- Text Size +
There is a knock on my flat door as I stand frantically searching for an outfit to wear. I answer it breathless and frazzled.

“Hey there AJ,” Harry greets.

“Now is NOT a good time!”

He walks in amused. I sigh and go back to flinging my clothes all over.

“What the bloody hell are you doing?”

“Trying to find a bloody outfit to wear to the stupid polo game,”

“Let’s go shopping,” he suggests, lounging on my bed watching my panic.

I blush.

“I don’t exactly have a lot of money to be buying all kinds of outfits.”

He rolls his eyes.

“Whatever. Consider it part of the employment,” he says grabbing my arm.

We head out and it is completely mad! Harry knows exactly what he is doing and is a man on a mission. A couple hours later we are back at my flat with Harry’s choices. I am in nude pumps like Kate wears, and the dress of his choice is a beautiful, knee length white sleeveless dress with navy blue polka dots. It has a wide navy sash and is paired with elegant white gloves and a proper white English hat.

“AJ, we have to get going. What are you doing?” he calls from my bedroom.

I am in my bathroom struggling to zip up the blasted dress.

“Be…right…there!” I call out.

He walks into my bathroom where I am struggling.

“You are shaking like a leaf! Honestly calm down.”

“I am calm,” I lie but my shaking hands refuse to zip myself up.

He gently turns me around and zips up my dress and ties my sash. He pulls on a pearl choker around my throat and slips pearl drop earrings into my ears before pulling my hair half up.

“Are you gay?” I question eyeing him with a frown, annoyed at his calmness.

He laughs and licks his thumb fixing my eye makeup.

“There. You look beautiful.”

I turn away blushing. I put on my hat, and take my clutch.

“Ready?” he asks.

“Ready,” I confirm.

He tucks my arm into his and we get into the car that drives us to the polo match. After we arrive and I take my seat do I start to breathe normally.

“Handsome isn’t he?” a voice asks.

I look over and find that I am seated next to Prince William’s girlfriend Kate Middleton.

“He’s very nice,” I answer her feeling shy again.

“You’re AJ right?” she questions.

I nod and smile holding my hand out.

“Harry talked a lot about you last night. Seems excited to have you working for him,” she says nicely.

“He took pity on me I think.”

“He’s a good guy. Beautiful heart,” Kate said glancing to where William and Harry sat up high on their horses.

I watch them as they get ready.

“How old are you?” Kate asks.

“19,”

“19 and 21. Good ages,” Kate nudges me.

I blush again.

“I just work for him,” I answer softly.

“Oh don’t be upset. I was just teasing. I know you work for him. I just happen to think you would make a cute couple,” Kate says hurriedly.

“You don’t even know me,” I point out.

She goes to answer but the game begins. I always thought polo was supposed to be boring but I am drawn in with the excitement and cheer with the crowd. William and Harry’s team wins and Kate and I are thrilled. She hugs me excited and then races off to William. I watch as them share a sweet embrace and kiss.

“Did you have fun?” a voice interrupts.

I turn and find Harry beaming down at me. He is slightly sweaty, his face flushed with victory.

“You played beautifully,” I say.

He swings an arm around me.

“Come meet William,” he says leading me over.

He introduces me to William who is hugging a beaming and glowing Kate. He is very formal and polite when we are introduced. He gives Harry a look I don’t quite understand then they leave me with Kate as they go shower and change.

“Are you coming for tea with the Queen?”
I sigh and nod. I’d rather go home and hide but I guess I have to meet her sooner rather than later if I am to be working for her grandson.

“Oh don’t be nervous AJ, she is a lovely person,” Kate promises me.

“Kate?”

“Yes?”

“Will working for Harry be hard?”

“Well, he is just one of those guys you know?”

I shrug feeling sad. It wasn’t what I want to hear. I want to be safe with my job, not worry about what seemed to be an unstable attitude. Harry and William came back out.

“Ready?” Harry asks me.

“Um, sure,” I answer softly and follow him.

We get into the car and I grow quiet.

“Anything wrong luv?” he asks nudging me.

“I am not feeling very good,” I answer.

He brushes my brow with his hand checking for fever. He looks at me carefully.

“Did I do something to upset you?” he finally asks.

“No,” I whisper.

We arrive at the palace. He quickly takes my hand leading me to his apartment where my office is also located.

“Tell me what is wrong,” he demands gently closing the door to my office.

“I just feel like I am in over my head,” I explain.

He walks over to me and wraps his arms around me.

“I am in over my head too,” he murmurs as lows his mouth to mine.

We kiss gently, me leaning against the desk, wrapped tightly in Harry’s arms. I have to honestly say that it is the best kiss of my life.
“Feel better?” he whispers leaning his forehead to mine.

My blue eyes meet his confusion written all over my face.

“Harry, did you hire me because you want to take advantage of me?” I question hurt and confused.

“What? No! Of course not. You needed a job. I gave you one,”

“All I have done so far is escort you to a horse game,” I pointed out.

“There is a lot to do AJ and damn it I bloody like you. Why can’t you just accept that?” he asks frustrated.

I draw away.

“Don’t,” he snaps.

“Don’t what?” I ask baffled.

“Don’t pull away from me.”

“You don’t boss me!”

“I hired you. I do boss you!”

I growl frustrated. This is too much. Working for a royal, in a castle, then making out with him. My head is spinning. I react in the worst way. I kick his shin. He yelps in pain grabbing his leg.

“Bloody hell AJ!”

I stand terrified. I can’t believe I just kicked a prince. My eyes fill with tears. He sighs and sits on my desk, rubbing his leg.

“Come here,” he says with a gentle voice.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper.

“It wasn’t your fault,”

I cross my arms and look down.

“Will you stay?” he questions.

I look at him so torn. This is going extremely fast. It is scary for me.
“May I ask why you don’t want to be with me?”

“You’re a prince…”

He sighs frustrated running his hand through his hair.

“Yeah, I get that a lot. Look I am sorry for kissing you. The job will be good ok?” he tells me before walking out.

“This sucks!” I exclaim upset throwing a plastic cup at the wall. “Shit!” I run to get it looking around to make sure no hidden camera saw my tantrum but then again, if they were hidden, I wouldn’t know.

Sighing, I sit at my desk and begin to organize the papers. I have a little time before tea and I really want to get some work done.


A while later, Harry returns to escort me to tea with Kate, William and of course, Queen Elizabeth. I am still nervous but I use my best manners and right now, having my arm tucked into Harry’s, I feel sort of safe.

We enter the tearoom and everyone else is already there.

“Grans, this is Miss. Alexandra Jayne McKenzie,” Harry introduces me.

“Your majesty,” I greet her as calmly as I can and dip into a low curtsy. Thank goodness for all those years I spent training ballet.

“How do you do? Please be seated,” the queen instructs.

Harry and I sit together on a love seat. I cross my ankles and Harry seems pleased with how everything is going. Or maybe he is just pleased that I haven’t fainted. As we take our tea, the queen questions and quizzes me. I am pretty sure I impress her with my knowledge of both American and British history.

“You are a very educated young lady Alexandra,” she says in an approving tone.

I smile modestly at her and can’t help cheer silently in my head. She will probably let me keep my job.

“What about your parents? What do they do?”

“Well my father retired his seat in congress last year due to some heart problems and my mother is…. well, she is a socialite I suppose you can say. She does a lot of charity work and is very friendly with our neighbor Ethel Kennedy. They work a lot together.”
“Would you consider yourself a socialite? A person who works a lot for charity and makes all the society pages or like… Paris Hilton?”

I laugh shaking my head.

“Neither. I do work for my mother’s charities when I am home but I don’t like being in the pages and frankly I can’t stand Paris Hilton or those girls. No, I studied ballet for many years and have gone to boarding school. Right now I am taking what you British say, a gap year I suppose. Not to alarm anyone but I am an anglophile and a royalist. I plan on staying here in England for at least three months and fully study your family history and then I wanted to visit castles in Germany, Spain and Portugal.”

The queen looks amused. She asks a few more questions then talks to Kate and William.

“Grandmother likes you,” Harry whispers in my ear.

“How can you tell?”

“She didn’t order your head off,” he teases.

I pinch his side making him laugh. He tickles my sides and I slap at his hands to make him stop. I notice the other three watching us in amusement. Blushing I sit up and straighten out shooting Harry a dirty look. He winks.

“I am curious though AJ, you said you don’t have a lot of money…”

“I don’t. My parents do. I want to earn my way,”

He looks thoughtful as he nods.