- Text Size +
The Moonstone Ceiling


Mr. Patra’s Observatory was incredible, even for a magical space. Remus could barely believe his eyes as they walked through lush plants that grew up from the ground. The ceiling was bewitched to mimic the sky outside, Mr. Patra said, the same as it was at Hogwarts School. Mr. Patra had what seemed like miles and miles of gardens with all sorts of fantastic creatures, mostly small creatures, peeking from ‘round leaves and flower petals at them. Loads of bowtruckles fluttered about after Mr. Patra, and there was a bird with colourful wings that flew over and landed upon his shoulder. Mr. Patra stroked the bird’s feathers as he walked.

“Do you have any larger beasts, Mr. Patra, or are they all small?” Sirius looked at one of the bowtruckles that was tugging at a wooden button on the observatory keeper’s drab robes.

“Never underestimate a creature by its size,” Newt Scamander said, smirking at Sirius, his eyes twinkling. “You just never do know the power it may possess. Many do not realize that even the smallest beings can possess great power.”

“Well said Um Newt,” said Mr. Patra, using the Arabic formality. He smiled at Sirius. “I do, however, have much bigger creatures, if you’d like to see?”

Sirius glanced at Remus, grinned, then nodded heartily.

“Well then, come along,” Mr. Patra said.

At the far side of the observatory from the doorway in which they’d come, Mr. Patra sent the bird on his shoulder off to flying, and he ushered the lot of them into a glass elevator cart. Remus closed his eyes, feeling a bit woozy as the cart shot up from the ground, the gardens stretching below them as they went on through the ceiling and into another level of the observatory.

“This one’s all my jungle beasts,” said Mr. Patra, and the doors opened and their ears were filled with the sounds of shrieking calls, like monkeys but not quite, and long snakes drooped and hung from trees with large, waxy leaves that were heavy with condensation. There was one creature with a long tail and claws with a tired sort of smile and a wide grin that Sirius pointed to and whispered to Remus, “Look at that, Moony! Don’t you reckon that it looks rather a lot like James looked when he was high?” He snickered, “Blimey, I wish I had a camera…”

Remus grinned.

They saw a good many interesting creatures on that level, including a creature called a Snorocosax, which was a sort of magical elephant that could play music from its trunk like a saxophone.

The next level up was a wide desert area surrounded with wide dunes and lush trees - at the far side was cluster of straw that had been bundled together to create a sort of messy nest, dotted with large rocks, set beside a wide pond of standing water… At first neither Sirius nor Remus could see what lived in the habitat, until suddenly a dragon swept over their heads, flying with wide wings, his long green tail flowing out behind him, a smaller dragon flying in his immediate shadow. A baby dragon!

Sirius’s eyes widened, “Merlin’s bloody beard!!!” he cried, “Would you look at that?! Look at that, Rey! Just look!” Sirius was jumping up and down and pointing in excitement. “Blimey!”

Remus laughed, “Bloody hell, I see it Sirius, I’m not blind.”

“BUT LOOK AT IT MOONY!!”

“That’s a Green Welsh,” said Newt Scamander, “Very, uh, lovely dragons. The welsh.”

“You know your dragons, sir,” Mr. Patra said.

Mr. Scamander nodded, “Yes, yes, oh yes. I spent a good many years categorizing them.”

Mr. Patra smiled, “There’s a few other breeds I’ve got, but they were about to lay eggs and as much as I love my beasts, I knew better than to try and take care of pregnant dragons! I’ve sent them to Romania to be cared for until their young are old enough to travel back.”

“That sounds brilliant,” said Remus. “Why Romania?”

“Best dragon training program in the whole university system, aren’t they?” Mr. Patra asked offhandedly.

Sirius stared across the habitat at the dragons, which had settled themselves at the edge of the pond. The baby was in the pond, splashing about in the water as the older dragon drank deep gulps of the water that made the whole pool shiver. He looked at Mr. Patra, “Do you ever ride them?” he asked, wide-eyed.

Mr. Patra smiled at Sirius’s enthusiasm, “Now and again. But only a skilled tamer can ride a dragon. For anyone else, this would be folly and certain death.”

Remus looked over at him, “Do not ever - and I mean ever, Sirius - attempt to ride a bloody dragon.”

Sirius looked disappointed. “Ever?”

“Unless you’ve plans of going to dragon school in Romania. And even then, we’ll need to talk about it first.”

Sirius grinned. “Dragon school, yeah that sounds… explosively awesome.”

Remus looked worried and shook his head.

“Perhaps we should look at the next level?” suggested Ned Veigler, smirking at Remus’s worried expression.

So they returned to the glass elevator and loaded in and Mr. Patra said, “Next is the level the dear Charkorais belong in… it’s my crowning glory here… Our moonstone ceiling.”

“Moonstone ceiling?” asked Mr. Scamander.

“Yes,” Mr. Patra was clearly quite proud as lights in the ceiling of the glass elevator flickered on and they passed into a dark tunnel. “As you lot are aware, the Charkorais require the light of the full moon to be seen… Well, it won’t do to have an observatory in which you cannot observe your creatures… and so we’ve covered the entire ceiling with moonstone, which simulates ---”

“The full moon,” whispered Newt and he spun about, “Wait. Wait. Stop the cart. Quickly!”

Mr. Patra looked utterly confused - but not for long - for it was too late and even though he reached for the reverse lever, the cart emerged from the tunnel and the glory of the purple-silver moon filled the cart. Ned Veigler and Remus Lupin both fell to their knees, their skin bubbling, bursting with fur - their eyes wide, pupils dilating.

Mr. Patra looked quite horrified. “What --”

“Werewolves!” Newt explained hurriedly.

Sirius gasped, realizing Remus was changing, and he grabbed onto the front of his Moony, holding him up, clutching him, staring into his eyes, even as they changed and became… not Remus’s eyes, “REMUS… Remus, you’re you. You’re you, you’re Remus Lupin, not a wolf,” he whispered frantically as Mr. Patra hurried to reverse the cart. “This heart is where you belong, Rey! This heart, right here, with me! Don’t leave me, remember? Don’t leave.” He was frantic.

“Open the doors!” Tina Scamander shouted, “Quickly!”

Mr. Patra did, and he, Tina, and Newt hurried out of the cart. “SIRIUS!” shouted Tina, “GET OUT OF THERE!” For Sirius was still clutching Remus - even as he burst into wolf…

“Go!” Sirius cried, waving them off, “I’ll be okay. Just go without me!”

He’d change into a dog - he thought, he’d be there for Remus now, the same as he would be on any full moon, he’d make everything okay, and as quickly as he could he’d get Remus out of this horrible full moon room and get his Remus back… But Newt Scamander was far too much a hero to allow a boy to stay behind to face the werewolf, and he dove forward into the cart, grabbing onto Sirius and trying to tear him away from Remus as Remus’s boyish cries melted into the sound of a wolf - the long, drawn out howl blending with Veigler’s…

And then Veigler’s wolf was on his feet…

And Newt was still there, still pulling Sirius away…

“NO!” Sirius yelled.

For Ned Veigler had leaped at Newt Scamander - his teeth bared.




Severus Snape stood tall and straight backed in the library of Malfoy Manor. The Dark Lord sat in the plush chair before the fire, gripping the handrests and looking much like a king. He stared down his nose as Lucius Malfoy approached, clutching the chain of the amber locket. “My Lord,” he simpered, bowing down, “I have found the locket as you requested.”

Severus cleared his throat.

We have found the locket,” Lucius corrected.

The Dark Lord reached out, taking it, clutching it in his hands and musing quietly, “Very good, yes. I had asked Miss. Prince to guard it for me, and so she has done. Very good.” He slid the locket in his pocket gently, petting it as though it were a pet. He glanced up at Severus. “One day, perhaps, you, too, shall be as trustworthy.”

Severus shifted his weight.

“Why do you block your mind, Severus?”

“I don’t, sir, I am a natural occlumens,” Severus said, “I told you, there are some minds that are impenetrable. No matter how excellent… and advanced… and impressive… your skills at legilimency may be, sir.”

Seeming appeased by the compliments, Voldemort turned back to Lucius Malfoy. “Now… I require someone else to be the guardian of my precious belongings,” he mused.

“Yes, my Lord?” asked Lucius, nearly breathless.

“Someone I trust, someone who will not betray me,” Voldemort mused.

Lucius was practically salivating.

“Bring me Walburga Black,” he commanded.

Lucius looked let down, like his dreams had been shattered.

The Dark Lord barked, “NOW, MALFOY!”

Lucius leaped up and ran from the room.

Severus stood very still, watching as a house elf came in and put a platter before Voldemort, carrying a steaming goblet of potion. Severus breathed gently and recognized it as a draught to ease pains of the joints.

“Death does not become me, Severus,” mused Voldemort. “Which is why I have decided not to allow it to claim me. I will never die, Severus, unlike your dear Mother.” He smirked almost, his face dark.

Severus swallowed back the urge to curse the Dark Lord. Eileen Prince’s death was nothing to sneer over as he was doing. She deserved honor…

Voldemort lifted the goblet and drank deeply, quickly, and the elf collected the empty cup and tray when he was finished, scurrying out of the room. The Dark Lord looked up at Severus. “Can you think of any greater power, Mr. Snape, than immortality? The power to defeat Death himself?”

Severus shook his head, “No sir.”

Voldemort smiled deeply. “Nor can I, Severus. Nor can I.”

A shiver went down Severus Snape’s spine at the thought. A life without death… was it possible? Was such a power attainable? Could the Dark Arts truly afford such a thing? He felt a sudden rush of reverence. Surely a man who could stop death might have power to bring another back from it? He thought of his mother. Oh to be so powerful… surely that sort of power would command respect, dignity… would silence bullies... and, as a bonus, might even impress certain ginger haired witches… perhaps persuade them to take notice...

And Severus leaned took a step closer toward the Dark Lord, intrigued as he’d never been before.