- Text Size +
Faithfully,
Chapter 21
By Dottie
Copyright 2016

Jessi’s POV

The anesthesia they gave me for the C-section was mild. I’m drowsy, but I know everything that’s going on. Alex left to take Todd back to the house for a dry diaper and dry clothes. His leaky diaper didn’t make him very happy at all. Nick and Hanna Jo are right beside when the doctor comes in to begin. “OK Jessi, ready to meet Haley Jo?”

I nod quickly. “Yes! Are you sure she’s ok?”

He nods. “Everything looks good. Your blood pressure is up a bit, but not dangerous. We’ll re-assess everything after the birth.” He looks up at Nick. “Ready Dad?”

I look up at Nick and he meets my gaze. “I’m as ready as I can be.”

I smile at him and whisper, “Thank you.” I turn my eyes to Hanna Jo. “I’m glad you’re here Ho Jo. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for Todd.”

She wipes her eyes before brushing away my own tears. “Shut up Jessi.”

In less than half an hour I’m watching as my baby girl is placed on my chest. She’s screaming at the top of her lungs and I’m savoring every sound. I bring my hand up to touch her hand. “Oh you’re so beautiful.”

I barely hear the doctor say, “Nick, come here. You can cut the umbilical cord.”

I watch as they give Nick scissors and show him where to cut. I can tell he’s nervous, but I see something more. In this moment I see my Nick. The Nick I fell in love with. The Nick that drove me wild and made my heart race. I blink back tears as he reaches out and touches Haley Jo’s hand. Our eyes meet and he whispers, “Thank you.”

I manage a tired smile. “She’s going to sing like you. Listen.”

Hanna Jo chuckles. “Todd was the same way. Maybe they can work together.”

I turn to Hanna Jo. “Love you Ho Jo.”

She bends down and kisses the side of my face. “Love you too Jessi. I’m SO glad you’re back.”

I drag my gaze back to Nick as they take Haley Jo to clean her up. “I’m glad we’re all back together.” He gives me a small smile and I whisper softly, “I love you.”

He leans over me, capturing my gaze with his. For the first time in a long, long time I see love burning in his eyes again. “I love you too.” He kisses me softly. When he pulls back, he manages to murmur, “I’ll never leave you Jessi. And I’ll never ever stop loving you.”


An hour later, I’m lying in my private room with Haley Jo in my arms. She looks like Nick, although they all swear she has my nose. She weighed 5 pounds, 8 ounces and was barely 18 inches long. I play with her fingers and whisper, “You have to grow tall little girl. Life as a short person isn’t easy.”

I thought Nick was asleep in the chair by the window so when he speaks, I jump. “You’re perfect Jessi. And so is our little girl.”

I glance over at him, watching him stretch as he sits up. I smile and say, “She is perfect.”

He moves to the bed and sits beside me. I lean over enough to place her in his arms. He looks down at her and smiles. “She’s so beautiful.” Meeting my gaze, he says, “In case I forgot to say it, I’m really glad we’re here together.”

I nod, knowing what he’s saying. “I’m glad she’s not his either.” His smile fades and I whisper, “Nick, Dr. Nguyen is right. What he did to me doesn’t matter. It’s not what’s important. You and me…that’s important. Our family is important. What he did…I’m over. I just need you to forgive yourself. Please.”

He brings Haley Jo up and kisses her forehead gently. “I’m trying Jessi. It’s not easy, but I won’t lose you. I won’t allow him to win like that. It’s just going to take me time.”

I nod eagerly. “I understand. I just…please don’t give up. I don’t know if I can live without you.”

He leans closer to me and kisses me softly. “I won’t give you up Jessi.” He sits up. “So, you want to go live with Hanna Jo and AJ in Canada?”

She nods eagerly. “I do.” Her smile fades. “I’m not so sure about working with them. I think Hanna Jo and I would drive each other crazy.”

He laughs. “You don’t have to work with them. You don’t have to work at all.”

I look at him skeptically. “What are you saying?”

He moves to put Haley Jo in her bassinet. When he comes back he says, “Can I hold you Jessi? We need to talk.”

I scoot over gingerly, turning up onto my side. Once he’s stretched out beside me and I’m cradled on his chest, I look up at him and say, “What’s wrong?”

He kisses my forehead. “Nothing. I’ve been working on something with AJ.”

I see the sparkle in his eyes and I almost lose my breath. “What?”

He blinks twice before saying, “There’s a vineyard that borders their bed and breakfast. It’s for sell. Well, it was. With AJ’s help, I put in a bid and it was accepted. In a few weeks, it will be ours.”

Now I’m beyond confused. “Ours? Why? I mean…”

He chuckles. “Jessi, you’re not meant to work at a Bed and Breakfast, even though I’m sure it’s nice. You need something of your own, we both do. I know you dabbled at making your own wine before we met. Well, now we’re going to do it on a grander scale.”

My mouth drops. “What? We’re what?”

He laughs at me. “The winery is established. We’ll keep producing as they have been, but when you’re ready, we’re going to make new wines. Our wines. Something that will be just ours. And we’ll be close to AJ and Hanna Jo. The kids can grow up together playing in the vineyard. What do you think?”

I slide my hand up his chest to his neck and I whisper, “I think it’s incredible.” He squeezes me gently and I whisper, “I love you Nick. Every part of me loves you and I will always love you.”

He kisses me before whispering, “That’s how much I love you.” He closes his eyes briefly. When he opens them, he whispers, “Jessi, I’m not saying this just so Donnie won’t win. I’m saying it because I mean it. I love you with all I have in me. My heart has been yours since I walked into that airport lounge and laid eyes on you. You stole my breath, you drove me insane, and you captured my heart.”

Tears slide down my face soaking his shirt. I whisper softly, “Nick…that’s beautiful.”

He brushes away the tears on my cheek with his thumb. “It’s the truth. YOU are beautiful.”

I lean closer and kiss him. “The vineyard sounds wonderful Nick. Thank you.”

He pulls back and looks into my eyes. I see mischief in his eyes as he says, “It’s gonna be good Jessi. For both of us. It will be fun. We’ll live our lives to the fullest just like Dr. Nguyen said we should. I promise.”

Feeling a lot braver than I have in months I slide my hand up his side and whisper, “Nick…when we’re ready…will you do something for me?” He nods firmly. I chew on my lip briefly, watching his eyes move down to my lips. When his gaze comes back to mine, I whisper, “I want to make love with you in the vineyard.”

I see the fire in his eyes again. The same passion that made me feel things I never thought I’d feel. He kisses my nose and whispers, “Anything for you, Baby. Anything for you.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! :)