- Text Size +
December 3rd, 2017
Santa Clarita, California
8 AM

“Babe, are you sure you’re alright? We can always wait until…”

“Kevin I promise, I’ll be fine.”

Kristin Richardson glanced over her shoulder, her husband keeping a watchful eye as she bent over to check Mason and Max’s duffel bag. Her rounded belly would make it difficult to accomplish for some expectant mothers, but after being a Rockette and being pregnant with two other babies, this was child’s play.

“The boys have been so excited.” She continued as she zipped the bag closed. “Plus when will be the next time all of us can spend a week together up in the snow?”

After weeks of negotiating schedules and finding the right venue, the entire Backstreet family was going to vacation in Big Bear together. It had taken months of discussion and working around each other’s separate schedules, but they were finally making it happen.

______________

When Kevin and Kristin found out they were having a third baby, which they hadn’t even thought would be possible given their struggles in the past, they couldn’t have been more blessed. Another little miracle to call their own!
And only a month earlier A.J. and Rochelle had welcomed their second daughter Sasha, further executing the McLean family as the one with the only “Backstreet Girls”.

However, now with another one already on the way, there was a good chance that would change. Kristin knew how much her husband wanted a daughter of his own, but just like they had with Max and Mason, they decided not to find out the gender until the birth itself.

Now they were only three weeks away from the due date, and despite some Braxton Hicks contractions two days before and apprehensions from everyone else, Kristin was determined to make the trip. No “but”s about it.


Highway 210
Glendora, CA
11:27 AM

“Daddy, Mommy, when we get there can I show Sasha how to make a snow angel?”

“I don’t think so Ava,” A.J. eyed his daughter from the rear view mirror. “Your sister’s still too little; I don’t think she’s ready for that yet.”

“That’s what you said about Odin!” she slumped in her car seat, whining. “If Sasha’s not, when is he?!”

A.J. exchanged glances with Rochelle- this trip was sure to be a handful with all these kids under one roof.

There was fifteen year old Baylee, ten year old Mason, and eight year old James. Then there was Ava of course, now five, Max and Holden who were both four, twenty month old Odin, and last but not least their ten month old Sasha.

“Hope that place really does have enough space for all of us.” A.J. murmured.

“I know,” Rochelle replied not taking her eyes off the road. “If it’s hard enough hearing our little girl like this, imagine the other five that’ll be running around.”

“Well, five and a half, if you count Odin. Nick says he’s been picking up the pace since September.”

A.J. drummed his fingers across the ledge of his window. “Man…how can time go by so fast, babe?”


Big Bear Airport L35
Big Bear, CA
12 PM

Leighanne pulled along hers and Brian’s suitcases as her husband managed their carry-ons, with Baylee keeping track of his own luggage as they navigated their way through the crowds of the exit terminal.

“The Uber should be here in five minutes,” Brian said, slipping his cell phone back into his jacket.

“Oh, good. Do you have the map to the cabin set up?” Leighanne asked as they stepped onto the escalator. “I got it, baby. Don’t sweat it,” he nodded.

ZZZ. ZZZ. ZZZ. Brian’s iPhone vibrated against the rim of his coat pocket. He reached for it and pressed the call button.

“Hello?”

“Brian! What’s up, bro?”

“Howie, hey! We landed about fifteen ago. Don’t worry, we’ve got an Uber coming.”

“That’s fine, dude,” Howie said. “But I just wanted you to know we’re doing a grocery run with Kevin and Kristin before we make it to the house. It’s a pretty heavy snowfall out here, we thought we’d get all of that out of the way before getting up there.”
Why don’t you meet us at the shopping center and you can ride with us the rest of the way?”

“Sounds fine. I guess I can add a second map; just send me the address and we’ll be there as soon as we can.”

“Cool, man. See you soon!”

As the conversation ended, the Littrell’s could spot the entrance/exit to the pick-up curb. The moment Howie hung up, the Uber icon popped up on Brian’s screen.

“Car’s here,” he told his wife and son, “and there’s been a change of plans…”


Vons Market
Big Bear, CA
1:48 PM

Mason carried a bag of pretzels and potato chips over to the cart.
“Woah buddy, it’s one or the other,” Kevin shook his head.

Kristin chuckled, keeping the shopping cart steady as Max stood on the rail shifting his weight forward and back.
“Sweetie, please hold still for just a minute.” She told him clasping her hand over his. It was never easy bringing her youngest boy shopping anywhere; he was always so antsy.

A sudden sharp twinge in her lower back pulled her attention away from her four year old. Kevin was walking back over with Mason, now with just the bag of pretzels.

“Kris?” he immediately went to her side. “Honey, I’m fine,” she insisted, pushing his hand away. “Just something in my back.”

“You sure?”

“Kevin, yes! Now please, just relax,” Kristin nodded, smoothing her hand over her belly.“You’re just about driving your daddy insane, you know that kid?” she smirked.

Just then Howie and Leigh were at the end of the aisle with their sons and carrying two shopping baskets.

“Hey, so Brian just texted me,” Howie told them. “They’re just a block away. We’re gonna go check out; you guys almost ready?”

“Just about,” Kevin motioned to their overloaded cart. “Pretty sure we have enough stuff to last a full week.”
“Mason, you be Dad’s helper at the register, okay?” Kristin told her oldest as she led Max by the shoulder. “Come on sweetie, we’ll go meet Uncle Brian and Aunt Leighanne outside.”

In a matter of minutes, the Littrell’s arrived. After exchanging many hugs and packing the trunks of the Richardson’s and Dorough’s cars with all the groceries, the families were back on their way.


Skyline Drive
Just outside Moonridge
3:07 PM

Nick focused his camera on Odin, holding onto Lauren’s hands, giggling and stamping through the snowbank in his tiny blue snow boots.

“Odin, come on. Look over at Daddy!”
His son’s big blue eyes finally glanced up along with an adorable grin. Nick smiled at his wife and little boy and snapped the picture.

“Babe, it’s been a while. Don’t you think we should call them and make sure they’re not lost?” Lauren lifted Odin into her arms and carried him back over to their car parked alongside the icy road.

“I think that’d be best,” her husband agreed. “I’ll grab my phone and we can warm up in the car.”

As they opened the side door and settled Odin into his car seat, there was the blare of a car horn from behind them. Turning around they saw a lineup of the rest of the Backstreet Boys’ with their families.

“Bro, we’re seriously only five minutes away from the place,” A.J. called from his window. “You really wanna be an ice sculpture?”
“Real funny, man.” Nick rolled his eyes.

Once the Carter’s were all settled in the car, they followed behind the others, finally about to arrive at their winter wonderland retreat.

For the Backstreet family, the fun was just beginning.

Chapter End Notes:
Just saying, I have no idea if Kevin and Kristin can or even will have another child- I just thought it'd be a good storyline.

Plus, AJ and Rochelle haven't announced their next daughter's name; I just like the name Sasha- I think it fits with McLean