And then in Creative Writing... by nicksgal
Summary: Various short works from a creative writing class.
Categories: Original Fiction, Poetry/Songs Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Various Short Original Works
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 1088 Read: 10408 Published: 02/24/07 Updated: 02/24/07

1. The very first prompt....~Fiction style! by nicksgal

2. Can't we talk about it?! by nicksgal

3. Death by nicksgal

4. What? We need good characters? Psh. by nicksgal

5. What if you couldn't follow your dreams? by nicksgal

6. Half page story by nicksgal

7. For My Big Sis by nicksgal

The very first prompt....~Fiction style! by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
This is the prompt that later led to the story "With Commentary By Yours Truly," which is posted in a seperate file here. :)
"Do you even know where we're going?" I asked bitterly, clamping my hand on her shoulder.

It was snowing, again, I grumbled to myself. The third or fourth time in the past few weeks. I shoved my hands in my pockets and let out a short breath; it was a pale puff of smoke.

"Just up the street... I think..." That was my best friend, as dimwitted as ever, trying to find her was around this stupid town. And yes, I said "best friend," what's wrong with that? Not every guy has to have some steroid induced jerk ass for a best friend. Having this girl has its perks, after all. I laughed a little to myself at the thought, making her turn and give me that deer-in-the-headlights look. Yeah, that's her, always off in her own little world of pink hair ties and crap boy bands. I let out a cough and looked back at her blank stare. "Well, did you write down the directions?"

"No, Laura said it was a 'huge green house, you can't miss it'!"

Which is great, coming from the girl who has an unnatural obsession with horses and military men at eighteen. I think she's blonde, I don't remember, but even more reason to avoid her directions. "So you don't have them..."

She blinked. "No." There was a long awkward pause, the kind where you know they want to say something, but have nothing running through their heads. "But..." I knew that was coming.

I put my hand to my face and let out a low moan, "She didn't give you streets or anything?"

"Well, it's a huge green house, you can't miss it!"

~

I watched the smile grow on her face

(yup, stopped mid-sentence and a squiggle!)
Can't we talk about it?! by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
A prompt where a man makes another man cry without saying a word or touching him....

It's kind of ambiguous... But given the prompt, this is the only shonen-ai you will ever see me write....
There he was again... Cold, aloof, existing in only sudden silence. Yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, in only sudden, solitary silence.

Did you still believe in me? Was I still someone you thought of and held close in your heart?

Or was your heart also full of sudden, solitary silence? Sickening silence.

I remember when you laughed uncontrollably and cried uncontrollably because I was with you. It was a beautiful, blissful moment of unbridled emotion in your pure, and otherwise sheltered, heart. That place you kept only to yourself, and only between us. Your world of sudden silence.

(and yes, writing time ended before I got anywhere...)
Death by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
What would you think about while you were dying?

Tough subject, huh?
I wish I could tell them, all the things I could never say. Or, the things I did say that came out sounding almost hollow.

"I love you."

"I hope we're always together."

"You meant so much to me."

If I had one last moment to sit with you, in the place that was special to us, and one last hour to recount our memories one by one. I know we've done it before; it was special then. It would be special still.

For you... There must be a phrase beyond "I love you," something more that "you're the most important person in the world."

How do I convey that? It's a feeling that exists in a place beyond words, beyond time. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, and eternity. Things like that confine that one thought.

Really, there are no words.

I want to live.

I'm incomplete without you.
What? We need good characters? Psh. by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
Basically, everyone in the class had under-developed characters.... Well not me... But, meh. *shrugs*

We wrote down a list of three to five traits and passed it to our neighbor...
Overly sensitive, quiet, shy, analytical

(think they threw the last one in there for a twist?)

She hid her arms beneath long, blue sweatshirt sleeves, cloaking her fingers beneath the frayed edges. She held her hidden hand to her mouth, muffling her voice. "Why can't you come with me?" It was a faint whisper.

"I have things to do," he answered monotonously.

"What are 'things'? Is he seeing another girl? I bet that's it, he's seeing another girl. Or his sister was sick lately, maybe she's in the hospital. Oh my God, what if she's in the hospital? Does he have too much homework? What if his grades are slipping? Should I offer to be his study buddy? Did he have tryouts today? I know he said he had tryouts some time this week, were they today? Did I really forget? I'd feel horrible if I blatantly forgot..." she gave herself a mental slap as her thoughts over ran her head, causing her to pale.

She lowered her eyelashes slightly as she clenched her fist tighter, muffling her voice once more, "Is it... something I can help with?"

"No."

Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as she sniffed, trying to keep herself from sobbing uncontrollably.

(tell me again how I can't develop characters, sensei?)
What if you couldn't follow your dreams? by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
And what if it was your fault?

I had some problems with this one... Mostly trying to decide what my greatest dream was...
I think what I want most is to be an artist in Japan. I think...

I can't even begin to imagine this. It seems too scary, too dark, and alone. A world where you work to achieve something and yet have it taken from you. And it's your fault... Guilt and aloneness....

(yup, that's really all I wrote)
Half page story by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
Write an entire story on a half sheet of paper.

The key to this is... write small.
I spent the past five minutes bawling my eyes out in the triangular shaped room. What was my item? Just half a quarter. But the person it represented, that special bond and insurmountable strength, that was priceless. What does one do when they bawl their eyes out about their relationship with their best friend? They call their best friend, of course. It was one AM; his phone would be off. *Ring* Ring? I pursed my lips, considering hanging up. No. I wanted to hear his voice.

"What do you want?" he asked coldly in a groggy tone. I had woken him up, unfortunately.

"I just finished crying in the triangle room... about us. I wanted to call you." The tears streamed down my cheeks.

"It's one AM."

"I thought your phone would be off..."

"Well, it's not."

I lowered my head, "I'm sorry."

He let out an elongated sigh, "I'll call you tomorrow..."

The line went dead; why did I always make him mad when I just wanted to hear his voice?

(small and easy subjects too.)
For My Big Sis by nicksgal
Author's Notes:
Write a poem to someone of the same gender as you.
Don't get sick so much, then I
get sympathy sick
And gosh you go on a lot of dates
I wish I could be like that
What's it like having four littles?
I hope I am your favorite
Except for all that pink string,
and the creepy attic
that was mean.
But thanks for the chocolate.
It was gone within a week or two.
And I kinda
wish
I still had it.
I
really like chocolate
Big Sis
(But not as much as pancakes)
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8320