- Text Size +
A few days had gone by and Trish was still not at ease. It was like Alex had finally understood her phone hadn’t once rung showing his name on her caller ID. She sighed heavily as she looked out of her office window.

“You ready?” Chelsea asked as she walked into her office with a cupcake in her hand. She slid the small candle into the cupcake and lit it. “Happy birthday.”

Trish smiled and shook her head, “Geez thanks for reminding me that I am turning to an old prune.”

“Your shouldn’t think like that Trish, you should think of yourself like wine the older the better.” Chelsea said handing her the cupcake. “Well make a wish and blow it out!”

Trish did as she was told and blew out the candle, but a wish she could not think of one. “Thank you for my cupcake.”

“Oh your welcome but in exactly ten minutes we are leaving to the spa to get ready for the best part of today… your birthday bash!” Chelsea said with excitement.

*******

“I will not leave with you dude if you get thrown out.” Nick told Alex as he waited for him to finish getting ready. “So what I don’t understand is why you need to go just send her the gift.”

“I want to look her in the eye when I tell her; I will give her what she wants.” Alex said as he came out of his room ready to go.

“I guess you ready?” Nick asked as he stood up from the couch turning of the TV.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Alex said grabbing his hat and the envelope with his present for his wife. “I glad I got my tattoo done; it made me clear my head. Now I know I can go in there and tell her what I need to tell her.”

“That is one badass tattoo dude,” Nick said commenting on Alex’s new addition to his body art his badge from his precinct. It looked so real like it was imbedded in his skin.

“Working as a cop has its good memories.” Alex said sighing as the best of the all memories flooded his mind…

[Flashback]

“Don’t worry my mother likes a full house on Thanksgiving. The more the merrier she says.” Howie told Alex as they walked to his parent’s house.

“I should have brought something a least,” Alex said nervously.

“Don’t worry ok just be friendly and I know you don’t have any problems with that.” Howie told his partner.

As soon as he opened the door he was bombarded by his nephews and nieces, “Hey there yep uncle Howie is here.” He said as all of them wrestled him to the floor.

“Alright everyone off him now….or he will arrest you all.” Pollyanna said as she helped her brother up and then froze as she saw the stranger just smiling at the seen in front him. She cleared her throat and then eyed Howie, “I so sorry my nephews and nieces don’t see much of my brother so they tend to take advantage when they do see him.”

“Oh right sorry Alex,” Howie said as he hugged her sister. “Polly I want you to meet my partner, he’s actually a really good friend as well. Alex and Alex this is Polly one of my sisters.”

Alex shyly shook her hand and cleared his throat, “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here but we should at least get you comfortable come on in,” Pollyanna said she gladly to his coat.

Most of there family was already there and like Howie had said were super nice. They had welcome Alex like one of them. It wasn’t till Mr. Dorough began to complain about why they weren’t already eating that the mention of the youngest of the Dorough’s was mentioned.

“Sweetie we are waiting on Trish,” was the words that came out of Howie’s mother.

No sooner had she said when the front door opened and a giggle was heard. “I’m sorry I’m late but Tony had –” Trish stopped talking when she realized there was a stranger amongst them. She quickly let go of Tony’s hand and cleared her throat.

“Hello everyone,” Tony said as he walked in and began to greet everyone like family.

Trish finally moved from where she stood and went to hug her father. After greeting everyone else she took a seat next to her favorite brother… Howie. “So who’s the stranger?” she asked him as she eyed Alex curiously he was sitting on the other side of Howie.

“Well hello to you too,” Howie said kissing her sister on the cheek. “Trish this is my partner Officer McLean.”

“Officer McLean do you have a name?” She asked as she extended her hand to him.

“Alex,” he managed to say as he looked her. She was the same girl he had seen two months earlier at the station. He had never brought her up to Howie fearing it was Howie’s girl but now new hope arose when he realized he was only her brother.

[End of flashback]

“Yo Alex we’re here,” Nick said as he waved his hand in front his friend.

“Sorry there I was just thinking.” Alex said as he shook away the memories. “It looks like everyone is here.” He said out loud as they began to walk toward TJ’s.

*******

“Thank you everyone.” Trish said as she blushed and smiled. Everyone was there even Tony.

“You look great,” Polly said walking up behind her.

“Oh my god Polly,” Trish said hugging her sister. “I am so glad to see you.”

“Same here so the big three O,” she told her laughing.

“Ugh I know I feel haggard.” Trish said accepting the drink she was handed by a waiter.

“I’m even older than that Trish and I am not complaining,” Polly said as she took a drink of her glass.

“Ahem,” Howie said walking up to her sisters. “Happy birthday…” he said.

Then all of a sudden everyone began to sing to her making her blush. She hated having attention on her but every year she would still get the big bash. She looked around and was surprised to not see Alex anywhere. Not that she expected him too… but he never forgot her birthday since they had begun dating.

She couldn’t remember how many people she had already spoke too and the party was running smoothly. She had already danced a few times with Simone and Jeremy.

“You look great,” Tony interrupted her thoughts.

“Hey thanks,” She told him giving him a smile. “Well it’s to start fresh, a new life as well.”

“Yeah…” Tony agreed as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I still don’t understand how Alex could’ve let you go so easily? I mean your one of a kind…”

Trish looked away dreading what was sure to come from Tony, “I didn’t give him a choice,” she told him finishing her drink right after her comment.

“Well I know it’s still soon but, maybe now you can give me the opportunity to make you happy.” Tony said giving her a smile.

“Tony… I don’t think that’s a good idea. I think we are good friends and we should leave it at that.” Trish told him sighing in relief when she saw Howie carrying her cake with thirty candles on it.

“Happy birthday to you…” everyone sang as she walked up to Howie.

“Well little sis make a wish and blow out your candles.” Howie said as everyone surrounded the birthday girl.

Trish closed her eyes and blew her candles as she wished to be put in the right path to her happiness. “Thank you everyone.” She said as she opened her eyes, “Lets eat some cake!”

********

Alex and Nick had just walked in as Trish blew out her candles. If it wouldn’t have been for that fact he probably wouldn’t have recognized his wife. She was breathtaking with her new hair and the dress she was wearing.

“Ok I don’t know you from here on,” Nick told Alex with a wink to reassure him he was joking. “Oh and good luck,” he said as he went into the crowd soon disappearing into it.

Alex stayed where he was just waiting for the right opportunity to be alone with Trish. He soon smiled as Trish began to walk away and take a seat at the bar all alone. He walked toward unnoticed just like he wanted.

“Happy birthday,” he told her clearing his throat.

Trish gasped as she recognized his voice, “What are you doing here?” she asked as she saw him take a seat next to her.

“I haven’t forgotten your birthday. Besides I have the best birthday present for you,” He told her giving her weak smile. He reached in his jacket for the envelope and then handed it to her. “Open it,” he told her.

“Alex please take your gift and go,” Trish said as he tried to stand up and walk away.

“Please just open it.” Alex asked her as he stopped her from standing up.

“Fine,” she told him tearing the envelope and her eyes widen as she realized what they were. “I am not going with you to London Alex.”

“I know… I am not going with you. I had already paid for them before all this happened. I was going to surprise you with them and make plans to go just the two of us. But well now we can’t. I would still like you to go I know how much you’ve been wanting to go. I think it would be a great idea to take one of your friends with you.” he told her smiling at her. “You look good by the way.”

“Thanks, Alex I can’t take this. You should go and take Nick with you or one of your friends.” Trish said trying to be strong and not hug or kiss him at that moment.

“No I brought them for you, but that wasn’t the only gift. I also wanted to tell you something.” He said standing up and whistling, “Excuse me everyone…” Alex said getting everyone’s attention.

You could hear the gasping of surprised guests to see who was there. “I won’t take to much time here,” Alex said ignoring the murmuring going around the crowd. “Howie please just let me say what I have to say.” He told his friend who was now beside him grabbing his arm. “Trish please tell him to let me talk,” he said turning to look at a still very surprised Trish.

“Make it quick,” she said clearing her throat.

“Thank you.” Alex said pulling his arm out of Howie’s grip. “I wanted everyone to be my witness as I tell Patricia Lorraine McLean that I have come to the conclusion.” He paused and then spoke again, “that you’re right we should go our separate ways. So my other gift for you tonight is that YES I will gladly sign the divorce papers. Whenever you’re ready. Happy birthday Trish.” He said and walked out of TJ’s as fast as he could. He didn’t want anyone to doubt his words.

**********

She had to be alone so there she was in the restroom stall. She kept wondering why Alex was now ok with giving her the divorce. She was happy yet finally it dawned on her. She would have no ties with him anymore. Alex had given up on her for good.

“How did this happen?” she asked herself. She could feel the tears threatening to come out. She didn’t understand why his words hurt so much when she wanted him to agree all along.

“Trish you ok?” asked Pollyanna as she walked into the restroom.

“Yeah I’m fine… I’ll be right out.” She told her clearing her throat.

“Looks like he finally understood and he is ready to move on.” Polly said as she waited for her sister to come out. She looked at her sister tenderly and hugged her when she saw the tears rolling down her face.

“This it no more Alex.” she said as she began to sob. “I don’t understand why I feel like this when this exactly what I have been asking of him.”

“You still love him…” Polly told her.