- Text Size +
Whether it was because her hyper vigilance was so sharp or that she happened to be listening to another conversation, Sam was the first to hear the gate door latch squeak.

“Hello.”

AJ’s head jerked up and he saw Ryan and an officer approach the group. They had all known that this was a potential issue but they had let their guard down as the evening passed. It was a massive mistake and the smile on Sam’s husband’s face sent a serious message that they had underestimated him.

“Can I help you?” Kevin said, cutting off any chance that AJ might lose his temper.

“You might be able to.” Ryan said with an evil grin as he handed a photo to Nick. “We’re looking for this woman and we were wondering if any of you had seen her.”

“I already told you no.” AJ hissed, grabbing the picture out of Nick’s hand and shoving it against Ryan’s chest. “I don’t understand why you keep coming here but it’s bordering on harassment.”

Ryan stood there and looked around at the group. Most of them were just sitting there but he noticed Drew suddenly place his hand on a woman’s thigh and he knew in that instant that he was looking at his wife. AJ noticed the motion too and the anger that had started to boil was literally right under the skin and he was afraid he would erupt soon.

“I think I want everyone to see the picture.” Ryan said, showing everyone the photo. “This woman is wanted for murder and if you’ve seen her, you need to tell us. After all, harboring a fugitive is a criminal offense.”

His last statement was directed at AJ but he stared into Sam’s sunglasses when he said it. She tried as hard as she could to not jump up and run into the house; Drew’s hand on her thigh kept her in the chair.

“None of us have seen her.” Kevin replied, making it clear that he spoke for the group. “I’m sorry we can’t help you.”

Ryan sneered but he nodded. “Well then I’ll just see myself out.”

“I’ll be happy to show you out.” AJ spat as he headed for the gate. “It’s this way.”

Kevin had enough sense to follow behind AJ and the other two men. He knew AJ had the potential to explode and he wanted to prevent any major issues. After making sure the two men had pulled off and weren’t heading back, Kevin steered his younger brother into the house and then into the living room.

“You have got to calm down J.”

“Calm down?” AJ yelled. “He’s a piece of shit and he’s coming after her more and more. He’s never going to back down and leave her alone! After this, she’ll probably never agree to leave the house again!”

“I know.” Kevin agreed in a quiet tone. “I didn’t realize it had gotten this bad but I’ll contact one of our lawyers tomorrow and figure out what we can do to keep him away.”

“It won’t matter!” his younger brother ranted. “He’s never going to stop! He really is as crazy as she said he was!”

Kevin slowly sat down in a chair and rubbed his fingertips against his temples gently. He knew the next thing he said was going to push a button, but he had to do it.

“Ryan’s not the only reason you’re mad is it?”

“Of course he is!” AJ shouted. “Why else would I be so pissed?”

“Because of what Drew did.”

AJ’s jaw dropped; he didn’t say anything as he sank down onto the sofa. Kevin finally looked up and stared at him.

“Everyone saw your face and you made it obvious.”

“I didn’t…”

“Yes you did and thankfully Ryan wasn’t looking in your direction. You looked like you wanted to rip Drew’s arm off.”

“No…”

“Yes you did.” Kevin responded with a sigh. “You, and now all of us, know you have feelings for her. I’m pretty sure Nick and Lauren already knew but you made it crystal clear today.”

“Yeah well, she doesn’t feel the same way about me.” AJ muttered as he looked at the floor.

“Are you freaking kidding me right now?” Kevin demanded. “She damn well does have feelings for you.”

“No she doesn’t, I can tell.”

“Then you’re a moron.”

“What did you just say?” AJ said as he started to stand up.

“I called you an idiot and sit down.” Kevin said as he pointed his finger back at the couch. “You have to be completely blind to not see how she feels about you.”

“She doesn’t…”

“Yes she does. Did you see her at all just now or were you too focused on where Drew’s hand was?”

AJ didn’t say anything but leaned back onto the couch and closed his eyes. He knew Kevin had him at this point.

“Let me clue you in.” Kevin started again. “The minute she heard the lock click, her head swiveled to you.”

“Maybe she expected me to…”

“It’s not that!” Kevin said, louder than he had planned. “She wasn’t looking at any of us, just you. She wanted someone safe…”

“That’s all I am.”

Kevin stood up and headed to where AJ was sitting. He shoved him over and sunk down next to him.

“Let me finish. She wanted someone who was safe, someone she trusted. Nick, Lauren or Drew could have protected her but she didn’t look at any of them.”

“She looked at Drew when he put his hand on her.” AJ said with a pout.

“The only reason Drew did that was to keep her from running. It was nothing more than that.”

Kevin let his words sink in a little before he continued.

“Sam has had no one in her corner for years and I don’t blame her for not trusting people. It’s different with you though, I can see it in her eyes. Earlier today, you were the only one making her laugh. You’ve repaired a part of her and even if she hasn’t said it, she cares deeply about you.”

“So what?” AJ asked after a few moments. “She’ll never say it.”

“Give her some time and I think she’ll surprise you.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you to everyone who's been reading! Let me know what you think!