- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Edited 7/14/20
Chapter 3

Kevin did one final stretch to end his warm-up, and then focused his attention on the punching bag that hung in front of him. He took a deep breath, then brushed the red crystal of his amulet. His skin tingled, the sensation foreign to him now. Moments later he stood in his red uniform, once again Power Lord.

Eight years had gone by. He wasn’t the same man. Would he still be as powerful? He brought his fists up and swung at the bag with less than half of his full strength.

The bag nearly broke from its supports. He took a few more half-strength swings, the chains groaning with every hit.

“So that’s what it’s going to be?” a voice hissed from the doorway. “Half an effort?”

Kevin turned to see a scowling AJ.

“I’m busy,” he said, not caring how sharp it sounded.

“You think that a few days’ worth of training is going to bring you up to useful speed? Dream on. Eight years’ absence isn't something you can just dismiss."

"Did you want something, other than to bother me?" Kevin asked, steadying the still-swaying bag.

"I just wonder how much good you can actually do," he said. "I mean, you're supposed to be the almighty Power Lord, and I bet Nick could perform better than you in here."

"It's not a contest," Kevin countered. "I'm here to train, not demolish the room."

AJ marched over to him. "And you actually believe you can rescue Brian? After doing nothing for years, you can just leap in and save the day? Play the hero?"

Kevin spun, and before he realized what he was doing, grabbed AJ by his shirt and lifted him off the floor. "Despite what you'd like to believe, I'm not totally useless. Yes, I believe I can help rescue Brian. The key word is 'help'. I have no intention of ‘playing the hero’ here; this isn't about my ego. It's about Brian. Period."

He dropped his estranged friend back to his feet. "Now, unless you have something to actually contribute, leave. I have work to do."

AJ stood there for a second, a mix of emotions passing behind his eyes. Finally, he turned away and stomped across the floor, slamming the door shut behind him. Kevin sighed and went back to the punching bag, this time with more force than before. It took five swings before he broke it apart.

Another hour went by as he worked on exercises, and by the time he was finished, he was thoroughly exhausted. He needed a shower, some food, and some decent rest before he could begin the training cycle again. Halfway to his quarters, he met Zanell in the hallway. She must have seen something in his face that made her pause.

"Are you okay, Kevin?" she asked.

"I'm fine," he said dismissively.

"How did the training go?"

"It went. I'm going to fit training in three times a day until you need me elsewhere."

"Don't overdo it," she cautioned.

"The training is going to go fine," Kevin remarked. "It's the distractions I could live without."

"Distractions..."

"Let's just say that AJ needs to have something to do other than supervise my every move."

She nodded. He didn't have to spell it out for her; she'd seen the open hostility earlier. Kevin wasted no time getting to his quarters, and the much-needed solitude it offered. It was going to be a very long journey.

The corridor was black, and it seemed to stretch forever. Although he was alone, he felt a sense of dread and tried to make as little noise as he could. Something about the place scared him. The air was tense and chilled. The silence was oppressive, and he felt the need to move. So he began walking forward, not knowing what he would find. Suddenly there was a sound, coming from far ahead in the blackness. Kevin stopped and listened... and very faintly, heard it again. It was a plaintive cry, as if someone needed help. He quickened his pace and soon found himself running, panic touching at the edges of his mind. The sounds became clearer. He knew that voice…

Brian.

There was an edge of anguish to his cries that clenched at Kevin’s heart. He passed door after door, frantically trying to track the sound. Then he saw it: a single barred door, light pouring out from within. He ran to it, hearing Brian clearly now. His cries suddenly stopped, replaced by a bone-chilling scream. Kevin leapt the final distance, grabbing on to the bars with all his strength. Brian was strapped to a chair, unable to move or even turn his head. He was being tortured.

Kevin wrenched at the bars, but they didn't budge. He yelled Brian’s name, but he wasn’t heard. Kevin activated his amulet, but, to his horror, nothing happened. Frantically he kicked at the door, but again, nothing. He yelled again, but it was as if he wasn't making any sound. A thin trickle of blood began tracking down from Brian’s nostril as he screamed once more, his back arching in unbearable agony.

Then some kind of force began pulling Kevin back, away from the door. He tried to hang on to the bars, but he didn't have the strength to overcome whatever it was. He was flung back down the corridor like a rag doll. He tried to make his way back to the cell, but no matter how much he ran, he wasn't moving. Brian's cries echoed in his ears as he fought to move even an inch. As he was pulled backward, Kevin heard a scream much louder than the rest. Suddenly Brian fell silent.

Then the corridor disappeared, and Kevin found himself standing on grass. The sky was a strange green color, but everything else was familiar. Home. He was home. He turned towards the house, and Kristin appeared on the front porch, smiling, with Spencer in her arms and Natalie by her side. Kevin opened his mouth to call to her, when all of a sudden a huge rumbling noise shook the ground. He looked up and his blood froze. A huge alien ship hovered over the house; he could hear the hum of power building rapidly. He shouted at Kristin to run, but she was staring up at the ship. He tried to move, but it was like his feet were made of lead. Suddenly, a blinding flash of red light erupted in front of him. He screamed Kristin's name... But the house, his family, was gone... incinerated...

Kevin woke up with a strangled cry. He must have lain there shaking for a good solid five minutes; it took even longer for his pulse to calm. He'd had nightmares before, but this one... he didn't bother to go back to sleep after that.

The next two days passed in much the same way. He put in the three training cycles a day like he wanted and made a point of avoiding AJ when possible. But each night he was plagued once again by nightmares of Brian being tortured and his family destroyed, each time worse than the last.

When Zanell made a breakthrough, announcing she had a definitive ion-trail to follow from the ship most likely to have held Brian, Kevin inwardly rejoiced. They launched immediately. Zanell had the first piloting shift, and then it would be Kevin’s turn. He wasn't so sure about jumping into the driver's seat right away, but he was expected to do his job, and that was part of it.

He was relieved to discover that while his outer mind had its doubts, his inner mind had no trouble remembering how to pilot the ship. By the end of shift, he was exhausted. Next was Howie's turn, and when he came, all Kevin wanted to do was go to bed.

"Everything go okay?" Howie asked, studying the current navigational data and ship's readings.

"Fine," Kevin said, getting up from the chair. "She's all yours."

Howie paused, giving his old friend a long look. "You look like you need some sleep, Kev."

"Exactly what I have planned. Later, D."

He wanted to say more, Kevin knew, but he hurried out of there before there could be questions he didn't want to get into. He was just passing the kitchen when the one person he least wanted to see stepped out into the corridor.

"Well, I have to say I'm surprised we aren't shipwrecked on some asteroid. Eight years..."

"AJ, I don't have time for this," Kevin muttered, trying to push past him.

“So much for teamwork," he snapped. "We are supposed to be working on strategy and plans, but you never bother to hang around for that. Typical."

"Our first strategy session is in six hours, and I intend on being right there. And as far as teamwork... you have no room to talk."

"What does that mean?" he said sharply.

"Do you usually harass the members of your team? Put them down at every turn; make them feel like they're unwanted excess baggage? Trash?"

He opened his mouth to protest, but Kevin cut him off. "That's exactly what you've been doing to me, AJ, and it's going to stop. Either get off my back or we'll settle this in the training room. And this time I won't hold back."

For a split second, Kevin thought he saw fear. But resentment replaced it a moment later. "I still say you aren't part of this team. Waltzing in at the eleventh hour doesn't make you a team player."

"Fine. Think what you want. I'm not in this for you; I'm in it for Brian. And if you get in my way, well... consider yourself warned."

He brushed past AJ and soon reached his cabin. He entered and hit the wall, giving a shout at the sudden pain. He dropped on his bunk, trying to calm his emotions. Why was AJ so dead set against having him here? Kevin only wanted to help and he’d only received venom from the man.

Not more than three minutes later there was a knock on the door. He raised his head off the pillow in surprise. Up until that moment, no one had bothered seeking him out.

Hoping it wasn't AJ, he called out. "Who is it?"

"Um, it's Nick. Can I come in?"

"I'm trying to get some rest."

"Please."

Kevin sighed. When Nick used that voice, he really couldn't say no. It had been that way ever since they'd met, although Kevin would never admit it to him.

"It's unlocked.”

Nick entered, and then just stood there in front of the bed. Kevin noticed, then, just how much he'd changed over the years. Gone was the scrawny, gawky teenager he'd practically raised on the road. He'd matured physically, all the awkwardness gone.

"So, um, I heard you talking to AJ..."

Ah. Some things never changed. His talent for understatement, for example.

"Arguing, yeah," Kevin replied, sitting up.

"He's pretty ticked at you coming back, you know."

"I know." Boy, do I know.

"Not everyone feels the same," he said. "I think... it's just for AJ, it's harder."

"Did you come in here just to say what I am already fully aware of, or did you have an actual point to make, Nicky?"

His eyebrows arched a bit, and amazingly, he smiled. "Nicky... no one ever calls me that anymore." He shook his head. "No, I know you knew that. I was just... well, worried."

"I can take care of myself," Kevin said.

"Yeah, but... you shouldn't have to fight all that before we... um, fight."

Kevin just looked at him and waited. Sometimes that was the only thing you could do when dealing with Nick.

"Okay, that sounded weird. It's just confusing, is all."

"Sit down," Kevin offered, giving the kid a break. Nick sank onto the bed beside him. "Now, tell me what you want to tell me."

"I don't think AJ is really angry at you... you're just the most convenient target. He's scared for Brian... we all are... and the fact that we need you, really need you, this time just underlines how bad it all is."

"Maybe.” He considered something for a long moment. "Can you... would you tell me what it was like? After I left?" He pointed at the scar on Nick’s hand.

Nick glanced at it, and a serious look settled on his face. "Sure.”

Still, he seemed to hesitate before he began. “For the first couple of months after you left, it seemed like we were doing fine with just the four of us working together. But I realized that it was actually getting more difficult. Zanell said that my amulet made me the strongest of us all, but I really think it was you that held us together. We... we weren't as coordinated, although we sure tried. We never gave up, especially Brian. Whenever we fought, he just threw himself into it, like he was fighting for two people instead of one.” Nick looked up from the floor. "You know, I probably shouldn't tell you this, but if you hadn't been the one to give up your amulet eight years ago, he would have done it."

Kevin stared. "What?"

“I think he was going to, but you beat him to it. Once you were out, well... he knew we'd never make it with just three. So, he stayed."

Kevin’s ears were ringing and, just for a moment, a press of darkness seemed to cloud his vision. He shook his head, which helped.

"But... why didn't he say anything? Why didn't any of you?"

Nick shrugged. "Would it have brought you back?" He looked down and traced the ridge of his scar. "He said it was your choice, and we had to respect that.”

"I'd made my decision," Kevin affirmed. "At the time... no, I don't think I would have come back."

"Then Brian was right." Nick looked directly at him. "Once we realized that we were going to have to work harder, things got a little crazy. We had to revise all our strategies, and we made mistakes. Lots of them. But I guess we learned."

"At a big cost, I think." Kevin felt suddenly sick to his stomach.

"It wasn't easy," Nick admitted. "Even when we learned the new strategies and made better plans, it still got harder. That's when Brian..."

When he fell silent, Kevin leaned forward. "Brian what?"

"It wasn't enough that he was doing his job, and… and yours. He even went beyond that."

"What do you mean?"

Nick licked his lips. "Sometimes it seemed like he was fighting for all five of us. Zanell began to have to heal him after every mission. Sometimes, she almost couldn't. But he wouldn't stop, he just kept saying that the evil had to be met and overcome. That too much depended on us, and we couldn't do less."

A wave of cold swept over Kevin. All that time, he'd been safe, enjoying family life, while Brian...

"Stop, Kev."

He looked at Nick in confusion. "What?"

"Stop feeling guilty over that. Brian said you'd react just like you are now... that's why none of us ever told you."

"But-"

"You made a choice, and none of us had a right to question that. Although," he added softly, "most of us did, anyway." He sighed. "Brian understood about family, and he was always defending your choice. But to me, and Howie and AJ..."

"You never really agreed with it."

"No.”

Kevin sat back, trying to absorb what he'd been told.

"You asked about this scar," Nick said, interrupting his thoughts.

"Yeah... you said you barely escaped with your life the day you got it."

"I did," Nick replied. "We were caught by surprise that day. We were still pretty weak from the last battle, but we used what strength we could muster. I'd just finished taking out a group of soldiers when another one came up behind me and caught me off-guard. I barely managed to parry his sword stroke... luckily, he only cut my hand. I dropped my sword, and was bleeding pretty badly, but AJ came up and took him out before he could kill me.”

"Sounds like a really close call," Kevin remarked, swallowing against the visual in his mind.

"It was," Nick agreed. "But like I said, there were lots of them. This one just happened to leave a permanent mark."

He said it so matter-of-factly; Kevin realized there were probably much worse injuries he didn't know about.

"And the others?" he managed.

Nick drew in a deep breath. "We all had our moments. Howie was nearly blinded once... that shook us, bad. Zanell did what she could, but it was a week before his vision started to come back. AJ took his fair share of injuries, and there was a time where he was out for three straight missions in a row." He frowned at the memory. "We were way outnumbered, and they managed to overwhelm his position. If Brian and I hadn't gotten there, they would have killed him for sure. As it was, he was in a coma for nine days."

"Nine days!" Kevin exclaimed. "What-"

Nick held up a hand, stopping his words. "Easy, Kev. It turned out all right, in the end. It took a while for AJ to get back to form, and he beat himself up over being so careless. I'm not sure he ever forgave himself."

"But it wasn't his fault-"

"No, but that didn't matter. I think it was then that he began feeling guilty whenever any of us got injured. It was stupid, but nothing we said made a difference."

Kevin thought about that. "Then if he tends to take guilt on himself, when Brian was captured…"

"Yeah," Nick said quietly.

Was that why AJ was acting so hostile? It made sense. His self-imposed guilt, along with a feeling of betrayal that they’d never resolved...

"Brian never seemed to get like that, though," Nick said. "He didn't feel the guilt like AJ... whenever we were beaten down, he just tried that much harder. I swear, there were times I thought he'd kill himself rather than retreat."

What could Kevin say to that? He'd never imagined any of this was happening, and it was making him feel physically sick to realize what had gone on.

"Kev?" Nick said in an odd voice. "You okay, man?"

His voice was too shaky to be able to answer verbally, so he just nodded.

"You look kind of pale and not very okay," he said, frowning.

“I'll be fine," Kevin said, his voice not much more than a whisper. "I-I really need to lie down."

"Uh huh," Nick said. "You want me to get Zanell?"

"No," he said at once. "Just... let me be for a while, okay?"

Nick hesitated, but finally said, "Sure. You get some rest, and I'll see you at dinner, before our strategy session."

He stood, turned to go, and then looked back. Kevin waved him towards the door before he could say anything; he needed to think things over, alone. Nick left and Kevin sank back down on the bed, head spinning with the latest revelations. He had failed them, totally. Completely. He had put them all at terrible risk, all for... selfishness. No wonder AJ hated him so much.

Kevin was beginning to agree with him on that one.