- Text Size +

Chapter 2: The First Concert

After everyone, including Dylan, had a fantastic time at the Animal Kingdom, we decided to just chill by the pool. We all soaked up the sun then decided to play a few rounds of chicken. Ok it was more than a few because we switched partners constantly. Dylan wouldn’t play so my best guy friends and Kasey took turns with being my partner. It was so much fun and it reminded us of when we were kids playing in each other’s pools.

A few hours had past and in typical Florida weather it started to rain so we headed back to our rooms to shower and get ready for dinner and the concert afterward. When we were all finished getting ready, we met up in the lobby and waited for our bus to show.

I decided to wear my favorite purple halter top and ripped jeans with open toed sandals to show off my French pedicure. I pulled my hair into a playful ponytail and threw on some makeup. Dylan wore a brown polo and faded jeans that looked very cute on him. I could tell he quickly ran a comb threw his hair and left it down instead of spiking it up like I liked it. I walked up to my boyfriend and kissed his cheek.

“You look really cute baby.”

“Thanks… Why are you wearing that?” he said as he eyed me up and down.

“What? Don’t you like it?”

“Kalie we’re going to a character dinner. Why wear that?”

“What?! Are you afraid Mickey Mouse is gunna hit on me or something?!”

“You never know who is really in those costumes.”

“Dylan! Are you hearing yourself right now?! You’re being ridiculous! I’m not going to be hit on by some guy in a costume! Can you please just stop worrying for once and try to have a good time without being so… so difficult?!”

“Kalie you’re screaming for attention by wearing this!”

“Look around Dylan, almost every girl is wearing something like me. So I finally decide to wear something that shows off a little more skin than usual and you flip out.”

“I’m not flipping out! I’m just trying to protect you.”

“Well I don’t need as much protection as you think Dylan.”

“That’s just what you think.”

“Whatever.”

My friends and Kasey just stood in silence and looked at each other afraid to say anything. It was a good thing Nick wasn’t there because I was in no mood to hear his speech again. He was at another practice for the night’s show. Everyone who witnessed the fight stayed quiet until one of our chaperones gathered us to board the busses.

“Kasey I’m sitting with you and Trisha is that ok?”

“It’s no problem sis. Not after that fight.”

“And Kalie, I think you look really cute in that outfit. Don’t let him get to you,” Trisha comforted me as we loaded the bus and sat down next to each other. Michelle, Crystal, Dan and Chris filled into the seat next to us. Dylan took the one behind us. He tried to talk to me but I gave him the cold shoulder until we got to the character dinner.

The buses drove for ten minutes until they pulled up to the restaurant that hosted the character dinner. We filed off the bus one by one and made our way into the restaurant.

I was one of the last one’s off the bus along with Kasey and Trisha. As I walked toward the restaurant’s entrance Dylan grabbed my wrist and spun me around. I was ready to punch him but I stopped myself when I realized who it was and when I saw the saddened and lonely look on his face.

“Kalie baby, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have flipped out like that. And I should’ve been more excited about you wearing this. You look hot honey. Do you accept my apology?”

He looked at me with his soulful, green, puppy dog eyes and the slight smirk across his lips. He looked so sincere and cute that I had to accept his apology.

“I accept. Come on let’s go get our seats before they are taken.”

Dinner went smoothly except for Dylan refusing to take pictures with all the characters who visited us. I just shrugged it off and secretly started to doubt our relationship lasting a little bit longer. I was finally starting to see what Nick and the rest of my best friends were seeing in him. He was acting like a real jerk lately.

It was about 20 minutes before the concert when Nick called me.

“Hey Nick! What’s up?”

“Are you guys finished with dinner yet?”

“Yeah we just finished why’d you ask?”

“Are you guys leaving?”

“We’re waiting for Dylan to get out of the bathroom and then we’re going to call a cab to take us to the concert.”

“You don’t have to.”

“Why not?”

“A limo is picking all of you up.”

“Are you serious Nick?!”

“Yes I am.”

“You are too much! You already got us the tickets.”

“Don’t mention it. Just think of it as my graduation present to all of you. It was the least I could do Kayl. What are you wearing so I could tell the driver to look for you?”

I described my outfit and thanked Nick again for hiring the limo and getting the tickets. I explained to my friends sitting around me that Nick hired the limo and we waited for Dylan to return. Once he did we nearly ran out of the restaurant.

The girls and I were shaking with excitement when the limo dropped us off in front of the concert hall. Before we took our seats we bought t-shirts, posters and we each bought the iconic Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. We promised ourselves we would have one every day we were in Disney and we kept our promise. After our ice cream was finished we made our way to our seats and waited excitedly for the show to begin.

That concert was the best! Words can’t even describe how amazing it was. Michelle, Crystal and I fell in love with BSB ever since Nick gave us a quick preview of We’ve Got It Goin’ On. We thought the Boys couldn’t get any better but we never heard them live before.

“They’re even better live!” Michelle exclaimed as she danced along to Get Down.

“And they can dance!” I yelled to my friends.

“What do you guys think of them?” Crystal asked Dan, Chris and Dylan.

“I actually like them,” Chris answered.

“I agree they’re really good entertainers and their songs are really good too,” replied Dan.

“What about you babe?” I asked Dylan as I tried to get him to dance with me.

“I don’t like them,” he said coldly. He stood there with the unhappiest look on his face. It made him look unattractive and he was being just plain boring. He used to be so fun to be with but he changed lately and this change wasn’t for the better. I had a bad feeling our relationship was going to end soon.

My girls and I jumped with joy and excitement when we heard the boys start to sing As Long As You Love Me. It was and still is our favorite song and the three of us keep thinking back to that first concert whenever we hear that song.

I, trying to be cute, wrapped my arms around Dylan’s waist and started to serenade him. He just pushed me aside and walked outside.

“Whatever!” I thought aloud and continued to sing along with my friends.  Why couldn’t Dylan be like Dan and Chris? They were actually having a good time singing along and dancing with us. They gave BSB a try and actually liked them. I don’t know what was up with him but it was really starting to piss me off and disgust me.

The final song of the night was All I Have To Give and it felt like Nick was singing it to me and only me. He had his eyes on me throughout his solos in the song. I had a feeling he saw Dylan walk out on me and was trying to make me feel better… and it was helping… a lot. Nick was so smooth on stage and his voice was perfect. He made me forget about Dylan… until he met up with us to go back stage.

One of Backstreet’s security guards showed us to the room where we were meeting the Boys. Crystal, Michelle and I nearly skipped with linked arms down the hall the security guard was leading us down. Dan and Chris were laughing as they walked behind us.

“What are you laughing at?” Michelle raised her eyebrow.

“You!” Chris chuckled out.

“You girls don’t know how you’re walking. It’s hysterical. We can see your legs quaking. You must be excited,” Dan laughed.

“We are!” the three of us said simultaneously. I saw Dylan roll his eyes out of the corner of my own but I didn’t let it get to me. I had just gone to the best concert of my live and was going to meet the Backstreet Boys, nothing could ruin my mood.

“Well here we are. Have a good time with the Boys,” the guard said as he opened the door.

“Thank you,” I smiled at him.

We walked in slowly and were greeted by Nick.

“Took you guys long enough to get here!” he exclaimed sarcastically.

“Hello Nick,” Crystal said as she hugged him. He laughed at himself and greeted everyone else.

“Hey fellas! My friends are here come and meet them!”

One by one the rest of the Backstreet Boys came out of their dressing room. Us girls looked at each other and smiled widely. We were finally meeting the Backstreet Boys! We had heard so much about them from Nick but actually meeting them was so exciting.

“Fellas these are my best friends Dan, Chris, Crystal, Michelle and Kalie. My BFFs this is Brian, AJ, Howie and Kevin.”

“It’s nice to meet you all,” Kevin said as he shook all of our hands.

“We have heard a lot about you from blabber mouth over here,” Howie joked as he too shook the guys’ hands and kissed each of the girls’.

“Hopefully everything good I hope,” Michelle replied somewhat out of breathe. Crystal and I could tell she was flattered by Howie. We all were.

“No nothing bad. We just hear a lot about all of you because he misses you guys so much,” Brian smiled.

“What can I say it’s true,” Nick shrugged his shoulders.

“Who’s that standing in the back?” Kevin asked looking toward Dylan.

“Oh he’s my boyfriend. Come here honey, they don’t bite. Everyone this is Dylan. Dylan this is Kevin, Howie, Brian and AJ.”

“Nice to meet you dude,” AJ was the first to extend his hand to my boyfriend but quickly withdrew it when Dylan just nodded his head. Awkward silence fell between everyone after Dylan did that. The look on Nick’s face clearly stated he wasn’t happy. “Oh great,” I thought to myself, “Here we go. He’s going to be an ass.”

And he was. The Boys started to make conversation by asking if the guys enjoyed the show. They commented that they actually liked it but Dylan had a different answer.

“To tell you the truth, I think you guys are a whole lot of hype and not that much to show off. I’ve seen better concerts.”

“Well I’m sorry you feel that way,” Kevin said in a calm but strong voice. “We’ll just have to try harder next time.”

“Oh there won’t be a next time. I think you will die down in a few months and people won’t even know who you are anymore.”

“Well that’s just your opinion,” Howie mimicked Kevin’s tone.

I was standing next to Nick and AJ and I overheard AJ whisper to him, “Is this guy for real?”

I felt so embarrassed. I calmly walked over to Dylan and asked, “What is wrong with you?”     

“I don’t want to be here,” he said through gritted teeth. “You met them so let’s go back to the hotel.” He grabbed my wrist and started for the door.

“No how about you go back to the hotel because I’m staying here,” I ripped my hand from his grasp and stood my ground. Nick came closer behind me and so did the other boys standing in the room.

“Come on Kalie just come with me!”

“No!”

“I suggest you leave before I kick you out on the street myself,” Nick said sternly. Dylan, being afraid of Nick, walked out and I didn’t see him again until the next afternoon when we left Disney.

The room was silent for a few seconds before AJ broke the silence, “So… what did you girls really think of the show?”

“Despite my boyfriend being a jackass I loved it. I think you guys are awesome!”

“Awe shucks…” Brian pretended to be shy. We girls giggled.

We stayed for 3 hours just talking with BSB. We were all having a great time and became quick friends. I had a feeling we were going to become really good friends because we would be seeing a lot of each other if it was up to Nick. And we did become friends and we did see a lot of each other but I’m getting a head of myself.

Let’s go back to right before my friends and I left.

I glanced at the clock that read 2 am.

“You know what I just realized?” I glanced at my friends around me. “We have to get up early tomorrow to pack so we can be at breakfast on time.”

“That and we don’t want to be late for the bus either. They’re leaving right after breakfast and if they leave without us they’re not turning back and we’re on our own,” Chris reminded us.

“Do you have to leave? You guys can catch a ride on our tour bus if you want to and we’ll take you home,” Nick offered.

“We already paid for the bus anyway Nick but thanks for the offer bud,” Crystal replied. “Kalie’s right we should get going. I’m getting tired anyway. How about the rest of yas?”

Michelle yawned widely and Dan chuckled, “Well Mich is tired. We better get her home before she becomes cranky.” He turned to the Backstreet Boys and fake whispered, “You really don’t want to see her when she gets cranky.”

Michelle slapped his arm and Dan shielded his head with his arms. He cowardly ran behind me.

“Why’d you hide behind me?” I asked with a laugh in my voice.

“Because I know Mich is scared of you and you love me and you won’t let Mich hurt me,” Dan looked at me with a cute smile. I had to laugh; Dan was pretty cute with his chocolate brown hair and expressive hazel eyes and defined facial features that kind of looked like Nick’s, that little smile made him even cuter.

“It’s a good thing you’re cute Dan man.”

“I know I try.”

Chris, who was sitting next to me, rested his head on my shoulder. I looked down at him and said, “Can I help you?”

“Yeah you can just stay like that because you’re comfy. I can fall asleep like this.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and dug his face into my shoulder like it was a pillow.

“It’s a good thing you’re cute too!” I joked again. Chris and Dan looked like they could be twins except Chris had black hair and darker eyes. He was also a little more muscular than Daniel.

“Wow you guys really can’t party can you?” Brian joked.

“Not really. The boys and Mich can’t but Kalie and I can! We can stay up all night baby!” Crystal gave me a loud high five.

“You got that right did it enough times,” I laughed. “But we really should get back to the hotel.” I lightly pushed Chris’s head off my shoulder and he gave me a dirty look.

“How dare you move me!” he put his fists on his hips. I pulled back my arm like I was ready to punch him. He put his arms up defensively and everyone laughed.

“Damn Kalie, everyone’s afraid of you aren’t they?” Howie chuckled.

“Oh you really don’t want to mess with Kalie. Or any of the three of them for that matter, Tally and Mich are the first ones Kayl calls for back up,” Nick answered.

“Oh gorgeous girls with tough attitudes, I really like you guys!” AJ exclaimed. The three of us blushed.

“My god AJ I think you were the first one to make all three of them blush at the same time!” Dan exclaimed astonished.

“Ok ok, let’s just get these good byes over with before we decide to sleep over here,” Michelle spoke up.

“Yes ma’m Michelle ma’m!” we all stood at attention and saluted her.

She shook her head, “I hate when you guys do that.”

“We know you do.”

“Well hopefully you guys will be able to catch a few more shows before tour ends because I would really like to hang with you guys sometime,” Kevin said kindly as he said bye to everyone. “It was really nice to meet all of you.”

“It was nice to meet you too Kevin. And hopefully you guys can come to one of our houses and we can chill there. All of us have pools and the beach is close to us too,” Crystal replied.

“I’d like that.”

The rest of the boys said their see you laters and they all said how happy they were to have finally met us. They were all so nice and down to earth and they were so appreciative that we really enjoyed the show and their music in general. Before we left they signed each of our tour t-shirts.

“Well Nick thank you so much for the tickets and backstage passes. You’re the best bud!” I said as I hugged him.

“You’re welcome Kay. I’m gunna miss you.”

“I’m gunna miss you too Kaos. Do you know when you’ll be finished with touring?”

“We have no idea but I’ll call you when I find out.”

“Ok bud. Good night.”

“Good night Kalie,” he kissed my forehead and the security guard lead us to the waiting limo.

“So you still don’t think Nick is still crushing on you?” Michelle asked.

I looked at her like she had five heads. Nobody mentioned Nick having a crush on me since my sweet 16. I guess that subject just died down when I started dating again.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I replied quickly deciding to play dumb.

“Oh come on Kayl!” said Crystal. “He got you tickets, backstage passes and he kissed you on the head when you said good night. Kalie, since when does he kiss you? I know you guys always hugged but he never gave you friendship kisses before!”

“But Chris and I have kissed her before? What does that have to do with it?” Dan asked.

“But Tally’s right. Nick has never kissed Kay before,” Chris agreed.

“So he started kissing me good night. It’s no big deal.”

“Sure that’s what you think now,” Michelle said with a raised eye brow.

I really didn’t know what the big deal was about Nick giving me a good night kiss. It wasn’t like he French kissed me; it was just a tiny peck on the forehead.