- Text Size +
I stepped cautiously into the kitchen, weary of what I was going to find. Nick was not the best cook, but he had significantly increased in his years since me. I expected a mess, but to my surprise, the kitchen was intact. He had his back to me, putting something into the oven. I had to wonder what it was that he was baking, and why he wasn’t wearing a shirt if he was cooking. It wasn’t exactly sanitary.

“Hey, babe.” He said as he saw me standing by the island. “I poured us some champagne. Gotta celebrate your big day.” He smiled like a little boy excited for Christmas.

“Mmmm, you read my mind.” I walked closer to him and accepted the flute from his hand. The excitement left his face when he noticed I was wearing underwear under the slip.

“Hey, that’s not what I chose for you.” He ruffled his eyebrows in disappointment.

“You think I’m going to walk around exposed while you’re covered up?” I pointed at his sweats as I took a sip.

“Can’t blame a guy for trying.”

I ignored his comment and took a seat at the counter, “So what are you cooking?”

“Filet.” He stated.

“Champagne and steak. You sure do know a way to a woman’s heart.”

“Nah, just yours.” He smiled as he took a sip. He placed the glass down quickly, “Oh, I almost forgot.” He opened the door to the fridge and pulled out a bowl and sat it down on the island. “I got strawberries too.”

“Ooo! Are you sure we’re not celebrating for you too?” He removed the plastic wrap and lifted one to my mouth, and I gladly accepted.

“Nah, my day wasn’t that great.” He said without much expression as he ate a strawberry too.

“Oh no. What happened? Did they not like your song?” He shrugged his shoulders. “Nick, tell me what happened.”

“Well…” He lowered his head, “They hated it.”

“What? You busted your ass off on this song for them.”

He sighed, “I know, nothing I do is good enough. I was editing the song when you interrupted me.”

“Oh I’m sorry Nicky. What are you going to do?” I stepped off of the chair and walked around the island, climbing up on the counter next to him.

He lifted his head and turned towards my face, “I guess I’m just going to have to fly out to L.A. and meet the artist and record the song.”

“Wait, what?” I stared at him confused, “Are you joking with me? Are you pulling a prank on me Carter?” He started laughing. “That’s not even funny.” I scowled at him, and hit his shoulder.

“It is pretty funny. To think that someone wouldn’t want to work with me? I am Nick Carter by the way.” He smirked.

“Don’t get a big head, you’re not very active nowadays.” I joked back. He tried to act hurt, and I shook my head.

“I think I was just pretty fucking active tonight.” He kissed me before pulling the steak from the oven. I shook my head. Only my man.

“How was your day?” He looked over his shoulder at me.

“It was good. Long, but good.” I picked up a strawberry as I watched Nick plate our steaks. “Did you brown those first?” I asked staring at the filets.

“Of course,” Nick reached for the fridge again and pulled out a container, of what I only imagined was the other portion to our meal. “Don’t change the subject Renee.”

“Sorry, I’m just so damn hungry.” I ate another strawberry, upset that dinner wasn’t ready yet.

“I’m not giving this to you until you start talking.”

“Fine,” I sighed, “It started off rough. The client came early, something about how one of his other appointments that day got moved up so he had to move all his morning meetings up. So our proposal was and hour earlier than scheduled, and I could just not get Jenni off my back. Her and her perkiness, and knowing about the change before I did. I mean, I swear someone should have called me this morning.” I followed Nick to the table and took a seat before continuing,

“So then I meet him and I can't shake this feeling of deja vue, I know I’ve never met him before, nor heard his name, but it felt like I had. I don’t even know how to explain it,” Nick raised an eye at me, “I know its crazy. I sound crazy.” I cut into my steak and took a bite. I was in heaven. “This is really good.” I muttered with my mouth full.

“So, you’re proposal went well?” Nick asked, ignoring my ranting. Or better yet, moving the conversation along.

“Oh, yea that went fine. Dave thinks we nailed it. I don’t know how he can say that, Marc’s face was expression less through the entire meeting.”

“Marc?” Nick raised another eyebrow in my direction.

“Oh, yeah. The client. Marc Ayres. He asked me to call him Marc, and I’m not sure how comfortable I am with that.”

“Its just casual. I hate it when people call me Mr. Carter.” Nick joked.

“That’s because it makes you feel old.” I smiled at him.

“Well, it sounds like your day went well. I bet you guys find out by the end of the week that you got the job. He’d be a fool not to like your work.”

“Let’s hope,” I raised my glass to Nicks, “Here’s to our future job ventures.”

“I don’t need hope, I already have my job,” Nick winked at me, “Lets hope to round 3 after dinner.”