- Text Size +

Chapter 30 Let The World Know This Is Us

As soon as I saw the six of my best friends turn the corner when they returned, I jumped out of my seat and nearly ran to Kalie.

My heart felt like it was chipping away piece by piece when I saw her angelic body lying in the hospital bed.

I sat in the chair that was close to her bedside. Pushing it closer to her I took her hand. She was still warm which the doctors said was a good sign. They also said how she did during the first night would tell them if she would actually make it or not.

I stared at her face and said in a half whisper, “Kalie. I can’t believe out of all the people I know you are the one I’m saying this to. I don’t know where you are but I need you to come back. I can’t live without you Kay.”

I tried my hardest to hold back tears but I wasn’t strong enough.

“It’s killing me that I don’t know where you are. Your body is here but you can’t answer me, you can’t even open your eyes or smile at me. I need to see you smile at least one more time. A lifetime without your smile would be a lifetime without sunshine.  Kalie, I really want you to be here so I could tell you this face to face, so I could see your reaction and ask if you feel the same way but I need to tell you this while I have the chance.”

I took in a deep breath and brushed away the tears that escaped my eyes.

“Kalie, baby, I love you more than words can describe. You’re my fallen angel and my dream girl. You’re everything that I thought I wanted love to be but if you die, oh god Kalie! Everything will disappear from me if you do.”

I slipped my arm under her neck and brought my lips next to her ear, “You’re more than my best friend Kay; you’re the love of my life! Please don’t die on me! Come back baby. Come back!”

All my emoticons poured out in the form of tears. I kissed her forehead. Then, I don’t know why, but the scene from Snow White where the Prince kissed his princess and she came back to life played in my head. I kissed her lips thinking, hoping, that it would be the magical kiss to bring her back to life.

But of course she didn’t wake up after the kiss. She still lay there, looking as gorgeous as ever, in a coma.

I kissed her forehead one last time before I wiped my tears so I could bring the rest of the people waiting for Kalie back to the room.

Before I left the room I took one last look at her beautiful face as if to etch it into my mind. Something glimmered in the sunlight which peaked in from the window. It was the ring I gave her for her sweet 16.

I grabbed it from the bedside table and slid it onto the gold chain she gave me for my 18th birthday.

“I might as well keep a piece of you with me in case you don’t wake up.”

***Kalie’s Point Of View***

            I found myself standing in an endless, empty room and was suddenly blinded by this bright flash of white light. My eyes adjusted after the flash and I noticed two figures walking toward me.

“Grandma? Grandpa?”

“Yes deary it’s us,” my grandmother walked over to me and hugged me tightly. Then Grandpa took his turn to hug me.

“You have to go back honey,” Grandma sweetly said.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re in Heaven baby,” Grandpa answered. “Right now your body is laying in a hospital bed because you are in a coma. But it’s not your time to stay here. We brought you here to tell you that your family and friends need you back.”

“They asked us to protect you Kalie but you need to go back,” Grandma took my face in her hands, “You have so much life to live. Go back and live!”

“But I want to stay here with you! I miss you so much!”

“We miss you two Kalie but it’s not your time to be here,” Grandpa grabbed my hand. “There are people who love you down there and can’t live without you. You need to go back to them.”

“You especially need to go back to Nickolas,” Grandpa commented.

“What did you say?”

Grandma explained, “He loves you. And not just as a friend Kalie. You’re the love of his life and am I wrong when I say that he’s the love of yours?”

“No you’re right. I do love him more than he knows.”

“You need to tell him that,” Grandpa said. “So go back and tell him and live the rest of your life together. Do your grandmother and me a favor; go back and live a happy life with your family, friends and the love of your life.”

“But I want to stay here with you. I miss you two so much! And I hate that you’re not with me anymore.”

Grandpa hugged me again and reminded me, “Kalie baby, we are always with you, everyday. We’re never gone because we are in your heart.”

“Your grandfather’s right honey,” Grandma grabbed my hand, “As long as you promise us that you’ll keep us in your heart, we’ll be with you every step along the way.”

My eyes started to swell with tears, “I promise you both that I’ll keep you in my heart. I love you!”

“I love you too baby,” Grandpa kissed my forehead and hugged me.

“I love you Kalie and remember,” Grandma said as she hugged and kissed me for the last time, “You’ll see us somewhere down the road again.”

I turned and walked away from my beloved grandparents.

I found myself in darkness. Some soft sound floated to my ears. It was muffled at first but as I felt my heart beat stronger the sound got clearer and clearer.

It was Nick’s unmistakable voice! He was singing one of my favorite songs directly into my ear.

“Girl don’t stop,

The sun from shining down on me

Cause I can’t face another day without your smile

And if you take away the loving arms that surround me

Then I might break down and just like a child

Baby our love will last forever

I know that we will stay together

I love you so much

I need you so much

You’re my love

We’ll last forever

And if you take away the loving arms that surround me

Then I might break down and cry

Just like a child”

            I felt his tears hit the side of my face and his lips touch mine delicately. Just as he pulled his lips from mine I slowly opened my eyes and whispered with a weak voice, “Kaos what are you crying about?”

“You’re not waking up,” he sniffled.

“That’s not a reason for tears. And since when do you cry? I thought you were a big manly man.”

“Y…you don’t understand Kalie.” His eyes went wide as he looked at me, “Kalie?! My god you’re awake! Thank god you’re awake!”

He excitedly pecked my lips and all over the rest of my face and wrapped his arms around my waist and squeezed me. Then I winced from the sharp pain in my side but I was still laughing at his excitement. 

“Nick easy, my side hurts,” I half laughed, half winced.

“Oh shit I’m sorry! I forgot I’m just so thrilled you’re awake!” I laughed as he hugged me again just below my ribs this time.

“It’s ok bud. But where…”

I was interrupted by Nick’s question of, “How are you feeling?”

“My side hurts but I’m fine. Where am I though?”

“You’re in the hospital. I better go get your family and the rest of our crew. They’re going to be so relieved.” He ran out of the room and I heard him exclaim, “She’s awake! She’s awake!”

I shook my head and giggled.

My family and friends rushed into my room and all exclaimed, “Kalie! Kalie thank god you’re awake!”

They all hugged and kissed me one at a time and exclaimed how happy they were that I was back on earth.

“What happened to me?”

“That asshole Ryan shot you,” Kyle said with a lot of anger in his voice.

“You lost a lot of blood and went into a coma,” Mom answered.

“How long was I in the coma?”

“Three weeks,” Dad replied.

“Three long weeks,” Kim crooned.  

“What happened to Ryan?”

“He killed himself after he saw what he did to you,” answered Crystal.

“It’s a good thing he did because Nick wouldn’t be here right now if Ryan didn’t kill himself,” joked Chris.

Michelle laughed, “He’s right Kayl. Kaos would have been sitting in a jail cell if he was able to get his hands on that bastard.”

“Why would Ryan do this though?”

“He was drunk and had that ‘if I can’t have you no one will’ attitude,” Dan informed me.

“Oh yeah,” I sighed, “I remember now.”

“But what’s important is that you’re back safe and sound,” Crystal hugged me.

I hugged her back and smiled widely.

My mom grabbed my hand and squeezed it. When I returned the favor I realized the ring Nick gave me for my 16th birthday was missing.

“Where’s my ring?”

Nick showed me something around his neck. “I kept it safe for you.”

“Awe thank you Nick.” I smiled with relief and added, “You’re such a good friend.”

He grinned back. “I know I try.”

Carefully he unclasped the chain it was on and handed me the ring.

“You kept it on the chain I gave you.”

He grinned cutely at me, “I never take it off. I have worn it since the day you gave it to me.”

“No wonder why you two are best friends,” Kim chuckled.

“I’m so happy you’re back Kay but, where did you go?” my twin asked.

I smiled slightly, “I visited Grandma and Grandpa.”

“Really?!” my siblings said at the same time. My parents looked at each other then back at me.

I nodded my head, “They told me it wasn’t my time yet. They wanted me to come back but I wanted to stay with them.”

“What made you come back?” Nick asked in a near whisper.

I looked at him then at my family and answered, “They reminded me that as long as I keep them in my heart, they’ll always be with me and that I will see them somewhere down the road again. They reminded me that they will never be gone from my life. They also reminded me that all of you were back here waiting for me and that you all love me.”

I smiled at each of the faces surrounding me, looking at Nick last.

I gazed into his beautiful blue eyes and smiled, “They made me realize that I have a lot to live for.”

He took my hand and kissed it sweetly, “Thought you would never come back to us.”

“Oh come on Kaos you should know that I’m not that easy to get rid of.” Everyone in the room laughed.

Crystal nodded and said, “Yup Kay’s back!”

“Thank god she’s back,” Mark said. “I would’ve had to look for another dance partner.”

“What about Lacey?” I joked, “She’s a professional dancer too ya know.”

Lacey chuckled, “I’m not as good as you are though. And I wouldn’t dare trying to take over your job of teaching those kids.”

“Eh you would have done a fine job with them.”

“You better come back to the dance floor soon Kay,” Mark said.

“Oh I’ll be on the dance floor tomorrow.”

“No you won’t,” Mom interjected. “Even though the doctors removed the bullet that was lodged in between your ribs and stitched you back up, that wound is still going to hurt. Besides they’ll most likely keep you in here for a few more days to monitor you.”

“Ok, ok. How about this, I’ll be on the dance floor as soon as I can.”

“I’ll keep you to your word Kayl.”

“You know me Mark; I’ll stay true to my word.”

My visitors stayed for a while until my doctor came in to check my vitals.

“You are very lucky Kalie. The bullet stopped just before it hit any of your vital organs. And it’s a miracle that you woke up so quickly.  You must have a guardian angel watching out for you.”

“Two actually.”

“Well welcome back. I’m going to keep you here for a few more days to monitor you but you should be back on your feet in the upcoming week.”

“I will still be able to dance right?”

“Oh yes. You will have no restrictions what so ever. I’m going to go to my other patients so should I bring your family back in or do you want to rest.”

“No you can bring them in.”

Nick was the first to come in and stand by my side. Then my family and friends followed.

We talked about what I missed for a few minutes then I asked, “Could I get some time alone with Nick please?”

“Sure baby,” Mom said, “We’ll all be out in the waiting room if you need us.”

“Thanks Mom.”

“Actually I think Lacey and I are going to hit the road,” Mark commented. He hugged me again and said, “Welcome back Kayl. Get your legs ready to dance again.”

I laughed, “I will bud.”

“Feel better soon,” Lacey said as she hugged me too, “We’ll call to check up on ya tomorrow.”

“I think Dan and I are going home too,” Crystal said, “We’ll see you later hun.”

“Mich I think we should go too,” Chris said. “She needs to be with her family right now.”

My friends all hugged me, promised they would call the next day then left.

Once all my visitors left, Nick sat on the bed next to me. He held my hand, gazed into my eyes, and stroked the top of my head lovingly.

“You don’t know how happy I am that you’re awake. I don’t know what I would’ve done without my girl.”

“You would’ve lived.”

“No I wouldn’t have. I would’ve died from a broken heart if you didn’t wake up soon.”

“You’re such a sweet talker,” I joked.

He chuckled, “You’re already back to normal.”

“You bet. I never changed. A coma couldn’t shake Kalie Marie Smith.”

“Like dating you didn’t shake me. I didn’t change right?”

I smiled at him and placed my hand on the side of his face, “Thank you so much for proving me wrong. You mean so much to me… you have no idea how much you mean to me.”

“Kalie I think I know… you’re special to me too.”

“No Nick I mean… I love you.”

“I know you do. You’re my best friend and I’m yours.”

“No… I mean I actually love you… way too much for words.”

He leaned in closer with a huge smile on his face, “I thought I was never going to hear you say that. I love you way too much for words baby. You don’t know how happy you just made me. I… I want to let the world know this is us now! Kalie you’ve made me…”

“Just shut up and kiss me.”

He chuckled quietly then slowly our eyes closed and our lips met. We kissed passionately and it felt so good.

There was no doubt about it, I was in love with my best friend and he truly loved me back.    

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed Kay Are You Down! Check out the sequel Two Is Better Than One! (will be posted shortly)