- Text Size +

Chapter 17 A Vampire Movie and Raspberries

That night, Nick and I had our own little movie marathon because Rich called up and said he wouldn’t be home that night. We were almost kicked out of the Blockbuster because we were fooling around while we were picking out the movies we wanted to watch.

“What movie do you want to watch next?” I asked as the credits of the third movie we watched rolled.

 “How about this one that I picked out?” He showed me the horror movie he rented.

“Oh I hate horror films! I get really bad nightmares whenever I watch them.”

“Oh come on Kay. I’m here to protect you. I watched all the other movies you picked out. It’s only fair if you watch the single movie that I picked out. And trust me it’s not that scary. I’ve seen it before and I laughed throughout the whole thing.”

“I don’t know Nick.” He pouted and I broke in. “Ok fine we’ll watch it. But I’m grabbing a pillow just in case.”

“Chicken.”

“Yes I am and I’m not afraid to admit it.”

“Yet you’re afraid of an old, bad vampire movie that you haven’t seen yet.”

“Yup! You got me down to a science babe.”

He shook his head at me and started the movie. I grabbed a pillow and sat back on the couch next to him.

Nick laughed throughout the entire movie; I on the other hand hid behind the pillow for half of it.

“Kayl it’s ok to come out from under your pillow now. The movie is over you big chicken.”

“Are you sure? You fooled me for the last time Carter! You said that to me right in the middle of that damn movie and the friggin vampire jumped out and scared the crap out of me!”

“I’m sure it’s over. Look the credits are rolling.” He grabbed the pillow from my hands and I glanced at the tv. “I can’t believe you were scared by that movie. It was funny! The acting was terrible! That’s what made it so funny. You and I acted better in our school plays than these actors did.”

“I don’t find vampires jumping out at you funny Nick.”

“I do. That movie was nothing like the horror films of today.”

“Whatever. I told you I don’t do well with horror movies.”

“I can see that. But come on how scary can this be…” he wrapped the blanket I had draped over the couch around his shoulders like a cape and pretended to be the vampire from the movie. He imitated the accent perfectly, “My dear,” he smoothly came toward me. “You have this distinct smell it attracts me to you! It’s like nothing I have ever smelt before. It’s so strong! I can’t resist anymore!” He acted out the scene like he was the actor from the movie and I was trying my hardest to keep a straight face.

“You really know this scene don’t you?”

“Oh yeah. I’ve seen it over a hundred times. Want to see me act some more?”

My lips curved into a smile, “Sure.”

“Where was I… oh yeah here…” he moved his hand to behind my ear and tilted my head. “The smell is even stronger now! I can smell your blood!  Your young, living blood!” His lips were inches away from my skin, “This won’t hurt a bit. Trust me darling.” I could feel his breath beat steady on my neck as my pulse became faster and faster. Just when I thought he was going to kiss my skin, he made a raspberry on my neck.

“Nick! Stop!” I said laughing. “That’s so gross!” I tried to run away from him but he held my waist and wouldn’t let go. He kept making raspberries until I finally stopped struggling.

As soon as I stopped his lips came back to my neck again but this time he wasn’t trying to tickle me. His eyes were closed and he started kissing me gently over and over again on the same spot. My hands went up his arms instinctively. I felt his lips open and he began to suck my skin. I just stood there in shock. I felt like my body went numb. Nick stopped and, with his eyes still closed, slowly brushed his nose up my neck and turned my face to his. Then he opened his eyes and saw the shocked look on mine.

His eyes grew wide as he realized what he just did, “Shit! Kalie I’m sorry! I… I don’t know what got over me.”

“Nick it’s ok. You were just acting.” My heart dropped as I said those words.

“No I went too far with it I’m… I’m going to bed Kalie. I’ll talk to you in the morning.” He ran his fingers through his hair and stormed off into the spare bedroom.

Questions buzzed in my head as I lay in my bed trying to fall asleep. Was he really just acting? Did he want to do that to me all along? Does he like me like I like him? Was that his way of showing it? What about what he said to me on the boat? Is he giving me little hints that I’m not picking up on? Could it be that he’s trying to tell me how he really feels about me? Is Nick crushing on me? But then why did he look like he committed some awful crime when he realized he was giving me a hickey? Damn it! I can’t figure him out! He’s making me crazy! Does he like me or does he not?

The next morning I slipped out of the house without a single word from Nick. He was still in his room and I didn’t even bother to tell him I was leaving. I just left him a note telling him that I went to school then work as usual and that I hoped we could just forget the night prior and move on. I was praying that this wasn’t going to ruin our friendship.

I wanted to talk to my girls about what happened but the day was so busy I couldn’t get the chance to. In a way all the work I had to do took my mind off of what happened until I got home.

Nick was cooking his grandmother’s famous chicken and the delicious smell hit me in the face when I opened the door. I walked into the kitchen and Nick looked over his shoulder.

“Hey,” he said quietly.

“Hey,” I said in the same way. Great it’s awkward between us now.

“I got your note.”

I nodded my head.

“Kay, I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that last night I…”

“Nick I already forgive you. You just got caught up in the moment that’s all.”

“Why didn’t you stop me?” That question hit me like a ton of bricks and I stood there stunned.

“I…I…” Should I tell him now? Should I wait? “I was frozen Nick. I didn’t know what you were doing and I didn’t expect it. I just froze because I was shocked. I couldn’t move Nick.”

He clenched his lips together and shook his head, “I was so stupid. I’m sorry. I really am sorry. I just… can’t believe I did that.”

I let out a sigh, “Nick I already said I forgive you. Can we just leave it in the past please? Possibly forget it ever happened?”

“As long as it won’t ruin our friendship.”

“I’m not going to let it ruin it. So are we cool? Am I still your best friend?”

“Of course you are. Come here and give me a hug.”

“It smells really good in here babe. When’s dinner?” I asked after we hugged.

“Oh about a half hour.”

“Good I’m starving.”

“Is Ryan coming home tonight?”

“No,” I said with a disappointed voice. “He says he has to stay at the police academy until he graduates unless he gets leave.”

Nick placed a hand on my shoulder and looked into my sad eyes, “I know you’re lonely without him, that’s why I’m here.”

That night I had a dream about Ryan, Nick and I. I dreamed that Ryan was lying to me about where he was staying while he was in police academy. He was still cheating on me and all those nights when he didn’t come home he was with that red head he was sleeping with in New York. I remember I had broken up with him in my dream and Nick and I had hooked up and started dating. I believed a lot in dreams. But this dream seemed very farfetched. I mean I was having feelings that Ryan was being unfaithful but I really don’t think Nick and I would be more than just friends, even though I was getting mixed signals from Nick.

As Nick and I spent more and more time together, I started getting more and more mixed signals and signs from him. I was also starting to doubt my relationship with Ryan again. My thoughts were starting to run wild about the two most important boys in my life and confusion was starting to become a big part of my life. But then again Nick was there to make me feel better and he also let me be on set for the Help Me music video.

That day had to be one of the best of my life. I had so much fun watching Nick shoot the video and Michelle, Crystal, Dan and Chris were also in the video so I got to hang out with all of my best friends. It was a good thing my girls were there because they noticed the way Nick acted around me too.

Before everyone left the set Michelle pulled me aside and asked, “Do you want to come over tonight and hang? I think we girlies need to talk.”

“I think we do too. I’ll be over after I take a quick shower. I also have to tell you about what happened the other night.”

Michelle looked at me with a big question mark on her face. “You better! I’ll see you after you clean up. You better race over to my house the second you’re finished getting dressed.”

“I will Mich.”

As soon as I walked in the door Michelle and Crystal sat me down and said hurriedly, “Spill everything.”

I took in a deep breath then told them everything from the first night Nick slept over my house to the night he almost gave me a hickey to the dream I had. When I was finished, my girlies turned to look at each other and smiled.

“What are you two smiling about?”

“Do you have feelings for him?” Crystal asked.

I thought about my answer before I answered quietly, “I think I’m starting to.”

Crystal asked one more question, “Are your feelings for Ryan starting to fade?”  

“To be honest, yes. He hasn’t been around ever since he decided to become a cop. I really don’t know what is going to happen to us. And Nick has been the one who has been keeping me company. I think I’m starting to have feelings for my best friend. Well that’s not true. I think I’ve had feelings for him ever since my sweet 16. But it’s not until now that they are becoming more noticeable.”

“You should tell him,” Michelle suggested.

“But how? And what about Ryan?”

Michelle came closer to me and placed her arms on my shoulders. “If Nick flirts with you again just cup his face in your hands like this,” she cupped my face then continued very dramatically, “then stare right into his eyes and say “Nickolas Gene Carter, I have been crushing on you ever since my sweet 16 and now I think it’s more than a crush Nicky, I’m falling for you. And I need to know are you falling for me?” Then if he says yes just kiss him! Then go dump Ryan and live your life happily with Nick.”

Crystal and I laughed hardily.

When I caught my breath I told Michelle, “Ok first, you know he hates being called Nicky. Second, I wouldn’t say that I’m falling for him. Third, I’m not as dramatic as you are Mich. I wasn’t the one who got led roles in all four of her years in school plays. And forth, I don’t think he has the same feelings about me.”

Crystal shook her head, “I know how you feel Kay.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” she started, “I have been getting mixed signals and signs from Dan but I’m still dating Dom.”

“I think Dan really likes you Tally,” I said. “He has this certain look in his eyes when he looks at you. Do you have feelings for him?”

She grinned, “Yes I do. And I don’t think Dom and I are going to last much longer.”

“Ok I’m going to say this for both of you,” Michelle added, “Tell the boy that you have feelings for him! He needs to know so maybe he could get the idea to tell you that he feels the same way. If you do tell him, it will take away a lot of confusion. That’s how Chris and I started dating and look at how happy we are together.”

She was right. Ever since they started dating she and Chris have been the happiest couple.

“I’ll tell him,” Crystal said with a smile on her face. “Are you going to tell Nick Kayl?”

I looked at Michelle and she said, “I think you should Kalie.”

“I want to but I don’t want to ruin my friendship with him.”

“Kay, honey, I doubt your friendship with Nick will ever we ruined,” Michelle cajoled.

“Ok I’ll tell him.”

That afternoon Nick came home from the recording studio just as I came home from Michelle’s house. We had a quiet dinner together then watched many episodes of our favorite comedy show Whose Line is It Anyway. We were sitting on the couch together and Nick had his arm resting on the top of it. It slowly inched down and stopped at my shoulders.

We laughed to the point of tears and somehow Nick and I got into a tickle fight. I ended up on my back with Nick hovering over me. After we stopped laughing Nick looked into my eyes. I got lost in those blue pools of his. I just couldn’t look away.

My breath quickened and those butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. His head started to inch closer to mine.

My mind raced. I can’t believe it. He’s going to kiss me! I parted my lips very slightly then… the phone rang.

Of course right at the highest point between Nick and I the phone rings. It was only Ryan calling to say that he wasn’t coming home again. I could have guessed he wasn’t coming home he didn’t really need to call. The call messed up possibly the best time I had to confess to Nick.