- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize for the huge delay in posting and I hope everyone enjoys this chapter!
A week passed since AJ’s talk with Kevin and Sam still said nothing. In fact, seeing Ryan face to face seemed to frighten her so much that she started retreating back into herself. The nightmares had started again and she was as skittish as she was the first time he came to the house. AJ felt beyond helpless because he had to watch her work through it all over again and he couldn’t do anything.

He convinced Nick and Lauren that Sam needed a relaxing night with friends so he invited them over for a dinner and board games. She was probably going to resist the idea so he didn’t tell her ahead of time that they were coming. They arrived the next night and as much as Sam wanted to hide, she knew she couldn’t be rude. The dinner passed by with Nick and AJ making as much conversation as they could but they all knew Sam’s heart wasn’t in it.

They were deciding what game to play when AJ’s phone sounded. After Ryan’s last stunt, he had set an alert on his phone to let him know when anyone was approaching the house from any point. Opening up the camera, he cursed and slammed his phone down on the counter.

“He’s here again.” he said quietly.

Before Lauren and Nick could even turn to face Sam, she was gone.

“Where’d she go?” Lauren said with fear.

“Don’t worry.” AJ said. “Let’s get rid of him first.”

AJ and Nick made it to the door before the bell could even sound. Kevin had talked to the lawyer and he made it clear that if Ryan or any officer showed up about Sam, they would have the right to press charges for harassment. This was especially the case when one of the men was “dead” and using favors to inflict stress on the guys and their families.

AJ whipped open the door and came face to face with Ryan and the same younger officer he brought to the cookout.

“What do you want?” he demanded.

“Well hello to you too Mr. McLean.” Ryan said with a nasty grin. “I was actually hoping that we could come in and have a little look around. That is if you don’t have a problem with it.”

Nick finally lost his temper. “Look, I don’t know who either one of you are but you are not coming in this house. What you’re doing is harassing this man and frankly, the minute you leave, I’m going to be on the phone to our lawyer and your boss!”

The last comment was directed at the younger man who had actually started to sweat. Ryan lost part of his grin and held his hands up.

“No need to do that. We were just looking for some help.”

“You are NOT getting any help from me, at any point in time.” AJ spat and slammed the door in their face.

He watched them pull out and then called Kevin, who agreed to call the lawyer and discuss the next step. Lauren was pacing back and forth in the kitchen when they came back.

“I can’t find her AJ!” she yelped in a panic. “She’s not anywhere in the house! She wouldn’t leave would she?”

“I know where she is.” AJ said as he placed a hand on Lauren’s shoulder and steered her towards the basement.

Nick and his wife followed AJ down to his studio where he went right into the sound booth and rapt his knuckle against one of the gigantic speakers.

“It’s us Sam.” he whispered. “He’s gone.”

“Are you sure?” Sam asked with an even quieter whisper.

“I’m positive.”

Lauren and Nick heard a few locks click open and they got a look at Sam’s hiding spot at the door swung open.

“When did you do this?” Nick asked in shock.

“Not too long after she moved in.” AJ responded.

He had essentially gutted the two largest speakers he had. One was filled with some cement blocks to make them the same average weight if Sam was in the other. To keep her safer, there were air holes drilled in the back and several garden gate latches installed on the inside that only Sam would have access to. He would have done anything he could do to keep her safe and Nick was impressed by what he saw.

“You really thought this one through J.”

Sam stepped gingerly out of the speaker so as to not knock it over but as soon as she was out, she surprised everyone by grabbing AJ by the waist and pulling herself against him as closely as she could. He could feel her shaking and he wrapped his arms around her tightly.

“Shhh Sam, it’s ok. You’re going to be ok.”

Lauren and Nick took their cue and headed back upstairs to the kitchen leaving AJ to calm Sam down. He stroked her back and kept whispering to her that she was ok. After a few minutes, the shaking started to simmer down and she pulled back slightly. As if she hadn’t stunned them all enough that night, she stood up on her tiptoes and placed a gently kiss on AJ’s lips.

“What’s that for?” he asked as she pulled back to see him.

“For always keeping me safe.” Sam replied with tears in her eyes. “For doing everything you’ve done to make me feel protected.”

AJ’s eyes started to get wet and he squeezed the water out with his fingers. “You don’t have to do this Sam.”

She gently pulled his hand away from his face and looked him directly in the eye. “I’m not just doing this as a thank you.”

To prove her point, she kissed him again with a little more pressure. She wanted to make it clear to him that she was kissing him because she wanted to and not because she felt she had to. She’d made that mistake before and she wouldn’t do it again.