- Text Size +
Sitting together in the room, Brian’s head was swimming as he looked at Nick. He was scared but at the same time he knew that Nick deserved to know everything….everything from the very beginning. When they lived on the island many times he wondered how this conversation was going to happen. He’d thought about telling him so many times over dinner around the campfire. Nick had no idea who he was or where he came from, but Kevin had told Brian the story. How his dad had found Nick and about his power, his parents being murdered, about him being the last Healer and how hiding him was the right thing to do. Brian was all for this, as he wanted to be away from the war and alone with Nick where they’d be happy. He hated being an Empath more than anything and wished he never could read emotions at all. His emotions constantly got in the way of doing the right thing.

“So….” Nick said, wiping his eyes and staring at Brian.

Brian sighed. “It all started when we were attacked the first time, I suppose. I was very young. I don’t remember because of how little I was, but I remember Kevin carrying me and a lot of smoke. I was sick a lot. Nobody seemed to know why but I spent a lot of time in the infirmary.”

“Why were you so sick?”

“Nobody knew. They were doing tests on me all the time and one day they found you in there with me, I was better like nothing had ever happened. You just showed up next to me.”

“I showed up?”

“I don’t know else how to describe it. All of a sudden you were just with me all the time, and Kevin would be nervous about Sienna finding us. She wanted you because of your power. We grew up together. We moved a few times, to different bases and Kevin always had bags packed in case we had to leave. The military hid us until Kevin told me to take you away from where we were. He said the further away we were from other people the safer we would be.”

Nick sat in silence, nodding as he listened to Brian.

“She wanted me? Why does Sienna want me, Brian? Why does she want to take me away? Is that why she had me on her ship, because of my powers?”

“I’m afraid that’s exactly why she wants you, Nick.”

“Kevin told me you’re an Empath. Is that how you always know what I’m thinking before I say it? Like that time I cut myself and tried to hide it from you?”

Brian gave him a curious look, it was the first time Nick had tried to remember anything and he remembered the night at the campfire when Brian had fixed his wounds from fishing. He smiled.

“Yes...it is. I meant to tell you so many times, but I didn’t know if you’d understand. I wanted you to be happy and that’s what we were. Happy and away from the war, away from anything that could hurt you. I protected you...kept you safe like Kevin wanted me to do.”

“How did we end up on Sienna’s ship? She said we had an accident?” Nick asked.

Brian looked at his feet, sighing as his eyes teared thinking about the next part of the story.

“On New Year’s Eve...we were attacked….well, Earth was attacked. It was on TV. Kevin told me to take you and run….to hide and teach you about your powers. He told me that you were important and we couldn’t afford to lose you….I didn’t have time to ask a lot about it. I just know you’re a Healer.”

“A Healer?”

“Yes. You’re the last of your kind, Nick. All the others were killed because they were in hiding from Sienna. Kevin’s dad found you after they were attacked and brought you back with him. They didn’t know if you were like your parents but they did all kinds of tests on you and your powers didn’t show right away so Kevin told me to help teach you. I wasn’t ready for that responsibility so I just never told you and I’m sorry for that. . I fought them so many times on all the testing they were doing. You deserved to live a peaceful life like we did on that island, before it was taken from us…” Brian said softly, his eyes swimming now.




A sky filled with stars and a crackling campfire….the two of them laying near the fire just listening to the sound of the waves as they looked up at the night sky. It was so peaceful that night. The last night in their home so they would find out the next day. However in this moment, things were perfect. Completely perfect.

“Brian?”

“Yes?”

“Are we ever going to be able to go back home?” Nick asked suddenly. The two of them sat up then, brushing errant grains of sand off their arms that was stuck from laying in the sand for so long.

“Don’t you like it here?” Brian asked tentatively.

“Oh, I do. I love it here…..but…”

Nick was silent for a few moments, looking out at the moonlight shining on the water glittering like a pile of diamonds. He could feel uneasy and he wasn’t sure why but something did not feel right at all. Something was about to happen.

“I just have this feeling that something is coming.” he said finally as the waves crashed again in front of them. Brian stared into the campfire, he wanted so badly to tell Nick then and he couldn’t bring himself to. Nick was happy and better off not knowing about his powers now.

The two of them went to sleep that night, as the ocean crashed in the distance, without a care in the world. Until the next morning.

“Nick….Nick...we have to go. Get up.”

Nick opened one eye, moaning softly. It was barely dawn and Brian was shaking him urgently to wake up.

“What’s going on?”

Brian ran to the window of their little hut, peering out as if he were looking for something. He ran back over and helped Nick out of bed, grabbing a bag they always had packed in case they had to flee. The bag contained some clothes and emergency food and they never had to use it until now. Nick slipped on his shoes and followed Brian, who pulled him by the hand forcefully into the nearby jungle.

“Brian…” Nick asked, trying to yank his hand away. He was barely awake and Brian had not yet explained anything except that they were going to their ship. The ship was hidden in the jungle, heavily camouflaged in a grove of trees. It was always ready in case they had to leave suddenly.

“Nick, I do not have time to explain right now. We have to go. We are not safe here.”

All of a sudden they heard shots firing in the distance and it became real.

They were being hunted.

Nick looked fearfully behind him and hurried onto the ship after Brian, his heart beating fast as they prepared to take off.



“So we left the island to escape what exactly?” Nick asked after listening to Brian speak for a while. He didn’t remember any of this or even leaving the island, let alone leaving Earth.

“Sienna had found out where we were. We had to leave because she was looking for you and it was my responsibility to protect you. I had to make sure you got out of there….so we left.”

“I see.”

Brian could sense that Nick felt uneasy because he was trying to remember. He was frustrated and upset. His own heart ached knowing how upset Nick was. Sometimes he wished that he didn’t remember anything because knowing what happened while Nick didn’t was a huge burden.

“NIck, I…”

Brian did not get to finish his sentence because AJ and Kevin ran into the room looking panicked.

“We have to hide you both. She’s coming…..”