- Text Size +

Chapter 13 Take A Hint!

***Kalie’s Point Of View***

The concert was absolutely amazing! The show started off with Brian’s voice singing, “We’ve been through days of thunder,” and continued with the rest of Everyone. The lights flashed to the beat of the music and the Boys performed the choreography perfectly. I think my favorite part of the song was when the lights slowly dimmed when Nick echoed his part, “Turn the lights down low!”

I loved the concert especially because Black and Blue was my favorite album so far. I also loved how they sounded live. I was arguing with myself about the live versions of some songs being better than the recorded song.

About half way through the concert Ryan started texting someone nonstop and he wouldn’t tell me who it was. I figured it was one of his friends who he knew I disliked. So I just shrugged it off and had the time of my life taking in the concert.

“Kalie it’s one of our favorite songs!” Michelle exclaimed.

She was right. The band started to play the music for Get Another Boyfriend and Crystal and I joined in to Michelle’s excitement.

The Boys moved in defiant steps to the front center of the stage where we were.

BSB sang with strong, powerful voices and I thought I was hearing things. I knew the lyrics to the song by heart but that night I heard lyrics that weren’t sang on the recorded version.

This is what I heard,

“Get another boyfriend Backstreet ...

Check it Let's talk about one,
Kalie You gotta hear me out
Do you really want to be the last to know
what it's all about
Let's talk about who you say
Is the essence of your life
But he'll eat you up from inside slow
And then he doesn't wanna know
I'm tellin you he'll eat you up from inside
And then he doesn't wanna know

Listen, I mean it
There's nothing that he's worthy of
He's just another playa',
Playin in the name of love
I've seen enough, now this must come to an end
Get another Boyfriend

Let's talk about what,
He's done to become your number one
Or was it all the promises of diamonds,
pearls and party dresses that turned you on
I've seen it before (Take a hint!)
Anymore, free too,
You're through for sure
Just go get on with your life STOP!
Acting like you're giving up
I'm telling you, go get on with your life
Stop acting like you're givin’ up

Listen, I mean it
There's nothing that he's worthy of
He's just another playa',
Playin in the name of love
I've seen enough, now this must come to an end
(must come to an end)
Get another Boyfriend

[synthesized voicing saying "Why?" & "Get another Boyfriend"]
STOP”

The band paused for a minute and the Boys stood with their hands palm side up extended toward the audience. Did I really hear my name? I shook the thought from my head. But then again all five Backstreet Boys seemed to be staring at me as they sang the song. No. They couldn’t have said my name. And they are right in front of us so it would look like they would be staring in our direction.

The music started again with furry.   

“Hey Yeah ah
Hear me out, you must know what it's all about
he's just a playa in love this must come to an end
Get, another boyfriend

Listen, I mean it (I mean it)
There's nothing that he's worthy of
(ain't nothing that he's worthy of)
He's just another playa' ,
Playin in the name of love
I've seen enough, now this must come to an end
Get another , Get another, Get another Boyfriend”

By this part the Boys broke away from the choreography and danced however they wanted to. Nick started flipping out. He stomped his feet, spun around, ran toward the drums and banged his head with the beat. That’s Kaos for you, acting wild and crazy on stage. That’s how he got the nickname of Kaos.

“Listen, I mean it(hear me now)
There's nothing that he's worthy of
(you must know, what it's all about)
He's just another playa' ,
Playin in the name of love
(he's just a playa in love)
I've seen enough, now this must come to an end
(this must come to an end)
Get another Boyfriend, Get.....another boyfriend”

Nick took one last glance at me before he and the guys went back stage for their final costume change.

“They’re fucking singing about me!” Ryan hissed.

“No they’re not. Why would you say that?” I asked appalled.

“Yes they are Kalie! They even said your name in the beginning! I’m fucking leaving! How fucking dare they call me a player! Bye Kalie. I’m not staying at this fucking concert where these horrible singers lie about me in front of all these people. See you whenever you get back to the fucking hotel!” With that he stormed away from me before I could even try to calm him down.

So there I was standing without my boyfriend. Yeah I was with my friends but I was starting to feel alone. My friends tried to comfort me but for some reason I wouldn’t let them. Maybe I didn’t want to seem weak in front of the fans standing behind us or maybe I was tired of them always feeling sorry for me. It was then that I started to think about my future with Ryan. My eyes started to tear. I didn’t know what to do. I loved Ryan but…

My thoughts were interrupted when the boys came back on stage and Nick spoke into his microphone, “It’s time to go back a few years and slow it down a bit. But just a little bit. And we would like to dedicate this next song to a very special person in the audience tonight that we care a lot about. And we want to remind you that we’ll always be there for you.” He smiled in my direction. “I have a feeling you know who you are.”

Nick smoothly started singing All I Have To Give. He looked right at me as he did so. I was reminded of when he sang it to me after what happened to me and Dylan. He even smiled the same bright smile. I smiled back and felt a single tear run down my face.

I guess I let that single tear fall because I thought of what happened to me and Dylan and was guessing that was the way Ryan and I would break up. But the tear was somewhat happy too. This was the second time Nick sang that song directly to me after some stupid guy made me upset. And now all the Boys were singing one of my favorite songs to me. Even my best friends joined in. They made me feel so loved and cared about. Maybe I didn’t need Ryan to make me happy after all. I finally realized that my friends were going to be there for me no matter what.         

We stayed backstage for a few good hours. But towards the end of the night BSB brought up a subject that made me a little upset and started the gears in my head.

“So Kayl,” Nick said, “I saw Ryan walked out on you… like Dylan did.”

“Yeah,” Brian added, “Why was that Kalie?”

“He was being stupid. He said that Get Another Boyfriend was about him and I and that you guys even sang my name on stage and that you were all calling him a player.”

“That’s because we did,” Kevin said gently.

“What?” I asked in disbelieve.

“We sang that song for you tonight Kay,” Howie answered.

“Nick and I heard him talking on the phone with some other chick before the concert,” AJ commented.

“He’s cheating on you Kalie… again,” Nick spoke up. “He was setting up a date with her for tonight Kayl. She was probably the one he was texting all night.”

“You saw that huh?” I nearly whispered.

“We also saw how sad you were when he left,” Brian commented.

“Kalie is he really worth all of this sadness?” Howie asked.

“What do you mean?”

“We all see how he treats you honey,” Kevin said.

“You deserve so much better Kalie,” Nick placed his hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes, “Why can’t you see that?”

I didn’t know what to say.

“We’re only trying to help you out babe,” AJ grabbed my hand. “A caring, gentle, fun, sweet, beautiful girl like you deserves better, much better than that scum.”

I glanced at my best friends and they just nodded their heads. Then my eyes met those of the Backstreet Girls.

Leighanne said, “Once a cheater always a cheater sweetie.”

“There are so many other good guys out there Kay,” Rochelle said.

“You don’t have to live with a guy that will only break your heart over and over again,” Kristin piped in.

Leigh agreed and mimicked Howie’s question, “Everyone who has told you there are other fish in the sea are telling the truth. Is he really worth all this sadness?”

The only thing I could do was look at the ground. I couldn’t look at anyone standing in that room.

I finally breathed out, “I don’t know what to do. I love him.”

Kristin came over and hugged me. She whispered in my ear, “I know how you feel because I went through the same thing. I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with this one boyfriend but he cheated on me… more than once. But because I convinced myself that I loved him I believed him every time he apologized. He never really meant it though because he kept cheating on me. My friends kept telling me to dump him but I was in love with him. I finally realized that he was never going to change when I caught him in the act with one of his other girls. He broke my heart, he really did. I just pray that it doesn’t take that to make you realize that Ryan’s never going to change either. A girl like you doesn’t deserve to have her heart broken. And I found my true love in Kevin. Trust me, someday you’ll find your true love also.”

Well I guess who ever Kristin was praying to didn’t pay attention to her prayers that night because… well… just keep reading to find out.         

That night I climbed the stairs to the third floor by myself. Nick wanted to walk me to my room but I insisted on walking alone. I had a heavy issue on my mind I had to think about.

The hallway seemed to continue on forever as I journeyed to the last room which I shared with Ryan. I slipped the key in the door and opened it slowly so it wouldn’t make a noise incase my boyfriend was sleeping.

But he wasn’t sleeping. Oh he was far from sleeping. He was ripping off the clothes of some girl with long red hair and a supermodel’s body. The Boys were right. Ryan was cheating on me… again.

I just stood there with a dropped jaw until finally I cleared my throat and crossed my arms defiantly.

Ryan looked up from sucking on her over sized chest. His eyes went wide when he saw me standing there watching.

“Kalie!” he said with a surprised voice. “I can explain!”

I screamed back at him, “NO! FUCK YOU! WE’RE DONE! Your things will be packed when you get back to Florida. Have a nice fucking life with that whore.”

I grabbed my bag which was still packed and ran out of the room. He didn’t even try to run after me.

I ran through the hallways toward the elevator. I pressed the button for the floor where everyone else’s rooms were. I didn’t know where I was going. I knew I could have gone to any one’s room I wanted to but then I didn’t want to hear my friends say, “We told you so.”

I exited the elevator and started to walk the hall. I stopped in front of room 128. I looked down at the paper where I had written down everyone’s room numbers. 128 held Nick. I couldn’t face him, not tonight, not in the condition I was in.

The room next to it was 130, Michelle and Crystal’s. They would understand, I thought to myself.

I banged on the door and both of my girlies answered. Once I saw their faces I broke down in tears and whimpered, “You were all right! He is cheating on me! He’s with the other bitch right now! I should have trusted all of you!”

Michelle and Crystal pulled me and my bag into the room and just let me cry. They didn’t say, “We told you so,” like I thought they would. They just let me cry as they hugged me.