- Text Size +
Getting groceries ordered and dinner ready was relatively uneventful. Kevin ordered enough groceries to last them the week and decided he would make more definitive decisions around what food to stock in the house when it came time to place the order at the end of the week. Having the groceries delivered not only saved so much time going to the grocery store, but also minimized the risk to himself and others by being in public. He usually only ordered groceries on the weeks the boys were home with him and managed to limp by with what was left over or ordering take out on the days he was flying solo. With three additional people in the house this week, that was never going to be feasible.

Once the groceries were delivered and put away he set to work creating a tomato sauce for pasta. He figured spaghetti was a safe bet for the kids and knew how much Nick liked it as well. The kids had woken up about an hour ago and Kevin had sent Nick in to keep the company in the living room. Everything had happened so fast he hadn’t had any time to worry about switching rooms around or baby proofing to make it safer for Saoirse. If they were going to be staying here for a while he had to make the space more conducive for a baby, they couldn’t be hovering over her every second, she would need her freedom to explore her new space and get comfortable. A baby gate would be necessary though to keep her from being hurt on the stairs. He remembered having one for both the top and bottom of the staircase when Maxwell was little but he couldn’t quite remember what had come of it. He made a mental note to check the attic for it as well when he went looking for the high chair and booster seat.

He hummed to himself quietly as he made quick work of dicing the tomatoes and onions for the sauce. Adding them to the skillet, he washed his hands and preheated the oven for the garlic bread. He wasn’t sure how long it had been since the three of them had a proper meal and he was determined for them all to go to bed with full tummies. His phone vibrated on the counter. Drying his hands he picked it up to see another text from Brian. It had been a few hours since their last text exchange and knew his cousin was getting antsy by his lack of response. He just didn’t feel like it was his place to give Brian much information about what was going on. That would have to come from Nick. The other man had trusted him enough to come here, to turn to him in his time of need. He wasn’t going to then betray that trust by sharing Nick’s story with the others. Nick would tell them when he was good and ready.


Brian: What’s going on??? Kevin????

Kevin: Brian, I’ve told you. Everything will be fine. I will tell Nick to call you tomorrow. Just leave him alone for the evening and let him settle in here.

Brian: He’s staying there? How long is he staying there?

Kevin: I don’t know Brian. There's a lot going on and none of it will be solved overnight. Right now he just needs a safe place to be for him and the kids while he handles things.

Brian: So he's staying there indefinitely? Are you going to be okay with that?

Kevin: What??? Of course I'll be okay. What are you talking about? I'm not going to turn a friend away if they need me. You know that. I will have him give you a call in a day or so.

Brian: I know you won't turn him away, but I also know what him being there could do to you. You have to take care of yourself too. I'm just looking out for all of you.

Kevin: Things will be fine. I will be fine. I don't even know what you are insinuating. We'll talk to you in a couple of days.


Kevin sighed frustrated and tossed his phone back on the counter. Brian needed to mind his own Goddamn business. Everything was going to be just fine.

The sauce started to boil on the stove so Kevin added the rest of the ingredients and gave it a stir. He was bent over trying to find his Dutch oven when Nick walked into the room. He cleared his throat, causing Kevin to jump a mile into the air. "Jesus Nick, you scared the shit out of me." he said standing up quickly. He was going to have to get used to other people in the house and not be so jumpy. Nick smiled and chuckled. "Sorry Kev. I didn't mean to scare you. How can I help?"

Kevin gestured towards the stove. “If you want to get the garlic bread in the oven that would be helpful. I’ve just got to boil the pasta and then toss it all together.”

They set to work, side by side as they finished dinner preparations. Kevin quickly made plates for both kids so their food could cool before making plates for himself and Nick. “I haven’t had time to look for a high chair for Saoirse so she’s going to have to sit on your lap to eat. I think I have Max’s old chair in the attic. I was planning on looking for it this evening when we started moving things around.” Kevin said, wiping his hands on a dishtowel.

Nick turned to face him from his position at the stove where he was sampling the pasta sauce from a spoon. His eyes were closed happily as he licked the spoon clean. Kevin did a double take and quickly looked away. Nick sat the spoon down and crossed to where Kevin stood. He wrapped his arms around the older man and hugged him tightly. “Thank you Kev, for everything you are doing for us. I know how big of a pain having three people to take care of, just showing up on your doorstep must be. I...I just can’t be anywhere else right now. But I want you to know how much this means to me.” Nick said softly hugging him one more before releasing him. Nick carried the plates to the table and then left the room in search of the children.

Kevin stood dumbfounded leaning against the kitchen island. Several deep breaths later he was finally able to move. What in the world had he gotten himself into?

Dinner was eventful, fun even. He’d forgotten how fun it was to have a lively meal with good company. Most of his meals were either spent alone, or listening to the boys drone on about Fortnite or Pokemon. He’d missed adult conversation about movies, music and even politics, anything that wasn’t a cartoon character. Both kids made an absolute mess with their spaghetti, getting it all over their adorable faces. Odin had it him his hair and down his arms, while Saoirse managed to shove some in her ear while none of the grownups were watching. But they ate, both kids cleaning their plates and Odin even asking for seconds. It pained Kevin to think how long they possibly could have been hungry not just this last week with Nick falling apart, but all the times they’d been left with LAuren and she'd been drinking. He urged himself not to think about it and instead vowed it would never be something either of them would have to worry about. At least not while Kevin was around to control it. Nick ate too, a healthy plate of pasta and bread and when he was done declared it was the fullest he had been in weeks. Kevin beamed on the inside knowing he’d managed to make a small difference, if only for a moment for the three.

“They are going to need a bath.” Kevin said chuckling slightly as Saoirse waved her red sticky hands in the air before touching her face and decorating her sweet cheeks with even more tomato sauce.

“Yeah no kidding.” Nick said laughing.

“I think maybe a sleepover in the living room will be the best thing for tonight. Once the kids are down you and I can work on getting some of the bedrooms upstairs situated for you guys. There’s just been no time to do it yet and I am sure once they have a nice warm bath they will both be ready to snuggle in for the night.” Kevin said, clearing the last of the plates from the kitchen table.

“Are you sure Kevin? I feel awful coming in and invading your house like this. Maybe it would be better if we just got a hotel room.” Nick said looking up at him sadly.

Kevin shook his head emphatically. “Nonsense. How in the world do you expect me to take care of you if you are in a hotel? You’re going to stay right here. There are 8 bedrooms and three different lounge rooms in this house. It’s much too big for just me and the boys part time. We just have to arrange it a little better so it works for everyone. And we can do that as soon as we get these little angels to sleep.”

Nick stared at him for a long moment and then smiled sadly. “If you say so Kev.”

“I do and this is my house, so I’m the boss.” he said winking at Odin.”Now you take the kids to the hall bathroom and give them a bath. I’ll clean up here and then set up the living room. “ Kevin said, turning back to the sink to begin washing the dishes. He heard the scuttle of the chairs on the stone floor and breathed a sigh of relief when he heard them clammer down the hallway. This really was going to be a long night.

Once the dishes were clean and their dinner mess cleaned up Kevin made his way back towards the living room. He stopped at the hall closet and got a few extra blankets and a couple of pillows before heading the rest of the way into the living room. He set to work building a pallet of blankets and pillows on the floor for Odin and made sure Saoirse had a blanket inside the pack and play. He laid a pillow at one end of the couch and folded the bigger blanket in half, laying it beside the pillow for Nick. He’d just finished setting up when a freshly showered Odin came hurtling into the room from the left. Kevin barely had enough time to register him coming before the boy plowed right into him, sending them both tumbling back onto the couch. Odin giggled like a mad man and smiled up at Kevin. He couldn’t help but laugh. He really was his daddy made over. Kevin sat them both up and ruffled Odin’s wet hair out of his eyes. “How’s your daddy doing with your sister?” He asked looking around the room and realizing Nick was still missing.

“He wet.” Odin said giggling again.

Uh oh. That didn’t sound good. Kevin switched on the TV and quickly found a cartoon to keep Odin occupied while he went in search of Nick. Nick was indeed wet. When Kevin found him in the bathroom he was soaking wet from the neck down. “What in the world is going on in here?” he asked, leaning against the doorframe.

Nick looked up at him and shrugged sheepishly. “This isn’t the easiest thing to do by yourself.” he said laughing. “This one is very splashy and likes to squirm.” Nick said gesturing at the baby. She smiled at Kevin from the doorway and proceeded to try to shove her first entirely in her mouth. Kevin laughed and picked up the towel from the corner of the sink. He opened it up and then proceeded to lift the baby out of the bathtub. He sat down on the toilet seat with her and proceeded to dry her off. Nick pulled himself up off his knees and sat on the edge of the toilet seat. He lifted the wet shirt off, exposing his toned stomach and chest. Kevin quickly looked away and busied himself drying, diapering and dressing Saoirse.
“I..I um..the living room is set up so the kids can sleep. I will let you get them down and I’ll head upstairs to start organizing some stuff around.” Kevin said tossing the towel into the hamper. Nick picked it up and used it to towel off the excess water from the bath. “Thanks Kev.” he said smiling.

Kevin smiled back, for a moment too long, and then handed Nick back the baby. He quickly got up and left the small bathroom. Once back in the living room he could see Odin’s eyes drooping as he sat on the couch watching Paw Patrol. “Oh Kev, he loves this show.” Nick said coming up behind him.

Kevin jumped slightly, not anticipating the closeness of the other man. He shifted his weight and nodded walking closer to the small boy. “Okay Odin, it’s time to settle down for bed.” Nick said sitting down on the edge of the couch. He sat on the end still cradling Saoirse in his arms. She was getting sleepy too, her little eyes blinking slowly on the verge of awake and asleep. Odin sighed and slipped off the couch. He gave Nick a hug and leaned down to kiss his sister’s cheek. He turned to look at Kevin. Kevin smiled and said goodnight. He turned to leave the room to give them some time together when he felt little arms wrap around his waist from behind. Looking down he saw Odin’s arms wrapped firmly around him. He stopped and dropped to his knees, taking the young boy in his arms. He gave him a big hug and kissed his cheek. “Story? Pweae?” Odin asked looking up at Kevin hopefully.

How could he possibly say no to those eyes. The same eyes as his father, the same eyes that used to plead with him, very much the same way. He’d never been able to say no to those eyes. He nodded, not trusting his voice to speak. He hugged Odin again and then released him and went to the bookcase in the corner to look for something suitable for bedtime. Most of Max’s books were upstairs, and Kevin wasn’t even really sure what they even still had here anymore. Kristin had gone through most of the boys' things when they were separating and Kevin didn’t know if any of the board books from his childhood survived or not. He made another note to look for those types of things when he climbed into the attic. Finally finding a book he thought would work he picked it up and went back to the couch. He sat down beside Nick so Saoirse could see the pictures too and pulled Odin into his lap.

“I used to read this one to Max and Mason when they were your age.” Kevin said opening the book. “Llama Llama Red Pajama.”

Kevin began reading the story, tickling and playing with Odin as he went. Halfway through the story Odin had curled up in his lap and was struggling to stay away. Nick sat back further into the couch and shifted Saoirse in his lap. She had just fallen asleep and Nick was trying to let her get good and asleep before he moved her to the pack and play. He closed his eyes and relaxed, moving against Kevin until his head naturally fell on his shoulder. Kevin glanced over as the story ended. Odin asleep in his lap, Saoirse asleep in her father’s arms and Nick barely awake on Kevin’s shoulder. He brushed the hair out of Nick’s eyes and placed a gentle kiss against his forehead. Leaning back into the couch to get more comfortable he wrapped one arm around Nick’s shoulders and pulled him closer. The other hand threaded in Odin’s hair, rhythmically moving back and forth to aid in his sleep. Organizing the upstairs could wait.