- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve - A Turn of the Tide

"You're shivering."

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine."

Rosie clung to her sling and glanced at the eggs. "It's just getting colder. I wasn't prepared--"

"Go home and get something warmer," I suggested. She shook her head.

"What if they hatch when I'm not here?"

"I'll be here."

She looked over at me. I couldn't see the expression on her face; it had gotten too dark. We were saving the light on our phones to shine on the eggs every so often.

"I don't want to miss this," she admitted quietly. "I've always wanted to see a turtle hatch."

"Me too," I said. We both leaned in close to the hole.

"Do you want my shirt?" I asked.

"You just have a t-shirt."

"I know."

"It's okay," she said.

We lapsed into quiet silence. My thoughts ebbed and flowed with the tide. As always, evening brought Lauren closer to me. Unlike always, the care of the turtles blocked the full impact of the pain. I lifted my foot and began to play with your toes. I heard Rosie give a barely audible laugh.

"What?"

"I dunno," she said. I could see the outline of her shoulders lift in a shrug. "You just don't seem like the type of guy to play with your toes."

My mouth twitched. "And what type of guy plays with his toes?"

"A fun-loving, carefree guy."

I didn't answer. I leaned forward and blew at the same stuck to the top of my foot.

"Is that how you used to be?" Rosie pressed.

"Yes," I admitted.

"I wish I could meet that guy," she lamented.

"He's completely gone."

"Not completely. You've still got your toe playing. You could work from there."

"I don't want to work from there. I just want to be like this."

Rosie clicked on her phone and hovered the light close to my face. Her green eyes reminded me of emeralds. "No you don't," she whispered.

My breath caught. Staring into her face, I suddenly didn't want to be the way I was. Little particles of snd stuck to my face and I felt them more than I had felt anything in a long time.

"I'm scared," I whispered in a strangled voice. Rosie's head seemed to move in slow motion.

"Don't."

Her head tilted slightly. I leaned forward, my eyes drifting from her eyes to her lips. She lowered the light. I could feel her breath on my skin...

"OH MY GOD!"

She scooted back, her face illuminating. "Nick, look!"

It took me a minute to shake the stunned feeling coursing through my body. She pointed for emphasis, and I looked down.

From the egg, came a small head. The topmost part of the egg fell into the sand. I held my breath as the creature struggled to push its way out. All around it, others were doing the same. First one flipper-like leg and then the other came out. The tiny turtle slid its appendages against the sand for the very first time. At first it couldn't seem to figure out how to get itself all the way out of its previous home. Finally, it slapped at the egg and turning from side to side. After a small struggle, the rest of its body slipped out. For a second it just stayed motionless on the sand as if stunned. It reminded of how I had felt just a few moments before when I had been so close to kissing Rosie. After a few more seconds, the turtle righted itself, slapping one last time at the egg. It pointed its head towards the water.

"Crawl home, little ones! Crawl home!" Rosie said in delight. She scrambled to her feet and bent at the waist, quickly rolling the bottoms of her pants.

"Nick, c'mon!" she said.

I stood up and mimicked her movements. We held both our phones aloft over the turtles, our eyes glued to their movement. Even though so many had been attacked, there was still an impressive number crawling towards the surf. Rosie and I ran with them. I laughed as they bumped into each other as if battling to see who would be first. When a wave rushed on shore and took the first one, I froze. Our phones became like electronic lighthouses, one last beacon of light before the turtles went out to find their own place in the world.

"Oh it's beautiful," Rosie said. For the second time today, I saw the tears cascading down her round face. "It's better than I could have ever imagined."

"Good luck little guys," I whispered. I stepped into the water, washing the sand away. I tipped back my head and looked up at the sky. Dawn was approaching, but the sky wasn't yet turning. A clear sky full of stars looked back at me.

Suddenly, an arm slipped around my waist. Rosie's body pressed against mine as her face sank into my chest. "Thank you," she said, her voice muffled into my shirt.

At first, my hands stayed hopelessly at my sides. A hug was such a foreign thing. It was a struggle to lift my arms. I wrapped them around her and squeezed gently. Her fingertips pressed into my back. She was shivering.

"You're freezing," I whispered. She looked up at me.

"Not anymore."

My heart tripped. Her lips parted slightly. There we were, standing in the ocean with our arms wrapped around each other. We had just spent all night saving a batch of baby turtles and watching their departure. It had been a miraculous thing.

I wanted to kiss her. The old Nick, the one who still played with his goddamn toes, wanted to remember how a woman's lips felt and tasted against his own. He wanted to run his fingers through that shock of blonde hair and expose the gentle skin at her neck, running my teeth lightly against it to see if it would elicit a moan.

But I couldn't. Lauren couldn't let me cross that line. My arms fell; I stepped back.

"I'm sorry," I said brokenly. "I can't."

Rosie's eyes were still closed, her cheek still turned. Slowly she looked at me.

"It's okay," she said sincerely.

I felt like I needed to explain further, but I couldn't. She didn't seem to expect it. She went back to the turtle hole where the shells were abandoned and picked up her shoes.

"I'll walk you back to the restaurant," I offered.

"Thank you," she said quietly.

We put our shoes back on and walked back to the restaurant. Even though we didn't touch, we walked closer than before.

"It's Friday," Rosie said.

I didn't understand at first. Friday. Friday? Oh!

"Tito should have my part," I said. Rosie nodded.

"Are you leaving right away?" she asked.

What would Old Nick do? I knew the answer. Old Nick would have grabbed her and kissed her until she forgot her name. Old Nick would have told her that he couldn't leave without having a taste of her.

"Yeah," I said, battling against that image. "I have to get going. Places to see..."

I knew I didn't sound enthusiastic or convincing, but she nodded. "I'm sure Tito will be over early."

I thought about telling her I'd stop by the restaurant to say good-bye, but the thought didn't hold any appeal. Why form another loss?

"It was nice to meet you," I said, offering my hand. She placed her own in mine. I shook it gently.

"Nice to meet you too, Nick," she said. "You're a special man."

With that, she turned and slid inside the restaurant. I heard the lock of the door. Through the glass, I caught one last glimpse of emerald eyes.

Feeling the sharp dagger pains in my heart, I headed back to my boat.

It was a good thing it was Friday. I needed to go. Rosie had almost pulled me out of solitude.

Almost.