- Text Size +
Sam whipped around as she finally registered the voice. The person waiting behind her flipped on the light switch and stared at her.

“Sarah?” Sam asked astonished. “What are you doing here? You need to leave, Ryan will be here any minute.”

Sam took a step towards her old friend as though to whisk her out of the room before any danger headed her way. As she went to touch Sarah’s arm, her friend took a step back and her lips broke into a malicious smile; the last time she had seen such a cruel facial expression was when Ryan showed up at AJ’s house months ago.

“You don’t need to worry about me, I’ll be fine.” Sarah replied with her sadistic grin growing bigger. “I really don’t need to worry about anything, but you certainly do.”

Backing away slowly, Sam tried to figure out what was going on. Ryan had summoned her there with that taunting note but so far, he was nowhere to be found. Instead, she found a woman who she had literally trusted with her life, standing there looking like a demented clown minus the make-up. Had Ryan gotten to her?

“I can see those wheels spinning Sami.” Sarah said as she dragged the only chair in the room towards the door. “You might want to sit down, this could take a while.”

-----------

“Can’t you drive any faster?”

Drew watched him out of the corner of his eye and decided not to respond to AJ’s outburst; he knew how much pain his friend was in and wished he could do more for him. Sighing, he looked over again and AJ was sitting at the edge of the passenger seat with a white knuckle grip on the door handle.

-----------

Sam stared at the woman who she considered her best friend, almost as if she was a sister, as Sarah took a seat in front of the door. She knew that she had to do something and it seemed to make the most sense to try and make a quick exit to the right of the chair and out the door. Making small steps and moves, Sam prepared to make a run for it.

“I wouldn’t do that.” Sarah said as though she had read her mind. “We’re not done here.’

Sam still felt like it was her only way out and started to make her way towards the door. She stopped however, when Sarah reached behind her and pulled out a small revolver.

“I said that’s not a smart idea.”

She pointed with the barrel of the gun from where Sam was currently standing to the small motel bed. The thought of being trapped in the room with this psychotic woman was not something Sam was seriously considering until Sarah narrowed her eyes, motioned to back and forth to the bed and then cocked the hammer. She knew there was no way she could outrun a bullet so she needed to buy a few minutes until she could figure out what to do. Stepping towards the bed, she stopped at the edge and stood there for a few seconds before Sarah started in again.

“Good. It’s amazing that you are intelligent enough to see what’s in your best interest.”

For the life of her, Sam couldn’t imagine where this woman had come from. Sarah had been her best friend for a large portion of her life and she had come to depend on her during her horrendous marriage to Ryan. This woman had provided a place for Sam to live as well as emotional support; there was no way to reconcile the woman she saw in front of her with the woman she had considered a sister.

“I can tell what’s going on in that thick head of yours.” Sarah smiled as she taunted her. “I know exactly what you’re thinking and maybe I should explain.”

Sam didn’t know how to react to Sarah’s need to tell her what was going on. She felt like she was in the Twilight Zone and had no idea what had happened in the last ten years that would have changed her best friend into this person that was boring holes into her. There was no rhyme or reason for Sarah to suddenly turn on her but, as much as she wanted out of that place, she found herself wanting an answer, some reason for her friend to have done this to her.

“I have one reason for doing this.” Sarah stated as she continued to stare at her former friend. “You ruined my life!”

Sam’s mouth dropped; how in the world had she ruined Sarah’s life.

------------

“AJ, please, sit back.” Drew pleaded with his friend. “You’re not going to be any good to Sam if you can’t calm down.”

“Calm down?” AJ snapped. “Sam’s life is in danger and you can’t seem to drive over the speed limit!”

Drew gripped the wheel tighter; he knew that AJ didn’t mean what he was saying, he was just scared to death about Sam. He knew how much that woman mattered to his friend; God help them if they got there too late.