- Text Size +

Chapter 11 Tickets To Go To Madison Square Garden

***Kalie’s Point of View***

Pure tension between Ryan and my best friends grew rapidly. At least my siblings put up with my boyfriend because he and I went to colleges that were ten minutes away from each other so we would alternate between staying at the house my siblings and I shared and going back to his place.

Even though my siblings tolerated my boyfriend I could tell they hated him but I didn’t care because I loved him and he loved me back. Couldn’t anyone see that?

Kyle and Kasey were always on edge around him. They always had defensive looks on their faces and kept reminding me of how much they despised him. Kim and James moved out after they got married so my sister didn’t touch upon my relationship as much as my brothers did. She was being more like my friends who stayed away from the subject. Even my parents and grandparents couldn’t see that Ryan and I were in love. It was really starting to bother me that the most important people in my life couldn’t get along with the most important boyfriend.

My family wouldn’t allow him at any family functions after he supposedly flirted with my cousin Karen, who was Kim’s age, at one of the Smith family picnics. I didn’t think he was flirting but my family did. The Smith’s also didn’t appreciate all the public display of affection he was giving me. I even have to admit that he was being rude with the way he was showing his affection for me in front of my entire family. PDA was fine as long as it was holding hands or giving each other little kisses here and there but Ryan was constantly slipping his tongue down my throat and was ready to throw me down on a picnic table and take me right then and there with everyone watching. Then he did the unthinkable to the most respected Smith family member.         

“Ryan, could you please do us all a favor and get a hold of yourself? We all know you’re dating Kalie but please just be conscious that there are little kids around and that the rest of the family doesn’t want to see you get physical with their cousin, niece, sister, daughter and granddaughter,” my grandfather said calmly to him.

He looked my grandfather in the face and to my ears’ amazement and shock heard him say, “I don’t need to listen to you old man. Kalie’s my girlfriend and I can do whatever I want with her.”

Now my grandfather was a very patient and caring man who I have rarely seen lose his temper but whenever he did his ears would turn red and a vein on the top of his bald head would start pulsating. He was a short man too but he was very strong and could throw his weight around if he really needed to which made him intimidating. He was also a boxer in his day. My great uncles, Grandpa’s brothers, have told us kids stories about how they would play fight each other and Grandpa would simply over power his brothers who were all taller and younger than him.

After Ryan stupidly said that, Grandpa’s vein started pumping and his ears turned a bright, blood red, “GET OUT! LEAVE NOW! AND DON’T YOU EVER COME NEAR MY FAMILY AGAIN!”

Ryan chuckled and grabbed my wrist, “Let’s go babe. We can have more fun at my place.”

“Like hell I’m leaving my family! Go home and have fun by yourself! How dare you disrespect the patriarch of my family! How dare you disrespect my grandfather! He would have let you stay if you didn’t open your rude mouth and cut down on the PDA! What the fuck is with you?!”

“Come on! Let’s just go home Kay.”

“No! I’m not leaving my family!”

“Let’s go!"

“She said she’s not going with you! Let go of my daughter!” my dad ripped his hand off my wrist.

“You heard our grandfather,” Kyle stood face to face with Ryan. He said with gritted teeth, “Get out of here!” Kyle stood a good foot taller than Ryan and was also a lot more muscular; he took after Grandpa and became a boxer too. “I don’t see your feet moving. Maybe you need a little push then,” my brother pushed Ryan’s shoulders and he stumbled backwards but caught himself and walked angrily back to his car.

Once he was out of sight my father said to me, “Why are you dating him?”

“Daddy I don’t want to hear it. I hear it enough from my friends. I don’t know what I’m going to do because I love him.” I walked slowly over to my grandfather with my eyes to the ground. “Grandpa,” I said just loud enough for him to hear, “I’m so sorry.”

“Kalie Marie Smith. You don’t have to apologize for that jerk you call your boyfriend. He’s the one who should be apologizing.”

“Then I’ll talk to him and make him apol…”

“No Kalie. I don’t want an apology from him because I have a strong feeling deep in my gut that he won’t really mean it. Kalie you just need to make up your mind about him. But I don’t want him around our family. If you do decide to stay with him make time for your family without him. I don’t want to lose you but I don’t want him around our family.”

“I have to think about it Grandpa.”

“Come here and give me a hug. I love you Kalie and I’m just trying to keep you safe. We’re all just trying to keep you safe.”

“I know. I love you too.”

My friends and I also made a deal that we would all set aside one or two days a week so we could hang out with each other without Ryan. While we hung out Ryan hung out with his friends who I didn’t particularly like so at least that deal was mutual in a sense.

About a month after the episode with my family, Nick called me up when Michelle and Crystal were hanging out at my house.

“Hey Nick! What’s up bud?”

“Not much Kayl. The Boys and I are getting ready for the American leg of the Black and Blue tour. And I don’t really have a lot of time to talk but how would you like to go to a concert in Madison Square Garden?”

“Oh my god! I would love to! But how the hell am I going to get there?”

“Well I’ll get you guys round trip plane tickets and I’ll get you hotel rooms. Do you think the rest of our gang will be interested?”

“Hell yeah we are!” the girlies screamed. “And count in Dan and Chris.”

“You’re on speaker Nick,” I informed him.

“Oh ok then. I guess I’ll get five tickets.”

“Could you make it six please?”

“For who?”

“For Ryan.”

“Kalie really?”

“Yes Nick. I know you don’t like him but I want him there.”

“Alright fine. Now how many rooms do you want me to book for the hotel?”

“How about three?” I suggested.

“Why three?” Crystal asked.

“Well I figured one for me and Ryan, one for Mich and Chris and the other one for you and Dan. Maybe that will get the ball rolling between the two of you,” I said jokingly.

“Kalie,” Crystal said a little exasperated, “you know there is nothing between Dan and I besides friendship.”

“We know Tally,” Michelle piped in, “You and I can share a room and Dan and Chris could share the other one.”      

“Ok fine. I’ll book three rooms then,” he said with a hint of frustration in his voice.

“Nick I know you don’t want Ryan there but I do. Can’t you accept the fact that he is still my boyfriend?”

“Alright I’m sorry. But mark my words, if he mistreats you while you are in New York I don’t want to see him around you ever again.”

I didn’t reply.

“So how are we getting to and from the airport?” Crystal changed the subject.

“We’ll I’ll have a van waiting for you guys when you get off the plane in JFK. And it will take you to the hotel and to the concert.”

“You’re too much Nick!” Michelle exclaimed. “Can we pay for something?”

“No. I get the tickets for free, your backstage passes are free and my driver owes me a favor and said he doesn’t want to be paid for driving you guys. And to tell you the truth the hotel rooms are free also because five people from our road crew canceled last minute but the five rooms were already paid for. So I figured someone might as well use them. That way you’ll have a place to crash after the concert and you get to hang out with us the day after before you leave.”

“Good deal,” us girls said.

“Now we’ll just have to figure out how we’re getting to the airport then,” Crystal said.

“Well that’s for you to decide because I gotta go. I’ll see you guys in a few weeks. Love yas.”

“Love ya too Kaos,” we replied in unison then I hung up my cell phone.

Michelle called Chris and Crystal called Dan to tell them that we were going to New York. They loved the idea and were excited to see their best friend perform in Madison Square Garden. It took a little convincing but Ryan agreed to come with us.

A few weeks past and before we knew it our bags were packed and the six of us were waiting for the limo to take us to the airport.

The two and a half hour plane ride went smoothly and we only brought along carry on luggage so we didn’t have to wait at baggage claim. We found our driver Billy and were on our way to meet BSB at the hotel.

“You guys are finally here!” Nick smiled at us girls when we ambushed him to give him a big group hug.

“I still can’t believe you actually flew us out here for one concert!” Crystal commented.

“We’re so lucky to have you as a best friend,” Michelle added.

I added, “Mich is right. You are the best Nick.”

“I know,” he chuckled, “I try. Come on let’s get you guys checked in. Then wanna relax by the pool for a little while before we have to get ready for the show?”

“Sure. Where are the rest of the guys?” Dan asked.

“Already at the pool,” Nick answered. “I told them I’d bring you guys around before the show.”

He showed us into the lobby and we checked into our rooms. Ryan and I got a room on the first floor while BSB and the rest of my best friends got rooms on the third floor. We changed into our bathing suits quickly so we could have as much time as possible to hang out by the pool.

It still amazed me how happy the rest of the Boys were to see us again. I don’t know about the rest of the group but I would get the occasional call from each of the Backstreet Boys and I think with every time we hung out with each other we became closer friends. That day we also met the Backstreet Boys’ other halves; Kevin’s wife Kristen, Brian’s wife Leighanne, Howie’s girlfriend Leigh, and AJ’s girlfriend Rochelle. Pretty soon they became our good friends too.

“Oh look at the time. It’s already five. We have three hours until the show,” Kevin said. “We need to go shower then run to rehearsal.”

“You’re right Kev,” Brian agreed with his cousin. “We’ll see you guys in the audience.”

“And we’ll see you backstage,” AJ chipped in.

“See you guys later. Break a leg out there,” Dan said kindly.

“Thanks,” Howie answered. BSB left us and their wives and girlfriends chilling in the pool so they could get ready for their show. The rest of us stayed for about half an hour while we made plans to all go out to dinner in the hotel before heading to the Garden.