- Text Size +

Work had been keeping me busy the last few weeks. It was nice being productive person. Howie was giving me more responsibility, which I loved. I was currently completing the monthly entertainment schedule.

Howie entered the office and sat down on the couch watching me work. He seemed to love watching me work for some odd reason.

“Hey Howie. I’m almost finished with the February entertainment schedule. Where can I find the list to send to the papers, radio stations and such?” I hit the print button and waited to the stream of papers to give to him.

“Wow, you’re the most efficient worker in this joint. I think you’ve surpassed me.” He teased.

“Hardly. I’m just trying to make sure everything runs smoothly for you. I know you’re busy recording. I don’t want to you have to do extra work.”

“Emma, I couldn’t ask for a better assistant.” He walked over and took the papers from my hand. The surge of energy between us appeared yet again. I pretended to ignore it.

“Thanks Howie.” I answered shyly, tilting my head downward. I don’t know why I was acting this way. I worked with him everyday, but I still managed to feel nervous around him.

“I was wondering if you would be able to work tonight. Derek called off and we DJ Graphix tonight. I need someone to help me manage tonight.”

“Not a problem. Is what I’m wearing alright? Do I need to change?” I looked down at my dark blue jeans and form fitting black blouse.

“Emma, you look beautiful. You will look perfect for tonight.” Howie said honestly. He realized that he was attracted to Emma. “Basically I need you to make sure that everything is running smoothly on the bottom floor. You will have control over the two bars and security. I’ll be manning the VIP rooms.”

“Anything else I need to know?”

“No I think that’s it. Tomorrow you can take the day off.”

“Thanks. I’m going to take my lunch and call Nick.” I grabbed my purse and headed out.

------------------------------------

I took a seat at my favorite café. Quickly I placed my order and decided to call Nick.

“Hello.” Nick said groggily. I must have woken him up. Oh the joys of sleeping in until noon.

“Hey Nick. Did I wake you?”

“No. I woke up about ten minutes ago. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.” I swirled my spoon around in my iced tea. “What are you plans for today?”

“Not much. I’ll think I might just lie around until you come home.”

“Nick, I have to work late tonight. Derek called off and Howie needs someone to take the shift.” I told him softly.

“Emma, this is the second time this week. I barely see you anymore.” He whined. Sometimes I hated that whine.

“What am I supposed to do? If Howie needs help, I can’t turn him down.” I paused as the waitress brought my food. “I don’t want to lose my job.”

“Emma you don’t need to work. I told you that before.”

“Nick, I’m not the type of woman to sit around all day getting manicures. I like working. I feel accomplished.”

“I know you’re not that kind of woman and I do appreciate it. I just hate seeing you work these long hours and have to drive two hours to get home.” Nick sighed. He was getting frustrated with the work situation. “Can’t you find a job closer to home or go back to school?”

“I looked for a job closer to home, but couldn’t find one. This is the first opportunity I found. I like what I do. I’m sorry if it you don’t like it. I don’t have a choice.”

“Emmers, I’m sorry. It’s just I miss you. We never have any time for us anymore. We’re both so busy. I miss making love to you.”

Nick’s declaration made me lose my appetite. I loved him dearly, but I was actually relieved that we were so busy that we didn’t have time for sex. I still hadn’t told him the truth about how I was feeling about sex with him. I didn’t know how to approach the subject.

“Nick, I’m sorry for getting so defensive.  Howie gave me the day off tomorrow. Why don’t we spend a romantic day on the boat?” I offered. It would be nice to get away from everything for the day.

“That sounds absolutely perfect. I didn’t mean to be an ass. I just miss you.” He explained quietly.

“I know. Tomorrow you can make it up to me. I better finish my lunch and get back to work. Love, ya.”

“I love you.”

I placed my cell phone in my purse and enjoyed my lunch.

-----------------------------------

It was a busy night at Tabu.  It was crowded with a bunch of locals and a few dozen tourists. There were even some out of town Backstreet Fans. They were there to catch a glimpse of Howie but with no success yet. I laughed at the things they wanted to do to him. It was a good thing he was manning the VIP lounges.

It was midnight and I was exhausted. I asked the head of security to take over while I took a short break. I made my way to the office. It would be quiet and peaceful. When I opened the door I noticed Howie sitting on the couch.

“You taking a break, too?” I sat down next to him.

“I was getting the check ready for DJ Graphix.”

“It’s a good thing you didn’t come down on the floor tonight.” I took my boots off. My feet were killing me.

“Why is that?”

“Some of your devoted fans are here tonight.” I laughed. “The things they were planning to do if they met you tonight were quite interesting.”

He looked at me. I definitely piqued his interest.

“Do tell.” He smirked.

“Well if you are into orgies, I say you found yourself three willing participants.”

“That’s so not my seen. Though I do need laid.” He whispered the last part.

“What was that Howie?” I asked curiously.

“Nothing.” He mumbled. I could tell by the look on his face that he was lonely. What was a man like him doing single? He was handsome, sexy, friendly, caring, and anything a woman could ask for. Hell, why did I even care? I was happily in love with Nick. I was feeling bad for him. He deserved a nice woman to love him.

“Howie how long have you been single?” I’ll admit it, I was curious.

“About six months.”

“I’m sorry. You deserve to be loved by someone special.” I patted his knee.

“I don’t need your pity.” He groaned. This must have been a sore subject with him.

“I wasn’t giving you pity. I’m just trying to be a friend.”

“I’m sorry, Emma.” Howie looked me directly in the eyes. I got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. He placed his hand on mine. There was that spark again.  “I didn’t mean to be so rude. My love life has been nonexistent for some time. I’ve just been feeling rather lonely lately.”

“Well, there are three ladies out there willing to take your loneliness away.” I joked.

“I’ll pass on that. I’m a one lady man.” He said seriously as he stared into my eyes. I felt anxious, and had to leave the office.  Suddenly I stood up and put my boots back on.

“I better get back out there.” I rushed out of the office.