- Text Size +
Nick walked down the hallway of the ship, coming to rest in the sleeping quarters. They were not far from the Moon and he would not have time to rest but he did not want to be near Brian right now, especially after the blow up he just had. Sitting down on the bed attached to the wall, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Nothing that had happened in the last week had made any sense at all. He did not remember anything and all it did was make things worse. All he wanted to do was sleep. Maybe he would wake up from this nightmare…..




“Nick?”

Nick did not realize he’d even closed his eyes when he heard Kevin’s voice in the doorway. He sat up and stretched, surprised to see him there.

“What do you want?” Nick snapped. It was like when he’d woken on Sienna’s ship. Who could he trust, he had no memories of his life before. Only bits and pieces and he wasn’t even sure if they were real or not. For all he knew everyone could be lying, even Brian. Brian had spent so much of their time so far lying and hiding...the possibility of that seemed highly likely to Nick.

“I wanted to check on you. Brian didn’t know where you went but he was worried when he couldn’t...er….when he…”

“When he what?”

“Brian couldn’t feel you out. He sensed that you were still angry.” Kevin said. He immediately regretted saying anything once Nick’s expression changed.

“Feel me out? Sense my anger? What does that even mean? What is he hiding from me, is it about our powers? You’re his cousin. I just want everyone to stop hiding shit and be fucking honest.” Nick said, resting his feet on the floor in front of him.

“He hasn’t told you?” Kevin asked. He felt angry because of all the times he’d told Brian to teach Nick about his powers...Brian had not done it at all. No wonder Nick was acting the way he was. Now it all made sense.

“Told me what?”

“Do you remember living on that island with Brian? When you and him fled the war and went there after the initial attack on our base….he was given specific instructions to teach you how to use your powers. All he kept saying was that you’d be happier not knowing and that the two of you could finally live a normal and peaceful life. That you and him could just be together without worrying about anything. He has no idea what he’s done by not teaching you like I asked him.” Kevin explained. Nick rubbed his head again, feeling a throbbing pain there. Memories of them happy on the beach, going fishing and just having a great time on that island….was it all a distraction? Brian had lied to him for longer than he’d thought.

“Does Brian have powers too?” Nick asked although he had his suspicions. Brian always seemed to know what he was thinking or was about to do and he never gave him a straight answer when asked why.

“Yes, he does. He’s an empath.” Kevin sighed. He was hoping by exposing Brian for lying would make Nick distrust him and as a result, drive them further apart.

“Empath? So is that how he always knows what I am thinking? There was this time I do remember...on the island. I’d hurt myself and I tried to hide it from him because I didn’t want him to worry about me. He knew right away what had happened without me even telling him and I never understood how he knew. Why didn’t he just tell me?”

“Because he did not want you to live with the burden of knowing that was why he got sick all the time. Your emotions affect his. When you’re scared or hurt, he hurts but more intensely. When you’re angry he can feel hot like a fire burning and it brings headaches. But when you and him are happy and at peace he feels fine. I think that is why he wanted so badly to take you away from the war. When you were both on the base, he was sick all the time. He often fought me because we wanted to teach you to use your healing abilities and he felt that we were using you somehow. The day you left, we had a huge argument and I asked him to please teach you..at least tell you everything but he refused.” Kevin explained. Nick nodded but still did not understand how he could make Brian so sick to the point where he almost died. Maybe it was better if they separated after all. He wouldn’t hurt him anymore or be a burden on anyone.

“I wish he would have told me. I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting. It’s been a crazy couple of days for me and I don’t remember anything at all. Nobody understands.”

“I know, Nick. Brian was being selfish and it’s not your fault. He should have been honest with you.” Kevin said, hiding how happy he felt that his plan was working. Nick was easy to manipulate with his memories gone. He was very fortunate not to remember all the tests they’d done on him or the amount of times he slept in the science lab while they tried to figure out his powers. Brian fought them many times on this because he wanted Nick to be free. Kevin always got his way because he was Nick’s guardian.

“There you two are. We are almost at the Moon. We should prepare for landing…” Brian called from the doorway.

Nick rolled his eyes and brushed past him, hitting him with his shoulder as he went by. Brian was taken aback by his sudden coldness, feeling it wash over him like he had just been dunked in ice water. He tried his best to shake the feeling away but it made his anxiety flare up.

“What did you tell him?” Brian demanded, blocking the doorway so Kevin couldn’t get through.

“The truth. You should try doing that sometime.” Kevin said, dropping his voice to a whisper. Brian watched the two of them walk away and could already feel a change in the way Nick looked at him...what exactly did his cousin tell him and why was it affecting their emotions so rapidly?

Brian returned to the cockpit of the ship and strapped himself in, adjusting the controls and preparing for landing. Nick sat next to him and Kevin behind the two of them. Nick was not trying to catch his eye and Brian couldn’t even read his thoughts, something that had never happened before. It was then that he knew what Kevin had told him.

Kevin was trying to drive them apart, for what he did not know...but it was working.

He just hope he could fix it again before it was too late.