- Text Size +
“Hello?” Trish answered as she walked into her apartment.

“Is this Mrs. McLean?”

“Yes may I ask who’s calling,” she asked wondering why so much formality.

“Hello ma’am I am Dr. Reed from Cedar’s and we are calling because your husband Alexander McLean has been in a car accident and is in critical condition here. We were able to retrieve his cell phone and that’s how we got your number.”

Trish felt a jab of guilt as she heard the doctor that is my ex husband she thought to herself as she tried to speak, “Ok… I’m on my way.” As she hung up.

“What wrong?” Chelsea asked as she saw her friends color drain from her face. “Is everything ok?”

“No Alex…he was in a wreck and is in the hospital.” She said in monotone state.

“Oh my is he ok? Do you want me to go with you?” Chelsea asked as she hugged her friend.

“I don’t… I don’t know if I should go.” Trish said controlling the urge to cry. “I was just with him discussing our divorce and now he’s in the hospital.”

*********

“Is he ok?” Howie asked he spotted his sister and Chelsea sitting in the waiting room.

“He is in the OR as we speak,” Chelsea said standing up to let Howie sit by his sister. “She’s been like this since she got the call,” she whispered to Howie. “I’m going to get some coffee want one?”

“I’m fine but how about you bring Trish a sprite?” Howie said as he sat by her his hand automatically wrapping around her shoulders.

“Ok I’ll be back,” Chelsea said as she walked away.

“I haven’t been able to call Denise,” Trish said finally looking up to her brother. “You should call her I am sure she is not very happy with our current situation.”

“She doesn’t know,” Howie told her as he took her phone from her hands. “Alex didn’t want to tell her till it was all done and over with.”

“He’s going to be ok right?” Trish asked concern evident in her voice. “I mean I don’t hate him I hate what came of our relationship.”

“I know Trish I know,” Howie said hugging her. “I’ll ask on his status in a minute just relax ok. Now do you know what happened?”

“Well after our meeting I know he was a little upset and he ended up wanting to go to court to for our dogs. We screamed at each other, I know I told him a few harsh things and then Mark took him. I was arriving home when I got the call; he still has me as a contact for emergencies.”

Howie took a deep breath, “this divorce thing is getting out of hand. Seriously… I mean look at you?” Howie handed the phone back to her as he stood up, “I am going to ask a nurse about him and I think we should wait till he is out of the OR to call Denise.”

*******

“Mrs. McLean?”

“Yes?” Trish said standing up as she saw the doctor walk to her.

“He’s fine still unconscious for the moment but he should be coming too soon. He does have a fractured ribcage only one rib is broken though. We are glad the broken rib didn’t puncture his lung though. He did get a few stitches on his head and he did break his left leg. His internal bleeding has been stopped though. He will make it, but it will be a long recovery.”

“Can I see him?” Trish asked as she heard the good news.

“Sure just one visitor at a time,” Dr. Reed said as he gave her smile.

“Thanks,” she told him as she saw her brother approaching.

“What did the doctor say?” Howie asked as he made it to his sister’s side.

After explaining to Howie what the doctor told her she told him about going in to see him. “Could you call Denise… I just don’t think I can.”

“Yeah ok, don’t be to long in there,” Howie told him as he took her phone.

*********

She stood beside his bed, somehow she felt guilty for this. He had left pretty pissed from the office. She cringed as she saw his bandaged head, “I’m sorry,” she whispered as she touched his hand.

She wanted to pretend that seeing him like this didn’t affect her so much but it was useless it did. She still loved him; she remembered exactly when she first realized that Alex was it for her…

[Flashback]

They had been dating for year already it was there anniversary. He never pressured her into anything and he was very sweet. Very gentlemen like, of course they did make out a lot but yet they had not gone further than that. She was sure Alex did but never insinuated it to her and he respected her views on that he had told her that when they had talked about intimacy.

One of the reasons for that was because well call her old fashioned but she still hadn't had sex yet… not because she hadn't dated in college or let alone high school. She hadn't felt that spark with any of the guys she had dated at any point.

She was also very aware of teenage pregnancy and she was not one to do that stupid mistake. She didn’t care much if that made her weird among her friends and she had been happy with her choice.

Any who back to the night of there one year anniversary he had taken her out for dinner and dancing. He actually had surprised her with a ballroom instructor and the subscription to his classes with him of course. He was going to be in them too.

They actually had dancing classed that night and were dancing to Dean Martin when he leaned in to her and whispered he loved her. After spinning her he stopped her and kneeled down on one knee. Of course she remembered the shock and the feeling of her air supply being cut short.

It had been a teary proposal, Alex was not so tough. He really was a softy and she knew that very well by then. After accepting his proposal her family including Howie who knew all along came out from wherever they were hiding.

It was that day that she really faced the fact that Alexander James McLean was her soul mate and that night had been a memorable one for both. She gave herself to him completely and it still was one of her favorite days in her life…

[End of Flashback]

“Trish,” Howie tapped her shoulder as he approached her. “Denise is on her way she is taking the first flight available. I offered to pick her up when she got here.” He stopped talking when he saw the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

“Ok,” she gave him a weak smile and cleaned her tear stained face. “I hate seeing people in hospitals you should know,” she told him clearing her throat.

Howie only shook his head and sighed, “I think its more than that.” He shrugged when he saw the glare from her. “Come on sis you can’t fool me… its ok to admit that you love your husband, you’re not going to go to hell for admitting it.”

Trish rolled her eyes at him and took a seat on the chair close to his bed, “You as my brother you should be taking my side not his. Then again you two did spend a lot of quality time together. You two were partners,” she eyed him suspiciously. “Is there something I don’t know about you two?” Hey he had started it.

“I am going to pretend I did not hear that,” Howie told her just as he saw Alex stir a soft moan escaping his mouth. “I think he’s coming to, we should get a nurse.”

********

“I’m sorry that you got called about this… but you can go now my mother should be here soon and Nick.” Alex told his wife who had not left his room at all.

“I don’t mind Alex; I’ve told you already I don’t hate you. I want to be your friend not your arch enemy just because we got divorced.” She told him as she helped as he tried to adjust his pillow with one of his hands. “Let me do it don’t strain yourself I know your in pain with the broken rib and all.”

“Thanks,” he told her as she leaned in to help. He face so close to his, “You look tired,” he told her as his finger automatically touched the area under her eye. A dark spot was there it was subtle but it was there.

“Yeah I had a lot of things to do lately and haven’t been getting my beauty sleep,” she told him as she pulled away. She was glad she had because no sooner had she when Nick walked in.

“Dude you scared the living shit out of me…” Nick said shutting up when he saw who was there. “Trish,” he acknowledged her and he automatically went to hug her.

“I should go check on Chelsea she’s been here for a while. I should tell her to go home and sleep.” Trish said avoiding the look Nick was giving her.

*********

Trish turned the corner and froze as she saw who was standing there. She felt the anger and she had to control herself from running up to her. Karen Rodgers was the person she did not want to ever see in her life ever. As she began to walk again toward her, her brother and Chelsea she compared Karen to herself.

They were so different for one Karen was much taller and had the all American girl look, including the blond hair. She on the other hand was short and her Latin roots showed very well in her body. They were two very different women and it only made her question Alex mentality more.

Karen was gorgeous she had to give that to her and it made her wonder if Alex had lied to her when he had confessed of his almost slip with her. She stopped tormenting herself as she reached them. “Chelsea,” she spoke.

“How’s he doing?” Chelsea asked her realizing the glare Trish was giving Karen.

“He says he’s ok of course he would say that. I actually came to tell you to go home and get some rest I’ll ride with Howie when he leaves.” She gave her brother the look as to ask why she was here and why was he talking to her.

“Yeah sure,” Howie said nervously a grin apparent on his face when he saw the look on his sister’s face. “Nick only passed by he is on duty. He and his partner just came by for a little bit.”

Trish shrugged at Howie’s explanation, “I’m going to go get something to drink and maybe eat. I’ll come back later,” she gave Karen a not so friendly smile.

“Wait I’ll go with you and then I’ll go home,” Chelsea said with relief she also could not stand Karen.

“I’m sorry about that,” Howie said apologetically to Karen. Somehow he felt like he needed to say that.

Karen smiled at him, “No I guess I deserved that I don’t think I am in her best friends list. I just hope she doesn’t think I am here because I know about there divorce.” Karen said actually happy she had caused Trish jealousy. Even if Alex had been clear of not being interested in her anymore.

“Trying to sleep her husband puts your on her not friends list,” he said catching her sarcasm.

********

“Totaled?” Nick asked bewildered by his friend’s accident.

“Yep you almost were going to my funeral instead.” Alex smiled sourly.

“Don’t say that… so Trish has been here?” Nick gave him a sly grin.

“Yeah but I think its only cause she feels guilty for trying to start a fight with me at the meeting with our lawyers. Can you believe she is trying to take Spike and Spencer away from me?” Alex told his friend.

“NO way dude those are your dogs,” Nick said and the he sighed, “Wait but aren’t you really not going to divorce her? Isn’t that you genius plan?”

“Yeah that’s why I said I would see her in court for the dogs.” He smiled and then grimaced when a jolt of pain hit him from his ribs.

“I guess listen I’m actually on duty but I’ll come back after I am out. Besides I am sure by now Trish has seen Karen.” Nick smiled evilly as he picture Trish launching herself at Karen. He liked Karen but Trish was like family.

“What?” Alex said surprised.

“Well like I said I was on duty she is my partner now, but I’m leaving I’ll be back later. Toughen up chief,” Nick told him tapping his good leg and wincing when he realized even that caused his friend pain.