- Text Size +

Chapter 16 You Are Going To Be The Envy Of A Lot Of Girls

***Kalie’s Point of View***

The morning of the video shoot Nick excitedly woke me up. He ran into my room and jumped on my bed. He shook my shoulders and exclaimed, “Kayl! Kayl! Kayl! We got to get going! We’re going to shoot I Got You today! Come on! Get up! We have to go!”

I grabbed my pillow and started beating him with it. “Nick I get it! I’m up!”

He grabbed another pillow and sat on top of me. He sat on my stomach and whacked me with the pillow.

“Nick you’re going to squish me! Get off! I’m up!” I said laughing.

“Are you sure you’re up?”

“Yes I’m sure!”

“I just want to make sure,” his fingers flew to my sides and tickled me.

“NO! NICK! STOP! I’M UP I’M UP!” I was laughing so hard that I was crying.

“Ok. You’re up.” He laughed at me and got off my stomach. I threw the pillow I was holding and it hit him square in the back of the head.

“So where is the video set?”

“A dock with boats.”

“Which dock? We live in Florida. There are too many docks to even count.”

“The one were the Carter boat is.”

“Oh cool. How long do you think it will take to shoot the video?”

“We could get it all finished by today if we get there at a reasonable time. That’s way I woke you up early.”

Nick pulled into the dockyard and my jaw dropped. The set was perfect! The sand was white, the water was crystal clear, and there was not a single cloud in the sky.

“You ready to go shoot a video Kay?”

“Am I ever! What do we do first?”

“I’ll introduce you to the director and he’ll tell you what to do. But first I think you should go change into your bathing suit and throw the jeans and the shirt you have on now over it.”

The director was very nice and it was awesome working with him because he knew how he wanted the video to look and the video shoot went very well.

I listened to the director’s every word and did exactly what he said. I got a lot of, “Cut! Perfect! Print that! Next scene,” from him. Nick was the one who had to redo scenes over and over again.

“Ok guys let’s do the scene where you two are together in the water before the sun starts to set. Then we’ll get the scene back on the boat as the sun is setting and that will be the end of the day,” the director said to the both of us. We both got down into the water and waited for our directions.

“Nick, Kalie,” the director said after the cameras were all set up and the camera men were ready to film. “I want you two to just be yourselves for this scene. I want you to play around with each other. I know you have known each other since you were kids so pretend you’re kids again and you’re having a water fight in a pool. Don’t be afraid to splash each other in the face or try to dunk each other. This is a visual video so just have fun with it. I want to see expression and most of all smiles and laughter. Ready and action!”

I splashed Nick in the face and he splashed me back. We really did act like we were kids again fooling around in a pool. I challenged him to see who could get their head dunked first and Nick picked me up and moved me across his lap trying to make my head go under. It didn’t work and I caught him off guard as I nearly knocked him into the water. We forgot that we were being filmed and just kept horsing round not even hearing the director yell cut. When we did finally hear him say cut he wanted me to sit behind Nick with my arms around his shoulders as he sang a line from the song.

“I’m sorry if it feels uncomfortable but it does fit the song,” the director said to me.

I’m not uncomfortable about that at all!  I just don’t know if Nick is comfortable. I thought to myself. “No I’m fine with it. I am an actress after all.”

“Good,” the director nodded his head. “Ready and action!”

I slowly placed my arms around Nick’s shoulders and rested my head against his neck as he sang the line along with the music that was playing.

“And cut! Perfect! Now let’s get the final scene on the boat and we’ll be done with the whole video!” The camera men shipped all their equipment onto the boat and in a half hour the video was finished. In the final scene, Nick and I were watching the sun set, standing at the side of the boat. He was singing the final lines of the song and I came from behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned my head on his shoulder. The director yelled cut but we just stayed there and watched the sun set together.

“Guys I just wanted to say that today was an awesome day. I loved working with you two and I’m sure this video will be a hit and Kalie,” the director smiled at me, “you are going to be the envy of a lot of girls when they see this video.”

Nick and I both laughed nervously then said good bye to the director.

When the crew was driving off I asked Nick, “So are we going home now or what?”

“I was thinking we could stay here for the night.”

“Like the last time?”

“Yup. And you can choose if we sleep under the stars like the last time or in the sleeping quarters.”

I looked at the stars then a strong breeze blew. I rubbed my shoulder and shivered, “I want to sleep under the stars but it’s kind of chilly out here.”

“I’ll keep you warm out here. Take my hoddie.” He slipped his hoddie over my head. I had no time to protest.

“So I guess we’re sleeping under the stars then?”

“Yeah sure. I’ll go get the sleeping bags from the hull.”

Nick went below the deck and I called Ryan. The phone rang and rang until I had to leave a message.

“Hey. It’s me. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be home in the morning. I went to go visit my aunt and uncle and I decided to stay overnight. Love ya.”

“Who was that Kayl?” Nick threw the sleeping bags on the deck.

“Ryan. I just wanted him to know I wasn’t coming home tonight. I said I was visiting family.”

“Oh. Why didn’t you tell him you were with me?”

“You know how much he doesn’t like you. He doesn’t need to know. And it’s not like anything is going to happen between us.

“Oh alright. Well…” Nick rubbed the back of his head.

“What’s the matter?”

“Both sleeping bags have broken zippers. One you can’t open and the other one you can’t close. So which one do you want?”

“How about we use the one we can’t open as a mattress and the one you can’t close as a blanket?”

“Sounds good to me.” Nick and I set up our “bed” and Nick was the first to lie down.

“Oh we don’t have any pillows?”

Nick crossed his arms behind his head, “I’ll use my arms and you can use my chest as a pillow.”

“Would you mind?” I noticed butterflies starting to flutter around in my stomach.

“No, not at all. You used me as a pillow that other night we slept out here. Did I say I minded then?”

“That’s true. But… don’t you think it’s awkward?”

“What do you mean? I don’t think it’s awkward. I mean yeah we’re not dating but… I have known you for so long. I don’t feel awkward around you at all.”

“Neither do I.”

“So come on lay down.” I lay down and gently rested my head on his chest. My breathing became heavy and nervous. Can he feel how nervous I am? Is he nervous?

“You know Kalie… You looked really good in that black bikini.”

“Really?” I answered quickly and nervously.

“I mean it. And I’m not just saying because I’m your best friend… I’m saying it because I’m a guy.” We both giggled. “Did you have fun today?”

“I had a lot of fun. It was like when we were in High School again.”

“Yeah. Just like when we were in High School.” He laughed, “Remember we acted like that at a pool party and the Monday after there was a rumor going around that we were dating?”

“Oh… yeah… I remember that. You don’t know how much trouble I went through to clear that rumor up.”

“I know. You were so stressed out. I remember it well. But that’s in the past now.”

“Exactly and that’s where it should stay,” I said softly.

“I agree.”

“The stars are so beautiful,” I commented.

“Yes they are. That’s why I love coming out here. I can just stay out here and stare at them all night.”

“I can too. It’s not that often you see stars in the city. But we have to get some sleep so we can drive home.”

“Can’t we just stay like this? I mean I got all I need right here…. my best friend. Just think about it we can stay here and just be with each other,” he looked down at me and smirked.

“That would be perfect. But we have to go back to reality some time,” I sighed.

“That’s the sucky part. Cause you know I am willing to stay like this and forget the world.”

Is he reading my mind? Does he feel the same way I feel about him?

“I can forget the world too but…you really can’t.”I looked up at him.

“I wish we could. Well good night Kalie. You’re right we really should get some sleep.”

“Good night Nick.” He kissed my forehead and I felt a tingling sensation overwhelm me.

The night got quiet and the lapping waves hitting the side of the boat created a surprisingly gentle lullaby.

I closed my eyes and just as I was about to fall asleep Nick slowly moved his hand down to my shoulder. I raised my eyes to his and found he was sleeping. Or was he just pretending to sleep?

I closed my eyes again and tried to fall asleep but I couldn’t. My arm was starting to fall asleep and I had to move it. I delicately placed it on Nick’s stomach. Was I moving too fast? Did he feel my hand on his stomach? Would he care?

The morning sun beat down on my face and the light pierced through my eyelids. I covered my face with my hand. I didn’t want to open my eyes because I feared the day before was all just a wonderful dream and if I opened my eyes it would disappear and I would find myself alone in my bed. But then Nick stretched out his arms and yawned.

“Kay are you awake?”

My heart started to beat a little bit faster. Oh my God! It’s not a dream after all! I really did spend a night out on a boat totally alone with Nick under the stars. Maybe this is a sign. “No,” I mumbled.

He looked at me. “I think we better get going.”

“I think we should sleep for another 10 minutes.”

“And get fried out here by the sun?”

“Ok I’ll get up.” I slowly raised my head and then the rest of my body. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

“Good morning sleepy head.”

“Good morning Kaos.”

“You ready to go home?”

“I guess if you are.”

“I just have to put the sleeping bags away. I’ll be right back.” Nick got up and started folding up the sleeping bags.

“I’ll come with you. Just help me up.” He held out his hand and hoisted me up. “Thanks.”

“No prob. We’ll throw these back where I found them and then we’ll hit the road ok?”

“Alright but what are we going to do about breakfast. I’m pretty hungry.”

“We can grab something on the way. Or go to some diner.”

I glanced into the bathroom mirror and grimaced at how my hair looked. “I can’t go out looking like this. I haven’t showered either Nick.”

“You look fine,” he came behind me and glanced into the mirror. My hair was tangled and dried out from the sea water. I forgot my brush and I had a feeling it was going to be a nightmare getting it untangled.

“It’s a disaster! Look at how tangled it is. And it looks like it’s still wet but it’s so dry. This is disgusting!”

He took a step closer to me and I could feel him breathing on my shoulder. I was only in my bikini top because I had returned Nick’s hoddie to him. The night was freezing but the morning was hotter than hell.

“I think you look sexy,” he said matter of factly.

I felt my face flush. “Really?”

“Really. And I’m speaking out for those guys who wouldn’t say it yesterday. I mean you in this black bikini and your hair down. Damn!”

I laughed and shook my head. “Oh please stop.”

“Ha ha I’m making you blush!” He grinned widely.

“Yes you are so please stop.”

“Ok I’ll stop. Let’s go get breakfast. A Mickey D’s just opened up nearby.”

On the way home we talked about anything and everything except possibly having feelings for each other. But I did conjure up the courage to ask him something very important to me while we eat breakfast.

“So Nick…”

“Yes Kay?”

“Are you interested in anyone right now?”

“To tell you the truth,” I tried to keep myself calm as he thought about his answer. “I’m liking the single life right now. After Amanda and I broke up I promised myself a little break. Why’d you ask?”

I was trying my hardest to contain my composure, “I was just wondering that’s all.”

“Oh ok. Can I ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Do you really love Ryan?”

I looked at Nick and hesitated before I answered. “Yes I do.”

He just nodded his head and continued eating his breakfast.