- Text Size +
When Nick and AJ landed in the center of the arena, they were met with Ashley’s stern stare.

“Thanks.” AJ grinned and patted Ashley’s shoulder. “He’s all yours.”

Ashley rolled his shoulder back, forcing AJ’s hand from it. AJ frowned, glancing at Nick.

“Shouldn’t we all work together?” Nick pressed his lips into a thin line. “Howie?”

“If there are truly two reconnaissance parties, then it seems logical to separate training as well so that there is no reliance on a tactic that will not be available.” Though Howie took careful steps, he smiled as he walked toward them.

“But…” We’ve been training together...

“We will plan a way to reconvene safely.” He cupped Nick’s shoulder. “That is of the utmost importance.”

Nick glanced at Brian, Kevin, and Minako, then at the ground. “Okay.”

“Remember, do not sacrifice any piece of yourself due to fear. Observe and act, rather than reacting.” As Howie smiled, he cupped Nick’s second shoulder, holding them both tightly. “You are not a monster, you are Nick. And Nick is irreplaceable to this clan.”

“You are too, Howie!” Nick pulled Howie into a tight hug. “I’m… sorry for yelling yesterday! If you think something’s for the best… I trust you!”

Howie patted Nick’s back and lowered his voice to a whisper. “We know vulnerability frightens you, but allowing others to see your worry for them is not a weakness. There is strength in that support.”

As he nodded, Nick tightened his embrace on Howie.

Howie pulled back, then turned to AJ. “We have a route to navigate.”

AJ nodded, patting Nick’s shoulder as he began walking toward the exit.

“Ruby Pandora, will you accompany us or shall we reconvene later?”

“Later…” She stood. “I want to see Erik again.”

After giving her a brief nod, Howie quickened his pace to catch up with AJ. Madeline followed slowly behind them. Once the three of them exited the arena, Nick glanced back at Ashley who crossed his arms and smirked as he fixed his stare on Nick.

“You think it’s a weakness.” Nick swallowed, forcing the frown away from his lips.

“Astute.” Ashley’s smirk grew.

Nick’s hands clenched as they tensed. “What I can do for them is more important than what they can do for me.”

“Wrong. Others are a liability. Especially when you place their importance above your own.”

Nick growled.

Ashley glanced toward Minako, watching her quietly speaking with Kevin and Brian. “Not to mention that your priestess will likely be useless in a fight against demons.”

“She’s strong enough to fight when she needs to.” Nick snarled, clenching his fists tighter. “You’re talking to me, look at me.”

"Are you strong enough to focus on yourself and let her?" When their eyes met again, Ashley’s contemptuous smile flicked with joy.

Nick flinched. What? What is he…

“Jacob, distract him.”

Over Ashley’s shoulder, Jacob held his hands crossed at his chest -- they glowed with vibrant red dust.

Whatever, it’s not like anything grows in here. Nick inhaled deeply and pulled back his arm, ready to strike Ashley.

At that moment, Jacob spread his hands apart, sending millions of spores into the air.

Searching for Ashley, Nick whirled his head in the thick fog. Sight shrouded, he blinked, attempting to clear the stinging and burning from his eyes. He sputtered -- the dense, earthy flavor filling his mouth with bitterness, before forcing a gag from his throat.

“You behave as though these are polite battles where your enemies will exchange witty words with you before choosing one-on-one combat, instead of a war where your enemies will do anything to see you dead.” Ashley’s voice rang through the hazy fog.

Nick coughed, brushing his hands across his face as he stumbled through the thick cloud.

“How will you prepare for a battle you don’t control when your enemies focus on your personal defeat before picking your companions off one by one? Will you be able to protect her then? Or will you focus on yourself?”

A choking growl escaped his lips, growing strong as he pushed through the smoggy haze.

“Nick! Duck!”

Duck? Brian? Nick whirled around, but the spores continued to shroud his sight, blocking any hope of communicating with Brian. Still, he dropped to the ground moments before a stream of sapphire light pierced the fog. It exploded in a bright burst of breezy light, pushing the spores away and clearing the air surrounding his body. He scanned the arena quickly to see Brian, Kevin, and Minako still standing by the entrance. Brian!

Brian swayed, then slammed his staff into the ground, leaning on it for balance. Minako held his shoulders tightly as Brian’s blistering stare crossed the arena and settled on the rock outcropping where Ashley and Jacob squatted, peering over the edge.

“You act like it’s Nick against the world! We’re all still here to fight beside him!”

Ashley smirked. “A priest who can barely stand after assisting is not an asset to your team. Clans who believe in pacifism breed only weakness.”

As Kevin pushed his hands toward Brian’s chest, they began glowing with a bright blue light.

“I’m fine.” Brian brushed his hand away, his stare still fixed on Ashley. “No one thrives when there’s only war. Life is about more than fighting, but I will always fight for them, even when it goes against my upbringing.” Brian glanced at Nick as a small smile quirked on his lips, then stared back at Ashley with his lips pressed in a thin line.

After a brief and minuscule nod, Nick grinned. Understood. He began crawling across the ground toward the outcropping and the edge of the arena.

“War is inevitable in this world.” Ashley’s voice echoed across the arena.

“If we’re stronger, why are we making it inevitable? Might doesn’t make right!”

“The strong win because the strong survive. Consider yourself lucky that your weakness is somehow strong enough.”

“They’re not weak!” Minako held Brian tighter as she stared at Ashley, her hands trembling with her grip. “We’re stronger together!”

“Weak sapphire demons, constantly pledging loyalty to each other.” Ashley laughed derisively. “It will be your undoing.”

Jacob crossed his arms as he frowned. “It’s also easy to strike you when you’re all bunched up. Aren’t you worried about that?”

Kevin clenched his hand, causing the sapphire glow to vanish. “Togetherness is our strength.”

Ashley cackled. “Hardly.”

Brian shot another sapphire blast toward the rock outcropping, which Ashley and Jacob jumped to dodge. As the sapphire light burst against the rock, Nick leapt from the ground and sank his claws into the bottom of the rock outcropping. He dangled for a moment, then swung his feet against it, clenching the hard stone in his claws. When the light dissipated, Ashley and Jacob landed again.

“We’ll have to work on your aim, Brian.” Jacob frowned.

Though his head sank and his shoulders rose and fell sharply with his heavy breath, when Brian raised his head, a broad grin formed on his face. As he gripped his staff tightly, regaining balance, a quiet laugh fell from his lips.

“What?” Ashley sneered.

“Depends on what I was aiming at.”

Now! Nick jumped up onto the ledge, flicking small orbs at Ashley and Jacob that scorched their clothing and singed their skin. As Jacob rubbed his arm gingerly, Nick kicked him swiftly in the abdomen, sending him plummeting toward the ground.

Nick smirked and whirled on Ashley with a quick jab. “I thought our opponents wouldn’t get distracted by talking.”

“You’re still punching instead of using your powers.” Ashley snarled as he blocked it, thrusting an uppercut toward Nick’s face.

“You too!” Nick raised his elbow to block, punching Ashley’s cheek with his other fist -- the force from his ring left a bloody gash behind. He hopped backward as he held his hand to his chest. “Let’s agree that we use our powers or don’t!”

“You’re making a dangerous choice, Nicky.” Ashley sneered and his hand began blazing with a red energy as he walked across the outcropping.

Backed against the wall, Nick flicked small, bright orbs at Ashley’s face, but he merely brushed them aside.. Ashley launched his crackling fist at Nick, knocking him from the rock outcropping. As he fell, Nick thrust a clawed hand into the rock, latching on to it with a crunch.

Though he hung from the rock perilously, he growled and scanned the arena. A barrier immobilized Jacob. Minako sprinted toward him. Kevin and Brian leapt into flight, abandoning their sprints. When he fixed his gaze back on Ashley, Nick glowered.

“It’s sentimental of them to come to your rescue.” He glanced at Jacob’s frozen form. “And ensure that I lack aid.” He squatted and grabbed Nick’s wrist, the electric energy absent from his hands. “Do you think they’re hurrying to protect you because they don’t think you’re strong enough to beat me on your own?”

Nick thrust his free claws toward Ashley’s face as he snarled. Small gashes burst across the bridge of Ashley’s nose, dripping trickles of blood down his mouth and chin as he growled back.

“We always help each other. We’re stronger together!”

“Are you sure they’ll always help you? There’s no shreds of doubt?”

“Of course not!” Nick growled.

Ashley smirked, but said nothing.

What?

As he gripped Nick’s arms, Ashley’s hands began burning with an electric blaze.

Nick winced, trying to pull back, but the wince quickly became a guttural cry as the electric energy snaked up his arms. What is this?! His claws grew slack against the stone.

Ashley forcefully pulled Nick toward him, then thrust his foot against his chest as he let go, sending Nick hurtling to the ground. Moments later, Brian and Kevin landed on the rock outcropping.

“Ashley! This is supposed to be training!” Kevin shouted.

Brian gripped his chest, then jumped from the ledge. “Nick!”

“Nick!” Minako quickened her pace.

Despite falling, Nick unfurled his wings as he flipped, propelling his chest toward the ground, rather than his back. His wings caught the rising air, slowing his descent as he tucked his head to his chest, forcing his knees and elbows to hit the stone as he landed. He winced, letting his wings fold gently against his back as he pushed himself up onto his knees

After landing on his feet, Brian knelt beside him. “You okay?”

The electric blaze crackled against Nick’s skin as it flared, then disappeared. Nick winced again. “The fall? Yeah. Not my first time being pushed from somewhere high.” Nick grimaced. That sting though...

Ashley leapt from the overhang, landing in front of Nick and Brian. For a brief moment, he glanced back at them with a glinting smirk, then fixed his gaze on Minako. His hands flared open as the crackling energy formed in them.

No! Nick jumped to his feet and sprinted toward her as sapphire light flicked against his skin. “Minako!”

“Sleeping priestesses have no right to speak in a battle between demons!”

She has to hear me. She has to keep breathing. She can’t be still. She can’t freeze. She has to respond. She has to smile at me. She has to worry about me.


Though he raced toward her, a second blast of red energy quickly joined the first. They felt eons apart as his blaring heartbeat and rapid breathing filled the void between them, blocking out all other motion and sound -- until her shriek burst through his senses. “Minako!”

Only your kindness. Only your honey voice. Only your gentle touch. Only your sparkling eyes. Only your gleaming smile. Only your warmth. Only your brightness.

Knocked to the ground by the force, Minako cupped her shaking hands to her chest, struggling to stand as she hunched her shoulders with her head curled into her fingers.

I can’t keep going without you! You’re all my strength! He skidded to a stop in front of her, then knelt down and cradled her. “Minako! It’s going to be okay!”

A small sapphire barrier flickered around them weakly as she reached her hand up to his cheek. “Nick... It’s okay. You have to...” She winced.

“Minako!”

“The darkness never made you weak, it was Pandora of the Sapphires!”

Nick held her tightly to his chest as he snapped his attention toward Ashley. His footsteps echoed through Nick’s mind, almost drowning out his own breath and heartbeat.

“As I mentioned, caring for others over yourself is a liability.”

Monster… Nick growled as the light flickering against his skin intensified.

Another burst of red energy shattered the weak barrier surrounding them and the glinting sapphire light cascaded to the ground before disappearing.

“More than a mere liability, it is your most exploitable weakness. Any enemy, useless or formidable, will recognize that.”

How dare you… The sapphire light blazed and rampaged around Nick’s body, but he continued to clutch Minako tightly as a second low growl pressed against his lips. The arena surrounding him blurred, but Ashley’s face remained clear. Though numbness spread across his body, Minako’s shallow breaths remained warm against his neck.

Clarity returned when Brian cupped Nick’s shoulder, then knelt beside him.

We’re stronger together… Nick wordlessly passed Minako’s body into Brian’s arms.

“We’re allies! These methods are too extreme!” Kevin furrowed his brow as he knelt beside them, then pressed his glowing hands against Minako’s chest.

“Hardly.” Ashley smirked. “There is no strength or victory in ignoring blatant weaknesses. You need to learn, Nicky.” A shimmer of light wrapped around Ashley’s body.

Brian gaped and grabbed Nick’s shoulder forcefully, but Nick quickly brushed his hand off and stood.

Nick’s wings flared from his back and his fangs curved over his lips as his growl intensified. Cracking knuckles became clenched fists; the sapphire light glinted and danced in his eyes.

“So, you can reach into your reserves of power?” Ashley’s smirk grew. “Interesting. Can you control it?”

Brian hurriedly pushed Minako into Kevin’s grasp and sprung to his feet, grabbing Nick’s shoulder again.

Nick pulled from his grasp, stare still fixed on Ashley. Slowly, a bright and blazing orb of energy formed around Nick’s hand and he threw a punch at Ashley’s chest. I’ll kill you!

The air around Ashley rippled and Nick’s fist bounced back, sending the light ricocheting around the arena. The same sickening red energy formed around Ashley’s hands as he grabbed Nick’s shoulders and smirked. Sparks flared around Nick’s body, sending stinging shock waves shooting through his veins and causing him to crumple in on himself as he shrieked. Ashley thrust a punch into Nick’s chest, slicing the red energy across it. Nick collapsed on the ground, curling his knees to his chest as he trembled and coughed. His wings folded around his shoulders.

The red glow dissipated as the shimmer disappeared. Ashley crossed his arms as he stared down at Nick. “Remember that your enemies will aim for your more vital organs. Wrath can only make you so strong if you cannot calmly accept that your companions may need to be sacrificed for victory.”

“I would... never... sacrifice them.” Nick winced as his wings unfurled and he leaned on his elbows.

“Then you will always lose, no matter how hard you train or how much stronger you get.” Ashley began walking toward the entrance, then glanced over his shoulder at Jacob’s unfrozen form. “Let’s go, Jacob.” Moments later, the two demons disappeared through the crevice.

Nick snarled, baring his teeth as his face and neck washed in red. He clutched his chest as he winced. Better me than Minako… He growled, his hand shaking as it tensed and clenched before he slammed it against the stone. I can’t let that happen again!

Brian knelt beside him and cupped Nick’s shoulder. “Sorry we weren’t fast enough! You okay? What w--”

“I’m fine!” Nick exhaled forcefully through his nose, then sat up and ran his hand down his face. “Sorry. I’m fine. Thanks.”

“You’re learning, Nick. Even though you were upset, you kept calm enough to stay in control of your powers.” Kevin patted Minako’s hand, then pulled away and moved toward Nick.

“Barely.” He clenched his eyes shut and winced as a residual shock ran through him. “These must be Ashley’s real powers. They’re just like that false god… Stinging…” He growled.

“I tried to warn you, but it looks like he has barrier powers too. It’s probably how he was close to you that day when you were young and still lived.” Brian pressed his lips into a thin line. “It doesn’t look like he can make them any larger than his body though…”

“Howie said he used wind and wood powers when you first encountered him.” Kevin frowned. “How many clans has he stolen from?” He ran his glowing hands over Nick’s wounds.

Minako brushed Nick’s hair back. “It’s okay, Nick. He just took me by surprise this time since we’re on the same team...”

We really are stronger together! This lesson can’t happen again! After a quick glance at Brian and Kevin, Nick fixed his stare on hers as he gripped her cheek. I can’t let there be a chance. You’re my everything.

“...Well, and also that his hands looked that same way the day he told me about what happened when you were younger.”

Nick’s hand tensed as his nostrils flared. I will never let that happen again!

~*~



A grimace crossed Nick’s face as he winced. Though he held his hand gently to his chest, he pulled Minako down the path, running his thumb over his hand as they walked.

“Nick!” Minako hugged his arm and placed her hand on his lower back. “We don’t need to go anywhere if you’re still hurting! Everyone would give you space if you said you wanted it.”

“It’s okay. I like the fresh air.” He smiled gently. “And that’s what you and I said, right? More time for just us.”

“But you should be resting now before we go! If we have time to rest, we should use it!”

“Every moment I have to rest is a moment I can spend with you.” While pausing, he licked his lower lip, then brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. “Oh, there it is.” He pulled her toward the concave dip they’d sat in the night before. Though the stone remained smooth, the magic of yesterday’s twilight had disappeared. With a grunt, he lowered himself to the ground, then reached his arms toward her.

Minako settled against his uninjured side and leaned her head against his. “Nick, it’s okay to say when you’re hurting.”

“This reminds me of that day we met the bandits, then it rained. Remember how much I fought with you before I let you wash the cuts on my face and wing?” He laughed. “Always hiding. Quiet or shouting with nothing in between. I don’t know what you saw in me back then.”

“You were the exact same Nick I love, I promise. You’d just been depending on yourself for so long.” She smiled as he brushed his hair back from his forehead. “And bleeding is a kind of vulnerability that you’re not in control of.”

“Glad I stopped hiding when I got hurt.” He laughed again. “I would’ve been really useless the whole time we were trying to get the box if I didn’t.” He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, letting his fingers linger as he pulled them away. “I think that was the first day that I started to see you as Minako and not just Pandora. Or at least… it was the first day I decided that I would do anything I could to protect you… even if it meant that I got hurt.”

“You were really reckless that day! I know you’re strong, but they had knives!” She gripped his shoulder. “It’s why you need to be more careful around Justin too!”

“So we can get the box?” he mumbled as he shut his eyes, laughing quietly.

“What? Nick, of course not! You mattered more than the box then and you matter more than everything now! You’re always more important than the things we have to do!”

“That’s it.” A warm smile washed over his face as he opened his eyes. “When I was calling the box important, you called me important. Important despite the box we needed existing. And if I was important for just being Nick, then you were important for being Minako and not Pandora.”

“Of course you’re important.” She brushed her hand through his hair again, the same gentle smile on her lips. “You’re the most important to me.”

“Me too. More important than anything else.” His eyebrows pinched as he cupped her cheek. Where do I even start? “I’m sorry…”

“It wasn’t your fault. We all misjudged what Ashley would do in a friendly fight.”

You’d never guess that I mean… He glanced at the ground and swallowed. “I hate that too…”

“Too? Nick?”

“Minako…” While running his thumb on her cheek, he fixed his gaze back on hers. “Go to Topazuseihou instead. Please?”

Her breath caught in her throat as her hand froze at his forehead.

You hate it! But I… “I’ll come back safely!”

“But Renee, and our promise...” She blinked, trying to clear the tears forming in her eyes.

“I know...” Stop crying… He brushed the tears from her cheek. “I want the same thing. You have all of me forever.”

“But if you get hurt and I’m not… with you… and Renee...”

“Renee will come back with us, no matter what! Kevin and Brian will help keep me safe! I’m coming back to you!” He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. I swear… “But…”

She gripped a fold in his tunic, but said nothing.

“Minako…” He swallowed. “Last time in Emeradotouhou, I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to tell you that I loved you… And then in the castle, when Ashley…” His voice hitched as he blinked away the tears forming in his eyes. “I thought you died! It destroyed me! And then Ashley hurting you today and finding out how he almost hurt you in Rubiihoppou too… I want to have all of you forever, so you being healthy and safe has to be the most important! Even more important than us always being together! I don’t want to take any decisions away from you, but I couldn’t keep living without you!” He gripped her shoulders. "I swear to you that there’s no place too far away! I’ll get back to you safely! I’ll bring Renee back to you safely!"

She threw her arms around his neck. "Nick, no! You have to be healthy and safe too! I want to be where you are!"

"I know! I want to be where you are too!” He thrust his arms around her shoulders tightly and pulled her into his chest. “But the last time we were in Emeradotouhou, I couldn't stand it that you got hurt and I couldn’t do anything!" He ran his hand down her hair. "And even when I figured out what to do, we all got really hurt! Even with my powers, I would do anything I could to keep you safe! Every single thing, even if it was the opposite of what we planned!"

"I’ll keep you safe too!” She buried her head against his neck and chest. “I'll be okay, I'm stronger! I’ll know to be ready to defend myself! I won't be a distraction!"

”You’re not a distraction at all! Minako!” Blinking back tears, he leaned his head on hers. “You deserve all my attention! Because I am your soldier, for who you are, and because I love you!"

She clenched his tunic tightly as she stared up at him, letting her tears fall down her cheeks.

You shouldn’t ever have to cry because of me… As he gripped her chin, he stared into her tear filled eyes. "I will always get to you."

“Nick, but…”

“I will do everything I can to keep every promise I’ve ever made to you.”

“I’d rather have you!”

“I know, me too.” He smoothed back her hair and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “It’s the second most important promise I’ll ever make to you. Everything I am and everything I have is yours forever.”

“Me too! You can have everything!” She pressed her hand against his chest. “But I want to help! I can help!”

“I know.” He winced and furrowed his brow. “I wonder if you can combine barriers from far away…”

“Nick? What does that have to do with anything?!”

“You like Brian’s power the most… Brian and his grandfather combined their barriers and when we came into the cave too… But they’re all really close…” He brushed his thumb against her cheek. “I wonder if you can do it from far away…”

“Asking Brian’s grandpa to come with us seems like a big request.” She frowned.

“I don’t mean that he should come with us. I wonder if you and Brian could combine barriers. Then you could help while staying safe and we could make sure I’ll get back to you.”

“But Nick! Mine are so small and the only time I made a bigger one was with Brian’s sutra. Do his sutras even work from that far away? Maybe if I went to Emeradotouhou and--”

“Go to Topazuseihou. Please? We can practice. You can get even stronger. You can be really helpful. You’ll be amazing. I don’t want to take away any decisions from you. I just...” He bit his lip. “I don’t want anything bad to happen to you. If Justin and Ashley are in the same place as you, I will constantly worry about you. And you need to be safe.”

She glanced at the ground, but tightly wrapped her fingers around his hand at her face. “Do you… do you really think I can still help from far away? What if my powers only work when we’re all close to each other?”

“Brian can be like Cygnus and help us make our magpie bridge.”

She glanced back up at him, sucking in her lips as though deep in thought. “Nick…” She blinked, then exhaled deeply. “Okay. If we can practice and get it to work, then I’ll go to Topazuseihou with AJ and Howie. But if it doesn’t work, I’m going with you to find Lance and get Renee out of Emeradotouhou.”

It has to work! This has to be what keeps you safe! Nick shut his eyes and inhaled a forceful breath. As he exhaled, he opened his eyes. “Okay. If it doesn’t work at all, then we’ll stay together.” He wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly to his chest. “Just… don’t ever worry or doubt… Of course I want to be with you, but even if we’re far apart, you’re more important than anything we have to do. You’re everything to me. I’ll always protect you with everything I have.”

“Me too. I’ll always find you and stay with you.” She wrapped her arms around his neck. “No matter what. I promise.”

“I know.” He smiled as he cupped the back of her head. “That’s the one thing I’m always sure of. I… I think I have to tell everyone about the castle and the light before we go.”

“Nick? Of course you should tell them if you want to, but...” Her eyebrows pinched as she brushed her hand through his hair.

“I keep thinking that if they know, it’ll help.”

“Sure. We’re stronger together.” She bit her lip. “Do we tell them about how we were glowing?”

“You pick.” He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “Tell them or let it be something for just us. No matter what, just you and me.”

She returned his kiss, her warm breath mingling with his.

No matter what...

Chapter End Notes:
When I originally planned the end of PNecklace, the groups were going to be the same as the end of PBox. But then I realized that knowing what happened in the castle, Kevin would absolutely insist on going to the "more dangerous" place, and was then left with the conundrum of getting rid of Brian or Minako. I ended up picking Minako because it would really hurt her and Nick (Team Dark!), but also because losing each other, their constant, would force some character development for both of them and the possibility of her dying would be enough reason for Nick to want her to go somewhere safer. So... let's see how it goes!

I also researched what happens to birds when they fall out of trees for this chapter. And I never found anything super helpful, but I did find lots of videos of baby birds learning to fly. So, if you want something cute in your life, there's a great video narrated by Oprah that you should check out: https://youtu.be/8BjYZnJEYwI