- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy this chapter!!!
Nick sat in the driveway, looking up at his mother's house with a sinking feeling in his stomach. He knew he was walking right into a possible trap, he knew very well this could be the worst mistake he could make....but Nick didn't care. His daughter, his and Amanda's....was inside of this house. He worried if she was okay....if she was hurt or scared and it killed him to know his mother had her. The woman that had tried to kill him by starvation at 15, the woman that had broken his arm and beaten him senseless...she had Celine. His blood boiled at the thought. 

"It's now or never. This is no time to be a chicken shit." Nick coached himself as he got out of the car. His body was trembling as he went up the porch steps....it didn't seem anyone was home. The house was dark, or so it appeared to be. With each step he took he felt the fear rising to the surface, the fear he had locked away so many years ago. What did he have to be afraid of? Nick knew how to defend himself now, and he knew he could get help if he needed it. Unfortunately, he was far from home and didn't tell anyone where he was going. He went into the house using a window he found open and stepped inside, there were boxes. countless boxes as if someone was preparing to move. 

"Daddy?" 

Nick's heart nearly stopped when he heard her voice. How did she know he was there? 

"Yes, baby...." he said softly. He found her without much trouble, sitting in a playpen in the living room. There was no furniture around, unlike last time he had been here. Nick smiled at his daughter and bent down to pick her up as she reached up for him. He held her and kissed her face as she smiled, her small arms wrapped around his neck. 

"I got you sweetheart. Let's go home." he whispered. He turned around but stopped when he saw Jane.

"Stop right there. You really thought it would be that easy to waltz in here and take my daughter?" she said coldly without emotion. 

"Your daughter? Celine belongs to me and my wife. How dare you?" Nick asked. He felt Celine trembling and all he wanted to do was get her home, he knew how frightened she was. It was then he was reminded Celine was never in danger, Jane Carter wanted a girl......he was only abused because was a boy.

"Put her down now or I will call the police and have you removed." Jane said sternly. Nick held Celine closer, her face buried in his shoulder.

"No, Daddy." she begged. 

"You do realize if you do that they'll arrest you and not me? Let us go." Nick said, his feet planted firnly in front of the playpen. Jane cackled.....just cackled at him. Laughed as if he told the most hilarious joke she'd ever heard. It was then that Nick's eyes widened.....she had a gun. She held the gun as if it was second nature to her, and Celine was practically choking him....she started to cry. Nick tried to sush her as Jane walked over to them. She pressed the gun against his temple, Nick gasping. 

"Please don't hurt her. You can do whatever you want to me but don't hurt her." he begged. 

"Then put my daughter down and step away from the playpen or I will shoot you." 

Nick nodded and kissed Celine on the forehead, her tear filled eyes looking up at him. 

"I'm so sorry baby." he whispered. 

"NO DADDY." she protested. He managed to pry her off of him and set her down before Jane struck him, hitting him across the head. He fell, Celine crying out as she watched her father being hit. 

"Daddy is okay, baby girl." he reassured her. 

"Get away from her." Jane shouted. She held the gun up again. Nick refused to move so she kicked him hard in the side, knocking the wind out of him swiftly. Nick wheezed a bit, his breath catching in his throat, but moved as his mother advanced on him. 

"Please don't hurt me in front of Celine...she doesn't need to see that." he begged, looking up at her. Jane stared hard and just laughed again.

"It will show her that I am in charge."

Nick fished in his pocket for his phone but his pockets were empty, having left it in the car. All he could think about was getting hold of Brian. Jane neared him, cocking the gun....Nick closed his eyes.....

"DROP THE WEAPON!!!"

Nick's eyes snapped open and he saw Brian standing in the doorway, holding his own gun up.

"I said, DROP THE WEAPON!!!" he shouted again. Jane lunged forward and grabbed Nick, holding him as a shield in front of her. Celine was crying in the playpen.

"Bri....Brian.....please..." Nick begged shakily, feeling the cold gun barrel against his face again.

"I told you to drop the fucking weapon, Jane. Put him down...NOW." Brian demanded. He meant business, his face twisted with rage.

Nick was shaking, struggling to get free from his mother's grip but he felt helpless.

"Get Celine out of here...." Nick begged, crying. He didn't know what else to do.

"I'm not leaving you. Back away from him, Jane. I'm warning you." Brian said sternly. He aimed at Jane, who hid behind her human shield. Brian raised his weapon, she pressed further into his temple.

"Please, mom....you don't want to do this. You said you wanted to be a family....you..."

She hit him across the face.

"You've always been a fool, Nickolas. Gullible and foolish. I got what I wanted and now I have no more use for you." she said as he blinked through tears. Why couldn't he move? He was stronger than her, but he stayed still.

"Let him go!!!"

Brian knew Nick didn't have much time left if this continued, he watched carefully and aimed, his hands trembling slightly. Sweat dripped down his face as he pulled the trigger....the shot ringing out....


"NO!!!!"


Brian didn't want to open his eyes to see the result.