- Text Size +
“You sure about this?” Becka asked as she pulled the key slowly from the ignition.

“Yes! Are you?” The excitement in his voice was palpable.

“Yes.” Her rapid response let them both know she was at least moderately confident in this decision.

“Good.” He nodded.

She took a long look at him before moving into action. “Alrighty…”

He shook his head at her as they each exited the car.

“They already know about you.” She smirked at him as she rounded the front of the car, her free hand grazed the warm surface of the hood as she did so. “About this.”

His eyes widened slightly. “They do?”

“Yes. Of course.” She replied easily, tucking a chunk of blonde hair behind her ear. “That gigantic bouquet sort of broke the ice.”

He watched in silence as she swung her bag over her shoulder.

“What I’m saying is they know this isn’t a study session.”

“Okay.”

“They also have a bit more info on you than they would in most cases.”

“Most cases!”

“We don’t have a book on any of the other guys either of us bring home.”

“I see…”

“You’re used to being known.”

“Not by your parents.”

She didn't respond as they approached the front door and she reached for the handle, pushing it open into unfamiliar territory - a place and experience she hadn’t shared with someone before now.

The relaxed atmosphere of a well lived in home struck Howie as he entered the foyer behind Becka. Photos in frames, jackets on hooks, shoes lined up haphazardly by the door … It felt homey and welcoming. He noticed a pile of mail on the corner of a hall table lined with frames and a vase of flowers. There was an armchair beyond the doorway to the living room, tall ceilings to accommodate the length of the staircase, and warm sunlight flooding in through the many windows.

“I’m home and I have a visitor!” Becka called out as she arranged her bag on a bench lined with other signs of everyday life.

“We are in the kitchen!” Jill called back.

Becka turned to Howie and grinned happily through the simmering nervousness. “Leave your stuff.” She motioned to the bench.

“Wait,” He said nervously, suddenly realizing he should have used the time in the car better, “Is there anything I should know?”

“Start with Mr. and Mrs.”

“Of course.”

“It’s Jill and Eric. They will tell you to call them that but will love it that you started off formal.” she whispered. “They will love you. Just be yourself.” She leaned in and gave him a quick kiss before turning in the direction of the kitchen. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Look who came to visit!” Becka said happily as she presented Howie to Jill and Eric who were sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee together and working on a crossword puzzle. “It’s Howie! A real, live Backstreet Boy, in your kitchen,” she laughed.

Jill and Eric both got to their feet to greet him with hugs and handshakes.

“Welcome, Howie.” Jill said sweetly, pulling him in for a gentle hug.

“Mrs. Parker, it’s so nice to meet you.”

“So wonderful to meet you and to have you here. What a fun surprise for Becka.” Jill’s voice was warm and soft as her hand touched Howie’s arm. Becka blushed.

“Pretty cool for us, you're not the first Backstreet Boy in this kitchen.” Eric mentioned.

“Actually he is!” Becka corrected, “Nick hasn’t been here since you renovated. So technically...”

“Ohhh, well then!”

“Thanks for having me, Mr. Parker, it’s really great to be meeting you both.” Howie chuckled as they shook hands, “I hope I'm not interrupting. I wanted to pull off the surprise for Becka.”

“Not at all, it’s good to have you. And please, call me Eric.” He said as he motioned for Howie to sit, taking his own seat as well. “Coffee?”

Howie looked at Becka who smiled and pressed her hands together.

“Thank you, yeah. I’d love some.”

“I'll get it.” Becka carefully made her way through the kitchen to the island where everything she needed was set out from the first round.

Becka worked on the coffee while Jill and Eric peppered Howie with predictable questions about Europe and the tour.

“It's his day off, we can send you an interview article or something to read later.” She interrupted, “I also have the book upstairs!”

“No, I don't mind.” Howie laughed and Becka returned to the table and placed a mug in front of him.

“I fixed it for you,” she smiled.

“Thank you.”

She winked quickly and took the seat next to him with her own mug.

“We brought the book downstairs. It’s on the coffee table now.” Eric said, looking at Becka over the rim of his mug. “We wanted to be informed.”

She blushed. “Anyway! Yeah, so as I was leaving class Howie sideswiped me with his little surprise…”

“So, did Rebecka show you around Yale?” Eric asked. “The signature Becka campus tour… three coffee shops and a parking lot.”

“That’s actually exactly what I saw, yes.” Howie nodded.

“Okay that’s not true, he saw the quad.” Becka added, “I know he found that on his own but he still saw it.”

“Maybe someday I'll get a more traditional tour.”

“You don’t want it, trust me. So boring.”

Jill shook her head with a smile, “So difficult to impress this one.”

Becka pouted playfully even though she wondered if it was true.

“That’s alright. I love a good challenge.” Howie said happily as he turned to smile at her which instantly turned her insides into a ball of fire.


_


“It’s sort of pretty, actually.” Coll mused, twirling a piece of hair in her fingers as she looked out at the storm clouds rolling in. “Dark and moody. Super mysterious looking.”

He looked at her like she was crazy. “No. This ruins everything.”

“Everything?”

“Yeah, I wanted to take you on the boat.”

“Well didn't you say that's how we would get to the hotel tomorrow?”

“Yeah but that’s like… different.” He groaned, “that’s not for fun.”
She laughed lightly, “I’m pretty sure boating to the Waldorf for the night is literally for the purpose of fun, no?”

He tilted his head at her. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, but we could leave earlier and do your fun stuff on the way if you want.” She suggested, “You’re right. It’s not a good day for a boat trip but it’s not all bad…” The tone of her voice changed slightly, “I'm not particularly disappointed by the idea of staying inside all day with you while it’s all dark and stormy outside.”

Catching her drift, his eyes widened. “Oh?”

Her lips popped and she played coy.

“What do you want to do then?” He slipped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his body, kissing her once she was close enough, making her giggle.

“What would we have done that day you had off in Europe if your mom hadn’t shown up?” Her face was so close to his and she couldn't help but feel the warmth he created inside of her, a slight pain at the thought of being far from him often in a short time.

“Oh, that’s what you want to do?” He asked.

Her shoulder pressed into the glass for stability. She nodded.


_


“You’re going to have to tell me eventually,” Becka said abruptly as she shoved half the hanging garments in her closet to the side, creating a caucus of metal clashing as the hangers banged together in the process.

“Tell you what?” Howie asked nervously.

She turned to look at him standing in the middle of her bedroom, the sight of which made her feel weak.

“Where we are going.”

“Oh.”

“What did you think I meant? I just want to know what to bring so I am dressed correctly.”

“It’s a date.” He said simply. “Date clothes.”

Pondering all the variety in the definition of a date, she rolled her eyes and returned her attention to the closet, “You’re such a man.”

He laughed lightly and began looking around her room more closely as she continued gathering her things.

“How old were you here?” Howie asked, pointing to a small photo on Becka’s dresser.

She looked to see what he was referring to as she brought a dress to her bed and dropped it down. Her cheeks flushed red immediately, “ha… five?”

“You’re cute.” He said, looking back at the photo. “Who is this?”

“Oh, a friend.” She said casually, “a family friend.”

“You look so much alike.”

She turned quickly away from him, busying herself again with the closet. “It’s the hair.”

“I think it’s the eyes.” He said as he studied the picture more.

Cautiously she snuck a peek over her shoulder to see if he was still interested in the photo. Shift gears. “Okay just tell me if it’s going to involve a lot of walking or not.”

“Walking? No, not really.”

“So we aren’t going to the city?”

“Not tonight.”

She pursed her lips together. “Interesting…” She spent the next ten minutes gathering things into a leather duffle bag, trying to bring her heart rate down, before announcing that she was ready to go.

Howie followed closely behind her as she trailed down the stairs, dropped her duffle in the foyer and then proceeded into the living room where she let Jill and Eric know they were leaving and alluded to an indefinite ending to the night. Howie thanked them for the visit and Becka gave Jill a long hug. As she did that, he took notice of the photos on the living room wall closest to him. Another photo of Becka and the family friend caught his eye and in the context of the array, nestled among wedding photos and school pictures, it felt slightly out of place.

“Alright,” She sighed as she approached him again, “Ready?”

“Is this the same woman from the photo upstairs?.”

Suddenly realizing how many things were in the house she hadn’t considered, Becka shot Jill a look but she was stoic and unwavering in her happy demeanor. Classic pro.

“Have a great night, you two.” Jill said simply as she and Eric left the room.

“Thanks, will do… Yes, that’s her.”

“That’s so crazy you look so much alike.”

She could feel the warmth in her cheeks and quickly began to busy herself with her hair pretending there was something about it that needed fixing.

He watched her shove her hand through her hair and sensed something had changed in her bearing like she had been jostled momentarily, but also that she was trying to adjust back.

“It’s the eyes.” She said casually as she reached for her duffle. Shit, i said hair earlier, didn’t I?

Unable to place her reaction accurately, he let it be and held his hand out, motioning for her to give him the bag.

You’re fine. “Excited?” Inhaling slowly, she place the handles of the bag in his palm.

“Of course. Are you?”

“Soy la más emocionada que he estado”

He laughed as he opened the front door for her, “that better not be sarcastic.”