Nothing Gold Can Stay by Maggie, Louise
Past Featured StorySummary: When times are tough, true friends are needed most.

"Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn does down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. "
~Robert Frost
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Other
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Sexual Assault/Rape
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 29315 Read: 48700 Published: 09/30/03 Updated: 11/10/03

1. Chapter 1 - Brian by: Maggie by Maggie

2. Chapter 2: Harry by Maggie and Louise by Maggie

3. Chapter 3: Kevin - by Louise by Maggie

4. Four - Lance by Louise by Maggie

5. Five - Nick by: Maggie by Maggie

6. Six - AJ by :Louise by Maggie

7. Seven - Alley Cats by Maggie by Maggie

8. Eight - Kevin by Louise by Maggie

9. Nine - Brian by Maggie by Maggie

10. Ten - Lance by Louise by Maggie

11. Eleven - Texas by Louise by Maggie

12. Twelve - Harry by Maggie by Maggie

13. Thirteen - Kevin by Louise by Maggie

14. Fourteen - Lance by Louise by Maggie

15. Fifteen - Brian by Maggie by Maggie

16. Sixteen - Howie by Louise by Maggie

17. Seventeen - Nick by Maggie by Maggie

18. Eighteen - Brian by Maggie by Maggie

19. Nineteen - Nick by Maggie by Maggie

20. Twenty - Lance by Louise by Maggie

21. Twenty One by Maggie and Louise by Maggie

22. Twenty Two - AJ by Louise by Maggie

23. Twenty Three - Howie by Louise by Maggie

24. Epilogue: Brian - by:Maggie by Maggie

Chapter 1 - Brian by: Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 1 - Brian

I winced as I went though the mail and saw all the bills we had to pay. Harry is not gonna like this, I thought as I stepped into the house. I considered for the eighth time that month about quitting school so I could get me a job to help pay off these bills. But there was no way that Harry or I was going to call our uncle asking for money. When you live where we live and live how we live, you learn to fend for those living under your roof as best you can. I took refuge with my brother last year after our mom died giving birth to my half-sister Julia and our step-dad didn’t want anything to do with either of us, me or Julia. Heck, he’d been cheating on mom, anyway. I’d caught him once two years back sleeping with Miss Lynette, my science teacher. He’d boxed my ears when he knew I’d seen them and threatened me with a good belting if I didn’t keep my mouth shut. I never told; I was scared to death of him.

“What’s in the mail, bro?” Harry called as I stepped through the open screen door. He was attempting to clean house, and part of it was airing it out.

I handed him the stack of bills and kept a letter I had found in the stack from Precious Eduardo, my girlfriend of six months. I’d bumped into her—literally—at the Sadie Hawkins dance last May. (I’d gone stag, a friend had begged me to come.) I’d spilled my punch down the front of her lavender dress and she told me off, then asked me to dance. She actually beat me to the punch and asked me for my phone number and said she’d call me later that week. We’d gone on three dates when her parents told her that they’d be going to Central America for the summer, staying mostly in Puerto Rico, her dad’s home country. Her mom was an American, so that made her half Puerto Rican. Anyway, she knew she’d be gone for the beginning of the school year, so her parents enrolled her for the next school year before they left. I promised her the last night we were together I’d send her all our work and a copy of the notes, quizzes, etc. through e-mail and regular post whenever I could.

Just before I tore open the envelope, I saw the look on Harry’s face as he glanced through the bills. It was almost a look of… defeat? Impossible; he always got our bills paid in one way or another. Always on time, too, although I could see it was stressing him out. I’d mentioned to him about quitting school so I could get a job to help pay the bills and take care of Julia (I’d brought her with me when I’d left. I couldn’t stand the thought of what might happen if I’d left her with our step-dad. She may be my half-sister, but I still care.) But Harry said I could get a job after school and on the weekends. He’d talked to his boss at the bar he worked at the day before to see if he knew a good place for me to work, and his boss said he had a sister that ran an after-school daycare program for little children. My interview is in a few days.

“Everything okay, Harry?”

“Ain’t nothin’ for you to be worryin’ about, B. Read your letter.”

Not thinking twice, I tore open the envelope and a picture fell out blank side up. I picked it up, turned it over and the only Spanish phrase I knew flew out of my mouth.

ˇAy caramba! She’s beautiful!”

The Puerto Rican weather had agreed with her and she had a beautiful tan, darkening her skin and bringing out her big chocolate eyes.

“Who is?” a new voice called out as Harry’s best friend and fellow gang member Eric “Texas” Matthews entered the house. He flopped down on the couch and waited for me to show him the picture.

“Your cousin is,” I said as I handed the picture to him. He and Harry started the Garrison clan a few years back, Harry told me. I’m an unofficial member because I’m Harry’s little brother and I don’t cause trouble for them. I met the gang shortly after Julia and I moved in with Harry, Texas being the very first one. I’m the second youngest in the gang at sixteen, the youngest being Nick Carter at fourteen and a half. Harry and Tex are the eldest at nineteen.

“Where is she?” Tex asked as he handed the picture back.

I read the letter to myself. “San Juan,” I replied. “She’ll be back right before Thanksgiving break. In two weeks!”

Tex laughed; no, he guffawed, and slapped me good-naturedly on the back.

“Gosh a-mighty, Brian, your ears can get red,” Harry commented.

“When don’t they whenever Precious comes up?” Texas laughed.

Harry rolled his eyes at Texas and stood to get dinner ready. Just as he reached the kitchen, I heard crying coming from the baby monitor on the coffee table. Julia had just woken up from her nap. I hurried up the stairs and into our room. Julia had her feet in the air and her fist in her mouth, a feature I noticed that meant she was hungry. I picked her up and started rocking her as I held her against my chest.

“Harry, do we have any more baby food?” I asked as I entered the kitchen.

“Didn’t the doctor say it’s time to start her on solids?” he asked.

“What sort of solids can a baby eat?”

“I don’t know. Try giving her a biscuit. I just baked some.”

I grabbed a biscuit and set Julia in her high chair. She grasped for the biscuit and I barely had time to tear it in small pieces before she started fussing. She grabbed a piece and stuffed it into her mouth.

Texas chuckled. “You’d think the poor girl had been deprived of food for three days the way she grabbed that piece.”

“Well, she’s got a strange appetite,” I said.

Harry abruptly changed the subject. “You got any homework, Brian?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I gotta finish Return of the King and write that report on it.” I suppose I ought to mention that I’m the only one of the gang to even remotely enjoy school. The others that are still in school just go for kicks. Except Nick; the thing he does best in is art, that’s the only reason he’s still going.

Within half an hour, the rest of the gang started to gather at our place. Howie and AJ were the first to arrive after Tex. Howie was half Puerto Rican like my Precious, but he was also half-Irish and he came from a big family, three or four sisters and one brother, and he was the youngest. AJ came with his girl Sadie, a sassy but hyper cheerleader. I hate cheerleaders; they’re too peppy. But Sadie was A.J’s girl, and he liked cheerleaders, so I minded my manners around her. Another thing; Sadie just drooled over Julia. She loved the little sweetie (her words, not mine!) and immediately started playing with her.

Five minutes later, the second oldest guy in the group entered. His full name was James Lance Bass, but everybody in our gang called him Lance. I was the only one allowed to call him Jim; he’d slug anybody else that tried it. He was eighteen and a half, and he was my idol.

Last of all came Nick. We’d hit it off pretty well when we’d first met and became good friends. I couldn’t exactly say I was friends with Lance, but Nick and I were buddies. Nick sat down beside me and smiled at me. I told him about the letter and showed him the picture I got from Precious.

“You just can’t wait for her to get home so you can get her in bed,” AJ insisted. Lance took a swing at him and he ducked.

“You shut your trap, Bone,” Lance commanded, “Not everyone’s like you when it comes to girls.”

“Cut the frabberjabber, guys,” Tex ordered, getting down to business, “Any more news on the Cats?”

“One of ‘em tried to jump me on the way here,” Lance supplied, “I shook him off with no problem, though.”

So that explains the cut on his cheek. I thought. I’d noticed it when he first came in, and I think he knew I did.

“Which one, Jim?” I inquired, curious and slightly afraid. I’d only been jumped once, but the guy that had done it would stay in my memory for the rest of my life.

Lance rolled his eyes. “Jason. Who else is so eager to jump us?”

“His henchman Brent, that’s who,” Harry replied.

“Brent?” I asked. “Brent Franklin?”

All eyes were on me and I suddenly wished I’d kept my big mouth shut.

“You know him?” Howie asked.

I nodded slowly. “He’s on the basketball team with me. We’re both volleying for captain. He’s an Alley Cat?”

The Alley Cats were the Garrison clan’s archrivals ever since the beginning. Jason was the leader. In his gang, size definitely didn’t matter. He was the smallest, but he exerted a lot of authority over his men.

Lance finally spoke. “Yeah, he’s a Cat. Been one for three years.”

“Oh.”

He reached over and patted my back, the only sign of affection any of the gang gives me other than a brotherly hug from Harry.

“Ain’t your fault, you’ve only been here a year.”

“What the heck was Jason doing out of his territory?” AJ demanded. “There could have been more than just Lance waiting around.”

“He’s getting aggressive,” Harry remarked, “and overzealous.”

“Sounds like he needs to learn a lesson,” AJ said, his eyes glinting with passion for a fight.

“Easy, Bone,” Howie warned. “Let’s wait a little while. Then if it gets real bad, we’ll do something about it. After all, Lance was able to take care of him alone.”

Howie Dorough, ever the peacemaker. He doesn’t want a fight unless it’s necessary and someone’s crossed the line too often. The guys agreed to wait and stayed for supper. When Julia started getting cranky, I had to insist to Sadie that Julia was getting tired and had to be put down for her nap. When she fell asleep, I hoped that she’d make it through the night this time.

The guys hung out at our place for about two hours; we just hung out, not really doing much but being together and watching television.
Chapter 2: Harry by Maggie and Louise by Maggie
Chapter 2- Harry

Brian entered the kitchen the next morning as I was fixing breakfast looking a little pale.

“You okay, bro?” I inquired.

Brian nodded as he sat down at the table. “I had a nightmare, but I’m okay.”

“A nightmare? What was it about?”

Brian shrugged. “Can’t remember.”

He didn’t meet my eyes, so I couldn’t tell if he was lying or not. I set his breakfast in front of him just as the phone rang. He jumped up and grabbed the phone from off the wall.

“Hello?”

I waited while Brian listened to the caller. Suddenly, there was a small sparkle in his eye. It had to be our cousin Kevin. No one else could put that sparkle in Brian’s eyes like that. If his eyes had been glowing, I’d know that it was Precious calling him.

“Let me ask Harry, but I think it’s all right.” Brian took the phone away from his ear and turned to me. “Is it all right if I spend a few days with Kevin?”

“As long as Kevin will make sure you get your work done.”

Brian rolled his eyes at me. “When have I ever not done my schoolwork?”

He had a point. The boy was the only person in the gang I knew that was infatuated with school.

“All right. How long?”

Brian asked Kevin, and listened for the answer. “A week or two,” he told me.

“One and a half. You’re not staying there for two whole weeks.”

Brian stuck his tongue out at me, but told Kevin anyway. I could hear Kevin good-naturedly make fun of me. Brian laughed and agreed with him, whatever he said.

“So when are you picking me up?” he asked.

“I can take you over there after lunch, Brian.” I offered.

“Okay.” Brian relayed what I’d said to Kevin and it sounded like Kevin agreed with it as well.

-----------------

Brian was already waiting for me at the car when I left the house. I chuckled; the boy was practically bouncing up and down waiting to go to Kevin’s house.

“Gee, you wouldn’t be excited, would you, Brian?” I asked.

“Darn right!” Brian exclaimed as I opened his door. “It’s been too long since I’ve seen him.”

I shook my head as I got in my side and started the car. “You’d think it had been an entire year with the way you’re bouncing around.”

“Well, it sure feels that way!”

Country blared through the speakers as we pulled out of the driveway. Brian sang along at the top of his lungs to Toby Keith.

American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There’s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head


I turned up the volume for him, knowing that this was one of his favorite songs. He smiled at me and kept singing. For a boy that just started puberty in recent years, he sounded amazing.

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we’ll put a boot in your ass
It’s the American way


Brian threw his head back and sang at the top of his lungs with all the enthusiasm he could muster (which was quite a lot for him).

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue



Yep, he could definitely have a career in front of him if he wanted. Well, if we could even afford it. Unfortunately, that’s not an option quite yet.

I pulled up in front of Kevin’s house just as the song ended. Brian didn’t even wait for me to turn off the engine before he was unbuckled and out of the car racing to Kevin’s front porch, where Kevin himself sat on the porch swing waiting with a carton of lemonade. He wrapped Brian in a tight bear hug and swung him around. By the time I got to the steps, the two of them were sitting and drinking lemonade.

“Not saving any for me, huh?”

“Hi, Harry,” Kevin greeted as he stood.

I shook his hand and handed Brian his bag that he’d left in the car. We looked up as a sporty red convertible pulled up to the curb. A 5’11” brunette climbed out of the car and headed our way.

“Is that Camille?” Brian asked.

Oh, this must be Kevin’s girlfriend. Kevin confirmed it and introduced us. I would have wanted to stay and chat, but I had to head home to take care of Julia then I had to head to work. I’d leave Julia with Lance again. I didn’t trust Sadie to take care of her, and I knew Brian didn’t either. I said my good-byes and told Brian not to annoy Kevin in the next week and a half.

“If anyone’s gonna be annoying, it’s Kevin!” Brian called as I stepped in the car.

I laughed as Kevin grabbed Brian around the neck and gave him noogies. He was going to have the time of his life.

That’s the life he deserves, Harold Baker Littrell, a voice in my head said. He deserves enough money to buy that guitar he’s always wanted. He deserves a life like his cousin.
Chapter 3: Kevin - by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 3 - Kevin

I watched Harry drive away, taking a sip of my lemonade while Brian babbled on about something. Man, that kid was wound up! Of course, I was just as excited about his visit as he was, but now that Camille was here, I couldn’t carry on so much.

Ah, Camille. She would have made a great model, if she was interested in actually working. She seemed really content just to be my girlfriend; Dad called her a gold-digger, out for a free ride. I don’t see how that could be… after all, I don’t have exactly a ton of money myself. That will change in eleven months, of course, when I inherit Grandma’s trust fund. But Camille doesn’t know about that, so Dad can’t be right about her. Mom… well, mom doesn’t say much about anyone, really. She just smiles and nods. I wonder if she really cares about anything.

“Kev-vy,” Camille said, “I thought we were going out today. Alone.”

“We can all go out together,” I answered, grinning at Brian. I know the kid almost never gets to go out, so I’d made plans before I ever called him up.

“What about… afterwards?” she said, close to my ear. I couldn’t help but feel a bit irritated at that. I mean, sure, we had our fun, but ignoring my cousin was just plain rude. And selfish.

“Camille,” I said, trying not to show my annoyance, “this is Brian’s first night visiting. I sure can’t just leave him here, now can I? We can be alone… later.”

Her red-glazed lips formed a perfect pout. “Maybe,” she said in a pointed voice, “there won’t be a later.”

I hate games. Especially these kind of games.

“Look, honey,” I said, “how about we all three go out to dinner, have a good time, and come on back for some movies and couch time?”

Anger sparked in her perfect hazel eyes. “I am not into threesomes,” she said, giving Brian a hard look. “And I don’t think watching movies is something I want to do in a group.” She drew back and put her hand on her hip.

Uh oh. Here it comes, the ultimatum.

“Either you take me shopping, like I planned, or I’m leaving.”

“We can all go shopping if you want,” I said, pretending I misunderstood. Yeah, it was kinda mean, but sheesh. She deserved it.

“You and me, Kevin,” she said succinctly. “Or not at all.”

“Well,” I said slowly, “I guess I’ll see you later, then.”

The stunned look on her covergirl face was priceless. Brian looked almost as shocked. Me, I kept my expression totally neutral.

With a frustrated cry, she spun on her heels… not easy to do in shoes that were at least three inches high… and stormed off the porch. I sipped my lemonade, watching as she walked to her car.

“You could have gone with her,” Brian said. I could tell he was feeling responsible for causing trouble between us.

“Yeah, but she didn’t want you around,” I said. “She can go be rude, alone.”

Brian grinned, then followed my gaze as she climbed into her sporty red convertible. “Man, what do you see in her, anyway?”

I laughed. “Bri, buddy, if I have to explain it to you…”

“No,” he said, blushing a bit. “I get it. I suppose she’s not bad to look at.”

“You should see her in a bikini,” I said, grinning widely. “Incredible.”

Brian mulled that one over, then nodded in agreement. Then, for some reason, he got serious just a bit. “Do you love her?” he asked.

I had to think about that one. I know the answer I was supposed to give, but… love? As in, the romantic kind of ‘spend the rest of my life with her’ love? I tried to imagine it. The two of us, ten years down the road, fifteen… No, I couldn’t picture it at all. Sure, I had feelings for her; after all, she was my first real girlfriend, we’d been together for nine months already. Seemed like forever on days like this.

“Well?” he asked again.

“I don’t know,” I said honestly. “Yeah, I love her, I guess… how come?”

“You deserve someone really good,” Brian said. He was being totally sincere.

“Don’t we all,” I said, ruffling his hair.

Five minutes later, we were chasing each other around the porch, neither one of us having the slightest thought about Camille.
Four - Lance by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 4 - Lance

I’d just finished the last of the dishes when I heard a car pull up on the gravel outside. I looked through the window and saw Harry climbing out; I waited for a second, and sure enough he went around to the other side.

Yep, babysitting duty again.

I didn’t mind, really. I mean, the kid was cute, and she was still in the catch-able stage… she could walk, but not quite run. My two nephews were getting too old to be much more than a pain and I had to admit I enjoyed taking care of Julia. She never talked back or argued, or made any kind of impossible demands. I could tell her my secrets and they’d be safe; she was the only one I could talk about my problems to who wouldn’t laugh or ignore me, either. But that wasn’t the real reason I felt special about this kid.

She’d lost her mom; it was a tough spot to be in. Although she was a newborn when it happened, I think she knew it already. She was as much of an orphan as I was, even though her old man was still alive. I know it was hard on Harry and Brian, too… any way I could help out, I’d do it.

Harry often left the rugrat with me… it was a win-win situation. He could leave her in safe hands, and I had the best excuse in the world to just be goofy and have fun. When your day was filled with stuffed toys and blocks and singing purple dinosaurs, you didn’t have much time to think about the hard stuff.

“La la la!” Julia squealed the minute I came out the door. I couldn’t help but smile… the kid was smart, she knew who her Uncle Lance was.

“Hey, Elf,” I said, reaching out for her. Her little chubby arms stretched as she wiggled in Harry’s arms. I took her and blew a big raspberry on her neck, causing another squeal of delight and a set of giggles.

Harry laughed. It was good to see him smile; it wasn’t happening that much these days.

“She told me that she missed her favorite Uncle,” he said, looking slightly hesitant.

“Did she?” I said as Julia bopped me on the nose with her tiny hand. “Well, that’s amazing, because I was missing my favorite Elf!” I caught Harry’s gaze. “I’m glad you brought her, Harry.”

He seemed to consider just how sincere I was for a few seconds before a look of relief crossed his face. “You sure?”

“Of course,” I said, pretending to nibble on her fingers, which seemed to want to pull the teeth out of my mouth for some reason. Man, she was charged up today!

“You got plans, um, tonight?” he asked me oddly.

“Not really, why?”

“Well, I’m gonna ask Mr. Thompson if I can do some overtime for the next couple of weeks,” he said kind of uncomfortably. “Money’s kinda tight.”

Harry was a proud man; he hated to let on that things were really rough. But I understood; we’d been friends for a long time. He wouldn’t accept a handout… not that I had much to offer… but he wasn’t so stubborn that he refused help now and again on other things.

“Where’s Brian?” I asked.

“He’s staying with Kevin for about a week and a half. He needed the break,” he answered.

In that moment, Harry looked way older than nineteen.

“Um,” I said, thinking fast, “I have an idea. If Bri’s gone, then his room’s free, right?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, how do you feel about a temporary roommate? That way I could keep an eye on the Elf and you wouldn’t have to worry about hauling her over here. And, you could work all the overtime you wanted.”

“I couldn’t ask you to-“

I lowered my voice and said, “Listen, I need out of this place for a bit, okay? This would be a perfect excuse. I love my sister, and Robert’s an okay guy, but… we need a little time away from each other. I can’t study with the kids running around at all hours, either. You’d be doing me a huge favor, Har. Please.”

From the way his expression changed, I knew I’d played it just right.

“I suppose that would work out, yeah,” he said. “When I get off work tonight, I can come around to pick up both of you.”

“Or you could let me have your key, and I could go on over later. Then you can start your overtime right away if you want.”

I’d have to take the bus, of course, but I didn’t mind. The thanks in Harry’s eyes was well worth the trouble.

“Lance, man, you’re the best,” he said, grinning.

“See?” I said to Julia, who was tugging at my hair. “Even your brother knows it, Jujubee. I’m the best!”

She answered me by drooling on my shoulder.

A few minutes later we waved goodbye to Harry. I carried Julia inside, then started thinking what I needed to pack. At least I hadn’t lied about needing a break from Stacy and company… although I’d never let the guys know it, things weren’t always so smooth inside these walls. I suspected that was a common story among the rest of the Garrisons. We never talked about it, we just… understood.
Five - Nick by: Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 5 - Nick

Mom was making meatloaf, a real treat when we were able to have it. Mom looked tired, so I offered to help. She worked a ten to six job at Faulkner’s Diner as a waitress, and it must not have been a real good day. She had to work, since our dad was killed in an accident at work when Aaron and Angel were only two.

“Need any help, mom?” I asked as I peeked in the doorway of the kitchen. “It smells really good.”

“Thank you, Nick.” Mom said. “But right now, all that needs to be done is setting the table. Oh, Aaron needs help finding his pajamas again. Angel is looking for her teddy. BJ and Leslie are doing their schoolwork, so don’t worry about them.”

“Okay mom.”

I found Angel’s teddy under the bed… wearing Aaron’s pajamas. I stripped the bear of the pajamas, gave it back to Angel, then got Aaron into his PJs, thankfully without protest. He looked a little sleepy to me.

We finally ate about ten minutes later. The meatloaf was a little burnt, but it was still delicious. Aaron didn’t want to eat his meatloaf, but mom said that if he wasn’t going to eat it, he wouldn’t get any chocolate chip cookies. Still sulking a little, Aaron ate.

After dinner, I helped mom clear the table and wash the dishes. As I dried them, I asked if I could go for a walk.

“But, Nick, it’s almost dark outside!”

“I won’t be long, mom. I promise! And I’ve got my switchblade and I still remember some karate from when Texas taught me.”

“Well…”

“I’ll be home before dark, mom.”

“Well… all right.” Mom hesitantly agreed. “But don’t go too far!”

I shook my head. “Just to A.J’s house and back; a block and a half.”

Mom still looked a little worried, but she let me go. I said “see you later” to everyone, then headed out the door of our one-bedroom apartment. I know, it’s small, but that’s all we could afford. Besides, I couldn’t really imagine living anywhere else.

Well… no, actually I could. Maybe it was just daydreaming, but as I ambled along the leaf-strewn sidewalk, I couldn’t help wondering what it might be like living on the rich side of town. All that money, and anything you could by with it. Like a new car, or new clothes, or anything you wanted!

Rich people got all the lucky breaks, I thought.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realize how dark it was until my foot caught in a crack in the sidewalk and I fell on my knees. Looking up, I saw the streetlights flickering on up and down the road. My eyes widened as I realized I’d passed AJ’s house by at least one block.

I got to my feet; all senses on alert and ready. The dark was when the Alley Cats really liked to roam the streets and look for people out for a nighttime stroll waiting to be jumped. Before I put myself in danger, I turned around and began running for home.

I slowed down as I got to my building and looked over my shoulder. I gasped; I could have sworn I saw a shadow trailing me. I tore open the door and raced up one flight of stairs to our apartment. Quietly opening the door, I saw that mom had pulled open the sofa bed; she and the twins were fast asleep. The covers had fallen to the floor, so I picked them up and covered the trio on the bed.

Slipping out of my shoes as I entered the bedroom, I saw that BJ and Leslie were kind enough to let me have the bed tonight as they took the floor in sleeping bags. That was a tradition with our family; we’d share the bed each night, but mom would always get the sofa bed. I said a quick prayer as I’d been taught since I was little, then crawled under the covers.

Sleep came easy for me that night, probably because of getting the exercise outside.
Six - AJ by :Louise by Maggie
Chapter 6: AJ

I left Sadie’s place with the taste of her strawberry lipgloss still on my mouth. Although it was almost Thanksgiving, the weather was still warm; I wore a jacket more to conceal my knife and carry my smokes than anything else. The walk from her place to mine was about eight blocks, just on the edges of Cat territory. I was taking no chances of being caught out with no weapon.

I smiled as I walked between the pools of illumination made by the streetlights. Sadie was a supreme kisser; if her folks hadn’t been around I might have tried a bit more with her. Of course, she would have probably said no, like she’s said for the last twenty times, but a guy has to try. Still, dating a cheerleader had its perks. I had an instant reputation that most guys only dream about. No one ever had to know that I’d never made it past second base with her.

I’d learned long ago that attitude meant the difference between success and failure. With the right attitude, you could make anyone believe anything. Of course, you never could pull it off with your true friends, because they knew who you really were. I was a smooth liar to everyone else, when the circumstances warranted it, but I could never lie to my buddies. Especially someone I cared about like Howie.

We’d been friends since… man. Since forever. We’d met as kids on one of the local b-ball courts and it just seemed right from the get-go. He was easygoing, while I was hot tempered, but somehow, we complemented each other. He said once that we were like two sides of the same coin. I liked that; Howie was real smart. And he had a heart of gold, even though he’d gotten it stepped on plenty of times. He made me feel good about myself, and I kept him safe. Like I said, it worked.

I looked around, checking my bearings. It wasn’t wise to let your mind wander, especially at this time of night. Suddenly every shadow seemed to be following me, and I quickened my pace. The walk was a confident one, though, not like I was running scared. Like I said, attitude was everything.

I wondered who was home at my place tonight. Hopefully my mom’s current boyfriend, Bill, was otherwise occupied. He seemed to want to father me; when he’d stepped up to the role, I’d laughed in his face. He wasn’t my father, never would be. I was too old to be told where to go and what to do; he’d tried bossing me around about the fourth month he’d been seeing Mom. For my mother’s sake, we’d declared a truce, but that didn’t include anything beyond being civil to each other. Suited me fine.

It occurred to me as I passed Sycamore Street that there was some kind of math test or something the next day; I wracked my brain for details. Yeah, it was algebra. Another useless class, another waste of my valuable time. In six months, I’d be free of school, and could get on with life. I had big plans, and none of them included algebra.

I pulled out a cigarette and lit it, never breaking stride. I had three more blocks to go, plenty of time to finish it before I got home. Mom didn’t like me smoking; I don’t blame her, it’s a nasty habit, not to mention expensive. But, I’d started smoking back in ninth grade, right after my old man got tossed into jail. Mom had divorced him right away, but she felt so guilty about everything that she never really got too hard on my case about it. At first it was to fit in, to look cool, but by now it had become a real habit. Howie had tried to get me to quit, and I had tried several times. At least I only smoked a couple a day, so I guess it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

As I turned the corner on 37th, I wondered if Howie had any secret bad habits. He seemed to know the score about most things, yet… he didn’t smoke, didn’t swear, and never drank a drop of alcohol. He also never started fights; he was the one that almost always kept the peace. I bet he’d make a great judge someday, although he’d never give anyone the chair. Sweet D, we called him. Like I said, a heart of gold.

I flicked my cigarette into the gutter as I stepped up to my apartment building: I’d made it, with no Alley trouble. Although I wouldn’t have backed down from a fight, I was kind of relieved that nothing had happened. With as much as I’d stirred up in the past, if they’d ganged up on me… well, I probably would have either woken up in a hospital, or just not woken up at all. These days, that was a very good possibility.
Seven - Alley Cats by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 7 – Alley Cats

A silent figure slipped in and out of the shadows as he hurried along to his meeting point. As he went, two others, then another joined him. By the time he stopped, a group of about ten was with him. He turned around and faced them, his gray eyes darkened by the shadows.

He turned to one. “Did you follow the Carter boy?”

The teen nodded. “I did. The situation is exactly like you suspected.”

The leader smiled, then turned to another of his men. “And what about the other boy… Harry’s kid brother. What’s his name?”

“Brian. He’s gone to stay with his cousin on the rich side for a week and a half.” He sneered. “I hear that his ‘girlfriend,’ cousin of Texas Matthews, is returning from Puerto Rico half a week after that.”

The leader raised an eyebrow, and his eyes glowed with interest. “Texas Matthews’ cousin? Who is she?”

“Precious Eduardo.”

“Precious,” he repeated. His lips curled in a sinister smile as a plan began to formulate in his mind.

"Precious." he said again. Yes, this would work perfectly.
Eight - Kevin by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 8: Kevin

I glance over at Brian; he’s got that look on his face again. We’re on the way to his job interview, the one he wants so bad at the daycare place. It could be worry clouding his eyes about getting the job, but I don’t think so.

I think he saw.

I was careful… I’m always careful. That first night, we’d had a great dinner out, then rented a few movies and crashed on the couch for the evening. I hadn’t relaxed like that in… well, a long time. With my father gone for the next two weeks, and someone fun and full of life at my side, well, it was like I’d won the lottery. Brian always lifted my spirits. The next day he had school, and I had to work, of course… but I only do part-time so I was able to pick him up and we began another fun evening.

That boy is a fiend on the basketball court. I could barely keep up with him; only my height gave me an advantage. I was only interested in a friendly game, but Bri lived for the competition. He was whupping my butt, and good, when he accidently elbowed me in the ribs.

Right where the worst of the bruises were.

Well, I couldn’t help but cry out; the pain was almost blinding. My suspicions about fractured ribs seemed like a good bet, from the way it hurt right then. I bent over, almost losing my dinner, and tried to keep it together.

Brian dropped the ball at once, the moment he noticed me hunched over with my arms across my ribs. He started apologizing right away, begging me to show him my side. Of course, I refused, and said that he’d just knocked the breath out of me. He didn’t buy it, though, and kept pestering me. Finally I told him to drop it. I guess my words were a bit harsh, because he did back off, a hurt look on his face. I hated that… I’d do anything to keep him from any kind of pain.

But the damage was done, and the game was finished. Silently we went back into the house, where I found Mom ironing. Ironing, at seven o’clock at night! She greeted us with that cheerful fake smile she always wore like a shield, and we, like good obedient boys, played along. She asked who won our game, and we told her it was a tie… she said that was nice. Brian said that he was going upstairs for a while to do his homework, and she nodded, saying that education was important. I have to wonder what pills she takes these days.

Brian was smart, that was for sure. And not just in school. He knew something was up with my ribs, but being Brian, he didn’t pry. Instead, he fished.

“So, how’s the side doing now?” he asked.

“It’s okay,” I lied, trying to keep my voice nice and smooth.

“I didn’t mean to do it,” he said carefully.

“I know, it’s okay,” I said. “What homework you got?”

“English essay, and a paper on geography,” he answered. “You look kinda pale, Kev. Something up?”

“No, just been a long day. Do you need any help with this stuff?” I asked, diverting his question.

“Nope. Got it covered.”

“All right then,” I said, going to leave. “I’m going to shower and change, then go downstairs. I got to call Camille, if she’s still talking to me.”

“Sounds good.”

I left, and soon was in my room stripping off my sweaty shirt. I never locked the door when my father was out of town; no need to. Mom never came up there, she never checked anything. I’d given up hoping she would a long, long time ago…

I stepped into my shower, keeping the water only medium warm. Heat felt good, but too much on my bruised skin tended to burn. Didn’t need any more pain. I was done quickly, and had wrapped a towel around my waist before combing my hair. I hadn’t brought my shirt in with me… I hated changing into damp clothes… and didn’t give it a second thought. My only goal was to get some pain reliever down my throat and to call Camille.

I crossed into the room, not bothering to look around. I had my back to the door when I heard him speak.

“Kev?” he asked in a strange voice.

Okay, I admit I have good reason to be skittish, what with my father’s ‘recreational’ activities and all. But his voice made me jump about a foot in the air. I was half turned around before I remembered myself.

I jerked back, keeping my chest and side from his view. Luckily, I grabbed the shirt that was right on the bed and quickly put it on. In as casual a voice as I could manage, I said, “You scared me, Bri. Didn’t see you there.”

“You okay?”

That’s when I think he knew. He’d seen the ugly dark bruises… how could he not? But, having years of practice at evasion, I said, “Sure, I’m fine.” I even managed a small laugh. “Except for the near heart attack you about gave me. You’re not done your homework already, are you?”

He kept silent for a bit. “No, still working on it.”

“You better go finish. You get it done, and we still got time for a movie. I got us that new mystery flick that just came out, Secrets the Darkness Holds. Sound good?”

“Sounds great,” he said, way too quietly. He turned and left me there without another word.


That’s why I think he knows. He had to have seen the injury. I mean, the thing is a good six inches across and as dark and ugly as it gets. He never said a word, to his credit. I mean, I’d hate to have to lie to him for real. He might only be my cousin, but he’s the closest family I have. Yeah, and that includes my two wonderful so-called parents and my bum of a brother.

I wonder if he knows that.
Nine - Brian by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 9 – Brian

Kevin and I waited in a side room for Natalie Page, the lady who would interview me for this job at daycare, Mr. Thompson’s sister. I thought about earlier that day after Kevin had gotten out of the shower. I had planned on apologizing one more time for what had happened on the basketball court, but then I’d seen it. A bruise, dark and ugly, about six inches long on his side. I thought I’d seen something on his chest as well, but I couldn’t be sure. I knew that I hadn’t been strong enough to give him that, so what could have happened? His mom wasn’t the type to beat anyone. Despite the fact that I’d known her most of my life, I didn’t really… know her. I knew Kev had a brother, but he wasn’t home often, so that only left…

It couldn’t be! Not my uncle! He was one of the coolest people I knew. Unless… unless he was just putting on that mask for me. That hurt worse than any bruise, and I knew that. Our step-dad, Garrick Thornton, beat me once because I’d forgotten to clean the car. That was years ago, I was only twelve, and the bruise was long gone.

I shook my head and turned my attention to the interview ahead of me. I really hoped I’d get this job.

A door opened and Natalie entered the room. She was about my height, 5’7” with her black hair up in a bun on the crown of her head. She looked about late twenties or early thirties. Kevin told me he’d wait for me outside, and Mrs. Page took the chair that Kevin had just occupied.

She picked up her pen and put it to the pad of paper she had in her hand. I noticed it was full of writing; the questions, I assumed.

“Let’s get to know one another before we start,” she suggested. “How does that sound?”

I shrugged. “All right.”

She smiled softly. I think she could guess that I was shy. I hated it when someone knew that. But she must have dealt with it hundreds of times.

“I’ll go first.” She said. “I’m Natalie Thompson Page. I’ve been running this daycare center for seven years and I’ve loved every minute of it. I love children.”

I smiled. “Me, too. I’ve got a little sister… well, half-sister… named Julia. We’ve been living with my brother for a year since my mom died.”

“And your dad?”

I shrugged. “I never met him. He died before I was born. Mom remarried when I was thirteen.”

“You must not like him then.”

Gee, you think? “No.” I replied.

“Well,” Natalie sighed, starting the interview. “When would you be willing to work?”

“Part-time.” I replied. “After school and on weekends.”

“You said you had a little sister. Do you think you’ve gotten enough experience with her?”

“I guess so. She’s a sweetie; she’s only a year and a half.”

We talked a little longer, and I gave her both my phone number and Kevin’s number, since I’d be staying there a few days longer.

It was dark when I finally stepped outside and saw Kevin waiting for me in the car at the curb with the engine running. With the interview over, my thoughts turned homeward. I missed Harry and Julia. I didn’t want to tell Kevin, though. I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t having a good time… I was having a great time… I just missed my brother.

“Think you’ll get the job?” Kevin asked as he pulled away.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. She’ll call me in a few days if I got it.”


As soon as we got home, I grabbed the portable phone and raced up to my room. I dialed home and waited while the phone rang.

“Hello? Littrell residence.”

Jim?” I asked. “How come you’re at my house?”

“I’m babysitting Julia,” he replied.

“Well, where’s Harry?”

“Working overtime.” Jim replied. “He started a few days ago after he dropped Julia off at my place. I’d suggested being a temporary roommate since you’re at Kevin’s and I need to get away from the zoo for a while.”

I smiled a little. But one thing he’d said startled me. “Why is Harry working overtime?” I asked carefully.

I heard him hesitate. “It’s bad?” I guessed quietly.

“Money’s tight, he told me.” Jim replied.

It’s bad. Harry hardly ever admits to trouble like that. If he actually admitted to money being tight like that… then it’s really bad. I curled up under the covers, suddenly afraid.

“You still there, little buddy?” Jim asked.

“Yeah,” I said softly. “I’m here.”

“Hey, listen, kid. Everything’s going to be okay. Besides, you just had that interview today, didn’t you?”

“Well… yeah… but I won’t know for a few days whether or not I got the job.”

“You’ll find something, Brian. Don’t worry about it.”

“But Jim—“

“Trust me, Brian. Things are going to be all right.”

Despite his words, I had trouble sleeping that night. I was worried about Kevin. I was worried that I wouldn’t get the daycare job. I was worried about our situation at home. I think it was close to one o’clock when I finally fell asleep.
Ten - Lance by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 10: Lance

It was around one o’clock in the afternoon and the house was quiet. Almost too quiet. I checked on Julia, partly because I wanted to make sure she was really asleep, and partly because I just loved to watch her. She was a really cute baby… well, almost not a baby anymore. She’d be hell on wheels once she got her running feet. Still, with her strawberry blond hair and green eyes, I could tell already she’d be a heartbreaker by the time she was Brian’s age. Then she wouldn’t have time for old Uncle Lance, and I wouldn’t be her favorite any longer. Better enjoy it now.

She was sound asleep, her thumb halfway in her mouth and her raggedy stuffed dog by her side. I wish I’d had a camera; they grow up so fast. For a second, I wondered if I would ever have a daughter, someone I could really call my own. Of course, that would require a woman to be in the picture, so I put that idea back on the shelf. Way back. I’d never even found a girl I wanted to date long term, much less make that kind of commitment with. Kids were not in my immediate future.

Cleaning, however, was. The place was pretty sparsely furnished, but that only made the job easier. It took me about an hour to get everything in order; hopefully Harry would be too tired when he came home to complain about me doing his job. I’d just tossed the last of the towels in the dryer when I heard the Elf’s babbling. Sure enough, she was awake and raring to go.

“Come on, Jujubee, let’s go shopping!” I said in a kind of cartoon voice. She looked at me sort of funny, then jammed her fist in her mouth. I laughed. “Okay, I won’t do that again. And how about some crackers and juice instead of that fist, huh?”

She didn’t argue, and before I knew it she was happily flinging half the crackers across the kitchen floor while the other half got stuffed in her mouth. She took the juice really well, sipping at the cup happily while I recleaned the floor. Soon I’d changed her and we were out the door.

Jackson’s Market was only three blocks away, and there was a small park nearby. The Elf loved watching the birds and the people, and seemed content to sit in her stroller and bounce and babble happily. I pulled out the book I’d stuffed in the pocket of the stroller, and did a little studying.

My goal was to finish my requirements for graduation by the end of December. I had a job waiting for me if I did, a decent one at the production plant in Riverside. It paid good, had regular hours, and most of all, offered educational benefits and a chance at a scholarship. If I ever wanted to get out of this dismal town, education was my only out. I had no real money, and without a higher degree than a high school diploma, I knew I’d end up spending my entire life right here. The thought made me frown every time; I wanted to travel, to see the world, to experience some of the things I’d read about in books. None of that happened here.

I would have been long graduated if the accident hadn’t changed everything. I was in 8th grade when my parent’s car was hit head-on by a drunk driver. The SOB didn’t even get a scratch, and is still probably driving today. My parents were buried three days after my thirteenth birthday.

My sister was married by then, and became my legal guardian. I guess it messed me up pretty good, because I don’t really remember much of that year. Suffice it to say, I got held back in school, and have been playing catch-up ever since. Howie, who had been one year behind me, suddenly was my classmate. Although he never let that affect our friendship, it still bothered me that I was ‘behind’.

I spent a good hour studying Civics; since I only had a couple of classes, they let me just come in for the exams and for a few special lessons. Suited me just fine.

Julia began to fuss, and I could tell it was time to hit the road again. We proceeded on to the market, where I spent most of my money on stuff for the bare cupboards and empty shelves of the Littrell house. By the time I was finished, I could barely see the kid for all the bags hanging off the handles.

While the Elf chewed happily on a cookie, I headed home. I asked her if Harry liked vegetable soup, but only got a burble for a reply. Taking that as a ‘yes’, I pushed us along the sidewalk, already planning my afternoon activities. Soup wouldn’t solve all Harry’s problems, but things didn’t look as grim when your stomach was full. He’d been hungry way too long.

The soup wasn’t the kind of thing you really had to watch, so I kept it at a low simmer and spent some time making a fool of myself for Julia. I fed her… not soup, just some oatmeal and milk… and settled down in the living room for a while. She suffered through the evening news, so it was her turn; we were checking out some cartoons on television when the phone rang. It was Brian.

Ten minutes later, I hung up the phone. Brian was worried, I could tell. The kid was sharp, I was sure he realized what Harry working overtime implied. I was just glad that he was having a little fun over at Kevin’s. It wasn’t much, but it was something.

Mentally, I wished him luck on getting the job, although daycare positions are usually given to women. Completely prejudiced, I know, but that’s the way the world worked. Bri would be great at it, he’d always done a terrific job with the Elf and he was only 16. That had to count for something.
Eleven - Texas by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 11: Texas

I stepped through the door to see the gang sitting around the living room waiting for me to show up. Brian was the only one missing, but he technically wasn’t a member. Harry would kill me for saying that, so I never did… aloud anyway… I kept it to myself.

They all looked up as I entered, including little Julia sitting on Nick’s stomach holding a baby’s keychain. Julia looked up at me with those big green eyes of hers and cooed.

“Tess,” she said, and waved.

Dang, that kid gets cuter every day. I smiled at her and took the chair that Lance had relinquished as he sat on the floor.

“What’s the word on the Cats, garrison?” I began. “Any of ‘em stirring up trouble?”

After a brief hesitation, Nick spoke. “I think I was followed by one of them the other night while I was out walking.”

“I was walking home from Sadie’s house the other night.” AJ admitted. “That’s right on the edge of Cat territory. I can’t be sure, but I think someone was following me, too.”

“I hope you had your blade with you,” Harry said.

AJ gave him a look. “Just what makes you think I’d be going in that direction without it?”

“You can never be too careful in that part of town, McLean,” I pointed out. “They’ll jump anybody… or worse.”

I saw a couple of the boys shudder and knew how they felt. I’d been jumped a few times myself by a Cat.

“They’re expanding their territory,” Howie said. Normally he was so quiet, you forgot he was even there.

“Like they don’t control enough already,” AJ spat. “We gotta do something.”

“A couple of maybe-followings isn’t enough to call a council,” I said. “I won’t back away from trouble, but I ain’t gonna start none, either. We need to keep it cool, let them make the first move.”

“The Street Festival is in a couple weeks,” Howie said. “Over on Maple. Neutral territory. I be they’ll try to start something there.”

“If they do,” I said, “we’ll be ready. Until then, no one wanders off alone.” I gave a glare to Nick, who got real interested in Julia suddenly. “Understood?” I said, right to AJ. His jaw clenched.

“I won’t sit home, scared to go see my girl or live my life,” he said in a hard voice. “I’ll agree not to start something, but if they do… I’ll finish it.”

His attitude was a double-edged sword. He was tough in a fight, good to have at your back… but he was also strong-headed enough to get into trouble all by himself.

“Just remember,” I said, “one Cat is no problem, even two… but you almost never catch them alone. If they’re expanding, they’ll be traveling in threes or fours… or more.”

He was stubborn, but he wasn’t stupid. He nodded agreement a second later.

“All right,” I said. “Enough about the Cats. Just keep your ears and eyes sharp, okay?” Agreements all around. Yep, they were a good bunch of guys. Proud to be with ‘em.

Julia began fussing a bit, unhappy with the keys that Nick was trying to entertain her with. When she flung them away, hitting Lance on the back of the head, I had to laugh.

He grinned, shook his head, and picked up the bright plastic toy. “I think she seconded your motion. No more Cats.” He turned to her and held out the keys, which she was suddenly interested in again.

“Ki ki ki ki ki!” she cried. Dang, that kid was smart!

“How about bath bath bath,” Lance said. “Then bed.”

“KI!” she squealed.

Of course, she got what she wanted. She wasn’t even two, and she had every one of us wrapped around her little chubby finger. But Lance wasn’t to be denied, and he scooped her up while she began chewing. “I could use some help, if any of you guys are secure enough in your manhood to do it.”

AJ, of all people, stood up. “Sure, I’ll give ya a hand,” he said. “Got to make sure you don’t drown the kid or anything.”

I saw Lance’s hidden smile. He knew, just like I did, that AJ adored the kid, but refused to show it. The three of them left the room, and it was then that I noticed a package on the coffee table. It was from Puerto Rico.

“That came today,” Harry explained. “No doubt it’s from Precious, since it’s addressed to Brian.”

I chuckled. Those two were so infatuated with each other that when they were together, it was difficult to get them apart. If you called Precious into the kitchen for a phone call, Brian went with her and just stood to the side until it was over. Or if Julia needed tending to, Precious would follow Brian and watch him take care of her, helping on occasion.

“Quite the pair,” I said.

“Yes, they are.”

The rest of the evening wasn’t all that exciting; Harry was beat, from his long hours at the job, so we kept things low key. We didn’t do much more than watch television, but no one complained. We were like family, and when we were together, things just didn’t seem as bad.
Twelve - Harry by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 12: Harry

Lance and I ran around the house straightening up like madmen. Yeah, pretty strange for boys, right? Well, I can’t stand a messy house. Obviously Julia must have been thinking that we were acting incredibly strange, since she was standing up in her playpen laughing at us.

“It’s not funny, Elf.” Lance told her, bending over to get in her face. “Do you want your brother coming home to a pigsty?”

“Pig pig!”

“That’s right, a pigsty. That’s why we’re cleaning up, Juju.”

“La Hay lee!” Julia laughed and Lance rolled his eyes.

“Do you want a translation?” I asked.

“No, I got it.” Lance replied. “When is Brian coming back?”

I looked at my watch. “Probably less than ten minutes.”

It turned out to be less than five minutes. Just as we finished, Brian bounced in the door, happy to be home. We hugged each other as though it had been months instead of a week and a half since we’d seen each other last.

“How are you, little bro?”

“I’m good,” he replied as he hugged Lance too, then went to Julia. “I’m nervous, though. I haven’t heard back from Natalie yet. I’m thinking I should call her just in case I missed the phone call.”

Without waiting for any of us to reply, Brian headed for the kitchen and dialed my boss’ sister. I turned back and saw Julia tugging at Kevin’s pant leg now that she was out of her playpen.

“This can’t be Julia!” Kevin cried as he lifted Julia off the floor and into his arms. “Last time I saw you, you weren’t even crawling, missy.”

Julia just burbled and smacked him on the nose. Kevin grabbed her hand and pretended to eat her fingers.

I laughed. “Can I get you anything, Kev?”

“Nah, no thanks.” Kevin replied. “I’ll stay long enough to find out whether or not Brian got the job then I’ll go.”

“I’ll wait, too.” Lance said.

We turned our attention to the kitchen, where Brian stood with his back to us, listening to Natalie. After a moment, my heart fell when I saw his shoulders slump. He didn’t get the job.

“Aw, man.” Lance murmured.

I heard Kevin sigh. “He was really looking forward to getting it,” he said. “He had his hopes up so high for this.”

I went to Brian’s side as he slowly put the phone down, as though it were heavy. I gently started rubbing his back with one hand.

“I’m sorry, Brian.”

“I really wanted that job,” he whispered.

“I know you did,” I said. “But maybe you’ll find something else.”

Brian just shrugged and stepped away from me. He left the kitchen and started up to his room.

“Well, don’t forget,” I heard Lance say as Brian climbed the stairs. “Precious is coming back in a few days. Maybe she can help you.”

Brian paused, then turned and smiled at Lance. “Thanks, Jim.”

I smiled inwardly. Good old Lance. Just like him to lift my brother like that. It was easy to see from that why Lance was Brian’s hero.
Thirteen - Kevin by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 13: Kevin

Today is Thanksgiving, a national holiday.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time for family… you know, the loving warm fuzzy picture that everyone has in their minds where there are lots of happy people sitting around, eagerly awaiting to share good food and camaraderie. It’s a time to give thanks for what you have, a time of reflection on all the blessings in your life.

I hate Thanksgiving.

It was okay when I was younger; back then, when Thomas was still living with us, we’d all pack up and go to one of the relative’s houses to celebrate. I can remember good times with Harry and Brian, long before their family fell apart, when we were all sure that life would just go on happily forever.

That was before we understood what reality was all about. Before Thomas tried his escape through drugs, before Mom began drifting away in her make-believe world, before my father began taking out his unhappiness on whatever was convenient. Which, usually, meant me.

Thomas left when he was 18; he hasn’t been back for seven years. Not once. Mom… well, my father might hate the world, but he’s not stupid. She’s his bread butter; without her money, he’d have nothing. Even in his most drunken rages, he’d never gone after her. No, there wasn’t a reason, not when there was a better target.


This year, our little Thanksgiving celebration had started one day early. Yesterday my father had come home, already half drunk as usual, not happy that he’d lost another sales account with a fairly important client. Mom, of course, tried to soothe things over, springing the supposedly good news on him that we had all been invited to a friend’s house for the traditional turkey dinner. He went ballistic.

First he went on a long rant about pride and how a man ought to be able to provide food for his own; he babbled on about not accepting charity or something and how unfair it was that a hardworking man couldn’t get a break. He told my mother that under no circumstances would we be going anywhere but home on Thanksgiving. Then, after spending some productive time busting up some dishes in the kitchen, he screamed at her to clean up the mess. Next, of course, he proceeded to get totally and completely drunk.

I went upstairs and locked my bedroom door… standard operating procedure… and tried to figure out what to do. I called Brian, and talked to him for a while; the kid always makes me feel better. He was totally wound up about Precious, who’d arrived in the States the day before. Excitedly, he told me that he, along with Julia, would be spending Thanksgiving with her and her family. I almost laughed at his enthusiasm. Casually I asked what Harry was doing for the holiday, and he told me that he was working… getting double time pay, something that he was really keyed about. Well, there went my escape plans in just a few short sentences.

I let him go fairly quickly, he sounded like he’d had about ten cups of coffee in a row. Precious always did that to him, and I had to envy that a bit. I called Camille next. Her greeting was somewhat less than enthusiastic; things had been pretty icy between us ever since Brian’s visit. We’d said some harsh things to one another, and neither one of us wanted to make the first move. Still, even Camille’s aloof company would be better than my silent mother and sullen father. I wanted to be anywhere but home come tomorrow.

When I told her that I’d like to spend the day with her, she rather coldly told me that she had other plans. Her parents were going to her Uncle’s house, a couple of cities away. She then said that if I had wanted to spend some time with her, I should have apologized earlier. Funny, but she seemed to miss the fact I hadn’t apologized at any point in the current conversation. A few clipped words later, she said her good-byes.

I hung up, feeling utterly alone. I made a couple more phone calls, all unproductive. Texas was having a huge family get-together… of course, Precious was his cousin, so that’s where Brian would be as well. I wished them a good holiday, and tried Howie. Now, Howie’s family was even larger than Texas’, and I could barely hear him speaking over the clamor. Apparently the relatives had come early, and he was immersed in what seemed like a happy, joyful chaos. I wished him well also, and hung up feeling even lonelier than before.

As a last resort, I called Lance. We’d known each other for years, and I considered him a casual friend. I probably was overstepping the boundaries, but he was the kind of guy that would help you out if he could, no matter what.

He was surprised to hear from me, but seemed fairly happy about the call. We chatted a bit about Brian, and he ended up asking me what I was doing for Thanksgiving. When I told him I really had no plans, other than wanting to not be at home, a kind of long pause came over the phone. Just when I was about to say something, he spoke.

“Well,” he said, “Stacy and her husband are taking the kids over to his parent’s house for the day. I was planning on staying here and studying. I know it sounds terminally boring, but… if you want to come and hang out, that’d be cool.”

And just that fast, my dilemma was solved. I accepted, told him I’d be over around noon, and promised to bring something to eat besides chips and pretzels. He seemed really pleased that I agreed to come, and for the first time that day I felt good about something.

I waited until I was pretty sure my father had passed out, then snuck downstairs to see what we had that I could stash away for my trip. My mother was sitting there at the kitchen table, staring into space with a horribly blank look on her face. I spoke to her, but didn’t get much of a response, so I went about my business. I was surprised when, just as I was about to leave, she told me that she would be going over to her friend’s house tomorrow.

Then she shocked me completely by saying that she had filed for divorce two days earlier.

I sat down, kind of numb. For the first time in… well, I don’t know how long… she looked right into my eyes.

“Kevin,” she said, “I just can’t be here any longer. I’m sorry. I’m going away tomorrow and not coming back.”

“What… what about me?”

“I can’t… can’t handle anything else right now,” she said, looking away. “I’m leaving everything, the house, the furniture… he should be happy with that.”

I looked at her in horror. She was also leaving me… didn’t she know what that would mean?

“But-“

“You have the money in your savings,” she said. “And the trust fund next year for your schooling.” She stood up and refused to meet my eye. “You’re grown now. You don’t need this… me… any more.”

With that, my mother walked out of the kitchen.

I don’t know how long I sat there. I guess I shouldn’t have been so stunned; I’d been wondering for years why she hadn’t left him. But never, in all my imaginings, did I ever think that she’d leave me too.

Sure, I was twenty… and I’d been pretty self-sufficient for years… but it still was a hard blow. I’ll never admit I cried like a baby, sitting there in the kitchen last night. Grown, self-sufficient men just don’t do that kind of thing. Right?

I realized I had nowhere to go. I sure couldn’t stay in the house with him; the minute he found out about the divorce, all hell would break loose and quite frankly I didn’t want to be anywhere near that. After I started thinking clear, I tried to figure out where I’d go.

I was packing my bags an hour later and still hadn’t found an answer. But, I had a plan. I’d take everything I could, and when I went over to Lance’s house on Thanksgiving, I’d ask his help in finding a place. Surely I could make do in some motel for a couple of days until I got an apartment lined up.

I knew that my father would be passed out the rest of the night; he usually slept off a drunken binge until the next afternoon. I’d get up early, sneak out with my stuff, and be long gone before he ever had a clue. My mother… well, I didn’t know what to think about that. If she was smart, she’d leave first and then call the bastard to give him the good news over the phone. As far as the two of us…

It was too soon to figure that out. She knew Harry’s number, she would be able to track me down when she got her act together. If she got it together.

I actually fell asleep fairly quickly, if you can believe it. I guess it was all the stress catching up, I don’t know. But when I woke up this morning, it was to a deathly quiet house. Perfect.

I showered and dressed, then sorted through a few more things. I was surprised at how easy it was to leave most of it behind; I guess that emotionally, I’d left the house long ago. With me went my photo album, my camera, a couple of yearbooks, and a bunch of CDs. The rest was clothes and my good boots; I eyed off my stereo system, but since it wouldn’t fit in my suitcases, decided to ditch it. I heard a car door slam, and went to the window just in time to see my mother’s departure. No fanfare, no apology, no good-byes. Just a cloud of dust and a rumble of rubber on gravel.

I glanced at the clock, and saw that it was just after nine thirty. I looked around, snapped my suitcases shut, and hauled them to the door. As a precaution, I listened for any sounds, but heard only silence. Carefully I crept out into the hallway, down the stairs, and out to the garage. Perfect.

I had my stuff in the car, and was about ready to go, when I remembered my lockbox. In it were the trust papers, my birth certificate, keys to my safety deposit box, and the wedding ring set my grandmother had wanted me to have and pass on to my someday-wife. I wanted to curse, to yell… how could I have forgotten it?

I debated for a long minute, then realized that once I left, I didn’t ever want to come back. Not for anything. I had to go get the box. I silently went up the stairs, not hearing a sound anywhere. I slid the box from the top of my closet, checked the contents, and tucked it under my arm. A sense of liberation, of freedom, took hold of me and I knew my life was about to change.

I didn’t see the shadow by the back door.

My hand was reaching for the knob when the first blow came. Something hard hit the side of my head… could have been a fist, or a bottle, or a brick for all I could tell. The pain erupted, and I saw stars. I fell to the floor, the box flying out of my grasp, and felt another brutal hit to my ribs. I heard a snap right before the blinding flash of white.

The details that followed are still fuzzy. I remember the smell of alcohol, a few angry, acid words yelled in my ear, and blow after blow to every part of my body. Everything washed into a long blur of pain; I don’t know which was the final shot that sent me into oblivion some time later.

Happy Thanksgiving, Kevin.

I woke up about half an hour ago, surprised to find myself able to move and see. There was complete silence in the house, and I cautiously rolled over and sat up. It took me three minutes, according to the clock on the wall, but I did it. I’m sure he had thought me dead, but he’d failed even in that. For once, I was grateful for his ineptitude.

The lockbox was still there; it had a dent on one side, but it was intact. I gathered it up, then half walked, half crawled to the door. I made it down the three short steps, and navigated my way to the car in the garage.

I had no idea where he was, nor did I care. I sat in the seat for a couple of minutes, until most of the dizziness passed. Then, I started the car and backed it out.

The traffic is pretty light, which is good. I keep having these moments of blackness; just a few seconds, but they are scaring the hell out of me. I can’t be doing more than thirty miles an hour. But my only thought is to get to Lance’s… I’ll be safe there. He’ll know what to do. Lance always helps.

A car horn is blowing… the guy behind me looks impatient. I must have spaced out at the stop sign. I ease forward, realizing that this is the last street before Lance’s. The numbers on the houses are blurry, so I go slow. It’s been a while, but I remember his house is light blue. Such a happy color. I wonder if Lance is happy.

I think this is his house. I hope it is, anyway, because I don’t think I can make it any further. I lean back and close my eyes for a moment, waiting for the weirdness to pass. Someone is calling my name, and I force my eyes open.

Lance is saying something through the window. Behind him I see the blue house. Such a happy color… but he doesn’t look very happy. He looks scared. That’s not right.

The door opens, and I go with it. I am looking at gravel, Lance’s gravel.

He wants me to come with him, to go inside. Oh! Maybe that will make him happy.

I try my best to walk, but the ground keeps tipping.

Somehow, I’m inside his house. Such a happy house.

“Happy Thanksgiving, Lance,” I say.

He’s such a good friend, because he reaches out to hug me just before I hit the floor.
Fourteen - Lance by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 14: Lance

I put the phone down: no answer, again. I glanced at the clock, noting that Kevin was over an hour late. I knew it only took twenty minutes, tops, to get to my house, and that figured in heavy holiday traffic. If I’d had a car, I would have tried to find him. As it was, I had to play the waiting game.

His phone call had surprised me, but I was glad that he wanted to come over and chill for the day. Truth is, while I didn’t want to go with Stacy and company, I also didn’t relish the idea of being alone. He’d sounded a bit lonely on the phone… I understood that one for sure. It’d be good to catch up, at the very least. We had been on the same baseball team in high school for two years, until he graduated; we saw each other over at Harry’s, occasionally, but that was it. Yeah, it would be good to see him for more than a few minutes at a time.

I hoped he didn’t mind a couple of frozen turkey dinners; until he called, I’d planned on nothing more than peanut butter and jelly for dinner. He was pretty easygoing; I just hoped he wasn’t disappointed with my humble offering. He was probably used to real fancy stuff, and we did the Hamburger Helper thing like twice a week. One thing I will say about Kevin, though… he has money, but he’s no snob.

I peered out the window once again, but there was still no sign. I put on my jacket and decided to wait outside; I left the window open so I could hear the phone if it rang, then went to sit on the steps. It was a fairly nice day; maybe, after dinner, he’d want to toss a ball around for a while. I bet he was still in great shape; he’d been one of the best pitchers I’d ever seen. I was sure I had both my gloves somewhere in my closet.

I sat down on the steps, noting that they were due for a new coat of paint. The entire house could use some work, but if I brought it up, guess who would be elected to do the job. Mouth closed, Lance, you’ve got enough on your plate.

I’d been outside for maybe ten minutes, trying to keep myself distracted from worrying, when I heard a car coming down the street. It caught my attention because, unlike most of the traffic in the neighborhood, it was approaching very slowly. I stood up the second I saw the dark green color of the car through the neighbor’s fence… it had to be Kevin. I realized he must have been going slowly because he was unsure of the house number. With a grin, I recognized his car; sure enough, he turned into the drive.

But something was wrong. I could tell it right away, because he only got halfway up the driveway before the car lurched to a halt. When the car continued to run, I sprang off the step, every alarm going off in my head. I ran the short distance, but froze when I got close enough to see inside.

It was Kevin, all right, but he was ghostly white… except for the crimson that covered the left side of his face, and the nasty purple bruises that decorated the rest. My heart caught in my throat as I watched his glazed eyes lose their focus just before he fell back. I tried the door, but it was locked. I banged on the window, close to panic; somehow he came around enough to hit the auto locks. I yanked open the door and, to my shock, Kevin tumbled out onto the gravel before I could catch him.

I was afraid to touch him, but I didn’t have a choice. I swallowed my fear and helped him to sit up; he nearly passed out on me, but I kept calling his name every time his eyes shut. He managed to stay awake, and I knew I had to get him inside, and fast.

He probably didn’t understand a word I said, but he did finally get to his feet, leaning heavily on me. He’s a big guy, over six foot tall, probably outweighs me by forty pounds. But that didn’t matter… nothing mattered but getting him inside where I could figure out how bad he was hurt and what to do about it.

I nearly lost him halfway to the door; he swayed wildly, and if I hadn’t been gripping him so damned hard, he would have ended up on the ground. Again. And the last thing he needed was one more injury.

We made it to the steps, and I think I ended up dragging him inside the house. He sure wasn’t helping any, and I could only hope that I could get him to the couch before he went all the way out. He seemed steady for a second, and I turned to shut the door, one hand still on his arm. When I turned back, his emerald green eyes were looking at me from a terrible distance. He spoke, which surprised me.

“Happy Thanksgiving, Lance,” he said, right before his knees went out from under him. He was completely out of it by the time he made it to the floor.

I had to drag him to the couch, but then I realized that there was no way to get him up there. Instead, I ran to my bedroom and brought back a couple of pillows and a blanket. I propped up his head and tried to calm my thoughts.

My God, there was such a horrendous amount of damage… and that was just from what I could see outside of his clothes. I knew there was more. My mind blanked at the enormity of the pain he must have suffered… and I dared not speculate the source. I needed to tend to his injuries first, then think about the other stuff later.

I nearly cried when I saw the bruises that, literally, covered his body. I guess I went on automatic mode, because that was the only way to deal with the situation. From the looks of it, he had at least one broken rib… it moved wrongly under my touch, but since he was breathing okay, I knew it wasn’t life threatening.

It took me a long time to clean up the cuts and assess the damage. Whoever had done this to him… and it was an obvious beating… had been very, very angry. There was an actual shoe mark below his ribcage, a nasty crescent shaped purple imprint. I was just finishing bandaging his ribs when he began to stir.

I would have preferred him to be unconscious than awake, looking at me through all that pain. I put a hand on his shoulder… one of the few places that didn’t show damage… and waited.

“Lance,” he breathed at last.

“Kev, what happened?” I said, trying to keep the anguish out of my voice. “Who did this? Was it one of the Alley Cats?” I knew that, as Harry and Brian’s cousin, it would have been enough of an excuse for that bunch of trouble.

He looked up at me and I wondered if he understood the question, because he smiled. Not his usual easygoing smile, though… this one was cold and humorless.

“A little… closer to home,” he said, wincing at the pain.

The words shocked me; then, I understood. “Your… father?”

“He’s not my f-father any more,” he said in a voice I could barely hear. Then, just that fast, he was out again.

I sat there, stunned. His father? Brian and Harry’s uncle? How could a father do that to his son? To his own flesh and blood? I swallowed against the lump in my throat. My parents had loved me when they were still alive… they’d never even given us spankings as kids. I couldn’t imagine how he felt.

I called a neighbor a couple of houses down who was a paramedic; luckily he was home, and offered to come right away. I’d done some babysitting for his kids in the past, free of charge when they’d gone through some tough times. He was more than glad to repay some favors.

Marty didn’t stay long. He saw that I’d done the usual stuff, then re-wrapped the ribs. He advised me to get Kevin in for some x-rays to be sure, and to have him call the cops to press assault charges once he was in his right mind. He told me to watch for signs of concussion, since that head wound was kind of nasty, and tried to convince me to take him to the hospital. I thanked him, said I’d monitor Kevin closely, and sent him back to his Thanksgiving celebration. I knew there was no way I could get Kevin to the hospital… and it’s not something I thought he would want, anyway. As long as nothing got worse, he’d be better off where he was.

I also knew that the assault charges would never get filed. I’d seen similar things way too many times. But damn… Kevin. I still couldn’t believe it. I’d always envied him, his easy life and nice home. But that had all changed now. I might not have had the material things he was used to… but at least I was loved by my family. I realized that I was the wealthier of the two of us.

He slept most of the afternoon, finally getting up around four. This time, he was much more coherent, and he roughly narrated the events that had brought him to my door. I helped him to my room, settled him down, then went to get some Tylenol and a bit of leftover soup. He didn’t eat much, but was grateful for the pain relievers. I spent a little time reassuring him that he was safe, he was welcome, and that I would be there when he woke up. He fell asleep fairly fast, and once he was out, I went to his car and retrieved his things. It didn’t seem like much, but it was all I could do for him.

I spent the rest of the day in my room, watching over him and thinking. He woke a few times, disoriented, but always glad I was there. It made me feel good that I could help, at least that much.

When Stacey and company arrived home that night, I greeted her with a huge hug. Her husband and the boys, too. I didn’t care about their surprised reactions.

Stacey agreed to let Kevin stay for however long it took; I promised her that I’d take care of everything. That night, I kept vigil over Kevin’s battered body, wondering how much had changed for him. I’d get the full story in the morning, or whenever he was able to tell it… I wouldn’t press. I would just be there in whatever way I could.
Fifteen - Brian by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 15: Brian

Little Julia sat in my lap as Precious and I sat outside on the dock near the lake eating our supper. I’d decided to get there early and help with whatever I could. As it turned out, Precious’ parents needed a lot of help with the preparations. I think they were both surprised and pleased to see me willingly volunteer to help out.

I’m really glad that Precious is back. I’ve missed her a whole lot, and seeing her in person is so much better than just a picture. I remember Texas making fun of me because I’d been staring at Precious and how gorgeous she looked with that pink flower in her dark hair and the brand new sweater she’d gotten after returning from Puerto Rico.

“This is good,” I told her, motioning to the food on my plate. Of course, I had no idea what it was. Some Puerto Rican dish, I think.

“Mama made it,” Precious replied as she offered a piece of breaded shrimp to Julia. Julia took it, but apparently didn’t like it since she threw it in the lake right after she took a bite.

“Remind me to get the recipe,” I chuckled.

We were quiet for several minutes after that, just enjoying our time together. I reached into my pocket and fingered the gift I was planning to give her. Kevin and I had gone out the day before I was to come home from his place and we had purchased a ring; gold band with a sapphire in the center, kind of like those rings you get in your junior year of high school, only prettier. Well, actually, Kevin paid for it; I just picked it out. It really meant a lot to me that he did that.

Before I could speak, Precious’ grandmother Consuelo came looking for Julia. Julia giggled and reached up for her.

“Bela!” I think she was trying to say abuela, Spanish for “grandmother.”

With a smile, I handed my sister over to Consuelo, who whisked her away to the rest of the family. I had a feeling I wouldn’t be seeing her for half an hour until someone brought her to me, fussing with her thumb in her mouth.

“She looks like your mother.” Precious said. I’d showed her a picture a few months back, since she’d never met my mom in person.

I sighed. “Yeah.”

“Did you ever know your father?”

I looked at her, startled at the question. She’d never brought up family like that before.

“Yeah, up until I was eleven.”

“What happened?”

I bit my lip. Why was she asking me this? She knew I hated to talk about it. The memories were very painful and so vivid it was like it happened yesterday.

“Brian?” her voice came again. “Please, tell me.”

I blinked away the tears that were forming. “He died… an accident at work.”

I felt her hand take mine. So soft. She gave my hand a squeeze and I returned it, smiling at the same time. Precious reached up and brushed away a tear that I hadn’t realized had fallen. I took her hand and kissed it gently, then leaned forward and brushed her lips with mine in our first kiss. It was soft and gentle, but glorious.

When we pulled back, I was amazed at the love I saw in her eyes. How did a guy like me get lucky enough to have a girl like Precious as a girlfriend? It was the perfect time... now or never. I felt around for the ring in my pocket, trying to ignore my suddenly dry throat and sweaty palms. I'd never given anyone a promise ring before... never wanted to. But Precious was, well... she was more special than anyone I'd ever met. I wanted to give her a reminder of how I felt even when we were apart. I withdrew the ring, trying to think of smooth words and flashy lines. But the moment I looked into her warm chocolate eyes all that fancy stuff vanished, and I spoke my heart.

"P-precious," I began, then stopped and cleared my throat. How could I have cracked on a single word? She smiled, and things were okay once again.

"I've been thinking about us... me and you... and, well, I just wanted you to know how special you are to me. When we're together, everything seems right. I hate to be apart from you, but when we have to be... well, I was hoping you'll accept this promise ring. That way you can look at it and remember how much I love you."

My heart stopped beating as she looked at it, then me, then back at it again. When the smile lit her face, my entire world shifted again.

"Yes, Brian, I'll accept this. I'll wear it every day, and remember that I'm the luckiest girl in the entire world."

I could have leaped for joy at those words. Instead, I settled for our second kiss.

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. My eyes were filled with images of Precious... laughing, sending me a grin as her Grandfather told another outrageous story, smiling in a secret, only-we-know way. We finally left around eight, with a promise to get together in a couple of days for the Street Festival. Of course, I'd be calling her like a hundred times a day if I couldn't get a ride over to her house, but our next official date was the Festival. I couldn't wait.

We got home and Julia gave no trouble when I put her to bed. She was full, happy and exhausted... kind of like me. I checked the clock; it was still relatively early, so I thought I'd call Kev with the news. He'd probably be as happy as I'd been to hear about Precious accepting my ring.

I dialed Kevin's number and listened as the phone rang.

And rang.

And rang.

And.... rang.

It struck me as odd. Surely there was someone there... my Aunt and Uncle rarely went out, and besides... who would be out that late on a holiday night? Everything was closed for the day... stores, theaters, the whole nine yards. Then, I realized that Kevin was probably visiting with friends or some relatives on his father's side. He was probably having the time of his life, debating on that extra piece of pumpkin pie.

I climbed back up the stairs into the room I shared with Julia, checked on her to make sure she was still asleep in her crib, then changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed.

The ringing of the phone brought me out of sleep the next morning. Glancing at the clock on my wall, I saw that it was well past ten. How on earth did I manage to sleep that long? I finally picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Brian, please don’t tell me I just woke you up.”

“KEVIN!” I shouted, bolting upright in bed. “Where are you? I tried to call you last night!”

“Calm down, boy!” I heard Kevin laugh. I heard a hissing noise when he finished, like he was in pain, but that had to be wrong. “How was your Thanksgiving?”

“Oh, it was awesome!” I replied, launching into the details of the evening. “All the adults absolutely adored Julia and snatched her away to load her with attention, which I totally expected. I gave Precious the promise ring, too.”

“You did?”

I grinned. “You bet! And we had our first kiss, too!” I added. “Well, our first two, but you know.”

“Brian that’s great.”

“Thanks. Hey, are you coming to the festival?”

There was a pause before Kevin answered. “No, I don’t think I’ll be going.”

“You won’t?” To say I was shocked would be understating it. Kevin never missed the festival. “Why not, Kevin?”

“I just don’t feel like going this year, Brian.”

“Not… oh, come on Kevin! Please, you’ve gotta come!” I begged. “I want you to meet Precious! You’ve never missed the festival! Please?”

“Well…”

If Kevin had been here with me, he would have gotten the puppy face. “Please, Kev?”

I heard Kevin sigh in resignation. “All right, Brian. I’ll go.”

I whooped. “Thanks Kevin! So I’ll see you in a few days then?”

“Yeah. See you then.”
Sixteen - Howie by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 16: Howie

I love the Street Festival. It’s a chance to just hang out and do the neighborhood thing, where everyone gets together and kind of gets reacquainted. For the most part, there’s not any trouble. Everyone’s still got that Thanksgiving glow and are already in the Christmas spirit. The kids love the merry-go-round and the double Ferris wheel; even young couples stand in line for that stuff. But me, I just like the feeling of a happy crowd, the smiles everywhere and the wonderful smells and sounds and tastes that the Festival is famous for.

For some reason, the Alley Cats rarely cause trouble with us Garrisons during the Festival, even though the action takes place in Granby Park, which borders on the edge of the territorial line. Neither gang can consider it their territory, so I guess we just let things slide for those three days a year.

I went to the first evening, which is always the quietest night. It was the time all my family went, and I was in charge of the little ones. Of course, I ate too much and spent most of the evening taking a zillion trips to the restrooms… expected, with four little ones under the age of eight. Ah well, it was still a good time.

The second night was the one I was looking forward to the most. It was when the gang got together, and I had no responsibilities but to have fun. This year, Brian was bringing Precious; he wanted to show her off, which I thought was kind of cute. She was a pretty girl, and I don’t think anyone could have been more smitten than Bri.

I got there early and waited by the carousel. I was eating some popcorn and watching the gathering crowd when I heard my name called. It was AJ, with his girl Sadie.

I don’t like to speak ill of anyone, but I was sure AJ could do better. She was okay, I suppose, but she was way into the image thing, where I liked girls with a little substance. Still, AJ liked her, so of course I treated her with respect. The last thing I would ever do was to hurt Alex. He’d had plenty of tough breaks in his life, and he deserved a little loyalty. He’d never let me down in all the years we’d been friends. That was something you just don’t see much of these days.

We chatted a bit, then she began whining about wanting a stuffed animal souvenir. AJ pretended to hesitate, although I knew that he’d do just about anything for her. Sure enough, it wasn’t long before they had headed over to the games. I stayed where I was, and maybe three minutes passed before I spotted a blond-haired bundle of energy otherwise known as Nick. The kid was totally jazzed, and I couldn’t help but smile. He had cotton candy in one hand and a hot dog in the other, and looked like he was going to last all night. It was his first Festival without being stuck with family, and he intended on having a ton of fun.

Of course, Nick’s folks knew he’d be hanging with us; we were sort of like older brothers to him and Brian. They thought he’d be safe; after all, it was just the Festival, so what could really happen?

If only we had known.

It didn’t take long for Nick to find Brian and Precious strolling down the main walk, and before I could blink twice the three of them had gone on to the rides. I caught my name being shouted from across the playground, and saw Harry and Texas meandering over. I joined them, and we sampled some of the ethnic food that was offered for sale. We sat on a bench and watched the pretty girls go by; there were plenty, and it was harmless entertainment. It occurred to me, eventually, that we hadn’t seen Lance or Kevin yet. Brian had told Harry their cousin had promised to attend; I liked Kevin, even though he wasn’t a part of our gang, he was considered one of us by proxy. Plus, he always treated us to some cool stuff: ice cream, a round of games, and a handful of tickets for whoever wanted them. He seemed to like doing it, although every year we insisted he didn’t have to spend money. His philosophy was that life was too short not to enjoy.

I heard the strains of a Brazilian band warming up across the venue, and asked my friends if they wanted to come with me to watch. They declined, saying something about trying to get dates with a couple of girls that kept passing by, secretly checking them out. I laughed; it was more likely that they were imagining things, but hey… who am I to stand in the way of a good time? So, I went across the park alone. Just before I got to where people were gathering for the music, I saw them.

Lance and Kevin, together.

That was odd enough; normally those two were together only at Harry’s. But I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw something completely unexpected. Kevin…

Kevin’s face was an incredible mix of dark bruises and tiny cuts, and one single white bandage to set it all off. Just looking at it sent a shot of pain through me, and with something close to horror I rushed up to them.

Lance’s light green eyes warned me to school my reaction, and I did my best. Kevin’s hesitant look made me stop and carefully consider my words.

“What happened, are you all right?”

“It looks worse than it is,” Kevin said quietly. “It’s not as painful now. I… I’d rather not talk about it, Howie.”

“Kev,” Lance said, his voice low and full of meaning.

Kevin sighed, looked at him, then back at me. “My father,” he breathed, looking down. “He got drunk again, and…”

When his voice choked to a stop, I looked to Lance.

“He showed up at my place Thanksgiving,” he provided. “We managed to find him an apartment for him to live in over on Ninth until he starts school next year.”

“Does… does Harry know?”

“No,” Kevin mumbled. “I wouldn’t have come at all, but Brian insisted, made me promise. He wanted me to meet Precious, and I…”

In that second, my opinion of Kevin… already pretty high… hitched up about a hundred points. I knew he was embarrassed, and had to be hurting pretty bad despite what he said.

“He’s gonna freak,” I said carefully.

“I know,” Kevin said. “But he’s gonna find out sooner or later.”

“What about your Mom?” I asked. I was confused when even a greater pain crossed his face.

“She… she left,” he said darkly. “Filed for divorce. I think my father must have found out, though… it’s what set him off.” He swallowed hard. “I don’t know where he is now, and I don’t care.” Emerald eyes looked up and caught my gaze. “I never want to see him again.”

“He should be in jail,” I declared. “No one should do that to their own kid.” The news made me angry; what had Kevin ever done to deserve that?

Lance spoke. “No, they shouldn’t,” he said. “Kev’s moved into a secure building, it’s pretty nice. Should be safe.” He took a deep breath. “Anyway, this is why we’re a little late. We figured that by now, when things are darker, he wouldn’t draw so much attention.”

“Kev, I’m sorry, man,” I said. “If there’s anything I can do for you, I will. Just ask, okay?”

“Thanks, D,” he said, giving me a slight smile.

We all headed over to the other side of the park, away from the crowds at the music stage, hoping to find one of our gang. We decided that we’d gather everyone in one place, then let them in on what had happened to Kev.

Our plans went south when Nick came flying down the walkway, a slightly frightened gleam in his eye. He started talking well before he came to a halt.

“Guys, there’s some Alley Cats causing some trouble by the games,” he said in a rush. “They made some nasty comments to AJ’s girl, then started talking trash about Precious, and-“

He stopped short, his mouth dropping open when he got a good long look at Kevin. Before he could even ask, Kevin spoke.

“Had a little family trouble,” he said. “It’s worse than it looks. I’m… out of the house for good, now.”

I could tell that Nicky was full of questions, but Lance diverted them by speaking.

“If the Alley Cats are causing trouble, we’d better kind of congregate.”

“Huh?”

“Get together as a group,” Lance explained. “Take us there, okay?”

“All… all right,” he said reluctantly. With one long look at Kevin, he turned back down the walkway and gestured for us to follow.

The situation wasn’t good when we got there, and Kevin hung back a bit. No sense in confusing issues; first things first.

AJ had his hand in his pocket… where he kept his knife… and a very strained look on his face. Opposite him was Brent, the second in command of the Cats, who looked equally tense. You could almost feel the hostility crackling in the air. Brian was standing in front of Precious, who looked confused. Facing him was another Cat, one I didn’t know by name. It didn’t much matter.

At our arrival, the two Cats realized they’d been way outnumbered. With a final parting insult, they pushed past Nick and took off running down the pathway. A collective sigh of relief went through all of us, but especially from me. I truly hated violence and confrontation; there were never any real winners in that kind of situation.

It took a moment to shake off the tension. Nick looked warily at the direction the Cats had gone off in, but AJ cracked some kind of joke and just that quick, the mood shifted. Harry and Texas came up from the other direction… no girls in sight… and there we were, all together at last.

The issue with Kevin, as predicted, was met with shock and disbelief. Most affected was Brian, who looked like he’d been gut-shot when he finally got a good look at his cousin’s face. It took a lot of reassurance on both Lance’s and Kevin’s part to diffuse his outrage at his uncle. I think the thing that finally snapped the anger was when Kev coughed, then grimaced in what seemed to be a great deal of pain. When he hunched over, holding his ribs against it, Brian lost his fire… and concern overcame fury. From that moment, Brian focused on helping Kevin however he could.

I was proud of that. Brian was a great kid, and he’d grown up a lot over the last couple of years. He had a temper, sure… but he was beginning to use reason to avoid taking it to extremes.

The rest of the night turned out to be pretty enjoyable. The tension was forgotten, and the girls were presented with quite a few stuffed animals won at the games by all of us. It became a kind of friendly competition among the Garrisons, with Texas being the champion in the end. When the Festival died down about eleven o’clock, we were among the last to leave. None of us wanted the evening to end.

AJ, Sadie, Brian, Precious and Harry went one way, while Texas walked with Lance and Kevin down the west end of the park. That left Nick and me. I guess the sugar rush had finally died down, so he wasn’t hyper any more. Still, he had plenty of energy and I figured it would be a good idea to keep an eye on him and walk him home.

We were joking a bit, our general mood still upbeat. Neither of us was really paying attention, and that’s where the first mistake was made.

One minute we were alone, and the next there were two figures blocking our way. It was Brent and Juan, and they didn’t look happy. Knowing that Nick was pretty unskilled in a hand fight, and not wanting to get into anything alone, I opted for the ‘run away’ choice. But, before I could even turn around, a voice came from behind.

We were surrounded, with no help in sight. I tried to talk my way out of it, but Brent lunged forward and punched me in the gut before I got much further than three words.

I told Nick to run, but he was either too scared, too trapped, or too concerned to leave me. Whatever the reason, Nick stayed.

I tried to help him, but it was all I could do to defend myself. I was pretty sharp in a fight, and landed several telling blows, but every time I heard Nick cry out in pain I lost concentration. By the time I heard him moaning in anguish, I was barely hanging on to my senses. Then, suddenly, the Cats left.

I didn’t understand it. Nor did I care. My only thought was Nicky.

I made it to his side, shocked at what I found. He was curled up in a ball, blood trailing from his nose and lip. His shirt was torn, and he was covered with several nasty cuts. But his pale white skin tone alarmed me the most. He was out, way out, not even responding when I tried to uncurl him. He had a pulse, thankfully, but his breathing sounded rough and raspy. That couldn’t be good.

A hand on my shoulder made me whirl around, ready to defend him from further injury. I blinked in confusion at a stranger’s face. I saw blue, and shiny buttons. I took me a moment to realize it was a cop.

Things were a bit confusing after that, I guess it was just the shock and worry. But soon I was riding in the back of an ambulance, holding Nick’s hand as we rushed to St. Mary’s. They took him away the instant we arrived at the hospital, then dragged me off to an exam room for some bandaging and evaluation.

After I made a few phone calls, I had to play the waiting game. They didn’t let me see him, but I was there when his folks came in. Together, we waited for news.

It was almost one thirty in the morning when a doctor finally came to talk to Nick’s family. I listened numbly as he described the injuries.

Broken arm, multiple cuts, mild concussion, and some badly bruised ribs. He was currently unconscious, although the doc said that was to be expected.

Numbly I accepted Mrs. Carter’s offer to take me home. I didn’t want to leave, but the stuff they’d given me for the pain was beginning to take effect, and besides, since I wasn’t family, I wouldn’t be allowed to see him for a while.

My last coherent thought was that I should have been more alert, should have done something to protect the kid better. I didn’t think Nick would ever forgive me.

I know I wouldn’t be forgiving myself.
Seventeen - Nick by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 17: Nick

“Aaron, don’t climb up on your brother! He’s hurt!”

Mom? What are you talking about?

“But mommy, I wanna give Nick a hug! It’ll help him feel better!”

“Aaron?” I called, trying to open my eyes. I felt something climb onto… whatever I was on… a bed, I think…

I finally opened my eyes and saw my little brother’s blue eyes staring right back at me. It was then that I realized I was on a bed. A hospital bed upon closer inspection. How did I get here? I tried to remember as I saw my left arm in a cast, but my memory went up until the Street festival.

“How are you feeling, son?”

I looked up and saw my mom standing over me like a hawk. My sisters BJ, Leslie and Angel were standing around the bed watching me. I realized that I had a headache, and I was hurting in a lot of places. I conveyed that to my dad and mom went to get a nurse.

“What happened?” I asked as mom returned with a nurse. “The last thing I remember is being at the festival, then waking up here.”

“Howie told us what happened,” mom explained. “He said that after the festival was over for the night, the two of you were heading home. Howie wasn’t paying attention… he’s torn up about that, too… and three members of the Alley Cats found you two and attacked. You both got injured, but you had the worst of it.”

“Oh.”

I didn’t remember any of that, but I thought I saw vague images in my mind when mom described it all. The nurse gave me some pills for the pain, then left us alone. Aaron crawled to my right side and snuggled up to me. I’m sure he was trying to be careful and not hurt me, but when he put his hand on a particular spot on my chest, I gasped at the resulting pain that shot through my upper body. He immediately apologized and tried to be as careful as possible. Looking around, I noticed a television up on the wall and had an idea.

“Mom, what time is it?” I asked.

“It’s almost noon, Nick.”

I smiled. Perfect timing.

“Hey, Aaron?”

“Yeah?”

“Isn’t it time for Scooby Doo?” I said. “It’s twelve o’clock.”

Aaron and Angel got excited so Mom turned the television to Scooby Doo. After a couple of hours, my family had to leave. I was bored after they left, so I decided to turn off the television and try to get some more sleep. I think I was out in less than five minutes.

~*~

I shot up in bed, my heart racing, soaked in sweat. I’d been reliving the night the Cats had attacked us. I had tried to run when Howie told me to, but I was already blocked by Juan and couldn’t get away. He kept coming at me with his fists, swearing at me and kicking me once I was on the ground. It kept happening over and over again until I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Nicky?”

I looked to my right, hearing the soft, Latino voice calling me. Howie sat in a chair by my bed looking at me with… guilt? … in his eyes. Why guilt?

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

Howie looked away and stared at his hands. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For not being able to protect you better.” Howie murmured. “I should have been paying better attention that night. You might not be here if it hadn’t been for me.”

What on earth was he talking about? We were having a good time coming home from the festival. Until… well, it’s over now.

“Howie… don’t beat yourself up over it.” I said. “We were just having fun, that’s all.”

“But neither of us was paying attention!” Howie protested.

“Howard, stop. It’s all over now, okay? You’re still good with me if that’s what you’re afraid of.”

When I saw the relief on his face, I knew that was at least part of his fear. After that, he seemed happier and we chatted, talking and planning what we might do after I got home from the hospital. Only two more days or so to go, the doctor told me.

The next couple of days dragged by and flew by all at once. I was bored, so I had asked my mom to bring over some of my art stuff that I could do right-handed. Lucky for me I hadn’t broken that arm; that would have been a major crisis. Hey, I love art! Brian can tell you, that’s the only reason I’m still going to school!

Mom picked me up around ten in the morning… my siblings were still in school… and took me home. When I got home, I saw that there were cards from each of the guys in Garrison. There was even one from Precious! Man, Brian made the right choice when he fell in love with her. When I met her at the festival, I was almost jealous that I hadn’t been old enough to date. I got a call from AJ that afternoon, telling me that he was glad I was back. He told me to hurry up and get better so we could kick some Cat butt. I told him I’d do my best, since I wanted to pay them back, too. After I hung up with him, I had to go lie down for some rest.

The next morning, I woke up to seeing a note taped to the wall from my mom saying that she was out shopping for bigger winter clothes for Aaron and Angel… must be from Goodwill again… There was also a phone call from Texas mentioned saying that the Garrisons were planning on having a celebration for my coming home that afternoon at his house.

The day seemed to crawl by after that. I couldn’t wait to go to Texas’, but it seemed like every time I glanced at my watch, the only correct timepiece in the apartment, only a few minutes had passed by. Finally, it was three o’clock, and I was on my way to A.J’s, and we would walk together to Texas’ house.

Lance greeted us at the front door and led us to the kitchen where Howie, Texas, Harry, and even Kevin and Julia waited for me. We were so into the celebration and talking about Christmas that it took me about an hour to realize someone was missing.

Brian.

“Lance, where’s Brian?” I asked.

The room got real quiet, and I started worrying that something bad had happened to him.

“He’s out back.” Texas replied, nodding toward the back door.

I headed out and spotted my friend lying in the green hammock tied between to maple trees, one of which held a tree house that Brian and I would sometimes hide out in.

Green… Precious’ favorite color.

Why I had suddenly thought of that, I didn’t know. Little did I know I’d find out later.

“Hey, B.” I greeted with a smile. “How come you’re not inside?”

Brian managed to give me a small smile and scooted over so I could lay in the hammock with him. “It got kind of crowded. I was there when you came, but I needed some air.”

I heard something in his voice that told me needing air was not the only reason he had come outside. He had wrapped an arm around me in friendship and I noticed he was wearing a ring… a rather familiar ring, too… gold band, sapphire blue stone…

“Hey… isn’t that the ring you gave Precious?” I asked.

I was shocked when I heard him start to cry as he rolled over onto his side.

“Brian, what is it?”

“Precious…”

“What about her? What’s wrong?”

“Precious… dead… killed…”

I lay numbly as Brian rolled off the hammock onto the ground, his cries becoming vocal, no doubt reaching the house. Precious was dead? Was that what he had said? I climbed down beside Brian and tried to put an arm around him, but he shrugged me off and curled up.

“What happened?” I asked.

What he was about to tell me, I was going to regret asking.
Eighteen - Brian by Maggie by Maggie
*Warning: This chapter has evidence of sexual assault/rape. To understand the next couple chapters, this one must be read.

Chapter 18: Brian


It happened yesterday, but it feels like just a few minutes ago. I was on my way to pick up Precious from her job at the supermarket. I pulled up front and didn’t see her. I waited about five minutes, then pulled into a parking space, not wanting to be parked illegally in front of a store. I went inside and looked around for someone that might know Precious’ whereabouts. I found a co-worker of hers that I’d seen often and asked him if he had seen her.

“I thought she was waiting out front,” he replied. “She told me that’s where she’d be waiting for you to pick her up. Would you like me to help you look?”

“No thanks,” I said. “I just probably missed her. She might be waiting when I get out there. If not, I’ll check around back.”

We bid farewell and I headed back outside. I’d parked close to the store, but Precious wasn’t waiting at the car. I didn’t see her anywhere out front and started to worry. As I walked around the back of the store, I spotted an alley. It was getting too dark to see, so I headed back to the car for the flashlight that Harry always kept in the glove compartment. I went back behind the store and turned on the flashlight. A horrible feeling of dread had begun growing in the pit of my stomach as I’d gone back for the light, and it was getting stronger as I started down the alley. My throat was dry and my hands were trembling. Suddenly the flashlight illuminated an image I’ll never forget.

Precious was on the ground, her clothes torn and stained with blood, her shoulder bare. She weakly opened her eyes and called out to me when she saw me. Her voice was weak, but I was at her side before she even finished calling my name. Upon closer inspection as I took her in my arms, much to my grief, I saw that she was dying. I could see in her eyes that there was something she wanted to say, and it was the only reason she was still fighting for life.

She took my hand and whispered, “Te amo, Brian.” (I love you, Brian.)

I couldn’t contain my tears, and didn’t try. I held her closer and brought my lips to hers in a gentle kiss.

“Te amo, Precious.” I whispered. (I love you, Precious.) There was something I had to say to her before it was too late. Before I could say it, however, Precious weakly removed her ring and held it up for me to take.

“Take it.”

I took her hand, the ring pressed between our palms. I had to say it now; there was no more time. It was something I had been trying hard to learn ever since the school year first began. I took a deep breath and looked deep into her eyes, seeing the light I loved so much beginning to fade. I spoke.

“Vas a estar en mi corazón para siempre, amado angel.” (You’ll be in my heart forever, beloved angel.)

Precious smiled and slipped the ring on my finger.

“Stay gold,” she whispered as she closed her eyes. I felt her relax against me, not even fighting for her last breath. My beloved Precious was gone, an angel in heaven now.

I closed my eyes and held her body tightly. My cries became vocal as I emptied my heart in that alley.
Nineteen - Nick by Maggie by Maggie
Chapter 19: Nick

It was silent as Brian finished his terrible tale. I noticed that the others had joined us outside and that Brian was now wrapped in Texas’ arms, tears on the faces of both.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered, not really knowing what to say.

“How could they do it?” Brian asked. “They… those Cats… how could they? They… they violated her Nick! How could they do that?”

His voice had risen as he spoke until he was pleading with me, his eyes full of fury and hatred toward the Alley Cats.

“No one really knows.” I heard Kevin whisper as he knelt beside us, trying to reach out to comfort Brian.

But Brian tore out of Kevin and Texas’ grip and started walking away, stopping a few feet from the house. I hurried to his side and was scared at the hostility I saw in Brian’s eyes.

“There’s a council tomorrow after school.” Brian told me, his blue eyes blazing as he looked at me. “They’ll pay, Nick. You hear me? They’ll pay dearly for what they’ve done!”

It was all we could do to hold him back from storming away and taking out the Cats alone. It wasn’t long before Brian stopped fighting against us and relaxed into Lance’s strong arms, tears beginning to fall again. We all knew how much Brian idolized Lance and my respect for that man went up so much more, seeing him comforting Brian.
Twenty - Lance by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 20: Lance

The place was packed; you could feel the collected misery and grief in the air. I hated funerals… I can still remember the one for my parents. But where that one was small and quiet… just a few friends and what little family we had… this one was huge. I’d stopped counting when the number topped a hundred.

The casket was white, of course. Precious had been so pure of heart, so innocent and loving, that any other color would have seemed inappropriate. There must have been hundreds of white flowers… roses, carnations, lilies… up there surrounding the thing. I was pretty sure that I’d never see a white rose again without thinking of this horribly sad occasion.

I stood near the back; her family took up the first seven rows of seats. Of course, the church was small, but still. Kevin was with me, as were Nick and Howie. AJ was seated with his girlfriend in the last row. She was sniffling, but for once I knew she wasn’t doing it for attention. There wasn’t a dry eye in the place; we’d all loved Precious.

Brian was up front, of course. No one had questioned his right to be in that spot, next to her parents and sibs. Flanking him, supporting him, were Harry and Texas. From their pale faces I knew that none of them was handling it very well. I don’t need to mention that the worst off was Brian.

After his outburst of grief back at his house the day he told Nick the news, he hadn’t said but a few words to anyone. At first, the glazed, empty look behind his eyes prevented anyone from trying; later, his hard and angry glares did the trick of keeping everyone at a distance. We were all grieving, though, and didn’t press the matter. I knew it’d be me that would have to approach him.

Me, because Texas was too close to the issue. Me, because Harry was equally at a loss. Me, because Kevin was still trying to deal with his own pain and anguish. Me, because Nick was still a child, and looked even more lost than Brian did. And me, because Howie and AJ, while great guys, had never been that close to Brian. I wasn’t sure what to say to the kid; sorry didn’t come close. He’d lost everything that was the focus of his world in one senseless, violent act.

I shuddered, thinking of Precious. I couldn’t pretend that she hadn’t suffered in the end; she’d been fully aware of what was being done to her. For that, I wanted to kill every single man that had dared touch her.

I felt Kevin’s hand grip my arm and belatedly realized my hands had clenched into fists… again. He looked a question at me, and I shook my head. No, I was okay. I was in control. I had to be.

I took a deep breath and tried to focus on the ceremony. The Padre was speaking, but I couldn’t stay with the words. I kept seeing Precious’ smile, knowing that I’d never know that wonderful sight again. Life had never been fair, but this…

“Do you need a minute?” Kevin’s deep voice whispered in my ear. The fists, again.

“Just a second,” I admitted, then ducked out the back.

I fought the urge to hit the stone surface of the entryway. I kicked at it instead, wishing it was an Alley Cat rather than unyielding stone. I laughed bitterly at my thoughts. Just two nights ago, at the War Council Texas had called, it had been me holding someone back.

Maybe I should have let him go.

Despite how wretched the Cats were, they always honored the Council rules: no weapons allowed, not even blades. All present members, from both gangs, were only allowed their own fists as weapons. The only purpose of a Council was to decide where, and when, a true rumble was to take place.

Of course, that didn’t stop words from being flung.

It had been me, Texas, Harry, and Brian there that night. We hadn’t wanted Brian to come, but… well, there wasn’t any way to stop him. And, truth be told, he had a right to be there.

Things were fine until one of the Cats had begun mouthing off about an unnamed ‘treat’ he’d heard about at the grocery store. He’d gone on with words like ‘smooth’ and ‘creamy’ and ‘soft’ and ‘indescribably sweet’. He wasn’t subtle; his words hit Brian’s nerves and Texas and I, literally, had to hold him back. The anger that lit blue eyes that night was deep and furious.

Like I said, maybe I should have let him go.

Unfortunately, there were many more Cats than there were of us. Texas can hold his own in any fight, and I didn’t do too bad myself, but even we were no match for superior numbers. Instead, we had pushed down our fury and saved it for the real fight, the rumble.

The issues had gone far beyond territory; with Precious’ death, there was much more on the line. The cops would be investigating things, for sure, but Brian wanted street justice. Hungered for it. Needed it.

It was all he had, now that she was gone.

I only hoped that it didn’t destroy him as well. Losing Precious was too big a price to pay already.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see Kevin’s emerald eyes staring intently at me. The bruising on his face had begun to fade, but it still made me cringe every time I saw it there. I tried to get my thoughts together.

“Sorry,” I said in a ragged voice I barely recognized as my own.

“It’s okay,” he said quietly. “This is hard all the way around. I don’t think Nick has stopped crying since we got here.”

“Poor kid,” I said. He was so young… fourteen, and barely that… to be faced with all this. Just one more victim in this madness.

“He’ll be okay,” Kevin said. “Howie’s gonna have him visit for a few days. If anyone can talk him through this, it’s him.”

“Good,” I said. “How… how are you doing?”

Kevin looked surprised at the question, but gave it some consideration. “I hate this, hate that we have to say goodbye to someone so young and innocent. I know it sounds selfish, but I wish this were all over with and I was back at the apartment.”

“I know how you feel,” I said. “But… I dread the thought of going back to my place. Stacey… she made a comment the other day that…” I stopped, not wanting to go on.

“That what?”

I hated myself for letting it slip. Still, Kev and I had promised to be up front about things ever since he’d showed up in my driveway on Thanksgiving.

“It was just about being involved in the gang. Again. She… she kind of insinuated that what happened to Precious was, well…”

“What?” Kevin said, his tone sharp.

“All part of being connected to a gang. She’s always hated my being with the Garrisons.”

Kevin’s face paled a bit. “What happened to Precious has nothing to do with-“

“I know,” I said, rubbing at my eyes. “That’s the way she is. Both her and my brother-in-law. Now they’re worried about the boys.”

“Lance,” Kevin said, “you’re a great influence on those kids! You work hard, you’re honest, you push yourself to achieve your goals, you-“

“I belong to a gang,” I finished quietly. “None of that other stuff seems to matter, especially now.”

Kevin clenched his jaw and studied the ground. A moment later he said, “Move in with me, then.”

“What?” I said, surprised.

“I said, move in with me. The apartment’s got two bedrooms, there’s plenty of space. You’d be out of that atmosphere, and I’d have someone… well, around. To talk to.” He frowned, still not looking up. “I know you’re kinda short on money, but I’d consider it even if you’d cook. And… well… the fact is, I don’t like being alone.”

“But that seems unfair, with you having to pay the whole rent…”

“Lance,” he said sincerely, “it’s not about the money.”

I understood. He really meant it. It didn’t take me long to decide.

“I’ll tell Stacey tonight,” I said. “I think she’ll be relieved.”

“Ready to go back inside?” he asked, looking a bit happier than I’d seen him in a while.

“Yeah,” I said.

The ceremony was about over; the Padre was saying the eulogy. Then the line formed to view the casket, something I vowed years ago I’d never do again. I lingered behind while Kevin and the rest went up.

Precious was to be buried at the All Saint’s Cemetery just outside of town, and people began filing out of the church once they had paid their respects. Not many would bother to go to the actual burial; that was reserved for the closest of family and friends.

I caught a ride with Kevin; actually, AJ and his girl came with us as well. Not a word was spoken the entire way. Then, in silence, we waited for the dark day to continue.

Precious’ brothers and father and uncles carried the casket to the gravesite. There was another round of fresh tears, then flowers tossed on top of the lowered casket. I stayed in the background, not having either the strength or resolve to get that close to things. I’d done that one time too many in my life.

I caught Brian after the ceremony was concluded. He looked up at me with watery, red-rimmed eyes. I thought of what I should say, knowing there really were no words that would suffice.

“Let me know if there’s anything you need,” I said in a low voice.

“I need revenge,” he said in a flat, frightening voice. “Justice. They must pay for what they did.”

“They will,” I said. “The police are-“

“Screw the police,” he spat. “It’s personal, Jim. The only girl I ever loved is back there, in the… the…” He choked on the words. Harry was right there, grasping his shoulder. Brian twisted free and stormed down the sidewalk.

Before I could speak, Harry said, “It’ll take some time, Lance. It’s too fresh. When things settle some, he’ll hear your words. Until then, you’re wasting your breath.”

I nodded, knowing he was right.

A short while later we left: another silent ride. I told Kevin good-bye when he dropped me off at my house, and said I’d call him with Stacey’s reaction and a time when he could come get me and my things.

I, for one, was eager to turn the page.
Twenty One by Maggie and Louise by Maggie
Chapter 21

Dusk. The time they had been anxiously awaiting was soon to come; the time when the Garrisons and Alley Cats would meet at last. For at least one of the boys, it was revenge… justice… For Brian, this fight would be his vengeance upon those that killed his love, the young woman that meant so much to him… a young woman he was certain to which he would never find an equal.

He turned from the kitchen window as he heard the front door open… the final member of their gang entered his house at last. Howie, Nick and AJ were seated around the table; Lance stood at the other side of the window next to him; Kevin was leaning against the counter with his arms crossed. He had come with Lance and had offered to watch Julia while the others were… taking care of business, as he put it. A nice word choice, Brian had thought.

Texas entered the kitchen at last and looked at Brian as he explained his reason for his lateness to everyone.

“Sorry I’m late. My aunt had some, ah, emotional trouble, and my uncle wanted me to be there to help out.”

There was no need to explain further. All the boys understood, Brian most of all.

“How is she?” he asked.

“She’s resting now,” Texas replied. “Uncle Eduardo had to give her a sedative to help her rest, but she’ll be… all right… eventually.”

Brian nodded, and Texas saw an unreadable emotion flicker in his eyes. During the forty-eight hours following the funeral, Brian had become very good at hiding his emotions. Harry was especially worried that the hidden emotions were a bad thing.

“Six o’clock,” Howie announced as his watch beeped on the hour.

“Thirty minutes until we go,” AJ continued.

“Thirty minutes,” Lance repeated.

“I’ve had to wait since the council, thirty minutes won’t seem any different to me,” Brian said.

“Brian, do you want to spend some time with Julia before we leave?” Harry asked.

After a moment Brian nodded. As if on cue, the baby monitor near Kevin’s arm crackled to life as Julia woke up. Brian hurried up the stairs and into the room.

“Hey, Jules.” Brian greeted as he turned off the bedroom baby monitor. “What’s the matter? Need someone to hold you?”

“By,” Julia murmured, her thumb in her mouth.

Brian took her in his arms, then sat down on his bed, leaning up against the headboard. Julia’s tiny head rested on his shoulder, one small hand clutching the collar of Brian’s shirt as he began to rock back and forth with her.

~*~

Texas glanced at his watch… 6:25 p.m.

“Hey, Kev, would you get Brian?” He asked. “We’ve got five minutes.”

“Sure thing.”

The stairs creaked as Kevin’s weight settled on them as he climbed up to Brian’s room. He was about to knock when he heard Brian speak.

“You know something’s gonna happen tonight, don’t you, Jules?” he heard Brian say. “That’s why you can’t sleep. I’ll tell you what’s gonna happen. After tonight, we won’t have any more trouble from those Cats. You’ll be able to go to school safely without fear of getting hurt. You’ll have a good life. I promise you.”

Kevin knew the promise was a hollow one. No one could promise that kind of thing. Look at Lance, orphaned at a young age through no fault of his own. Harry, stuck with raising not one but two young ones; he was at an age where every day was supposed to be an adventure… instead, he was working himself into an early grave. Texas, just finished burying a beloved cousin, all for no real reason. Howie, a peacemaker and diplomat locked into a life of conflict and hatred. AJ, still paying for his father’s crimes, directionless and angry at most of the world. Even himself… who had every money and social advantage there was, yet still almost died because of another man’s failures and a woman’s weakness. No, life wasn’t fair, and no one could promise a good one.

Still, he knew he couldn’t contradict his cousin. Promises were made, and for a short time were believed. Little ones needed them; in the harsh world, they kept hope alive. It was later on, when reality began to intrude, that the idea of a good, happy, carefree life lost its luster. Almost everyone outgrew the fairy tale.

But Julia was too young to understand. She needed fairy tales and happy endings, and Brian needed to promise them to her.

Kevin prayed, with all his heart, that this one promise of a good life for the innocent little girl would come true. He knew he would do anything in his power to make it happen. If Brian could keep himself from getting into a worse situation, there was hope for him as well.

“Hey, Bri, they’re ready to roll. I’ll watch over her until… until you get back, okay?”

“This shouldn’t take long,” Brian said, his voice tight.

Kevin reached out a hand as Brian went to pass him. “Bri, you’re my only real family now,” he said in a slightly pleading voice. “Be careful. I don’t want to lose you too.”

“It’s not me you should be worried about,” Brian said, his blue eyes glinting.

With a sigh, Kevin released him. Brian left without another word.

~*~

Under the cover of darkness, the Garrisons made their way to the appointed place: the abandoned playground at the old elementary school on Sycamore Street. Long ago, a fire had destroyed most of the interior of the building, and vandals had taken care of the rest. No one came there anymore… it was a perfect place to settle debts.

No one talked; the mood was too tense, too heavy, for words.

AJ’s cigarette glowed like a miniature beacon as they strode down the street. His other hand was inside his jacket pocket, toying with his ever-present switchblade. He would use it tonight.

Howie’s hands were clenched into fists inside his pockets… his head was down, his thoughts full of regret. Another fight, another round of senseless violence and pain. He carried a blade, too, but it was tucked inside his boot. He loathed using it; he would draw it only as a last resort. Only in defense…

Harry and Texas walked in perfect synchronization, their faces both grim and determined. The first gripped a rubber-coated iron bar; the heavy weight felt good in his hands. It wasn’t meant to slice or pierce, it was meant to break, shatter, incapacitate. The second sported brass knuckles on both hands. Texas preferred the direct approach, and there weren’t many opponents that could evade his reach. He’d developed quite a wicked one-two punch over the years.

Brian touched the handle of the knife hidden in his jacket; it was no toy. The seven-inch blade was meant for serious work; his eyes were cold and hard as he anticipated using it. His thoughts were full of revenge, of the justice he so desperately craved.

Lance, alone, carried no weapon. He relied on his astonishingly fast reflexes to keep him out of harms way, and his well-placed physical blows to take down his opponents. He’d studied karate in his younger days, but now used the basic moves for a decidedly different arena. He wondered if any of them would be walking back from the playground that night.

~*~

The six slowed their pace as they rounded the corner of Sycamore. The area was desolate; no prying eyes or interfering bystanders. Streetlights made harsh pools on the broken cement, and sounds seemed magnified. Cautiously, but with confidence, they approached the playground.

Shadowy figures could be seen by the swings, the monkey bars, the rusted slide. Small glints of reflected light bounced off metal… knives, rings, whatever. A lone figure came out of the concealing darkness.

Jason, leader of the Alley Cats.

Harry stepped forward as the Garrisons fanned out behind him in a semi-circle.

The two men glared at each other for a long, heavy minute. Then, Harry spoke in a barely controlled voice.

“This isn’t about territory anymore. You crossed the line. We want justice.”

“You’ll get defeat,” Jason snapped.

There was a cry from the darkness, one of rage and hunger, and with that, the battle began.

~*~

AJ’s hand danced, his knife making flash patterns in the air as he sliced, twisted, evaded, cut. The howl of his opponent told him he’d hit his mark, again. Grinning, he pressed forward. No mercy.

Two Cats surrounded Lance; they knew he had no weapon. Their quickness and taunting had begun to confuse him, and for every blow he landed, they returned another in greater force. He saw the glint of metal, then a hot fire streaked down the length of his arm. He didn’t bother to stop and assess the damage. Instead, he channeled the pain, the anger, into a lightning fast kick. Solid contact, then a satisfying groan as one of them went down. Something hit the side of his head, confusing his vision for a moment, but he spun and lashed out again with his foot. Another groan, but this time a punch came out of the dark…

Texas spat the blood from his mouth and lunged forward, determined to return the favor of a split lip to his rival. A split lip and a whole lot more…

Howie gasped in pain as he felt something snap. Without thinking, his blade appeared in his hand and he arched it in a sweeping motion. A solid form met his swing, and a startled cry emerged from someone’s lips. Howie only wanted them to stay away, to leave him alone…

Brian stepped over a Cat, shaking his fist slightly from the shock of the hit. He didn’t bother to watch the fallen figure; as hard a punch as he’d landed on the Cat’s jaw, there was no way he’d be getting up anytime soon. That was as it should be. He wanted them all to pay, all to suffer and hurt and to know true pain. Pain greater than they had given Precious, pain deeper than what he now felt in his heart… A figure sprang from the darkness, knocking Brian to the hard asphalt. Brian grunted as he made contact with the hard ground, but almost as soon as he was down, he was back on his feet looking for his opponent. He found himself face to face with a young boy, hazel eyes glaring at him. It only took him a moment to realize that this boy was Jason’s younger brother Fred.

Well, if I can’t have one, I’ll take the other. Brian thought as he launched himself at the youth.

Fred stepped aside and sent a well-aimed kick at Brian’s side. Brian cried out as Fred’s foot made painful contact and he fell on his back. He thought he heard his brother call to him, but he paid no heed. He climbed tenderly to his feet and narrowly avoided another of Fred’s kicks. A fast punch sent Fred sprawling to the ground. Brian was on him in a second, pinning the youth under him. In one fluid movement, Brian reached into his pocket and pulled out his blade, opened it, and held it against Fred’s neck. This was it. He was going to get the justice… the vengeance… for which he desperately hungered.

“Fred!”

Brian looked over his shoulder as he heard the fear-filled voice of the Cats’ leader. Jason’s eyes were wide and he tried to come to his brother’s aide, but Texas leaped in his way, blocking him. The light from a street lamp glinted off of something in Brian’s peripheral vision and he started to turn back. He froze when he saw the ring on his right hand… the same hand that held the knife to Fred’s throat… the promise ring he had given to Precious, which she had given back to him in her hour of death.

“Stay gold.” He remembered her telling him just before she died.

Stay gold…

His eyes slowly moved back to Fred’s face, pale and frightened. He realized that Fred looked so young.

“How old are you?” He whispered.

“Twelve and a half.”

Twelve and a half… A horrible feeling welled up inside Brian. He’d been about to kill a boy that hadn’t even hit his teen years yet. He was still a boy…

Little Julia’s face appeared in his mind. What kind of life would she have if Brian had actually gone through with this terrible deed?

Slowly, Brian removed the knife from Fred’s throat. Fred scrambled to his feet and stared at Brian in fear. Brian stood as well and looked right at the boy.

“Go home, kid.”

Without waiting to be told again, the boy began to run. Brian watched him go until he faded into the shadows. The knife fell from his hand and his legs collapsed from under him. He fell to his knees as a horrible realization hit with sudden clarity.

If he had gone through with this awful endeavor, he would have become no better than the man that had done that terrible thing to Precious.

He began to shake in horror.

A hand settled on his shoulder and Brian slowly looked up. He saw his brother looking down at him, the beginnings of a black eye forming on his face.

“It’s over, Brian.” Harry said. “Let’s go home.”
Twenty Two - AJ by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 22: AJ

I zipped up my jacket and grabbed the small package, stuffing it in my pocket. I know Kev had said no gifts, but this was for the ankle-biter. She was a kid, and that’s what tonight was all about. I wanted her to have a better Christmas Eve than I ever did.

I called a good-bye to my mom and Bill; they were heading out a little later to some party they had been looking forward to. Truthfully, I think they were glad I wouldn’t be home for the night; we’d be together for Christmas Day, anyhow. Things had actually gotten a little better between us, if you can believe it. After the rumble, and what had happened to Brian because of Precious… well, it made me do some thinking. If he could stop himself from doing the easy thing that night… even though he really had wanted to… there wasn’t any reason I couldn’t make a little peace in my own house. Don’t get me wrong, Bill and I weren’t all lovey-dovey by any stretch, but I had decided to give him a chance and he’d taken it. We’d even had a good time playing poker the other night, although neither one of us would admit that Mom had kicked both of our butts at it.

I started making my way across town to Kevin and Lance’s apartment, enjoying the surprisingly crisp weather. The late afternoon sunshine felt good, and I was almost in a happy mood by the time I crossed Redmond Street. It was the first time since Precious’ death that I hadn’t felt that deep, dark depression hanging over my head. Kev had hit on a great idea: Christmas Eve, together. Everyone would be there, for each other… and especially for Brian. The kid was still having a tough time of things, which was to be expected. I knew he’d get over it in time, though… he was smart, and determined. And he had friends and family that would be there for him, whenever.

I still couldn’t believe what I’d seen that night at the rumble. There he was, ready to ice one of the Cats, when… he just froze. Something changed inside him at that very second, and I think I was the only one to witness it. Although I was eager for the fight that night, what he did made me pause. He had the most reason to seek revenge, but had stayed his hand. That took guts, to walk away from that. He’d chosen future over past, and it still humbled me.

Maybe he was on to something.

We were all changing; at first, I resisted it, but over the last week or so I’d come to realize that’s the way it was going to be. Kevin had managed to regain his footing after the incident with his father; truthfully, it had made me realize how lucky I was that my mom had picked a fairly decent guy to be a part of her life… our life. I know Kevin still had a lot of stuff to sort through, but now he had a place of his own and some time and space to think. And Lance to talk to.

Their being roommates had struck me as odd when I’d found out, but the more I’d thought about it the better a situation it seemed to be. Lance was a pretty cool guy… he was someone that Kev seemed able to relax around, so that counted for a lot. Without having to be a full time babysitter, he’d have time to finish his graduation certification, something he desperately wanted. I had to respect that.

Howie had sworn off all weapons, even his blade, after the rumble. His arm had been broken, but he’d said it could have been so much worse. He’d told us all that the last fight was, indeed, his last. Really, all of us had lost our taste for blood. With the Cats broken, there wasn’t much of a reason to carry metal any more. I wasn’t as upset as I’d expected I’d be.

When we’d heard the news that Jason and two of his ilk had been arrested during a robbery, it had been good news. They’d been looking for Jason in connection with Precious anyway, although no witnesses had come forward. But when the arrests for robbery had occurred, one of the Cats, Dominick, had squealed like a pig when faced with time. He’d traded information for freedom, and had pointed the finger at Jason. With the testimony, Jason was charged with sexual assault and murder; blood and other samples had nailed him. He was scheduled for trial next month, and was right where he belonged now, in jail.

I hoped he got life, for taking hers the way he did.

The day we heard the news that he’d been charged had been a good one, the first positive day we’d had in a month. It didn’t bring Precious back, but it made it easier to know that her murderer was not going to get away with it.

I turned the corner onto Pine, and noted how nice the buildings were getting. Kevin might have moved down on his accommodations, but this was a move up to me. Very nice indeed.

I was only a couple of minutes from the place when I lit up a smoke; I was going to try and quit come the New Year, but for now I allowed myself the indulgence. I had one pack left, and that was it. No more. When I’d told Sadie I was quitting, I was shocked by her response. It was, by far, the best kiss I’d ever gotten. Open mouth and everything… she was holding nothing back. Believe me when I say that if the rewards for not smoking were going to be of that caliber, I would truly enjoy quitting.

I checked the address and nodded in approval… it was better than I’d expected. Security, well lit, clean… he’d done well. I buzzed up and was let in. I practically flew up the stairs, eager to see my friends and get to celebrating.

I was almost the last one there; the only one missing was Howie. The second I came into the apartment, it felt comfortable. The ankle-biter was toddling around, looking disgustingly cute in an oversized Santa hat and little jingle-bell socks. I picked her up and whirled her around, making her giggle. I did love that sound, even though my efforts were rewarded with a bit of drool. Ah well, the smile on her little round face more than made up for things.

I tried not to laugh at the tree… it was scrawny, crooked, and had a huge bare spot in the center that no amount of ornaments would be able to cover. It was also without decoration… apparently we were all going to decorate the thing after dinner. Heck, I was game.

Someone must have been letting Nick into the sugar, because he was as hyper as Julia was. I heard a strange sound as I took off my jacket… it was Brian, laughing at something Nick was saying. That, in itself, was a miracle.

It didn’t take long to make the rounds and start enjoying things. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it was genuine. That’s what counted.

The picture was completed half an hour later, with Howie’s arrival. He’d come burdened with, like, five bags… all food and goodies that his Mom had insisted he bring for our celebration. How he ever managed all that with a cast on his arm remained a mystery, because when I asked, he just said that where there is a will, there’s a way.

I suppose he’s right, after all.
Twenty Three - Howie by Louise by Maggie
Chapter 23: Howie

I almost lost the one bag twice on the way up to Kevin’s… but knowing how much trouble Mama had gone to making the goodies in there, I didn’t dare drop it.

Everyone was there by the time I arrived; there was already a pretty good feel in the apartment, and I was happy I’d came. We needed to be together tonight, needed to be there for Brian especially. I was glad to see a little of the darkness lifted from his eyes as he joked around with Nick and AJ.

Kev’s apartment… no, that was Kevin and Lance’s apartment… was great. I was glad to see him healing a bit, too, and not just physically. There was a glimmer in his emerald eyes that had been missing for a very long time. From Lance’s easy smile, I could tell things were better for him as well.

Little Julia looked completely wound up… natural, on Christmas Eve. Of course, she didn’t really understand what was going on, other than all the people she knew and loved were together, and happy. That didn’t matter, I suppose. Seeing her bright little smile was enough.

I unpacked the stuff Mama had sent over, and laughed when I saw Lance’s eyes widen at the containers of food and treats. Between what he’d cooked, and what I’d brought, no one was leaving the apartment hungry. He was especially happy to see the cookies; apparently he hadn’t had time to make any, between studying and cleaning and getting things ready. When I asked, he told me that he would be taking his graduation exam in just a few days; he was nervous, I could tell. Of course, I tried to reassure him… he really was one of the smartest guys I’d ever met. It was no wonder that he and Brian got along so well. I knew Lance would pass his exams; I wondered if he and Kevin might go to college together next year.

I had a job lined up after graduation, working at my Uncle Sol’s printing press. I loved the business, and Uncle Sol was a tough but fair boss. He said I had a good head for math and details, and might be groomed for a higher position if I proved myself with hard work. That suited me fine; it was my dream to someday run my own business. Everyone had to start somewhere.

Dinner was a unique mix of food; Lance was a surprisingly good cook, he’d even managed to cook a turkey with all the trimmings. Next to the turkey were plates of enchiladas, taquitos, and about six other dishes I’d brought along. Mama would have beamed, had she seen how quickly her contributions disappeared.

We were too full for dessert after dinner, so Kevin proposed we decorate the so-called tree. Really, it was almost more of a crooked branch than an actual tree, but I wasn’t going to complain. I brought out the package of little tin cutout ornaments my sisters had made for us, and we set about decorating.

The lights almost toppled the tree until Lance anchored it to the wall with a wire wrapped around a hook. Secured, we began the task of burdening it with ornaments.

The conversation was kept light; Brian didn’t really participate in the banter, and I could tell his thoughts were a million miles away. So much had changed in the last few weeks, I couldn’t blame him.

My arm began itching under the cast, and I used the handle of a long wooden spoon to scratch it. I had to wear the stupid thing another three weeks; still, I couldn’t really complain because I knew all too well that it could have been much worse.

I paused in my scratching as the images from the fight flashed through my mind. I saw the gleam of metal, felt the searing pain… remembered the look of anguished surprise on my opponent’s face as I sliced into his leg. Then the snap, a sound I would never forget, when my arm broke. I cringed in memory. Worse than the snap had been the way it had felt when my own knife had cut skin so easily, so effortlessly. I wondered if the boy was all right… at the very least, he would carry that scar to his grave. Something had happened at that moment on the playground: I knew that I could no longer carry a weapon. I would defend myself, of course, but I wouldn’t go through that again. It had been too easy to hurt, too easy to give into the hate and rage. Even if it meant I would be hurt or killed by someone else who had a weapon, I wouldn’t carry any more.

I’d asked Lance to teach me some moves, and he’d agreed. I could tell that he, too, was tired of the violence. I think we all were.

While Harry sat on the couch with Julia safe out of harm’s way, we finished the tree. Lopsided, overloaded with ornaments, it was quite an astonishing sight; the blinking lights only added to the chaos. The only thing missing was a tree topper.

That’s when Texas brought out a box he’d stashed away behind the couch. With an odd mix of emotions on his face, he carried it over to a rather quiet Brian. From the way Texas was looking, I knew it was something very special. We all fell silent as he handed the box reverently to Brian.

What happened next really made that Christmas the most special and touching I’d ever known.
Epilogue: Brian - by:Maggie by Maggie
Epilogue – Brian

I pulled out of my thoughts as the apartment suddenly quieted. Texas was coming toward me with a medium-sized box in his hands, a myriad of emotions crossing his face. He paused when we were a foot apart and held the box out to me. I saw Julia scramble out of Harry’s arms and come over to me. I sat in the chair behind me and Julia climbed up into my lap, eager to see the contents of the box. I lifted the lid and let it fall to the floor.

It was an angel, dressed completely in white, with wings of gold. Her dark hair draped behind her in a style I thought seemed familiar.

“Pretty.” Julia murmured, reaching out and gently touching the angel that was now in my hand.

“It was Precious’ favorite tree decoration.” Texas explained in the softest tone that I’d ever heard him use. “She would always put it on the tree. Her grandmother, Consuelo, gave it to her when she was a child.”

Julia took the angel from me and held it carefully. “Precious pretty angel.”

“That’s right.” I agreed, thinking that she’d meant the angel was pretty. “Precious’ angel’s pretty, isn’t it?”

But I was surprised when Julia shook her head.

“Precious pretty angel,” she said again, looking up at me.

Precious pretty angel? I thought. What is she saying?

Suddenly it dawned on me what Jules was trying to say, and it brought tears to my eyes. I felt a lump begin to form in my throat.

“What did she say?” I heard Nick ask.

I tried to swallow, then explained. “Something that I definitely agree with.” I looked up at everyone. “She said that Precious is a pretty angel. I suppose that this angel is what Precious might look like if we could see her.”

I saw tears in Texas’ eyes, something I’d only seen once before… at her funeral. He wasn’t the only one that held tears, though.

I felt Julia leave my arms and didn’t notice anything until I heard her say “Tree.” I looked over and saw her standing by the Christmas tree, her tiny arms stretched toward the top of the tree, the angel in her hands. I stood and picked her up, lifting her toward the top of the tree so she could place the angel on the top. After two tries, she got it on perfectly.

I held my sister in my arms and just stared at the now-complete Christmas tree. It made the room seem happier somehow, not that it wasn’t already. I could feel the others gather around me, like a silent calling.

Suddenly, Nick broke the silence with an interesting question. “Is… is the gang over?”

I glanced at him, but he wasn’t looking at me. He was looking at Harry. The rest of us looked up at my brother, waiting to hear his answer.

“Well,” he said after a while, “maybe in the way we used to be, a street gang. With the Cats disbanded and Jason in jail, there’s really no reason for us to be like that. But,” he put a hand on Nick’s shoulder and mine, “there’s no reason why we can’t stay just a gang of friends that hangs out all the time.”

I smiled at my brother as he looked at me. Even if we… well, the Garrisons… had stayed a regular street gang, I wouldn’t carry a weapon. Heck, I’d be spending more time at home with Julia instead of out on the streets. I wasn’t an official member anyway, and I often wondered if I’d been more of a pain in the neck instead of helping.

I made a promise, a New Year’s resolution, dedicated to my angel up in heaven. I’d make more use of my life. I’d find a job and work hard enough so that when I turned eighteen, I could take Julia and live somewhere else. I knew that Harry should be having fun at nineteen, and I often felt guilty for suddenly coming into his life with a newborn baby. But I’d work hard, and I’d see to it that Precious would be proud of me as she looked down on me out of heaven.

Things would be different from now on, and perhaps that promise I’d made to Julia the night of the rumble would actually come true. I prayed it would.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1020