- Text Size +
Mrs. Joseph M. McIntyre. Had a nice ring to it. I didn't have a diamond on my wedding day but that's okay because I had him. Sure the gold band was there and he promised me when this war was over that I would have that diamond that I deserved.

It was so sweet how concerned he was for me that first time. That he loved me so much he didn't want me to hurt and after seeing how well the good lord above had gifted him, the fear took over me. I didn't need him any more worried than he already was or he never would have touched me. I wanted him to touch me. I'd been a good girl and saved myself for my wedding night. I'm thankful everyday that I did because he was a kind , caring guy that wasn't only out for his own satisfaction. And trust me when I say that if I'd had any other men at that point, they would have failed by comparison.. He gave me so much pleasure and I learned all the things that made him tick.

It was the first time I'd ever seen a man naked. Our mothers always teaching us that the act itself was only for procreation. Why? Maybe so we would wait until we lay in the marriage bed with the man we loved. So we would be giving him 'that gift'. I didn't know as it was such a gift for men to break the woman they loved. We're not supposed to understand. It's a given. You don't ask the how or why. It just is. I couldn't buy all the hoopla but I didn't really care. I was in love but sadly my husband had to leave me yet again. Okay so this time he's my husband but I think I always knew deep down that he would be.

We spent our last night together at his place which was now ours. We'd fallen asleep and I woke up to the feel of him playing with my hair. As I looked up, his hand resting behind his head. I propped myself up on his body and smiled. It was nice to not have to use words to communicate but I knew he wanted to say something.”Something on your mind handsome?”

“Just you and the fact that for the first time in three days, I won't be waking up next to you tomorrow morning.”

“You have me here now. We have a couple more hours before you have to catch your train.” I raised my brow suggestively as my lips lightly brushed against his firm chest.

“What would your parents think young lady?”He teased as I let my lips work his body; my head disappearing beneath the sheet.

I took him in my hand and started stroking. I thought I was getting good at this. I felt the sheet leave my body and I looked up to him. I could see that he liked what I was doing so I took it one step further and wrapped my mouth around the tip of his masculinity. Slowly, I moved it further down until I was giving him oral pleasure. My hand worked in sync with with my mouth. His hand on the back of my head; fisting in my hair as he voiced his appreciation.

Knowing how exicted he was had my juices flowing and I needed to have him one last time before he was on that ship and gone God only knows how long. I stopped what I was doing and straddled his body. I eased onto his and moaned as my body acclimated to his yet again. I leaned over and captured his lips.” I love the way you feel Mr. McIntyre.”

“And I love the way you feel Mrs. McIntyre,”He replied as my hips continued to roll; our lips meeting as his arm wrapped around my waist. Holding me close as his thrust claimed my body from beneath.

Wow! That felt really good. His body still deep within mine,turned me back against the bed as I held on. He drew my leg up around his hip as he delved as deep as he could within me. This time there was urgency in our lovemaking and the intensity and speed with which he took me was incredible. Slowing only to taste my mouth and increase my enjoyment as his lips wrapped around my nipple.

That apparently been the trigger this time because my body went off. I was spiraling out of control. I'd felt all the joy I should have but this was something else consuming my body. I looked down to see him rolling his thumb around that part of my body that my mother told me would never make me happy. Apparently my husband knew about that joy button because it set me off like nothing you could ever imagine. I cried out his name and he followed in the surrender of my satisfaction. As he rest against me, I just held onto him, not saying a word , just praying this wouldn't be the last time I held him .


But God didn't answer that prayer. Two months later, I received a telegram at the factory where I worked. I was so numb I don't even remember how I managed to make it home. I don't remember leaving but I must have because I was at home. Alone. With that God awful sheet of paper sitting on the coffee table. Somebody must have ripped it from my hand because there was a torn corner. It still held the same disturbing news. The news I never thought I would be getting.



TO: Mrs. Evelyn T. McIntyre
FROM: The United States Naval Corps


Dear Mrs. McIntyre:

We regret to inform you that while in the line of duty, Seaman, First Class, Joseph M. McIntyre sacrificed his life serving the United States of America. We owe him our deepest gratitude.
Our condolences to you and your family.

The United States Naval Corps




I read it over and over thinking this was a mistake. There was no way God could be so cruel to me. How could he give me something so wonderful then rip it out of my hands just like that. I couldn't believe there was a God that would do that to me. I just couldn't . What was I going to do without him? He was my life and now he was gone. Gone!

I cried myself to sleep that night and woke up curled up on the couch. It was still unfathomable to me to know that my husband was now another casualty of this war. I never wanted him to go but there was nothing I could do to stop him. He'd made up his mind. The most ironic part of it all is I received the news on the anniversary of the day we met. July 17th.

I didn't know what to do. I was so overwrought and I didn't leave the house for days. I cried so much my stomach ached. People called and knocked on the door but I didn't answer. I didn't want to. I knew they were worried but without him in my life, I truly believed I couldn't go on. Didn't have the strength to go on without him next to me.

I'd moved to the bedroom. I rose from the bed and went to the bathroom. I opened the medicine cabinet and saw the sleeping pills. I knew it was wrong but I wasn't going to stay on this planet without him by my side sharing our life. I took the the small bottle out of the cabinet and grabbed the glass sitting on the bathroom sink. I consumed the whole bottle and went back into the bedroom. I held the frame holding our wedding picture in one hand and the telegram in the other. As I slipped into unconsciousness, I saw his eyes gazing back into mine. I smiled.

That's how they found me two days later. The wedding picture clutched against my chest with the telegram clutched in the other hand; resting against the bed.