- Text Size +
Chapter 15: Brian

Little Julia sat in my lap as Precious and I sat outside on the dock near the lake eating our supper. I’d decided to get there early and help with whatever I could. As it turned out, Precious’ parents needed a lot of help with the preparations. I think they were both surprised and pleased to see me willingly volunteer to help out.

I’m really glad that Precious is back. I’ve missed her a whole lot, and seeing her in person is so much better than just a picture. I remember Texas making fun of me because I’d been staring at Precious and how gorgeous she looked with that pink flower in her dark hair and the brand new sweater she’d gotten after returning from Puerto Rico.

“This is good,” I told her, motioning to the food on my plate. Of course, I had no idea what it was. Some Puerto Rican dish, I think.

“Mama made it,” Precious replied as she offered a piece of breaded shrimp to Julia. Julia took it, but apparently didn’t like it since she threw it in the lake right after she took a bite.

“Remind me to get the recipe,” I chuckled.

We were quiet for several minutes after that, just enjoying our time together. I reached into my pocket and fingered the gift I was planning to give her. Kevin and I had gone out the day before I was to come home from his place and we had purchased a ring; gold band with a sapphire in the center, kind of like those rings you get in your junior year of high school, only prettier. Well, actually, Kevin paid for it; I just picked it out. It really meant a lot to me that he did that.

Before I could speak, Precious’ grandmother Consuelo came looking for Julia. Julia giggled and reached up for her.

“Bela!” I think she was trying to say abuela, Spanish for “grandmother.”

With a smile, I handed my sister over to Consuelo, who whisked her away to the rest of the family. I had a feeling I wouldn’t be seeing her for half an hour until someone brought her to me, fussing with her thumb in her mouth.

“She looks like your mother.” Precious said. I’d showed her a picture a few months back, since she’d never met my mom in person.

I sighed. “Yeah.”

“Did you ever know your father?”

I looked at her, startled at the question. She’d never brought up family like that before.

“Yeah, up until I was eleven.”

“What happened?”

I bit my lip. Why was she asking me this? She knew I hated to talk about it. The memories were very painful and so vivid it was like it happened yesterday.

“Brian?” her voice came again. “Please, tell me.”

I blinked away the tears that were forming. “He died… an accident at work.”

I felt her hand take mine. So soft. She gave my hand a squeeze and I returned it, smiling at the same time. Precious reached up and brushed away a tear that I hadn’t realized had fallen. I took her hand and kissed it gently, then leaned forward and brushed her lips with mine in our first kiss. It was soft and gentle, but glorious.

When we pulled back, I was amazed at the love I saw in her eyes. How did a guy like me get lucky enough to have a girl like Precious as a girlfriend? It was the perfect time... now or never. I felt around for the ring in my pocket, trying to ignore my suddenly dry throat and sweaty palms. I'd never given anyone a promise ring before... never wanted to. But Precious was, well... she was more special than anyone I'd ever met. I wanted to give her a reminder of how I felt even when we were apart. I withdrew the ring, trying to think of smooth words and flashy lines. But the moment I looked into her warm chocolate eyes all that fancy stuff vanished, and I spoke my heart.

"P-precious," I began, then stopped and cleared my throat. How could I have cracked on a single word? She smiled, and things were okay once again.

"I've been thinking about us... me and you... and, well, I just wanted you to know how special you are to me. When we're together, everything seems right. I hate to be apart from you, but when we have to be... well, I was hoping you'll accept this promise ring. That way you can look at it and remember how much I love you."

My heart stopped beating as she looked at it, then me, then back at it again. When the smile lit her face, my entire world shifted again.

"Yes, Brian, I'll accept this. I'll wear it every day, and remember that I'm the luckiest girl in the entire world."

I could have leaped for joy at those words. Instead, I settled for our second kiss.

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. My eyes were filled with images of Precious... laughing, sending me a grin as her Grandfather told another outrageous story, smiling in a secret, only-we-know way. We finally left around eight, with a promise to get together in a couple of days for the Street Festival. Of course, I'd be calling her like a hundred times a day if I couldn't get a ride over to her house, but our next official date was the Festival. I couldn't wait.

We got home and Julia gave no trouble when I put her to bed. She was full, happy and exhausted... kind of like me. I checked the clock; it was still relatively early, so I thought I'd call Kev with the news. He'd probably be as happy as I'd been to hear about Precious accepting my ring.

I dialed Kevin's number and listened as the phone rang.

And rang.

And rang.

And.... rang.

It struck me as odd. Surely there was someone there... my Aunt and Uncle rarely went out, and besides... who would be out that late on a holiday night? Everything was closed for the day... stores, theaters, the whole nine yards. Then, I realized that Kevin was probably visiting with friends or some relatives on his father's side. He was probably having the time of his life, debating on that extra piece of pumpkin pie.

I climbed back up the stairs into the room I shared with Julia, checked on her to make sure she was still asleep in her crib, then changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed.

The ringing of the phone brought me out of sleep the next morning. Glancing at the clock on my wall, I saw that it was well past ten. How on earth did I manage to sleep that long? I finally picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Brian, please don’t tell me I just woke you up.”

“KEVIN!” I shouted, bolting upright in bed. “Where are you? I tried to call you last night!”

“Calm down, boy!” I heard Kevin laugh. I heard a hissing noise when he finished, like he was in pain, but that had to be wrong. “How was your Thanksgiving?”

“Oh, it was awesome!” I replied, launching into the details of the evening. “All the adults absolutely adored Julia and snatched her away to load her with attention, which I totally expected. I gave Precious the promise ring, too.”

“You did?”

I grinned. “You bet! And we had our first kiss, too!” I added. “Well, our first two, but you know.”

“Brian that’s great.”

“Thanks. Hey, are you coming to the festival?”

There was a pause before Kevin answered. “No, I don’t think I’ll be going.”

“You won’t?” To say I was shocked would be understating it. Kevin never missed the festival. “Why not, Kevin?”

“I just don’t feel like going this year, Brian.”

“Not… oh, come on Kevin! Please, you’ve gotta come!” I begged. “I want you to meet Precious! You’ve never missed the festival! Please?”

“Well…”

If Kevin had been here with me, he would have gotten the puppy face. “Please, Kev?”

I heard Kevin sigh in resignation. “All right, Brian. I’ll go.”

I whooped. “Thanks Kevin! So I’ll see you in a few days then?”

“Yeah. See you then.”