Luna Contest by Anita
Summary: this is a short collection of short stories im trying to decide to enter in a luna fanfiction contest.
Categories: Fanfiction > Movies > Harry Potter Characters: Other
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 2339 Read: 1336 Published: 06/20/06 Updated: 06/21/06

1. Chapter 1 by Anita

2. Into the Department of Mysteries by Anita

Chapter 1 by Anita
Author's Notes:
The stories are stories that stand on their own. Im not putting this together to make one long story its just a couple of shorts im trying to decide to enter one in a contest.
Luna sat alone in the common room in the Ravenclaw quarters. As usual, while the others went outside to enjoy the weather, or headed to the library to study or whatever her classmates did, they did not include Luna in their activities.

Luna Lovegood was different from her classmates. Most people found her strange because of her differences, but Luna was comfortable with being herself. From her radish earring and butter beer cap necklace, to sticking her wand behind her ear and reading her fathers magazine the Quibbler upside down, Luna preferred to do things her way.

Luna glanced outside the window and caught a glimpse of the clear blue sky.

"It is a lovely day." She muttered to herself standing up. "I suppose I could go sit outside to study and read." She reasoned and gathered up her belongings.

Luna was used to being by herself but sometimes she did wish that she had some friends. Most people assumed that Luna was fine constantly being alone, but if people would have taken the time to notice, they would have seen how lonely Luna really was.

Outside, Luna settled herself under a large tree and spread out her stuff. All around her, the other students laughed and hung out with their friends. Luna drew out the copy of the Quibbler she had been reading inside and opened to where she left off.

"Look everyone, it's Looney Lovegood." A familiar arrogant voice called out.

Luna looked up. The voice belonged to Draco Malfoy. A cruel boy who was a year older than her in school and who's father had been a death eater.

Draco and his friends laughed cruelly. Other students near by that had heard him joined in the laughter. It wasn't an usual thing to be making fun of Luna. To them, she was nothing more than a strange girl in their school.

Luna looked at them all with one of her usual dreamy expressions. She refused to show her hurt on the outside. She breathed slowly fighting back her tears and buried her nose in the magazine.

Harry Potter was walking by with his friends Hermione Granger and Ron Weasly. They had heard what Draco had said but they had not joined in with the laughter.

Hermione glared at Draco as the three of them made their way over to Luna.

"Don't let a dumb git like Draco get to you Luna." Ron said as the three of them sat.

Luna looked up at them her strange eyes unblinking.

"I don't let people like him bother me." She answered in her soft dreamy way.

Hermione studied her closely. She figured that Ron and Harry would let it go being that they were boys but Hermonie suspected that Luna was just like any other girl and her feelings had been hurt though Luna wouldn't show it.

"Well maybe if you wouldn't dress or act so weird, people would be nicer to you." Ron said slowly.

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed annoyed that he would say such a thing.

"I have to be going." Luna said standing quickly getting her stuff together.

She walked inside blinded by tears. She had always liked Ron and thought he was a nice guy. He had been ok with her before but today just proved it, Ron was just like the others.

Luna decided just to face it. She was never going to have friends.

"I can't believe how rude you were Ron! You acted like a total git! Just as bad as Draco!" Hermione exclaimed angrily.

"It wasn't very nice Ron." Harry agreed.

"I was just telling the truth you guys!" Ron protested.

"Well you didn't like it when Draco would make fun of you for being poor Ron, you have no right to tease Luna." Hermione said her cheeks flushing angrily.

Ron felt bad.

"Luna is lonely. She doesn't have friends and people are always playing mean tricks on her. They are always stealing her things." Harry said.

Hermione sighed and glanced at the school where Luna had disappeared. True she thought Luna was strange herself, but Luna needed a friend, everyone did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In her room Luna looked at herself in the mirror. Maybe the others were right, maybe she was too strange.

Luna sat on her bed with a sad sigh. Growing up without a mother had been hard. Traveling the world with her father had been nice but maybe it was not enough.

Luna threw her magazine aside and flopped onto the bed and cried softly into her pillow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day when Luna awoke, she felt sad once again. An idea came to mind but she hesitated. Did she really want to try to change?

Luna pulled on her robes and paused looking at her necklace and earrings. She did not put them on as usual. Instead she picked up her brush and began brushing out her long hair.

Carefully, Luna twisted her hair into a braid. She stared at her reflections startled. Without her usual jewelry and long flowing hair, Luna looked a bit different.

"This isn't me." She whispered sadly.

Then she straightened herself and squared her shoulders. She got her books and headed out to the main hall for breakfast. She held her head high as she entered. As she walked slowly to her table, she heard the whispers and she felt the eyes on her.

"What happened to you?" Draco asked her with a cruel laugh as he stepped in front of her.

Luna calmly stepped around him and sat at her place. She ignored the pointing and whispering and began to eat.

"Luna! You look different. You look nice." Ron said as he Harry and Hermione entered the hall.

She looked at them with a small smile.

Hermione looked at her worriedly. This wasn't the Luna she knew.

"You guys, I don't like this. That isn't Luna."

"Oh put a cork in it Hermonie, she looks good." Ron said.

Through-out the day Hermione noticed that people were being nicer to Luna. Every time Hermione and the others passed Luna in the hallway, she was surrounded by different people. Hermonie sighed and shook her head heading off to her Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna felt nervous at all of the new attention she was getting. The entire day people kept coming up to her complimenting her new look. The girls giggled over how pretty her hair looked in a braid.

No one was teasing her yet Luna did not feel happy. This wasn't right. This person wasn't the real Luna.

This thought alone made Luna want to cry more than her loneliness because now that she had friends, Luna had lost the most important person in her life. Herself. Luna realized that she didn't need these other people who didn't even care for who she really was. All she needed was who she was and she should have been happy with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Luna got up to get ready for a new day. She brushed out her long blond hair, put on her radish earrings and butter beer necklace and smiled at herself. Luna Lovegood was back.

She entered the great hall once again head held high. She head the usual snickers she got but this time, she paid no attention.

"Luna! You look great!" A voice called out.

Luna turned as Hermione, Harry and Ron walked over.

"Hello." She greeted them.

Hermione was smiling.

"Nice to have you back Luna." She said.

"Thank you Hermione. I just realized that I'm happy with who I am. I don't need to change for people." Her gaze went to Ron who flushed.

"Sorry about that Luna." He said.

She nodded.

After breakfast Hermione walked over to Luna.

"Would you like to join us outside before class for a while to study?"

Luna smiled.

"I would thank you."

As she followed the others outside she realized that in being herself, she did have friends. As she sat on the grass under the tree with them Draco walked over once again.

He opened his mouth to speak but Hermione cut him off.

"Don't bother Luna again or I'll make your life miserable." Hermione snapped.

"Shut your mouth you ugly mudblood." Draco hissed.

Before anyone could say anything, Luna had drawn out her wand from behind her ear and whispered a spell. Large purple welts arose on Draco's face.

Harry, Ron and Hermione burst out laughing as Draco ran from them clutching his face.

"Thank you Luna." Hermione said.

Luna shrugged.

"That's what friends are for." She drew her book out reading it as usual upside down.

The others looked at each other a smiled. Dreamy Luna Lovegood wasn't so bad after all.
Into the Department of Mysteries by Anita
Author's Notes:
this is another idea i am using for the luna contest
Luna settled herself down on the thestral. She watched dreamily as the others struggled to get on. Harry and Neville who could see the thestral's were not having a problem, being seated on them as she was.

"It really is easy." Luna said getting off her own and leading Ron, Hermione and Ginny to the others and carefully one by one got them on to them.

She climbed back onto her own thestral and sat dreamily as Harry got them all ready. They kicked off and were soon flying over London. She clutched onto her thestral's hairy neck as it soared through the sky.

The ground flew below them in a blur of colors. Luna hummed to herself waiting for the ride to come to an end. Soon they landed and Luna slid gracefully off her thestral. She followed as Harry ran up to the front of the department shouting about a rescue mission.

"Well, where do we go from her?" She asked her voice was quite polite as if they were on an ordinary trip.

"This way." Harry instructed.

She followed the others into a telephone booth. She was quite squished having all of them around her. As they got their badges, they stuck them on and entered. Luna's mouth dropped open slightly as she looked around with a dazed expression.

The group went through a door only to be faced with a dozen more doors. Luna wondered how in the world were they going to find what Harry needed.

She followed the others through one of the doors looking around curiously.

"Oh look! Aquavirius maggots!" Luna exclaimed excitedly. "My dad was talking about the Ministry breeding them!"

"Er, I believe those are brains." Hermione said as her face paled.

Luna wondered why on earth would the Ministry be breeding brains but she kept her mouth shut.

They left the room with Hermione leaving a flaming X on the door then the doors began to spin wildly before stopping. They entered a new room where there was a strange veil floating softy in the breeze of the room. Luna listened to the voices and noticed that Harry was hearing them too.

She almost had to laugh to herself and Harry seemed to be going mad asking the others if they were talking.

"Oh, I can hear them too." Luna breathed standing next to Harry. "There are people in there."

She stood back looking around as Hermione argued that there couldn't possibly be people behind the veil.

The group took off again and entered a room with many rows of shelves. Luna looked around as Harry took off running screaming for Sirius.

They got to the row where Harry was certain Sirius had been in the dream. She gasped as Ron pointed out the glass sphere that had Harry's name on it. She shuddered to herself. They held their wands ready as Harry searched more for Sirius.

Luna had an uneasy feeling as was about to tell Harry when something caught the corner of her eye.

She turned to tell Harry and the others when a cold voice rang out. The group whirled around. Luna's eyes grew round as they all came face to face with a bunch of death eaters.

She couldn't let her fear show. She watched as Harry bravely faced Malfoy and the others. Time seemed to go by so slowly. She felt a step on her foot and looked out of the corner of her eye.

She knew what she had to do. Waiting for the right moment with the others, she screamed out the spell and took off running as fast as her legs could carry her. She could hear the death eaters hot on their heels.

"Hurry!" She called frantically.

She, Ron and Ginny ran into a room. It seemed to be as if they were in outer space. The room was dark and filled with planets. Luna heard a death eater shout out a spell, she screamed as it hit Ron and he began laughing.

She called spells over her shoulder along with Ginny, the two of them dragging Ron. It was a lot of hard work for both of them. One of the death eaters lunged forward grabbing Ginny by the foot.

"Luna help me!" Ginny cried helplessly.

Luna tried to drag him off but it wasn't working. There was a sickening crack and a loud cry from Ginny. Luna grabbed her wand and yelled out the Reductor Curse and blew up Pluto in the face of the death eater who was holding onto Ginny. She quickly pushed Ron and Ginny through the door.

Luna was able to find Harry and Neville. She explained to him what had happened. They went off again, Stunning Spells being shot across the room. Harry went to try to help Neville with Hermione who had been hit with a curse that knocked her out.

Luna began to help Neville to bewitch the doors when suddenly a spell hit her. She let out a scream as her body went flying through the air.

Her body hurdled through the air, hit a desk and slid over its surface before she fell onto the floor next to Hermione's body. Everything went black and Luna lay still as a mini war erupted around them.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7884