- Text Size +

                                        Chapter 15 The Perfect Idea For A Song

At first I thought Ryan was joking when he said that he was going to enroll in the police academy but he was serious. From the point where he signed up for the academy he became very busy. I started to feel that becoming a cop was more important to Ryan than I was to him. He would come home late from the academy and it seemed that his head was always clouded and he was in some other world. I don’t know why I stayed with him but I did. I guess I was thinking, no praying, that things would get better after he finished the police academy.

Luckily Nick got some time to come home and he stayed at my house for a good while. I guess he knew I was lonely but I was ecstatic he decided to stay with me.

I knew Nick had to be bored waiting around for me all day so I decided to ask him if he wanted to come to the dance studio with me. I choose a Friday to ask him because I usually had no classes on Fridays and I only taught two dance classes.

I got home from school and found Nick playing some video game. His eyes were glued to the screen but I broke his trance when I asked him, “Wanna come to the dance studio with me?”

“Sure but let me finish this game. I’m just about to beat my high score for the 10th time.”

I stood in front of the tv and placed my hands on my hips. “The 10th time… seriously? Come on lets go. I only have two classes to teach today so I can show you a few moves if you like.”

“Alright I’ll go to the studio with you if you’ll play this game with me after dinner.”

“Deal. Now come on I don’t want to be late.”

We got to the studio before anyone else did so I taught him a few basic moves and some of the routines I was going to teach my students. It was a lot of fun teaching Nick. He was a quick learner and seemed to be very interested in learning what I was showing him.

“I should have brought you here a long time ago bud. You’re really good! You could be a professional ballroom dancer if you stick with me Carter.”

“Why thank you. And I’ll have to stick around now that you’ve said that,” he chuckled and I joined in.

My first class arrived shortly after and I continued with my working day.

***Nick’s Point Of View***

I watched these little 5 to 7 year olds learn an entire routine in about 45 minutes. I was amazed that they learned the entire thing in that short amount of time. Grant it the routine wasn’t perfect but still it was like they knew the dance forward and back. All they had to do was tweak a few moves and they would be ready to show it off.

I was impressed by those little kids but Kalie’s class of 13-15 year olds were amazing! She taught them the same routine she taught me earlier and those teenagers showed me up! They learned the moves in half the time that I did and they had a lot more balance than I did. I was tripping all over myself when I tried out the ball room moves. These teens were so graceful and poised it was unbelievable!

But of course my breath was taken away when Kalie danced with Mark. He showed up to help her with the older kids. They danced the entire routine after they taught the kids so their students could see the routine in entirety.

I’m sure it was an easy routine for Kalie and Mark but it took my breath away. As I watched Kalie dance the perfect idea for a song popped into my head. I searched in my pockets and miraculously found a pen and paper and jotted down the lyrics that were running through my brain.            

Kalie interrupted my song writing by asking, “So Nick, what do you think of my students?”

I looked up from my frantic writing to see the faces of her ten students staring at me waiting for my answer.

“You guys are awesome!” I replied. “And no joke guys, Kalie taught me your routine before you came today and you totally showed me up! You all look like pros compared to me!”

They all smiled widely and thanked me graciously for my kind words. I smiled at how happy I made them and I also smiled at Kalie’s bright grin she wore on her face. She was so proud of those kids and imagined how much she loved to teach them.

The students were dismissed and Kalie broke my writing trace again to inform me that we were leaving.

“So were you really that impressed by my students?”

“Oh hell yes! Their frigging awesome Kayl! They’re a lot better than I am.”

“Well that was only your first day of ball room dancing when they have been dancing for years.”

“That and they have been taught by the best dancer I know.”

She looked up at me and blushed a little bit as she smiled.

“Thanks Nick.”

“It’s the truth.” She giggled then jumped into the driver’s seat of her car.

“So what were you viscously writing there Kaos?”

“A song. I’m actually kind of stuck. Think you can help me?”

“When we get back to the house I’ll gladly help you.”

Once we got back to the house I handed Kalie the paper I was writing on and we sat down at the kitchen table together.

“Girl I saw you dancing,” she read aloud from the paper, “I’m looking like trash/But yet you’re glancing/ I said hello I’m a rock star/She said I don’t care who you are/Just take me with you/And I will blow your mind/This girl was crazy/Completely out of line/But how she amazed me/Ya should've seen her grind/I guess she blew my mind/So we've gone past dating”

She nodded her head, “I like it. So far so good. What are you going to use for the chorus?”

“Um from this girl to I guess she blew my mind. Got any ideas?”      

“Yes I do. Hand me that pencil please. Let’s see how we can finish this up.”

She wrote down, “She’s spending my cash/And I’m up waiting.”

“I like that. Keep going.”

“I said baby why the new car/She said I’m the girlfriend of a star/Just lend me half of this/And I will blow your mind. Then I think you should repeat the chorus again. Is that long enough?”

“Not really. Let me see the paper and pencil. How about “You should have seen her grind/I guess she blew my mind/ So typically me”?”

“Ok. I have more ideas,” she ripped the paper from my hands and wrote down more.

“Always falling for the easy/And now I can’t breathe.”

“I like that a lot! I think we can repeat that.”

She wrote down more, “So typically me/Always falling for the easy/And when you can’t see/She’s gunna blow your mind/Chorus.” She looked at the paper and nodded. “I think it’s pretty good. What do you think?”

I took the paper from her and read it over, “Kay… I think we have an awesome song in our hands right here!” I leaned over and kissed her forehead. “Thank you! You were always good at creative writing.”

“I better be. I took it all four years of high school,” she laughed. “Do you have music for it yet?”

“I do actually. I was just trying to get the lyrics down but now I don’t have to worry about it! This is definitely going on the album!”

She laughed at how excited I was getting. I jumped up and down and did a funny little dance I always did to make her laugh. I started singing, “We wrote a song! We wrote a song! We wrote a song!”

She got up from the couch and started to dance and sing with me. I kept changing my voice and Kalie couldn’t help but laugh. I would sing low, then high, when she thought my voice couldn’t get any higher I would raise it a few notes. She laughed until she started to tear and I had no choice but laugh with her.   

The only thing I could think about was how easy it was for Kalie and me to be ourselves around each other. I probably wouldn’t do something like this with anybody else besides her. Just that little incident made me think that I just wasn’t crushing on her. Was I actually falling for my best friend?

As we celebrated my cell phone rang. It was the director I was working with for my upcoming music videos.

“Have you found an actress for the video yet?”

“I did… but I didn’t ask her. But she’ll most likely say yes.”

“Alright Nick I’ll see you on Saturday to shoot I Got You. Your actress better say yes.”

“Don’t worry. She’ll say yes. See ya.”

“Who was that Nick?”Kalie asked me.

“The director.” She looked at me with a confused look on her face. “Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that I’m shooting two music videos. Did I let you listen to Help Me and I Got You?”

“Yes you did. And you also gave me the sheet music to both of them and I know them by heart. I also know Do I Have To Cry For You.”

“Oh I forgot I gave you all of that. How’d you like to be in the video for I Got You?”

“I’d love to! When do we shoot?”

“This weekend.”

“Ok I’ve got nothing going on. Do you have the script for it?”

I fished for it in my guitar case and pulled out the folded script. “Here it is.”

She looked at it and chuckled, “This script is in perfect condition here Kaos.”

I nodded my head. “That’s were all my important papers go.”

She glanced at the script and nodded her approval, “Oh good I don’t have to remember any lines. You’ve got yourself an actress bud.”

“Awesome!”