- Text Size +
Faithfully
Chapter 6
By Dottie
Copyright 2016

I'm staring at Hanna Jo, trying to figure out where to begin when my phone rings. I jump, startled by the sound. I reach for it, feeling apprehensive about telling her the details of Donnie's attack. When I see Thad's number on the screen, I feel relieved that I can put off the inquisition for at least a few minutes.

Throwing her an apologetic glance I connect the call. "Hello Thad."

He doesn't mince words. "Jessi...we got the DNA results back."

When doubt about the parentage of my baby came up, Thad petitioned for a court order to do a DNA comparison to Donnie. They said it would take a week or two to get the results. I feel my body tense up and I whisper, "And?"

He pauses briefly, which makes me want to scream. Until he says, "Donnie is not the father of your baby."

I feel weak. I rub my stomach, causing Hanna Jo to lean closer to me. "What is it Jessi? What's wrong?"

I feel my lip tremble. "Are you sure Thad?"

He sounds happy when he says, "There is a zero percent chance it's Wahlberg's. You're carrying Nick's baby."

Tears leak from my eyes and roll down my cheeks as I whisper, "Thank you." I end the call and look at Hanna Jo. "It's Nick's baby."

Her smile brightens the room and she hugs me tightly. "Oh thank God!" When we part, she whispers, "What are you going to do?"

I feel so relieved and so confused. "I...I don't know Ho Jo. There's so much I didn't know...and it all makes sense now. I couldn't understand why he would...just...let Donnie do what he did. Because of money."

Hanna Jo wipes away her own tears. "Jessi, if you had known Donnie had us you would have given in to him, wouldn't you?" I nod slowly. I'd do anything to protect the people I love. She whispers, "That's why. He wanted you to fight."

I spend another week mulling over what to do. Now that I know the story…the whole story…I can’t help but feel that there may be hope for Nick and me. But what Donnie did to me on that boat will forever haunt me. Thankfully, Hanna Jo stopped asking for details. When the trial happens, every ugly detail will come to light…because it is all in my deposition.

I can’t help but think how much I owe to Thad. He got the court’s permission to let me video tape my testimony. Donnie’s attorneys were given ample opportunity to cross examine me, but they never came forward with any questions they want answered. Thad says it’s because they know the evidence against Donnie is overwhelming. Every part of me hopes he plea bargains and this goes away silently. I just want it over with.

I make my way down to the kitchen and I hear AJ and Hanna Jo talking. Both of them sound upset. I pull up short at the door when I hear Hanna Jo say, “AJ, you have to do something. I don’t know if we should show this to Jessi.”

My brow furrows. I push the kitchen door open and say, “Show me what?”

They both look at me, and the first thing I notice is how pale AJ is. He looks down and says, “Jessi, maybe we shouldn’t…”

I cut him off. “What’s wrong?” I feel my heartbeat quicken. “Did something happen to Nick?” He won’t answer me so I turn to Hanna Jo. “What’s going on?”

She sighs. “Jessi, just let it go for now, ok?”

I see AJ clutching a letter in his hand and I reach for it. “No, if something’s happened to Nick, I want to know.”

AJ tries to keep the letter away from me. “Jessi, I don’t know if anything has happened. Maybe Hanna Jo is right…”

I don’t know why, but I snap. “NO, she is NOT right. Stop trying to protect me! If I can survive being raped by that psycho, I think I can handle pretty much anything. Now, give me that letter!”

AJ glances at Hanna Jo and she just nods, laying her head against his shoulder. I grab the envelope from his outstretched hand and sit down at the table. When I see Nick’s almost illegible handwriting, I get a warm feeling in my heart…and the baby kicks. I rub my stomach and start to read.

AJ,

I’m sorry about everything. I know you’re worried, but don’t be. You’re all better off without me. Especially Jessi. If you see her, tell her I love her and I always will and I’m sorry I was such a coward. I couldn’t tell her Wahlberg had you…she would have let him do anything to her. I couldn’t protect her and I couldn’t stop him. I wish his men had killed me…then you could all move on…

I stop reading and look up, the blood draining from my face. “AJ, he wouldn’t…tell me he wouldn’t…” AJ and Hanna Jo both sit at the table with me. I look back down at the letter.

Todd is cute. You did good. Give Hanna Jo my love.

Nick

I lay the letter on the table and bring my eyes up to AJ’s. “Would he?”

AJ shrugs, his own tears pooling on his lashes. “I don’t know…I want to say no but he’s…”

I bow my head and cry. Hanna Jo rubs my back. “Jessi, maybe he won’t…”

I sit up. “He can’t. Ho Jo, he just CAN’T do that!” I turn to AJ. “I…we have to stop him. AJ, we HAVE to.”

He wipes his eyes. “What do you want me to do Jessi?”

I look back and forth between them before looking down at my stomach. “Take me to Mexico. Help me find him. Please.” I look up and whisper, “Please AJ, I…I need him.” I sniffle, rubbing my stomach. “I love him.”

Hanna Jo squeezes my hand. “We’ll all go. Todd is old enough to travel. His one month check up is tomorrow. I’ll ask the doctor…”

I look up at her. “Hanna Jo…you don’t have to…”

She smiles. “I do. He’s family. You’re family. We do this together.” She looks at AJ.

He smiles. “I’ll go book a flight.” He kisses Hanna Jo then kisses my cheek. “Thank you Jessi.”

I look up at him. “For what?”

He smiles through his tears. “For loving my brother.”


Three days later we’re AJ and I are walking off the plane in Cancun, Mexico. After a lengthy discussion, it was decided, mainly by AJ, that Hanna Jo and Todd stay home. An 11 hour flight with one pregnant lady will be hard enough on AJ. Add a newborn to the mix and it would be rough. I did agree with AJ. As much as I want Hanna Jo to be with me, I think its better she keeps the baby at home.

Once we’re through customs, AJ picks up my suitcase and his. As we exit the airport, I say, “Now what?”

AJ looks at me. “I rented a car. The drive will take us about 45 minutes.” I start to feel nervous. I stop suddenly. AJ takes about 3 steps before he realizes I’m not with him and he’s talking to an empty space. He turns to look at me and says, “Jessi, what’s wrong?”

I shrug. “What if…what if he doesn’t want to see me? What if…AJ what if he doesn’t want anything to do with me because of what Donnie did?”

AJ comes back and drops the bags, pulling me into his arms. As I cry into his shirt, he whispers, “Jessi, Nick loves you more than anything in this world. He will love you until the end of time. Once you two talk…once he realizes you forgive him and still love him…everything will be ok.”

I push away from him, shaking my head. “Will it? I was raped, AJ. Brutally violated by a man that almost killed Nick. Will everything be ok?”

He smiles, brushing away my tears. “Love conquers all Jessi. You should know that by now.”

I make a bathroom run while he fills out the paperwork for the rental car. I stare at myself in the mirror as I wash my hands. I close my eyes and whisper, “God give me strength.”








Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! :)