- Text Size +

Chapter 19 How Am I Going To Do This?

            The next day the same people who went bowling went to a county fair together. There were fair rides and food and games and even a farm stock show. It was a beautiful day and it was an easy choice to make about going out and doing something besides staying in the boring hotel.

            Everyone was having a blast at the fair. Everyone was acting like they were kids in a candy store. I tried to get Kalie on some of the roller coasters but she was too scared.

            “Oh come on Kalie! The Wildcat is a mild ride. The only thing it does is go fast and has a few drops, nothing too bad.”

            “Nick did you forget that I’m afraid of heights?”

            “It’s not that high up.”

            She looked toward the roller coaster I was pointing to and her jaw dropped, “Nickolas that’s the tallest ride here! There is no way I am going on that thing!”

            “Baby, what are you going to do just sit here and be bored waiting for the rest of us to come off the ride?”

            “I’m fine with that as long as I’m not on that roller coaster.”

            “What’s the fun in that?”       

            “Nick, just go get on the ride. Everyone else is waiting for you.”

            “But I need a ride partner,” I pouted at her hoping that would do the trick.

            “I’ll be your ride partner Nick,” Rochelle tapped me on the shoulder.

            “And I’ll stay with Kalie,” AJ offered.

            “You’re not going on the big rides either AJ?” I asked. “Come on man they’re fun.”

            “I’m with Kalie. Roller coasters just aren’t my thing.” AJ looked at Kalie and suggested, “How about you and I go play some games maybe get some food, see some shows while we wait for the rest of those daredevils.”

            “That sounds better than me having a panic attack on a roller coaster,” she answered.

            By this time the rest of “the daredevils” as AJ called them gathered around us waiting for a plan.

            “Actually Brian, Baylee and I are going to go with AJ and Kalie. Baylee’s not tall enough to go on the rides you want to go on,” Leighanne commented.

            Howie’s Leigh chipped in, “I don’t want to sit around and wait for you guys either. I have to keep James busy.”

            “How about the people who don’t want to go on the major rides can come with us,” Kalie suggested. “That way the two groups will stay together. Then we can meet up somewhere when you daredevils are finished with all the rides you want to go on.”

            “That sounds good to me,” Howie said. “Let’s meet at the bumper cars in an hour and a half, that should give us enough time to go on the rides we want to go on and also we can all verse each other in bumper cars.”

            “Deal we’ll see you in an hour and a half,” AJ said.

            “I’ll see you in a little bit babe,” Kalie looked up at me and smiled.

            “Alright baby,” I gave her a quick kiss then said jokingly to AJ, “Behave yourself with my girl AJ.”

            “Me? Try anything with my best friend’s girl never,” he answered sarcastically. Then he put his arm around Kalie’s shoulder smoothly and kidded, “Come on baby, let’s go have some fun alone.”

            Kalie burst out laughing and I chuckled.

            “You better listen to Nick or your girl won’t behave with your best friend,” Rochelle grabbed my hand and retaliated against AJ.

            He took his arm off of Kalie’s shoulder then Rochelle let go of my hand. Rochelle stuck her tongue out at AJ and he returned the gesture. Kalie looked at me and winked and I smiled back. I knew it was all in good fun but still it was weird watching Kalie walk away with another guy. At least I actually knew and trusted AJ.

***Kalie’s Point of View***

            Leighanne, Baylee, Leigh and James went on some of the kid’s rides while AJ and I went on the rock and roll Himalaya ride then went through the Haunted Mansion. I really didn’t want to go in that Mansion because I hate anything to do with horror but AJ said it was more fun with a friend so he suckered me in. We got the shit scared out of us a few times and I grabbed AJ’s arm nearly cutting off his circulation. I was expecting things to jump out at us but that little attraction was scarier than I expected. Afterward we got our lunch of huge hot dogs and deep fried Oreos with fresh squeezed lemonade. We met back up with the other part of our group and started playing some games. Baylee was dead set on winning this one Scooby Doo toy and every game we tried someone else won it. Baylee was such a good sport though because he moved right along to the next show we wanted to go to or the next game not showing how upset he was that he didn’t win the Scooby Doo toy. Finally we came across this Dance Dance Revolution game.

            “AJ let’s try this one. I think we have a better chance of winning that toy for Baylee with this game,” I pulled him closer to the mini stage.

            “Why are you dragging me along? You can win that all by yourself.”

            “You have to play as a team. See,” I pointed to four people who were already playing. They were obviously playing two on two and the couple that won got a prize for each person.

            “Ok let’s do this.”

            We paid the man running the game and waited for our opponents. At first the game was simple, hitting the different colored tiles with one foot at a time. Then it got faster and faster turning into a mini work out. The team who were against AJ and I were pretty good but in the end we were the victors by ten points. Each of us got a Scooby Doo toy but mine went to Baylee and AJ gave his to James.

            “Thank you so much Aunt Kalie!”

            “Awe your welcome Baylee.”

            “That was really sweet of you Kalie,” Leigh smiled at me.

            “Don’t mention it.”

            “It’s almost time to meet up with the daredevils. We should make our way to the bumper cars,” Leigh said.

            We started walking toward our meeting spot and stopped when Baylee asked, “Can we go in the petting zoo real quick?”

            “Yeah let’s go in we have enough time,” I said taking Baylee’s hand and leading the others into the petting zoo.

            Baylee was so excited petting the goats, sheep, lamps and the two miniature horses that were there. AJ was in his picture taking glory when little James became so interested in the animals and starting smiling widely. He also got great shots of Baylee holding a tiny baby goat and the miniature horse licking his face. It was so cute seeing Baylee and baby James react to the animals.

            We washed our hands then continued to the bumper cars. We waited a few minutes for the daredevils to show up and they did just in time as people were starting to finish their round of bumper cars. We were also in luck because our group got to have our own private game. We went crazy! Everyone was ramming full speed into everyone else and everybody was acting like mad men. I think the craziest one was our bus driver Billy. He was zigg zagging and swerving like he was drunk! He made the funniest faces too when he hit you then he would speed away laughing like he was an evil scientist. Billy became insane! It was a good thing Leigh decided to sit that game out with James. Instead she took pictures and got a lot of funny ones.

            The buzzer sounded and the power to our cars shut off. Billy was just about to ram into my car when the power was cut. I’ll never forget the evil look on his face as he was coming toward me change to a look of utter disappointment because I was the only one he didn’t hit throughout the entire game.

            “I’ll get you next time Kalie.”

            “Good luck trying!” I laughed, “It’s a good thing you don’t drive the bus like you do a bumper car or everyone would be sick!”

            He chuckled and helped me out of my car.

            Nick met up with me and grabbed my hand as we walked around the rest of the fair. We caught a few quick shows and played more games before heading to the buses. Everyone was starting to get tired and it was time to start our journey to Orlando.  

            On the bus Nick and I sat down on the coach in the back room. He looked at me and asked, “Did you have fun today?”

            “I had a blast! What about you?”

            “I had a blast too. We all needed a day like that to get some fresh air and have some fun. What was your favorite part?”

            “I’d have to say the bumper cars. I never knew Billy could be such a crazy driver!”

            Nick laughed, “Thank god he doesn’t drive this big ole bus like that. We’d be puking our brains out.”

            I chuckled, “I said that to him when he helped me out of the car. What was your favorite part of the day?”

            He placed his hand on the side of my face and rubbed his thumb gingerly over my cheek. He grinned and looked me in the eye and answered sweetly, “I don’t really have a favorite part. I just really enjoyed spending the day with my girlfriend. I was really starting to miss Kalie when Lauren was around.”

            I smiled at him, “Just kiss me Sweet Talker.”

            We slowly started to lean into each other and once our lips met we started making out.

            Just as Nick and I were starting to get really passionate AJ burst through the door and exclaimed, “I downloaded all my pictures from today onto my computer and I… want… to… show… you… two. Sorry I interrupted, I’ll come back later.”

            “No AJ it’s ok. I want to see how your pictures came out,” I said.

            AJ sat down next to me and Nick wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

***Nick’s Point of View***

            AJ’s pictures came out really well but I wasn’t focusing on them too much. I just kept thinking of every smile and laugh that came from Kalie’s lips that day and how happy she was as herself not Lauren. I rested my chin on her shoulder as I looked at the slide show AJ was playing. Like I said I wasn’t that focused on the pictures but I was focused on the scent of Kalie’s sweet perfume and the happy presence she had about her. She was herself again and I was delighted to have her back.

            I was starting to put myself in a trance as I thought about how happy she made me today by simply being herself. AJ snapped me out of it when he said, “And this one came out really nice of the two of you under that sign for the Tunnel of Love.”

            This time I actually looked at the picture AJ was showing us and I felt a warm sensation in my chest when I saw it. We were standing under a heart shaped arch holding each other’s hands. My cheek was rested against her forehead and we both had loving smiles on our faces. But Kalie’s made my heart skip a beat.

            “I love it AJ!” she exclaimed.

            “I thought you would. Like it Nick?”

            “Yes I do. I think that’s the best picture of the two of us. Nice job man.”

            “Thanks. I’ll make sure to make both of you a copy of it when I print these. I just need to get more ink and photo paper. I gotta go check on my girlfriend; she’s not feeling too well.”

            “Awe I hope she doesn’t get sick,” Kalie said.

            “Me too. See ya guys later.”

            “Later,” I said. After AJ closed the door behind him I looked back at Kalie who turned on the TV. She flipped on VH1 and we watched the music videos that were playing.

            Two Is Better Than One by Boys Like Girls featuring Taylor Swift came on and Kalie smiled, “I like this song a lot.”

            “I do too. Their harmony is great.”    

            “This song kind of reminds me of us.”

            “Really?”

            She nodded her head. She started singing along with the song lightly and I joined in. Our harmony was perfect! Her amazing voice was throwing my heart into over drive. It felt like I was falling in love with her all over again.  

            I watched her sing as she watched the music video and asked myself Are you really ready to do this?

            She rested her head on my shoulder and I left a tingling sensation run up my spine.

            Yes I am ready. I answered myself. But how am I going to do this?