- Text Size +

 

Kevin stood under the hot water, luxuriating in the sensation of the shower. For the first few minutes, he didn't move. He simply closed his eyes and reveled in the feeling.

He had been permitted no such amenity as a prisoner. The closest thing he'd experienced was being blasted by ice-cold water until his body was numbed during certain interrogation sessions. Sessions he'd rather forget... but doubted he ever would.

He pushed the memories back and, using a generous amount of soap, scrubbed himself from head to toe. By the time he'd finished, he realized half an hour had passed.

After toweling off, he reluctantly faced the mirror. His hair was far too long; he'd ask Aleta for some scissors, or find someone to trim it for him. And his beard... He almost didn't recognize himself. His face was thin, pale except where the bruises still colored the flesh. With the long hair, the unkempt beard and his general coloring he bore little resemblance to the man he'd been six months earlier.

He sighed. That man no longer existed. Months of deprivation, scant rations, and unbearable cycles of pain and torture had changed him forever. He wondered if he would ever be able to come to terms with who he now was.

He combed his hair and frowned at his beard. Normally he kept it neatly trimmed and shaped, but now he just looked disheveled. That was next on the list.

He dressed in the clothes that Aleta had gotten him; although the garb was casual and ordinary, it felt wonderful. For the first time in half a year, he was not wearing his tattered uniform. Finally, he was beginning to feel like he was free.

By the time another hour had passed, Kevin sat down on his bed, surprisingly tired. He'd gotten his hair cut and beard trimmed by one of the ship's talented groomers; the woman had been chatty and upbeat, and the time had flown by. He was pleased with the results... he'd begun to look human again. He had thanked her profusely, only to be told that the pleasure was hers... it was the least she could do for a true war hero.

Kevin didn't consider himself a hero. He was simply a survivor. Her remark had surprised him; he wondered if others had the same belief. Aleta had told him he'd better get used to it; already, people had been contacting her in hopes of getting to meet Captain Kevin Richardson, the only known prisoner to have survived the horrors of Enemy capture.

He yawned as he sat on the chair near Vosh's bedside. He gave a slight smile when he realized his tiredness was, for once, not due to physical exhaustion, weakness, or drugs. It came from being relaxed... a novel state.

Aleta had given him official permission to leave Sickbay, but he didn't want to go without Vosh. He would stay until she awakened; then, they could take up residence on the Parrin. He had missed his old ship; it was fitting that they would return home together.

He settled into the rather comfortable chair and regarded his companion. He had no way to judge how long her Sleep would be; it had always varied, and she wouldn't, or couldn't, explain it well enough to calculate duration. Like most things concerning Vosh, it was a mystery.

In a mere handful of minutes, he fell asleep, lost for once in a dreamless, peaceful void.

~*~

Rich Raines entered the ship's gym, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw the man he'd been seeking for the last half hour. He walked over to the bench and sat down, watching what looked like a cutthroat game of one-on-one. He'd never been a huge fan of basketball, but he could tell the two competitors were engaged in a very close game.

At first, it didn't seem likely that the players would be so evenly matched. Brian, the older and shorter man, should have been trounced by the much taller and younger Nick. But the Captain moved astonishingly quickly, faking his opponent out at every turn. Raines chuckled as he saw the gleam in Littrell's eyes... obviously, the man had a true passion for the game.

Nick let out an audible groan when Brian scored yet more points; he held up his hands in a time-out signal and attempted to catch his breath.

“Opting out so soon, Carter?” Brian teased. “I'm surprised you're ready to admit defeat already.”

“Yeah, well, I haven't gotten my proper sleep lately,” Nick said. “And I missed a meal-”

“Excuses,” Brian said, tossing the ball in for one last basket. “Always excuses.”

“You might have won,” he said, “this time. After all, even I know it's not smart to beat your commanding officer too many times at too many things.” He smiled widely.

Brian rolled his eyes. “Like you let me win,” he said. “You pulled out all the stops, and I still walked all over you.”

“Whatever you say, sir,” Nick answered, giving a mock salute. “Hey, Rich... how goes?”

“That was some game,” Raines said, standing. “Do you two always play like that?”

“What, me winning and him losing? Yeah,” Brian answered, ducking the towel that Nick launched in his direction.

Raines laughed. “You all seem very close,” he said. “We don't have much of a relaxed atmosphere here.”

“No doubt,” Brian said. “Speaking of Miles, any word on the apology yet?”

Raines cleared his throat. “Actually, that's what I'm here for. I think. I have a note for you, from the Captain. I was to deliver it ASAP.” He held out a folded white paper.

Brian took the note and read the message inside. “Interesting,” he said, after looking over it one more time. “There's going to be an official gathering tomorrow morning, and we're all to meet in the main assembly room. Dress uniforms, the whole nine yards.” He looked at Rich. “It doesn't say what it's about though.”

“Scuttlebutt says it's going to be a ceremony to honor Captain Richardson, and that there's going to be some kind of announcement made.”

“Better be an apology,” Brian muttered. “Kevin is still mad at him.”

“I heard he decked Miles,” Rich said in a low voice. “I wish I had been there to witness it.”

“It was awesome,” Nick interjected. “I mean, not the part where he said those terrible things about Kevin and Vosh, but when Kevin just laid him flat. One perfect hit to the jaw, and down he went!”

“As your commanding officer, I should reprimand you for saying that,” Brian said. “But in reality, I agree with you one hundred percent. Miles had it coming.”

“I've never known the Captain to apologize for anything, but with Richardson being a war hero and all... let's just say I'll be listening with both ears tomorrow.”

“Well, Nick, better dig out your dress blues,” Brian said. “And Rich... I have a favor to ask, if I may.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“I need to take a quick trip over to the Parrin. There's something there I need to take out of storage.”

“I'll shuttle you there myself,” Rich said. “Just say the word when you're ready.”

~*~

Aleta read by the soft glow of her report display; the rest of Sickbay had been darkened in consideration of the two patients sleeping beyond the doorway. Taking a break, she leaned back and allowed a slight smile to curve her lips. Kevin had benefited greatly from his shower and change of clothes; she'd managed to gather a plain uniform in his size, although she didn't like the weight loss that was evident once he'd donned the garb. Still, even after all he'd been through, Kevin Richardson was an undeniably handsome man. It was too bad that he hadn't wanted a relationship with her years ago when she'd offered; wisely, they had decided to simply remain friends.

She turned her thoughts to Vosh. Obviously the woman was devoted to Kevin, and vice versa; the question was how deep and in which direction did that dedication run. He'd gotten infuriated with Miles' innuendo earlier; surely there was something behind that emotional outburst other than plain offense. She wondered what Kevin would do when he learned that Vosh had been assaulted by someone in the prison cell. Aleta hoped it wouldn't be up to her to reveal that particular truth.

Thinking along those lines, the doctor decided that once Vosh was awake and aware, she would insist on a thorough physical exam. Vosh might be able to heal others, but she, herself, looked less than healthy. From what Aleta could see, the woman was far too thin to begin with. The Sickbay scrubs she'd provided the petite alien practically swam on her frame. The doctor had nothing to else to give her to wear, however. Then an idea occurred.

A quick body profile search gave her the answers she needed a few minutes later. There were five women on board the Sealk that roughly matched Vosh's size. Two were unfamiliar to Aleta, but she knew the other three personally. A check of duty status revealed one, Erin Avar, was currently off duty. Aleta put in a non-critical summons through to her private comm link. She was pleased at the rapid response less than half a minute later; Ensign Avar was on her way.

Erin arrived with a curious expression. Aleta put her at ease right away, motioning for the young woman to sit down in the chair opposite hers.

“Thanks for coming down so quickly,” the doctor said. “I hope I didn't alarm you.”

“No, ma'am, I was just writing a few letters and such when you called. What's up?”

“Well, I have an unusual favor to ask. This is strictly a personal thing, so feel free to say no.”

“What is it?” Erin asked.

“I'm sure you are aware of Captain Richardson's rather astonishing return.”

“Yes, ma'am,” the ensign said. She leaned forward. “Is he still here? In Sickbay, I mean?”

“Right beyond that doorway,” Aleta smiled. “He's sleeping at the moment, otherwise I'd introduce you.”

The woman blushed. “Oh, I wouldn't know what to say,” she said, ducking her head. “I mean, he's such a hero and all.”

Aleta shook her head. “He doesn't see it that way. And I've known him for a long time, he's really a very nice guy. Easy to talk to, you know?”

Erin gave a shrug.

“Anyway, the favor. Were you aware of the other occupant of the escape pod?”

“I heard there was one of the Enemy on board, but that Captain Miles had her locked up right away.”

“The Captain was mistaken,” Aleta said. “She wasn't the Enemy; as a matter of fact, she saved Captain Richardson's life by getting them both to the pod before the O'mosk blew.”

“Really?”

“Confirmed by Richardson himself. The alien's name is V'sh, or Vosh. She doesn't really speak a lot, and we're not sure how much of our language she understands. The reason Captain Miles was mistaken about her at first was probably because she was wearing an Enemy jumpsuit. It seems she has no clothes of her own.” Aleta paused. “And that's where you might come in, if you're willing. She's small, petite like you are. I gave her the smallest size scrubs I had in stock, and it's just too big, not to mention only fit to wear in Sickbay. I was wondering if you'd be able to donate something for her to wear.”

Erin's expression lightened. “Is that all? Well, sure, of course I will. I won't need anything but uniforms from now until we get home. It seems like the least I could do for someone who saved Captain Richardson's life.”

“Thank you so much,” Aleta said, smiling. “It's really very generous of you. Just what you can spare; I'm sure we'll get her some more clothes once we arrive planetside.” She stood. “This will mean a lot to her, I think. And I know Captain Richardson will be grateful.”

The young ensign blushed once again and stood as well. “I'm glad I could help,” she said shyly. “I'll collect some things and be back before my duty shift.”

“Thanks, Erin. We owe you one.”

With a quick glance towards the doorway, the woman said goodbye and left on her mission.

~*~

She woke cautiously. She didn't open her eyes; rather, she listened to the sounds around her and tried to get a feel for her surroundings. Memory rushed back: she had healed K'vn, given him energy. That was good.

She'd gone into Sleep afterwards, but now she was no longer on the floor. The air smelled like the healing room, where L'ta worked. The soft fabric under her hand felt like the white material of her bedding, earlier. Now, she knew where she was.

Sounds were soft, muted. She heard the strange beeps and hums of machines around her, but there were no voices, no footsteps. There was, however, a slight sound of breathing... even and steady, the rhythm familiar. Satisfied that it was safe to open her eyes, she did so, only to find K'vn next to her in a chair. Despite her self-discipline, she found herself inhaling sharply as she beheld him.

His hair... it had been cut! And his beard had been tended to as well. He was in fitted clothes, not the healer's issue. His face was relaxed in a way she'd never seen, not even when he'd been driven to deep unconsciousness. It was as if she were looking at a stranger.

She sat up silently, gazing at his transformation with wonder. It was a good change, one she approved of. Surely he wanted to put all reminders of his imprisonment behind him, starting with his physical appearance. At that thought, she paused.

K'vn was with his people now. They would now care for him, help him to heal inside. He was headed home, where he belonged. Where he needed to be.

Where she could never go.

She had lost Home long before her imprisonment on the Enemy ship; even the memories had faded and paled over time. Once again she was helpless, choiceless, to direct her journey. And while she would go willingly with K'vn, she knew she didn't belong with him. She would never be a part of his home.

But how could she live as one of the Lost? Her heart told her she'd long outlasted her people, her world. She had been ready to die, had wanted to join her loved ones, but that fate had been denied her. Now she was heading for a strange place, to live among people she didn't know or understand. She would forever be apart.

Grief wrenched her chest; at least on the Enemy ship, she had her plans and duties. But that was no more. Although she was happy that K'vn had escaped, she still regretted having to accompany him. What was her future, truly?

She reached out and touched his now-soft hair, knowing that she was no longer the only one to care for him. She had saved him, but at a bitter cost. The loneliness swelled, nearly pushing her to tears. But she didn't cry; no, tears were for the before times. She had shed more than her share, then.

She sat back, swallowing against the strong emotions. Suddenly, a slight sound came from the doorway: it was L'ta. The healer approached slowly, offering a smile and a few gentle words. She returned the greeting with an even gaze; it was the best she could do. Then K'vn stirred, and the healer's attention went to him. As she had done countless times, she waited for him open his leaf-colored eyes. For the first time, she saw a true smile cross his face when he woke.

It was beautiful.

~*~

“Hi there,” Aleta said, returning Kevin's smile. “How are you feeling?”

He rubbed at his neck. “I guess I should have picked a better spot to fall asleep,” he said.

“You looked pretty relaxed, I hated to wake you.”

“I wanted to watch over-” He belatedly realized another pair of eyes were on him. “Vosh!”

The woman gave a short nod.

“If I had known you were going to heal my hand, I would have-”

His sentence was interrupted by a curt gesture of dismissal. Aleta grinned; she didn't need to wonder what Vosh had said.

“I have never met someone as stubborn as you,” he declared, softening the statement with a smile.

Vosh arched an eyebrow and made a brief motion.

Kevin laughed. “Well, I suppose some people would agree with that. I have been known to be a bit unyielding at times.”

“She knows you pretty well,” Aleta said. “Now that you're both awake, do you think you can convince her to let me give her a real exam?”

“Is it necessary?” he asked. “Because I don't think it will be easy to get her to agree.”

Aleta hesitated. She was most interested in assessing the damage the prison cell assault had brought on, but she loathed telling Kevin what had happened.

“I think it is,” she said. “I was able to give you the stamp of approval, I'd like to do the same for her. Then you both can get out of my hair.”

“I'll try,” he said. He faced the woman and paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to say what he needed to.

Slowly, he began, using simple signs along with words. Vosh frowned, and he tried to explain it again. Her frown deepened.

He began another series of gestures, but her hand flew out and stopped him. She made a few elaborate signs and looked at him expectantly, the frown still in place.

“I guess that means no,” Aleta said.

“Apparently she understood exactly what I was saying, that's not the problem. She's refusing, and I don't think she's going to cooperate, period. She said there's no reason for it, she's healed.”

Aleta sighed. The refusal was not unexpected. “All right, but we'll keep an eye on her, just in case.”

“Excuse me, Dr. Simpson,” came a tentative voice from the edge of the room.

“Erin, please come in,” she said, gesturing to the young woman.

The ensign hesitated, but did as requested. She kept her gaze on the doctor although a blush began coloring her cheeks. “Here's the things I brought, ma'am,” she said, holding out a bundle.

Aleta smiled. Had she ever been that young and shy? “Captain Kevin Richardson, I'd like you to meet Ensign Erin Avar. She's generously volunteered to do us a favor.”

Kevin gave her a nod and held out his hand. “Hello, Erin.”

She blinked and regarded his outstretched hand for a moment, as if unsure what to do. Then she quickly shook it, pulling back as it afraid to really touch him. “Hi, sir,” she managed to mumble.

“Now, Erin, don't be shy,” Aleta said. “Really, he won't bite.”

Kevin's lips curved into a slight grin. “Honestly, I'm harmless,” he said. “What kind of favor is it, anyway?”

When Erin hesitated, Aleta came to the rescue. “Well, we are able to fit you with fairly suitable clothes, but Vosh is a bit small for what we have in stock. Since Erin here is about her size, she volunteered to donate some clothing for Vosh to wear.”

Erin watched as Kevin's face lit up with a smile. “That's wonderful!” he exclaimed. “It's been so long since-” He turned to Vosh and made a few simple signs.

Vosh looked from him to Erin, then back again. The puzzlement on her face was plain.

“A gift for you,” Kevin said aloud as he repeated the signs. “Clothes. Ensign Avar has brought them for you, to wear. To keep.”

Vosh's brow furrowed, and she looked back to Erin. When she didn't reach out for the bundle, Erin felt compelled to speak.

“I know they're not very fancy,” she said. “But they're sure better than what you've got on. Please, accept them.” She held out the clothing. When the alien didn't take them, she looked a question at Kevin, her earlier shyness gone for the moment.

“I don't know,” Kevin said, answering out loud. “Vosh?”

After several heartbeats, Vosh turned back to Kevin. With great care, she signed slowly.

“No, it's a gift,” he said in answer. Again she signed.

His face darkened as he realized what the problem was. “No exchange,” he said with a curt gesture. “It's a gift.”

The frank doubt on her face made him close his eyes for a moment. “Oh, Vosh,” he whispered painfully, rubbing his forehead with his fingers.

Erin, with a slightly hurt expression, lowered her offering. “I'm sorry,” she said. “I guess these aren't right...”

“No,” Kevin said at once, holding up a hand. “They're right, they're perfect. It's not the clothes, it's...” He struggled for words. “We were never given anything on the Ship. Everything had to be... negotiated. If we wanted anything we didn't have, we had to offer something in exchange for it.” He swallowed with difficulty. “From me, they wanted information. I never gave them that. But for Vosh, it-” He stopped. The two women kept their silence while he regained his mental balance. “I was never able to find out how long Vosh had been on the Ship. But I think it's been a very, very long time since she's been given a gift with no strings attached.”

Aleta was horrified at the implications. She hadn't thought too much as to what life as a prisoner might have been; she'd been too interested in their physical health up until now. But this... She shot a glance at Erin, hoping that the younger woman hadn't made the grim connections. But from the expression on the ensign's face, she realized she just might have.

“Then it's about time she got one,” Erin said. Her voice was shaky but her eyes held a determined light.

She approached Vosh, who had watched the entire exchange with puzzled intensity. “A gift,” she said, presenting the bundle. “Free. Please, take it.”

Vosh studied the woman's eyes for a long, suspended moment. Then she gave a questioning look to Kevin.

“It's okay,” he whispered.

Vosh turned back and, after a pause, reached a hand out to touch the fabric on the top article of the bundle. Still, she hesitated.

Drawing in a deep breath, Vosh shut her eyes for a second and then opened them. “K'vn,” she croaked, pointing to him. It was obvious that the effort brought a measure of pain. “L'ta,” she continued, indicating the doctor. “V'sh,” she rasped, tapping herself on her chest.

Erin understood. Pointing to herself, she said, “Erin.”

“Er'n,” Vosh echoed awkwardly.

The young woman smiled and nodded. Then, and only then, did Vosh reach for the bundle. When Erin detected a lingering trace of uncertainty, she said, “Why don't you try them on to see if they fit?”

Kevin made the appropriate signs when Vosh looked his way. The alien seemed to consider something, and made a brief gesture back.

A bit of light crept back into Kevin's eyes. “I'm sure she will,” he answered her. He then spoke to Erin. “She said she would like you to help.”

A relieved look swept over Erin's face and the woman nodded. “Sure, come on, we can find some privacy and get rid of those ugly Sickbay clothes,” she said. “Uh, no offense, doc...”

“None taken,” Aleta said. “Use one of the exam rooms.”

“Be back in a minute,” Erin said, leading Vosh away.

Once they were gone, Kevin sat down and let out a heavy sigh. He didn't speak, and Aleta didn't know quite what to say. The silence grew awkward after a minute's lapse. The interruption came at the perfect time.

“Knock, knock,” came a familiar voice.

“Brian, hey,” Kevin said, glad to see his friend.

“Brought you something you're going to need,” the blond said, wiggling a box he was carrying.

“Oh?”

“Yeah,” Brian said. “Did you hear about the ceremony tomorrow morning?”

“What ceremony?” he asked.

“Details are sketchy, but here's the note Miles had delivered to me a while ago.” He handed over a crumpled piece of paper to the older man.

Kevin scowl increased as he read the brief missive. “And what's this ceremony all about?”

“I'm betting it's the closest thing to a public apology you're going to get,” Brian answered.

“Well, I didn't get an invite, and even if I did, I wouldn't go-”

“I can get Howie down here to convince you otherwise,” Brian said with a smile. “You know he can talk you into anything. Besides, it might be the perfect chance for you to put Miles in his place.”

“If I never see that bas-”

“Kevin,” Aleta interrupted, “please reconsider. I, for one, want to see Miles try and turn his major mistake around. It ought to be good for the amusement factor alone. And it'll give you a chance to speak up... everyone's been waiting for you to make some kind of statement anyway.”

He ran a hand through his hair. “I'm not one to make speeches.”

“You'll be able to set the record straight about Vosh, at the very least,” Brian stated.

That was the final deciding factor. Reluctantly, Kevin nodded. “All right, but just a warning... if he ticks me off, I don't have any qualms about decking him, official ceremony or not.”

“No one would lift a finger to stop you,” Brian assured him. “So, to that end... here.” He handed over the box.

“What is it?”

“It's a box. Open it,” Brian said, rolling his eyes. He got the grin he was looking for.

Kevin lifted the lid and simply stared. He looked up and spoke in a whisper. “It's my-”

“Your uniform,” Brian finished, his voice serious now.

“But how?”

“I kept it,” came the simple statement. “After your... well, after the report of the crash, I just couldn't believe you wouldn't be coming back. So I just stowed it away. I guess I was right after all, huh?”

Kevin was deeply touched by the gesture. He had been so sure, during those long months in prison, that he'd been forgotten by everyone. The Enemy had continually emphasized the fact that he'd been abandoned, that loyalty was useless, that no one cared about-

“Kev?” Brian asked softly.

Kevin sniffed, dismayed to find wetness gathering in his eyes. “Yeah, sorry. I just... I didn't expect this.”

“Welcome back, Captain,” Brian said.

Swallowing against the lump in his throat, Kevin did the unexpected and gave the younger man a quick, heartfelt hug. “Thanks,” he managed.

After a moment, a spark arose in Brian's blue eyes. “Now all you have to do is tell Miles where to go and how to get there, and you can be back where you belong... with us, on the Parrin.”

“There's nothing I'd like more,” Kevin said wholeheartedly.

~*~

“No,” Erin said with a smile. “That goes in the back. Here... see?”

Vosh studied the fastening and watched as the other woman demonstrated.

“Got it?”

Yes, came the nod. Then an eyebrow raised in question.

“Why?” Erin guessed. “Well, it's so you don't... jiggle.”

After a long moment, Vosh made a wiggling motion and pointed.

“Exactly,” Erin said, relieved that Vosh had understood. “Now, I brought two pairs of leggings, pretty much the same. Which do you like? Which color, blue or black?”

Vosh reached out and touched the soft fabric of each. Teacher blue? Fighter black? I am neither. But again, colors do not mean the same in this place. A slight shiver went through her. Nothing is the same.

Unable to bring herself to choose the black... she'd hated every moment of fighting she'd endured... she chose the blue.

Erin nodded in approval, then held out several more items. “You can layer these if you want. Sometimes it gets too cool, and I about freeze on this ship. Once we get home, you'll need other things I don't have here, but for the trip it should be good.”

A nod told her that Vosh had understood at least part of it. Giving the alien a bit of privacy, Erin turned her gaze to the floor and- not knowing if her words were making any sense- kept up a light conversation, mostly ship gossip and plans for what she'd like to do once home. A touch on her arm made her re-focus, and she smiled.

“You look great!” Erin said. “Hmm, better than I do in them, I think.” She gave the woman a critical gaze. “Only thing left is maybe to get your hair trimmed.”

Vosh reached up and touched her hair, looking a question at her.

“Yeah,” Erin said. “You did understand what I said... didn't you?”

Vosh nodded.

“Captain Richardson must have taught you a lot, then,” she said. “He's pretty amazing, don't you think?”

It took me dozens of cycles to teach K'vn how to communicate, she thought with a slight bit of amusement. I see the spark in this young one's eyes, hear it in her words. He is a hero to her... as he should be. I would not dare dim that light.

Vosh nodded firmly.

“And gosh, so handsome! I mean, he's just got the most awesome eyes, you know? Oh, and that voice...”

A tiny gleam came to Vosh's eyes as she listened. How long has it been since I have heard the passion that only the young can generate? She has fought in this war, yet her innocence not been tainted. It is good to know those such as she have survived to carry on.

“...but you know all that,” Erin finished, blushing a bit. “I'm prattling on and I'm sure you are eager to get back to everyone. Come on.”

Together they left the room.

~*~