I Love You Came Too Late by Simple Sue
Summary:


Or did it? Ava had been pretty tolerant of Joe's public life but one fan pushed it too far. She loved him but he was never able to utter the words until she slammed the door on their relationship. Could they get back to the way it was or would they lose it all because she couldn't let go of the past?



Categories: Fanfiction > Music > New Kids on the Block Characters: Joe
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 10370 Read: 12956 Published: 02/08/12 Updated: 02/26/12
Story Notes:



I know this new for all my followers but when I find something I like I just go with it. Hope you'll join me for the ride. Also, thanks to Dottie for banner!


1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

6. Chapter 6 by Simple Sue

7. Chapter 7 by Simple Sue

8. Chapter 8 by Simple Sue

9. Chapter 9 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
“Are you sure?” He said as she continued throwing item after item into her bag. This wasn't supposed to be how it ended. She was supposed to understand his life and that there were certain things that had to be done to appease the public. Not that there weren't the overzealous ones that thought he shouldn't have anybody but them in his life.

She didn't answer. Not immediately. She was a patient woman but the one that night just pushed it way too far knowing that she was with him. The sad part is the girl didn't care. Not one little bit. Joe's a nice guy and didn't want to hurt her feelings so he played along. Have you ever felt so helpless you didn't know what else to do but run away? That's exactly how Ava felt. Like she didn't matter to him at all anymore.”Why should I stay? It's obvious I don't matter anymore,”she replied sharply. She refused to cry. There was no way in hell. It wasn't worth the waterworks.

“You know that's not true Ava.”He started toward the bed.

“Then tell me why is it you let her sit on your lap?! I'm your girlfriend and I don't even expect you to let me do that.”

“You know you can.”He attempted to lighten the mood. Maybe he wasn't trying hard enough to keep her there.

Ava stopped in front of the open bag.”Was that supposed to be funny?”

“No but I came home with you baby. Doesn't that count for something?”

“It's not just this time Joe. There have been others. This one crossed the line. Your fans know you have a woman in your life.”

“And they're also women themselves.”

“So it's okay for them to get a little frisky with the man I share a bed with?!” She headed back to the dresser and yanked another drawer open. The tears were starting to force their way out of her eyes but she remained strong. She slammed her palms against the edge of the dresser just as he came up behind her. His hands rest over hers as he remained behind her. His body so close she remembered why she loved being with him.

“No it's not but what was I supposed to do?”

“You should have politely refused her advances then if that didn't work, tell her to leave you the hell alone.”

“I can't do that and you know it.”

“The hell you can't! These women take that customer is always right policy to the extreme in your case because they know you won't say anything. When do I come first?! Huh?”

“You always come first.”

“You have a funny way of showing it,” She pushed him back so I could continue packing. He wasn't going to kiss this one away like he always did. She wouldn't allow it.

“Nothing I say is going to make this right is it?” He could see nothing was working as she turned from the dresser and into his chest. It was killing him knowing that she thought she didn't matter to him. He loved her with all his heart and it was tearing his in two.

“I don't think it can this time. I'm a tolerant woman but I just can't do this anymore. I can't always stand aside and let these women do as they please because they expect me to be some mousy little thing and just look the other way. I just can't.” She stepped to the side and started to pass him but he drew her back.

God it had been so long since he'd really touched her; showed her he cared about her and her alone. The only thing he had was a memory of what she looked like as he lifted her up onto that dresser and loved her after removing his favorite blue sweater of hers that she loved to wear. He noticed her eyes lifting and he took his opportunity to say something.”You have to know that you do come first Ava. You always come first where it matters.”

“So out in public I just have to stand by and watch then I get you when we get home?”

“If that's how you want to see it but I was talking about here,”He replied as he drew her hand up against his chest where his heart was.

For a split second she wanted to believe it but he'd said it before. He was grasping at straws to keep her there; knowing full well he'd lost the battle.”Joe please. You've said it before. How can I trust that you mean it this time? I've let myself be fooled over and over again.”

He took her face in his hands and softly brushed his lips against hers. Those big blue eyes filled with hope. And desperation.

“No. It's not going to work this time. I've had it,”Ava replied; the floodgates had opened and she found the remainder of what she needed to get her through the next few days. She informed him that she'd be back for everything else and said she would call so their paths didn't have to cross.

“You're really leaving,”he stated more than questioned. It was really happening. Was he so naïve to believe that she would just keep loving him unconditionally when he couldn't even say the words?

She nodded. She didn't want to but maybe losing her would open his eyes so the next girl didn't end with a broken heart like hers. She opened the door and it was almost closed when she heard the words she'd been longing to hear come from his lips.

“I love you Ava. Please don't go.”

Too little. Too late.
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


If you're with me this far, thank you. It means so much to me that you're enjoying it as much as I am


Several months had passed now but that first week was a killer. He tried to reason that he didn't wait too long to say the words but he knew better. She would always have a part of his heart. Now it was time to move on. It was four months later when their paths crossed again. She'd met somebody. Watching him hold her hand as he leaned in to whisper something funny in her ear. The sound of her laughter. That should all be his. Something else had changed about her. She changed her hair. Something so simple that when they were together he never even noticed when she did. The little things he should have noticed.

It wasn't like he hadn't not met someone else himself. Gretchen strolled into his world two months after the breakup. She was a wonderful woman. Beautiful inside and out but she wasn't Ava. Their first date at his place was awkward to say the least. Ava had left some of her perfume sitting on the bathroom counter and when Gretchen asked about it, he had to tell her about his most recent break up. Most women wouldn't have been so understanding. Gretchen didn't fall into that category. She even tolerated all the fanatics that crossed their path. The exact reason Ava left.



On that particular evening, they were at a party neither of them knowing the other would be there. Damn matchmaking friends! He looked happy enough. Maybe it was all for the best. Adam made her happy. At least she thought he did. If he had to leave her place in the morning before she woke, he would always leave her a little love note on the dry erase board hanging on the wall beside the refrigerator. He knew her morning routine with or without himself there. Joey never did but that didn't mean he didn't not ever care about her. The words just came when they should have been said so long ago.

Tom and Barb were being the ever cordial hosts. They were the epitome of all the things she wanted to have with Joe. All the dreams she thought would come true with him but he let her go. Didn't even try to rush out the door after her. Just 'I love you Ava. Please don't go'. She sipped her drink as she , Adam, Tom and Barb carried on a conversation. Adam's hand never left the small of her back as they did so. When Tom offered to show Adam one of his most prized possessions, Barb took the opportunity to start a reunion she should have known just wasn't going to work.”So how are things with Adam?”

“Good,”Ava replied simply.

“He seems like a nice guy but …

“But what Barb? He's not Joe? I know that,”Ava interrupted her well meaning friend.

“I try not to interfere if I can help it but you and Joe just fit. The world isn't right if you two can't make it work.”

“I know your heart is in the right place Barb but he never told me he loved me . Not once did the words come from his lips until the door was practically slammed in his face.”

“He's not happy either you know. She's a nice girl but I can see it in his eyes all the time. You're the spark that still hasn't left them.”

“Barb. Tone it down. You're starting to sound like a romance novel.”

“You know that's just me but I think you should give him another chance. To prove that his I love you didn't come too late.”

“You really think I should?”

“I remember how miserable you were that night when you showed up on our doorstep. You knew he meant the words then but your Taureaun bullheadedness wouldn't let you get past that. I can't make you but I bet he would drop her in a heartbeat if he knew you were still in love with him.

Ava let it sink in for a moment then replied,”You'll cover for me?

“I'll keep Adam occupied.”

“Thank you,”Ava said, hugging her friend.

“No need. Just go get your man.”

Approaching him was the easy part. What to say was more difficult. So gathering my strength, Ava said,” Meet me on the patio in five.” That would give her time to come up with what she needed to say and give him a little time as well. But he didn't let five minutes pass before he was there right in front of her; the pool lights the only illumination in an otherwise dark place.

“Is he treating you good?” Not that he wanted to know but since she was there, he wanted to know.

“Is she treating you well?” Ava answered his question with a question.

“I'd like to think so.”

“Which means she's not.”

“Why is it you asked me to come out here Ava? You need some sort of validation that I'm miserable without you?! You don't need an answer because you know. You know I love you but I was the fool to not say them before you walked out the door.”

“We're not teenagers anymore Joe. We know the truth. You know I never stopped loving you but as you said, you chose not to say those words. For whatever reasons, I'm not sure but you're the one that put us in this position. She seems like a nice girl. I'm surprised she left your side at all tonight. She was practically glued to it.”

“And you never were?”

“I was but we'd have separate hobbies that would keep us away from each other. It made things that much more special when we were together. You're the reason I can't sleep at night, don't want to eat and most of all caused me to be celibate for the last four months. I don't want to share a bed with anyone else but you gave me no choice.”

“You had a choice. YOU walked away from us. Not me.”

“You bastard! I gave you my love heart and soul but you couldn't give me the words until the threat of me leaving forced you too.”

“I love you Ava! Is that what you want to hear.”

“I want you to mean it!”

“ I do mean it.”The level of his voice and it's tone dipping as he pulled her against his body.”I love you Ava. Please don't leave me again. I don't think I could take it.”

And with those words I pulled his mouth to mine and kissed him. The hunger driving it at first but the smoldering burst that drew it to a close left us both breathless and looking at one another like we were out of our minds. We were here with other people. People that wouldn't understand. It was wrong but it felt just that right. That comfortable. That hot. Oh shit! She pulled out of his embrace. “ I'm so sorry. That was wrong.”

“Felt like it should be right.”

“I know but Gretchen seems like a nice girl. I'm just being a hopeless romantic. I do have to know one thing before I walk away.”

“What?”

“Does she look the other way?”

He knew what she meant but didn't want to answer her. Gretchen just stood by and let the fans have their fun but Ava had been right. Some of them did take it too far. Did he really want a woman that didn't care about such a thing?

His eyes said it all. Even though it was killing her inside, she walked away from him. She wanted to be happy but deep down she knew she never would be. He'd always be the one. The one she'd never forget.
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


If you're still with me, thank you! I am having so much fun writing this story! Enjoy!


But Ava couldn't forget that kiss. The way his lips felt. The hunger she felt as his arms wrapped around her. The feel of his hair in her fingers. Their bodies connected in a way she'd never felt with another man in her life. Sure Adam made sure she was satisfied but there were Sundays she and Joe would spend in bed making love until they couldn't move. The Sunday funny papers crumpling under them before being tossed to the floor. Barb was right. The world wasn't right if she and Joe weren't in it together. She decided that she couldn't keep seeing Adam because he deserved better. He asked her if there was somebody else and she said yes. He asked if she was in love with this other man. She gave the same reply. He was crushed but she just couldn't continue hurting a good man.

She was having lunch with Barb and was staring out the window of the restaurant when the waiter came to take their order.

“Ava? Ava!”

She turned and looked at her friend.”What?”

“You know what you want?” Referring to the man patiently waiting to take her order.

“Just give me whatever she's having.”And handed him the menu.

“Where are you girl?”

“Did I tell you what happened the other night at your party?”

“Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like it?”

“I think it's something you'd actually approve of had I not walked away.”

“What did you to to Joe?”

“We kissed. It was amazing. Just like the first time he kissed me. I miss him.. I just think that after leaving him like that.......”Ava trailed off and fidgeted with the cloth napkin setting on her plate.

“Are you fucking kidding me?! That boy has been waiting for you to show up on his doorstep.”Go! Get out of here. Be happy.”

“What about Gretchen?”

“What about Adam?”

“I broke up with him.”

“I don't think you'll have a problem.”

“You know something I don't?”

“No.”

“You sure?”

“Ava, I'm not lying this time. He's friends with Tom and he trusts my husband for the same thing you trust me. I don't share the deep stuff. That's our stuff.”

“Okay. What about the food though?”

“You'll owe me one.”

Ava grabbed her purse and leaned over to hug her friend.”Wish me luck.”

“You don't need it. Just go get him.”


She stood there forever debating how to handle it but she finally talked herself into just going with the flow. Exhausting a deep breath, she knocked on the door. The butterflies started flitting around in her stomach like this was the first time she'd ever been here. It was the first time she'd been here since the break up. What was taking so long? He had to be here. His car was here. What if they took Gretchen's car though? She rang the doorbell.

“Be there in a second!”He called out from the other side of the one thing keeping her away from the love of her life.

She took another deep breath before he pulled the door open wearing nothing more than a pair of well worn blue jeans. She wanted to lift her eyes to his but his bare chest was staring her right in the face. Get a grip on yourself Ava! “Hi,”she managed to squeak out.

“Hi,”he returned; his grip firm on the door handle. He wasn't sure why she was here but he was praying that it's why he thought it was.

“Can we talk?”

“Uh, yeah. Come on in.”

She stepped inside and he closed the door.

“Can I get you something to drink?”

“No thank you. I.....just … I don't know why I came here.” Turning back for the door. His hand landed over hers as she grabbed the knob.

“It's probably the same reason I've been trying to get your address out of Barb.”


She turned back to face him and his eyes met hers. “She lied to me.”

“It got you here didn't it?” That smile that melted her to the core.

“True.”

“What are we doing Ava?”

Her back was against the door as his mouth slowly moved closer to hers.”I don't know but maybe we shouldn't be doing it.”

His breath was on hers and before even considering the consequences their lips were locked for the second time in three days. Her hands slid up over his bare skin and around his neck; fingers slipping into the thickness of his hair. She could feel the hunger of his body growing for her and she pulled away breathlessly. She really wanted it to feel wrong but their lips reconnected; their tongues eventually joining in that game.

He drew her leg up around his hip as his lips traveled down her neck and back up; rejoining them as though they'd never left hers. He drew the other leg up around his hip. Her legs locking around him like it was the most natural thing in the world. Her lips drew away from his and softly nibbled along his jaw before whispering in his ear,”Let's go to the bedroom.” The same sentiment as though she'd never left though.

The knock on the door came disrupted something he'd been wanting for so long and now it was wrong.
He completely forgot that Gretchen was coming over.

Ava disengaged her hold on his body and glared at him.”I knew this was a bad idea.”
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
She felt like a complete and utter fool to think that he still loved her. He just wanted something that was familiar and was going to say whatever it took to get her to that place. Even now, her heart wouldn't let go of him. She couldn't go out with a guy without comparing him to Joe. Even the most recent steady, Brent. It's nice to feel protected but she felt more than smothered some days. It was like she couldn't go anywhere without feeling like she was being watched. It was starting to get creepy to be honest. It had been two months since the incident at Joe's place. How is it somebody can get so under your skin and you don't even realize it? What frightened her the most was the first time she was with somebody after that day, she called out his name in the throes. And that was two weeks after the fact! She was going insane she was sure of it. Knocking on Barb's door, she waited and rocked back and forth on her feet until she was greeted by Tom.”Is she ready to go?”

“Almost. Why don't you come on in and wait in the living room and I'll set her ass in gear.”

“Just her ass?”Ava joked with Tom.

“That's the only part that's holding her back.”

“I heard that,”she called out.

“I can get her,”Ava said.

“Just have a seat.”

Ava was confused. Normally, Tom would let her just cruise right through the house. Something was up. Reluctantly she found her way in there. Fuck! She should have known better. Why did Barb keep insisting on putting them in the same room? She should just leave but she was going to be an adult about it. Taking a seat across the way from him, she crossed her legs and bounced her knee nervously. Why she should be so nervous she didn't know but the minute their eyes connected, it was like she couldn't stay mad at him. Ever. It was hard enough walking out on him but she needed somebody that was going to be there for her. She understood that his fans had a place in his life but she should have been the one that came first in his heart. Maybe deep down she knew but he was never able to say the words until she walked out on him that night.

“Everything going okay these days?”He was the first to say something. The silence was deafening and he was sure she felt it too. He was also confident that Barb coerced Tom into this little scheme. He knew he screwed up that afternoon. Even Gretchen reamed him for something she knew nothing about. Okay, so maybe she did but she didn't turn out to be as polite as everybody thought she was. The things that came out of her mouth. Their romance didn't last but two weeks after that because she thought he was still in love with Ava. She was right but he wasn't about to admit it to her.

She turned her head and gave him a look.”Like you care.”

“You don't think I do?”

“I think you just need somebody to keep your bed warm and I'm the most familiar piece you could put there.”

“Why do you keep fighting this Ava? I've never stopped loving you.”

“Then why couldn't you say it before I walked out that door?! I gave you my heart , said the words so many times I felt like a broken record because I was the only one saying them!” Dammit! She couldn't cry in front of him and yet there the tears were. Just like raindrops. She buried her face in her hands and sobbed. She felt his arm around her shoulder; pulling her toward his chest there on the couch.

“Please just let me go,”Ava replied weakly through her tears.

“Ava, please look at me. If I die of a broken heart it'll be on you.”

That brought her attention to him and a halt to the endless stream of tears pouring out of her eyes.

When she looked up at him, he swiped away the remnants and grinned.”I had to get your attention but I'd die a lonely old man before I let anyone else into my heart Ava. You have to know that.”

“Then why couldn't you tell me then? While I was still there?”

:”Because I was stupid and thought we had all the time in the world to say those three little words that are as huge as can be.”

“So you were afraid. Even after all the times I professed it to you?” Ava pulled out of his embrace.
For as much as she wanted to remain there, it was impossible to remain rational. Nobody's ever rational when it comes to love she reasoned with herself.

“I know it doesn't make sense but has love ever made sense to you?”

“Until you came along , absolutely none but I can't do this anymore Joe. I can't give my heart to you when I know you could rip it right out of me again.”

“I understand but my life is so empty without you there telling me that despite not knowing what I was doing in the kitchen that it was enough to know that I tried to make you a romantic dinner. Or falling asleep with you curled up next me as we watch a classic movie on Saturday night. Waking up Sunday morning and reading the funny papers until you start nibbling on my neck and we forget that they exist until late afternoon and we need to eat. I don't want to be without you there anymore Ava. I just want things the way they used to be and I'm not going to say I love you now because I know you'll just think it's a way for me to get back in.”

“Then you don't know me that well. That's all I've ever wanted to hear you say.. Ever. I never needed a big production, just three little words.”Getting up off the couch, she called for Barb.

She felt his hands on her shoulder and his breath there as well. It took all her resolve to not turn around and forget why she should just let him go. But she couldn't resist. Despite the ache in her heart, she let go of the resistance and turned to face him. She pulled his mouth to hers and kissed him as hungrily as she did the last time and pulled away breathlessly. Their eyes locked and he pulled her back in. Mouths connecting, tongues twisting as he eased back onto the couch. Her knees sinking into the couch as she straddled him, forgetting where they were. Forgetting there was another man in her life. Attempting to get this one naked. Loving him like she never had before then pulled away.”We can't do this.”

He started nibbling down her neck and she weakened yet again. She pulled his mouth to hers and unbuttoned his shirt as the desire built between them. She started nibbling down his neck and he whispered,”Maybe we should go back to my place.”

“Or mine.”

“Either way , make a decision cuz I don't want you getting freaky on my couch,”Barb stated.

That brought Ava back to reality.” I can't do this,”she whispered.

“Why not?”

“I have a boyfriend.” She removed herself from his lap and was sorry she'd let it go on like it did.

He grabbed her hand and she gave him an apologetic look. Turning her eyes to Barb she said,”Let's go.”

Karma's definitely a bitch because it can't keep letting us get this close then yanking the rug out from under our feet. Something has got to give. After the girls had left, Tom sat on the other end of the couch and said,”You gonna be okay?”

“Why does this keep happening?”

“First it was Gretchen now SHE'S got someone. Any other guy would think I'm a wimp for admitting this but I love her. I can't live without her.”

“I know. I'll talk to Barb. She just wants you two to be happy together but you two have to make it happen.”



“Are you nuts?!”Barb scolded Ava as they headed down the freeway toward the mall that afternoon.

“What? I have a boyfriend. I don't do that.”

“Why not? Brent is scum and you know it!”

Ava pulled over to the side of the road and killed the engine.”First, you're my friend Barb and I love you but stop meddling! Just because you think it's right doesn't mean it is. I loved him but he couldn't tell me he did until it was too late. I can't just forget that. As for Brent, that's my choice whether you like it or not and maybe one day I will open my eyes but no matter how much you force Joe and I together, it's just not meant to be. At least not right now.”


Barb sat quietly stunned at her friend's outburst but she was right. She could force it all she wanted but maybe it just wasn't in the stars. Maybe she was just seeing something she thought was there.

“Please don't hate me Barb. I just-”

“I'm so sorry Ava. I guess I thought something was there when it really wasn't,”Barb interrupted Ava.

“ I thought there was too but I had to move on. I'll always love him but I may never be in love with him again.” You just keep telling yourself that Ava and maybe one day you'll believe it
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
It'd been two weeks since he'd crawled under his skin like that again and she just wished she could get it out of her system. Maybe she needed to move far, far away and make a new start because nothing else seemed to be working . Then again, why should she have to leave her life, family and friends just because of a broken heart. She shouldn't . Time would heal it and she would make it through without him. She had to believe that. Brent was easier to get rid of. Turns out it wasn't her he was following all the times she knew he was around. It was her friend Chuck that he was interested in. Talk about weird. Anyway, she and a few of the girls decided to have a girls night and go dancing. It was fun. For awhile.

She was about to browbeat Barb into the ground when she saw him but Barb swore on her Grandmother's grave she had nothing to do with it this time. He was there with a couple of his buddies. She watched as he surveyed the crowd. She prayed his eyes didn't land on her anytime soon because she couldn't be responsible for her actions. At least Barb was being honest this time.

“Anyone need a refill here?” The waitress offered.

“Tequila Sunrise here,”Stephanie spoke up.

“Amaretto sour,”Angela replied.

“Coke for me thanks,”Barb said. She was the driver.

“Anything for you miss?” She looked at Ava. Ava studied her half empty strawberry daiquiri and was about to answer when she heard his voice.”Frozen strawberry daiquiri.”

Breathe. The waitress smiled and set off to fulfill their requests.”Would it be too much if I asked for a dance?” Smiling hopefully.

Why does he keep doing this to her?! The fact that he still remembered her favorite drink. A good thing right? She wasn't sure. When she did finally turn to face him, she noticed he was wearing her favorite sweater. The one that made his big blue eyes all the more stunning. Fuck! Just give in already. It's only a dance after all.”Most people wear more breathable things to dance in.”

“I thought you might say that so I did.” He pulled the sweater over his head to reveal the plain white t-shirt beneath it.

He made the simplest item of clothing something she wanted to tear through and lick every inch on him. Fuck! He's not playing fair. Maybe deep down she didn't want to forget it because it was THAT GOOD.”You win. One dance.”

He took her hand and led her onto to somewhat crowded floor. If he'd played it like he knew he did, there would be a slow jam on anytime. It just felt good to be out there again with her. She looked up at him and for the first time in seven months he saw the light that once shined there before that girl fucked it up for them. Could she really be getting back to the woman he fell in love with? The woman that needed to know that she meant the world to him despite his lack of saying the words? The music slowed and there was that awkward moment of do you or don't you? Let her make the move.

She took his hand in hopes that it would let him know that it was okay for another dance. Maybe tonight was their new beginning. She hoped.

She felt his hand draw her close by the small of her back and her other hand rest gently on his shoulder. For the longest time there were no words, just their bodies getting closer and closer until her arms were draped around his neck and his were secure around her waist.

“I miss this Ava. I miss us,he confessed as the song progressed into another romantic tune.

“Me too,”she replied;moving her head from his shoulder so he could see the expression in her eyes. She was just going to let go and let the night lead them wherever it could. This time when their lips connected it wasn't rushed or frenzied. It was just soft, slow and tender. Their hearts reconnecting as the world passed by all around them.

When they separated, he suggested they go home but she replied gently,”I love you joe but let's not rush right back into this. Believe me, I've missed you so much it can't be measured. I think it's best if we take it one day at a time and we go from there.”

He was disappointed in her response to say the least but he understood where she was coming from.”Do you think your friends would mind if I at least drove you home?”

“I think Barb's already picking out our wedding invitations over there,”she giggled and waved at Barb whom had a silly grin on her face. She buried her head in Joe's shoulder. “I'm beginning to think we've been set up again.”

“Most likely but it's nice to know we have friends that only want us to be as happy as they are.”

“You're really aiming for that kiss at the door aren't ya?” Pulling my face away from his body.

“Is it working?” He grinned.

“Could be. Maybe we could have my drink before we leave?”

“Anything for you sweetheart.”


They ended up talking and laughing just like they used to in a secluded corner of the club for a couple of more drinks. By that time, the club was closing down. They hadn't realized how much time they'd lost track of. They didn't even notice their friends had left they were so wrapped up in reacquainting themselves but they were still the same two people that fell in love nearly two years ago. She couldn't deny that.

She was about to turn to her door with the key when he pulled her into his arms and said,”About that goodnight kiss?”

“What about it?” She teased.

“What are the odds on it?”

“I'd say.”She slid her arms around his neck and finished with a soft, lingering kiss that burned through and through.

“Sure I can't come in.”

“I think it's best if we hold off there for awhile, “she replied delicately.

He knew she was right but can't blame a guy for trying. He wanted her back in his life and he was willing to do whatever it took to get her there. He reciprocated her kiss and said,”I had a good time tonight Ava. I'll call you?”

“You can call me.”Smiling shyly. It felt like their first date all over again. Maybe thats the place they needed to get back to. She just prayed they would.

“Then goodnight it is.”Sealing it with one last kiss before leaving her on her doorstep. They were going to make it this time. He just knew it..
Chapter 6 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



If you're still along for the ride, thank you! I really truly am having the time of my life writing this one. It means a lot that you're still enoying it. On with the show!


It had been two weeks and everything was going great. She and Joe were back at that 'please don't make me say goodnight' phase of their relationship and it felt wonderful. She was sure he wasn't seeing it that way but guys never do. And if you think she wasn't hurting in a major way, you're dead wrong. It was all she could do not to rip open his shirt and lick those long, lean abs of his. Circle each nipple repetitively until he was begging for mercy. No, of course she hadn't thought about it. B.O.B just kept appearing in bed with her to relieve the stress. They could get freaky but that's not how she wanted it. She wanted to make sure he was in love with her, not just the physical.

She was straightening up her place when her land line rang.”Hello?” She answered; carrying the cordless with her as she straightened the stack of magazines on her coffee table.

“Hey lady! What's going on?”Angela greeted cheerily.

“Hey yourself! You sound happy. New guy?”

“THE guy.”

“You say that about all of them Ange.”

“This one I know is for sure.”

Ava rolled her eyes.“So tell me about Mr. Wonderful.”

“He's got the most gorgeous eyes but Oh My God Ava! We went swimming the other day and when he got out of the pool, I just wanted to lick him from head to toe but I restrained myself.”

“So why didn't you?”

“Because I really like this guy and I don't want to mess it up with sex.”

“I'm the last to ask for any kind of love advice but when it gets to that point, it'll be more than just great sex.”

“I know lady but we're going out again tonight. He's taking me out to dinner then I don't know. He said it was a surprise.”

“Now I hear it. You really are crazy about this guy.”

“Speaking of madly in love, how are things going with Joe?”

“ We're taking it slow. We make sure we're not alone for too long at a time and when we get to the door we play that 'can I come in' game and I have to tell him no because well, damn, I really don't know anymore. At first I thought it was because I was trying to make sure that he was there for me and only me and so far, so good. Now I just want to rip his clothes off and do what God intended for men and women in love to do.”

“In other words you wanna fuck his brains out,”Angela laughed hard.

“It's not funny. I'm trying to be a lady and I'm failing miserably. If I don't have him soon, I'm gonna wear out the battery on B.O.B This is serious!”

“Then jump him the next time you see him. It doesn't matter what time of day right?”

“So you're thinking I should go see him?”

“I think you should do whatever you want but I was wondering if maybe we could go shopping this afternoon. I could be there in like twenty minutes.”

“Hold that thought,”Ava told her friend as she went to answer the knock on the door. On the other side was the very subject they were discussing and by the look in his eyes, they'd been having the same thought that afternoon. “Uh Angela......”

Before she knew what hit her, the phone was on the floor, her body pressed against the wall and him kicking the door closed. His mouth was on hers almost immediately.

“I love you so much Ava. Please don't say no,” he requested breathlessly of her when they came up for air.

His answer came in the form of her fingers quickly peeling through the buttons of his shirt; her eyes locked into his. She pushed the material off his shoulders. He shed it as she pulled her baby doll tee over her head. Their mouths connected as their bodies conformed to one another. She could feel his need for her as he drew her legs up around his hip; backing her against the wall.

Little was said as the intensity grew. He felt as though he were touching her for the first time and couldn't get enough of her body. The nerves are there but you don't care because all you want to do is get naked and just feel their skin against yours? It felt so good. He drew her other leg up around his body and she held on.

She wanted to tell him to take her there but they had that connection that it was just a given as to where they would be going. When they arrived in her room, he was about to set her down on the bed when he whispered in her ear.

“You feel so good I don't want to let go.”

“Well I do like the way you're feeling but we can't really do anything if you don't now can we?”She teased.

Which in return only worked him up more. He eased her down onto the bed and rid himself of everything that kept him from fully being a part of her. He watched as she wriggled out of her remaining clothing. Especially those cute little boy panties she loved wearing around the house when they were all alone. As he came down over her, he commented,”Have you got more beautiful or was I just so blind I never noticed it all?”

“I don't need pretty words right now Joe. I just need you. Can't you feel it?” Drawing his hand down between her thighs; open and ready for him As she felt his hand move of it's own volition, she whimpered as he wiggled a finger inside her wetness.

“No you don't but perhaps I should.” Pressing his thumb gently against her aching clit. He loved watching as her body arched up off the bed; clutching the sheets beneath them.

“Please,”She begged as her gaze returned to his.

No sense in wasting time. He needed it as much as he did. They had all the time in the world at that moment. He wasn't going to waste this one. His body penetrated hers and it was as though nothing had ever gone wrong. The were right together. Right where they belonged. The only words spoken were that of communicating love as he moved within her. Her legs wrapped around him as she held firmly onto his butt. He slowed and held inside her as he kissed her with all the pent up desire that had been building over the many months they were separated. He'd been with other women but Ava was the one that fit. Her grip on him loosened as did her legs but they were very much connected.

He drew her leg up around his hip and pulled her over onto him She steadily rolled her hips until she found a rhythm that would knock him right out of the park and her right to her very core. The euphoria sweeping over them as he came up from beneath her and latched onto one of her nipples. The gentle suckling sent her body reeling one more time. She trembled as his arms wrapped around her back; whispering the words she thought had been just a dream before they ended up naked in her bed. His lips brushed her shoulder as flesh pressed against flesh; a soft sheen of sweat holding them together.

”I love you.” He prayed that what was coming from his heart would find hers. That it wouldn't be too late to rescue what was once theirs and always should have been.
Chapter 7 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



Sorry about the lack of updates. It's been the week from hell. Enjoy!


Ava withdrew her head from his shoulder and lost herself in those amazingly beautiful blue eyes that were still dark with desire for her. He meant it this time. They'd been intimate long enough for her to know the the truth when he was hiding it. He wasn't hiding it necessarily, he just never said it. He'd already said it twice to her not even once yet. She forced him back onto the bed and kissed him long and slow; their fingers tangled above his head. When she couldn't breathe again, she drew away and really looked into his eyes. His hands surrounded her face as kept her long, blond hair out of the way.”I love you so much Joe. Please make me feel like this isn't a dream anymore. “

He didn't need anymore incentive and met her words with his lips; losing himself in her body. Still inside her, they shifted positions and he was now hovering over her. Not wanting to spoil the moment but not wanting the moment to be spoiled nine months later he suggested,”I know we didn't think about this earlier but maybe we should take a little precaution this time around?”

She giggled. He was the only man she'd ever been with that had ever thought about that. Sometimes she was thankful for that but there had been times when she just wished they'd have just let loose and took a chance. Apparently they did this once.”Let's risk it.”

“You're serious?”

“No. I just love watching you squirm.”

“ I think I'm gonna have to teach you a lesson but first,”he smirked then reached over into her bedside drawer; not pulling out what he had intended.”I've been replaced I see.”

Oh shit! B.O.B You can do this.” Trust me baby, you could never be replaced.”

“I think we're going to have to make sure that I do a better job than he does.” Letting the neon pink vibrator dangle from his fingers.

Why oh why couldn't she have put that away for safe keeping? Oh yeah, because she wasn't expecting him to be in her bed anytime soon. If anything, his bed was the place she was expecting them to end up in.

Every other woman he'd ever been with was embarrassed by the fact that they had to resort to electronics for satisfaction but he knew even this wasn't as satisfying as the feel of a warm body next to yours. He worked his way down her body; leaving no part of it untouched by his lips.

God he was good with his mouth. She loved the way his tongue tickled her nipples before those delicious pink lips wrapped around them. The straight line his tongue made down to the very heart of her. But it wasn't his mouth that was there. Not to start with anyway.

Taking the object in hand, he turned it onto the lowest speed and let it work it's magic. On low, it really didn't much other than make her squirm. He increased it to medium as he pushed it inside her before running it over the the swollen little bud of her pleasure.

“Oh fuck! You are so gonna get it when I get my hands on you.”

“That won't be too soon,”he replied; turning the mechanism off and moving down between her thighs. Well she was wet. That was for damn sure! He slid his tongue through her hot, wet flesh before inhaling her stiff little knob; humming as he rolled it around.

Fuck me! He knew how to make her climb the walls. He wasn't smug like the ones that actually thought they could. Sad that you have to fake it sometimes. She never had to fake it with him. Her hips rolled of their own volition. His hands cupped her ass as he worked her into a frenzy. Normally she would need his fingers in there doing the work but God damn his tongue was doing a fine ass job of satiating that high. She grasped the sheets beneath them and cried out as the pleasure overwhelmed her.

He loved watching her get hers and worked his way back up toward her lips.”So who was better?”

She could lie to him but hands down, his mouth was amazing. The natural vibration from his lips was better than a vibrator any day.”What do you think?”

“I think I need to feel you again.”

“I think you do too but I think you need a little satisfaction yourself.”Reaching down and grabbing his length in her hand; gently stroking it.

He groaned but returned.” Well if you think it's necessary.”

“Lay back and let yourself go,”she ordered him . She wasn't going to do anymore than give him what he needed but she loved licking and tormenting him as she slithered downward. Before going to work on him, she met his gaze. Her hand going to work as she slowly stroked him into submission. Not quite that far but she swirled her tongue around the swollen head of his cock before dipping fully onto his length.


Did her mouth always feel this good?! Shit! That was new. She was playing with his balls as her mouth continued to stroke him. He knew it would only take seconds at this rate. Fuck! Okay, it's go time now. Pulling her away from her task, he pushed her onto her back and grabbed a condom from the drawer before sinking into her depths.


Absence apparently does make the heart grow fonder. He felt so good. SO good! She was on overdrive before he even pushed further and deeper then he'd ever gone with her. He drew her leg up around his hip and sunk himself long and hard into her.”God Joe! Please!”She begged as held that thigh firmly. She felt her body tightening.

It was just a matter of time.”God you feel so good!” She was so close he was sure she was going to just draw him in with her.
“Oh God....Oh...oh...oh fuck yes!” She cried out as her body surrendered to his slow but steadied rhythm.

He almost got pulled along for the ride but just a little more and wham! She came along for the seond time as one final took thrust him to that place. Exhausted, he rest against her ; her arms wrapped around him.
“I don't know about you but I need a breather before we go another round.”

His breathlessness got her all worked up again. She didn't think he realized how much that turned her on. Amazing that the heat of his breath upon her skin got her all hormonal so soon. “ I think I can manage. Maybe we should get something to eat. You're gonna need your strength,”Ava teased.

“You think so?” He moved his head to meet her gaze.

“I know so.”

“You'll have to prove it to me.”

“I can do that but you need to move,”she replied just as the doorbell rang. Shit! She totally forgot about Angela.
Chapter 8 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



Last update til Tuesday. Thanks to all those that are reading and reviewing. If you like it, please don't be shy. Enjoy!


“I just got you back. I'm not letting you go anywhere. Not today anyway.”Leaning and capturing her lips as the doorbell rang again.

“So the rest of the world just won't exist for the next twenty fours?”Ava inquired as his lips traveled down along her neck and back up to hers.

“What do you think?” His eyes locked into hers as the doorbell rang one more time.

“I think they can come back.”She pulled his mouth to hers and they went tumbling so she was on top of him.”But maybe we should get something to eat.”

“Can't I just nibble on you?”He raised his brow suggestively as his hand slid around the curve of her ass.

Her lips curved into a smile; shaking her head.”Where the hell do you get your strength?” They'd just gone two rounds and he was ready to for round number three in less than two hours. The only reason she knew this was because she'd noticed the time just before he barged in and took her breath away.

“You're my strength,”he returned.”That and the fact that I haven't had any in the last three months.”

“Seriously?”She wasn't sure if this was her lucky day or not but maybe she should just go with and deal with the consequences later. If this was a dream, she really didn't want to wake up.

“Well if you're not counting my hand, then yeah it's been that long.”

Ava giggled but she knew the truth. She was getting some before this but it wasn't the same. That was for sure. It hadn't been the same since she walked out on him. “Well I think I've got a replacement for your hand.”

“And I think it fits me pretty well too.”

“I like to think it does but right now IT needs a reprieve. Some food , a shower then we can play some more.”Telling him more than asking him if it was okay. He didn't seem to mind when he answered her.

“As long as it's just you and me for the rest of the weekend, it doesn't matter where we spend it.”

“I knew there was a reason I loved you.”

“Because I always let you have your way?” He teased as she got up and grabbed his shirt from the floor.

“Ha. Ha,”she remarked sarcastically and buttoned his shirt.

“Did I say you could wear that?” He got up and pulled his jeans on as she pulled her dresser drawer open to find a pair of panties. She felt him right behind her as he whispered,”Don't.”

“Why not?”

“Seems kind of useless if I'm just gonna have my way with you again in the kitchen now doesn't it?”

“You think you're going to get a little freaky in MY kitchen?”

“I think we're gonna get a little freaky in every room before I leave tomorrow night.”Drawing her back against his body. His arms fully wrapped around her; preventing her from going any further at the time.

“You have no shame.”

“I know and if you'll let me, I'll drag you right down that path with me.”


She shivered with the mere anticipation of spending the weekend wrapped up in him. The possibilities were endless.”You're sure you don't have anywhere to be?”

“My calendar is cleared specifically for you this weekend.”

“Let's get something to eat then. I haven't had anything since breakfast and I wasn't planning on seeing you until tonight so I was going to have lunch after I got off the phone before you arrived.”

“Only because YOU need to keep your strength up,”he teased her and loosened his entanglement.

She stepped away and grinned,”Just for that, I may make you sing for your supper.”

“And that would be a problem how?”

“Well you're not always on key,”she toyed with him as she backed toward the doorway.

“You think so?”

“Yeah.”

“I bet I can make you hit more high notes than I can.”

“Where have I heard that one before?” She rolled her eyes as she let him get just close enough.

“You must be willing to risk it.”

“Not really. I just like to watch you move. Your hips are very mesmerizing.”

“So you're just using me for sex now. I see how you are."

“I thought all men liked to be used for sex.”He was so close.

“Only to a certain point.”

“And what point might that be?”

“The point where I give it to you good and hard.”

“Well, you'll have to prove that to me then,”She turned and was about to move past the doorway when he forced her up against the wall; his breath on her neck. Fuck that was hot!

He didn't speak as he undid his jeans; freeing himself to take her. Lifting the tail of his shirt that she was wearing, he pushed it up over her luscious behind; sliding his dick over the crack of it ever so slowly.

She trembled as he reached around her body and found her pressure point. She trembled as her body flooded with desire. She needed to feel him again.

“Fuck you look so hot in my clothes,”he remarked ; feeling her body succumb to the pleasure his fingers were now giving her.

“Just take me now. Can't you feel how hot I am for you?” She begged him.

Spreading her legs far enough he grasped her hips and plunged into her body. They were both already on fire so he knew this was going to be short and sweet.

She used the wall as support; the palm of her hand flat against it and the other gripping the doorway. His dick pounding into like they'd never have this opportunity again. Oh dear God! She couldn't be coming this soon again. But it wasn't just her this time. No sooner did the pleasure consume her than did it him as he pulled out and released himself on the small of her back. “That was fucking incredible!”She turned her head to meet his gaze.

His chin resting on her shoulder, he breathlessly replied,”Don't worry. There's more where that came from.”

Heaven help me now! I'm gonna need all the strength I can get!
Chapter 9 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



I apologize for the lack of updates on this one but here you go and enjoy! Thank you for your patience!


Afternoon turned to early evening and the food once again was forgotten as they took a dip in the pool.
Just like old times. The world around them kept spinning but it may have well been non existent for the way he made her feel back in the day. They were snuggling on the couch with the television on and had become more background noise as the couch became a playground in itself. They finally decided to order pizza. That way they wouldn't be distracted by anything other than just having to pay for the food because Joe had been known to play with his food . Nibbled off of her from one end to the other.”You want me to get that?”

“It is your house but since I'm buying dinner, I'll go grab it,”he replied and kissed her softly.

The doorbell rang again and she removed herself from the comfort of his chest. She heard the muffled voices and saw Angela enter the room with her date in tow. Thank god she'd opted to put a robe on earlier. Joe looked at her apologetically.

“Thank God you're okay! I didn't know what to think when you just dropped our call like that this afternoon.”

“I'm fine. Hey Donnie,”she smiled toward him then whispered to Angela.”You did good.”

She turned her head to him and grinned like a fool.” Yeah I did. So I see what happened to you this afternoon.”

“Come on Donnie. Let's give the girls a little privacy for a few minutes. Drinks for anyone?”Joe offered.

“Just a diet coke for me,”Ava replied.

“Angie?”

“I'll have the same. We can't stay too long.”

“We have pizza coming if you'd like to join us.”

Ava knew this was putting a wrench to make this just them this weekend but she knew he wasn't selfish either. They'd stay long enough to eat then it would be the two of them again.

Angela looked up to Donnie and he said,”Up to you baby. I'm not picky.”

“We'll stay.”

He leaned over the back of the couch and gave her a soft, sweet kiss. It was kind of cute. Donnie was always good with women but he was completely different with Angela.”I'll be back with your drink before you know it.” And followed Joe into the kitchen.

“Okay, they're gone. Spill,”Ava ordered her friend.

“I don't know. I didn't want to tell you because I wasn't sure where things were going so soon but he's so good to me.”

“He's a good guy but I see something different the way he is with you then before when I've seen him with others. Come with me. I'm going to put some clothes on before the food gets here.”

“So did you? Did he?” Angela asked once the door was closed to the bedroom.

“It was him.”

“I should have listened to you all those years about making them work for it.”

Ava laughed as she pulled a pair of sweats on and returned,” This time it was just both of us being ready. I know you want to jump Donnie but wait just a couple of weeks and you'll have him right where you want him. Plus I know he'll wait for you. I can see that already.”

“Really?”

Ava nodded.”Oh yeah. Save that lingerie for another night.”

Angela blushed.

“God do I know you too well.”

“So you tell me something.”

“What?”As she pulled a T-shirt over her head.

“Have you had clothes on at all since he got here this afternoon?”

“Mine or his?”

“Ava!”

“Well..........I can't help it. I just love his shirts. The scent.”

“TMI girl,”Angela laughed then suggested they return to the living room.



“So when did you and Angela happen?”Joe grabbed the cans of soda out of the refrigerator.

“It's only been a few weeks but this one's different Joe. I don't want to screw it up by making that move too soon.”


Joe was quiet for a minute.”I think it's great that you've got somebody that special in your life now. You'll know when the time's right.”

“Well it's not like I haven't touched her at all.”

“Why are you telling me this? I mean, I think it's great that you and Angie are together. She deserves a guy like you.”

It's a good thing Joe's back was to him at the moment because he was feeling very guilty for something he really shouldn't. It's not like they were together. She was as free as she was but the minute Ava slid her arms around Joe, he felt it. Something he shouldn't have. Jealousy.

Ava said,”What's the hold up here?”

Joe turned around and said,”Just guy talk. What about you?”

Ava could feel his eyes on her. That was the reason she got dressed. Even though he'd seen every last inch of her skin, she wasn't about to ruin it for her friend by giving him reason to glance her way.”Girl talk. Shouldn't the pizza be here by now?” Changing the subject. She knew she should feel guilty but it was just sex after all.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10829