- Text Size +
“Damn it!” I threw down the pencil on the drawing table and took a step back. I had been working all morning on a floor plan and it just wasn’t coming together. I stared at the drawings from a distance, trying to think of a solution to the problem. I hated having to rush ideas onto paper when I was under pressure to meet a deadline, but as an Interior Designer I met deadlines all the time for clients. I took off my glasses and turned towards the windows, wishing that I were outside enjoying the sunshine and the cool autumn breeze. Fall is my favorite time of year. I love watching the trees change their leaves. It was barely the start of September and the colors were already beginning their process.

“I need that proposal in my office by the end of today.” I turned around at the voice that interrupted my thoughts.

“Yes Dave, I’m finishing it up right now.” Dave Callaghan was the lead architect of Callaghan and Associates, one of the top leading midwestern architecture firms specializing in sustainable design. He was also the man who helped me get my start as a commercial Interior Designer.

“Good. Just make sure to-.”

“To print extra copies for your scribbles you call editing,” I smiled, “I know Dave. This isn’t the first project we’ve worked on together.”

“I am aware of that,” Dave chuckled, “We just have to make sure we are on top of our game with this one. We can’t afford to have any mistakes during the presentation Friday morning.”

“Everything will be taken care of. You can trust me.” Dave nodded as he stepped out of the doorway. I sighed and turned around to look back at the trees. I could just imagine my boys playing outside at recess. Laughing, running around with their friends, getting dirt on their clothes. I picked up their picture from the bookcase and couldn’t help but smile. They were my pride and joy. Eric was 6, Damon just turned 4 and yet they looked more and more like their father every day. Eric especially. Who would of thought that there would be another carter look alike in the family? I placed the picture down and walked back to the drawing table to look at the plans some more; I knew I needed some help.

I hit the intercom on the phone, “Jenni, will you come in here please? I need an extra set of eyes.” I released the button and placed my glasses back on. I only used them for work; it was difficult to view detailed floor plans without them. A couple seconds later Jenni walked in.

“Yes Renee.” She walked in the office, petite with bouncy red hair. Jenni had been my assistant for 2 years; we had worked on various projects together while she completed her bachelor’s degree in interior design. You could say I was preparing her for my job someday.

“Take a look at these plans and tell me what you see.” I pointed at the plans lying on the table. Jenni walked over to them and started examining. After a while she spoke, “Well, your wall section isn’t matching up right. Do you mind?” Jenni asked. Knowing that she was referring to the west wall, I nodded and gave Jenni the right away to make some changes. She picked up the pencil and started sketching quickly. I looked over her shoulder and watched her work. Jenni was great at picking up on details that I had trouble with. She set down the pencil when she was finished.

“There. You just needed to carry over the line to complete the wall,” She made it sound so simple, “That stone is going to be a great feature for the exhibit at the art gallery.”

“If it doesn’t get rejected. I hear this client is very particular.” I commented.

“Dave have you under a lot stress, huh?”

“Yes. But with good reason,” I paused. “This client is going to give us lots of recognition.” I looked over her changes again and cursed myself for not seeing the mistake. It wasn’t the first time that I’ve worked on a large construction project, but it was the first time working with a major client on a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified project that would give us more than statewide recognition. Needless to say, I was nervous as hell. I gathered up the papers that needed to be copied and handed them to Jenni.

“Take these to the printers and get back with me as soon as possible.” I watched her walk out of the office and knew that the rest of the week would be hectic.