- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello again :D Thank you so much to all the reviewers, you've been so kind and giving. I apologise for the lateness of this chapter. I kept writing on it wanting to find a nice place to end this chapter, lol. I hope you like this one as well.

There was an unspoken tension in the air, Hermione knew everyone in the room felt it too. She watched helplessly as Ginny repeated the spell again only to be let down when nothing happened. Harry had gone from helping his wife to cast the spell together to just standing next to her, defeated.

“It’s not working Ginny, please stop.” George pleaded and finally, breaking the silence.

“It’s not like we meant for it to happen.” Fred added.

“Yeah, we didn’t know Ron had shifted that table to the left.” George countered.

Ginny paused and looked up to her two brothers, frustration etched on her youthful face. “You could have flooed in! You should have flooed in!”

“We thought we were late,” explained Fred.

“And you know how small the fireplace is,” added George.

“so we figured while Dad flooed in…”

“We should just apparate instead…”

“And arrive here at the exact same time.” Fred finished.

“We don’t want to keep you waiting, especially Hermione.” George of course, had to add.

“Yeah, we want her to cook dinner at the Burrow more often.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. Leave it to the twins to crack a joke while their sister was obviously frustrated. Over what exactly, Hermione wasn’t sure. It was just a coffee table right?

“The fact of the matter is, you both should know well not to apparate here. What did I keep telling you both? Floo is your bestfriend!” Ginny cried. “And this…this coffee table…isn’t just a coffee table George and Fred Weasley, it’s one of the very few things left that weren’t ruined in the bloody war and mom always put our sandwiches and tea on it every night while we gather around as she told us stories of our uncles and grandparents! Have you two forgotten about that?”

Hermione’s heart fell. She turned to Harry, who incidentally, was looking at her as well. Somehow, she knew that Harry was feeling the same thing she did. This wasn’t their territory at all. This is a Weasley thing.

“Ginevra.” George approached his sister and when he offered her a hug, Ginny didn’t push him away. “We remember.”

“And we’re sorry it’s broken.” Fred said.

“But you forget one thing Ginny.” George said, ruffling her hair.

“What’s that?” Ginny frowned.

“Memories forever live in here.” Fred said, as he pointed to his chest, where the heart is.

“And in here.” George added, now stabbing his finger at his own temple.

“She’s everywhere really.” Hermione turned to find Ron coming down the stairs. He had left to put Mr. Arthur back to bed. He had quite a day at the Weasley Wizarding Wheezes he claimed and had an early dinner of KFC, courtesy of the twins and their way to incorporate something muggle for his own amusement.

There was that sadness again, thought Hermione as she watched him came down the last few steps of the stairs. It was true indeed, no matter how broken the Burrow had been after the war and the repairs done to make sure it continued to stand, Molly Weasley’s presence was felt everywhere.

“But enough about that and the silly table, I’m starving, lets eat.” Ron continued, already making his way to the kitchen.

“But-” George didn’t get to finish his sentence as Ginny glared and shook her head no, at him. “Yeah, let’s eat, I’m starving myself.”

As the Weasleys made their way to the kitchen, Harry slowed down to join her at the back. He threw her a reassuring smile and then sighed softly. “So, this is the awkwardness you guys felt around me when Sirius died.”

“Something like that.” Hermione nodded as they entered the kitchen. She muttered a spell under her breath and the dishes she had prepared appeared on the table. In an instant, the tension left the Burrow, replaced by widely grinning group of hungry wizards and witches.

“Nothing smell as good as a home cook meal!” George exclaimed as he eyed the feast.

“Blimey Hermione, did you make all these yourself?” Fred asked.

“Everything except the onion soup; Ron helped me with that.” Hermione said as she eyed the empty seat next to Ron and braved herself to sit there. Two empty seats next to her would be for Neville and Luna.

“Well Ron would be an expert on that, wouldn’t he?” George said.

“He could cook it with his eyes closed.” Fred agreed.

“You made it for me once when we couldn’t fall asleep one night, remember that Ron?” Ginny smiled.

Ron nodded. “Yeah, I do.”

“I remember onion soup on a very cold night.” Harry said dreamily. “These look amazing Hermione.”

“Thank you.” Hermione smiled nervously. “I hope they taste good as well.”

“I’m sure they do.” Ron said. “Do we have to wait for Neville and Luna?”

“Oh yeah, it’d be kind of rude if we tuck in first, wouldn’t it?” Ginny asked.

“Well, they might be hold back from an emergency, you know how it is at St. Mungo’s. I think we should just start without them, there’re plenty here for everyone.” Hermione said.

“I’d still eat if you had told us to wait.” Ron said, already reaching for a chicken wing. “I’ve been tortured by the wonderful smell coming from the kitchen all day.”

“Enough to make a starving man go mad.” Fred nodded.

“Tuck in then.” George urged as he reached for the bowl of mashed potato.

“I’m sorry I don’t cook as often as I should Harry.” Ginny said as she dipped a small piece of bread into her onion soup. “I know you prefer home cook meals than take outs.”

“Maybe you should be a housewife, this way, your five brothers can stop worrying about you.” George said.

“And then you can drop by our place and bring some of those home cook meals you were cooking for your husband.” Fred agreed.

“Or maybe you both can go find your own wife and get her to cook your meals.” Ginny retorted.

“Right then, Hermione will you marry me?” George blurted out.

“Best idea so far George.”

“I know Fred.”

Hermione almost choked on her piece of bread and stole a glance at Ron. If looks could kill, the twins would be dead by now.

“Honestly George, when you propose to someone, you must actually love the woman!” Ginny nagged.

Harry seemed content on eating his dinner quietly.

“Hermione, I love you, and your cooking skills.” George said.

“I have you both know that even if I do get married, I will definitely not be a housewife.” Hermione claimed. “There is nothing wrong with being a housewife of course.”

“And she’d like to have a say in how things are run in the family,” Ron said. “which means, you can’t test any of your creations on your future kids.”

This, for some reason, made everyone laugh. Everyone save for Hermione. She couldn’t believe it, but Ron remembered. All these time and he remembered what she had said before, under that old oak tree!

After that, her appetite grew and everyone fell into comfortable silence, each entertaining to their own thoughts while ravishing the dishes spread in front of them. It wasn’t until she stole another glance towards Ron did she realize he had stopped eating and was picking on the piece of bread and dumping breadcrumbs in the leftover onion soup.

“Did you like what I cook tonight?” She asked, resting her palm gently on his arm to get his attention.

“Yes of course!” Ron replied; surprised she had to even ask. “You wouldn’t hear those two shut up if you cook something horrible.”

“Hey!” George interjected.

“That’s rude.” Fred added.

“Don’t you guys ever get tired of finishing each others’ sentences?” Harry asked, amused.

“Nope.” Both twins replied.

Hermione ignored them and turned back to Ron. “You aren’t eating.”

“I ate!” Ron objected, showing his empty plate. “A chicken wing, mashed potato, mixed veggie and this soup.”

“Exactly my point!” Hermione exclaimed. “You ate at least three chicken drumsticks and a handful of bacon and eggs and you’ll finish it off with a couple of desserts back at Hogwarts. I had to keep reminding you not to stuff yourself too much.”

Ron shrugged. “I was a growing boy then, I ate a lot. I don’t eat that much anymore.”

“Won’t you at least have an éclair then? For dessert?” Hermione urged, already reaching for one.

“I’m kind of full right now. I will make sure I eat one later okay?”

Hermione pulled her hand back and nodded. “You better! I made them especially for you. I know how much you love everything chocolate.”

She found him under the old oak tree, looking out toward the lake. It was a bit unnerving for Hermione, to be there. Not because it was the exact same place they had both declared their love for each other, but the fact that the lake and the oak tree looked the same; undisturbed. As if the war had not just came and passed and destroyed everything within its path. As if the war had never happened at all.

Yet the very reason why she had found him there was because of the war. He was escaping reality, even if just for a while, and she felt bad for always having to pull him away from his hiding place.

She sat on the bench right under the tree – something that Charlie had conveniently placed there. She put the glass of pumpkin juice next to her and the chocolate muffin on her lap, carefully holding on to it. It was still warm, just the way Ron likes it.

There was no need to call for him, he would come when he was tired enough to sit. For now, she was content at studying the back of him from where she was. You can tell so much of a person just by the way he stands; this Hermione had learnt after days of the same routine.

Time waiting for Ron to come to her was spent memorizing certain chapters of Hogwarts: A History. She never brought the book with her on her little waiting for Ron routine but her mind never stops working. She would randomly figured out a chapter and the page and she would match that with a quote found in that page. Sometimes, the quote that she recalled would bring her back to the days when Harry, Ron and her had gone to find and destroy the horcruxes. For example, when she quoted something that Helga Hufflepuff had done, she would think about the cup and the journey they went through together to finding and destroying it.

Ron was right, she figured; it was tough for them back then, but looking at it now, it had been bittersweet. In fact, she had found herself smiling at the memories and sometimes even laughed about certain things. Like the time when they didn’t perform a counter spell properly and it backfired on them. She had a sprained ankle because of it and Harry had a deep gash on his arm that left behind yet another scar. Ron had burnt marks on his body and they were all covered in dark soot. It was horrible, they were hungry and cold and their medical supply was running low. And then Ron’s stomach started to growl. Loudly.

You know some day, we’ll think back to this day and laugh our arses off.

“You’re smiling.”

She looked up to find Ron making his way back to the bench, as always, his expression was unreadable. “Sorry, I was just-”

“Sorry for smiling?”

“Well, I don’t think it’s right to-”

“Smile when everyone is grieving?” Ron cut in again as he stood in front of her.

“Is this how it’s going to be like from now on? You’re going to finish off my thoughts for me? Like the Twins?”

His gaze fixed on her for a few more seconds before he moved to sit next to her, a glass of pumpkin juice in between them. “We need more smiles around here.”

“You could do with one yourself.” Hermione said. “I missed it.”

He turned and smiled. “I still smile you know, it’s just lately, I can’t help grimacing instead. Not by choice but I guess it’s a better trade than being six feet under yeah?”

“Ron, please…don’t…”

He took the glass of juice and had a sip before looking back at her. “Is that for me?”

She wiped away the tears and cleared her throat and then looked down at the muffin in her hands. She passed it to him and as the warmth of the palm of his hands covered hers, a pain so tight, encompassed her heart.

She missed him.

“Did you make this?”

She nodded.

“And the chocolate biscuit from yesterday as well?”

She nodded again. “I thought it’d be easier to win you with anything chocolate.”

He smiled again. “Looks like it’s working.”

“Is it really? Does this means you’ll stop pushing me away?”

“I’m not pushing you away.”

“Yes, you are, and you know it. I’m not mad you know, I think I understand why. I just want you to know, incase you’ve forgotten, that I’m a very stubborn witch and I stick to the things I believe in and I don’t intend on giving up.”

After dinner, George and Fred bid an early goodnight, having to start work early the next day. Ever since the war, the joke shop was now only a cover. The truth was, both Fred and George, like Ginny, work for the Ministry. They invented a lot of useful gadgets for the Aurors and were very influential when it comes to setting up a solid Ministry of Magical Defense for the Aurors. This little known fact was also a well-guarded secret, known only to the immediate family and friends.

Both Harry and Ginny retreated to the living room as Hermione mounted éclairs on the plate as after snacks. It had been awhile since the four of them had been in the same room at the same time, not doing much of anything and just talk. If they were lucky, Neville and Luna might just join them after all.

“Thanks for the dinner, again.” Ron said as he helped to clear the dishes away.

“You’re welcome.” She smiled. “Can I ask you something?”

Ron shrugged. “Yeah.”

“How come you never fixed the pipes at my house with one of your brilliant ring…thing?”

“Well…it depends on the condition of the pipes and the building itself. In your case, those pipes are too old to be fixed with just a simple spell.” Ron replied.

“Really?”

“Yeah…why?”

Hermioned smirked. “Nothing…just wondering.”

“Right, so…I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but I think I’m going to give myself an early night as well, will that be alright for you?”

Hermione shook her head. “Yeah, of course, it’s alright. Are you…are you okay? You’ve been looking a bit pale all night.”

“I’m fine, I’m just…tired.” Ron replied nonchalantly. “Look, I know it’s late and I’d do it myself if I’m not so knackered all of a sudden…but unless Harry sends you home, I want you to stay here for the night alright? You can have Ginny’s room, it’s not like she stays here anymore anyway. We can floo you home first thing in the morning so you can clean up and go to work but just don’t go home on your own tonight, can you do that?”

Ron’s frown was etched with worries and despite the fact that his sudden tiredness and even paler complexion was alarming her, Hermione couldn’t help thinking how adorable and considerate he was.

This is why I waited two years for him. And I’m still bloody waiting.

“Ron, calm down.” Hermione smiled. “I won’t go back home on my own, I promise.”

“Good, that’s good.”

“Now why don’t you go ahead and rest, I’ll tell the Aurors you said goodnight.”

“Yeah…well, goodnight then.” Ron said awkwardly. Hermione wasn’t sure if it’d be appropriate to kiss him goodnight. What was she to him again? Friend? Girlfriend? What?

“Goodnight Ron.” She smiled.

He nodded once again and even waved at her before climbing up the stairs to his room. She let out a small laugh, suddenly reminded of the goofy, unsure Ronald Weasley she once knew.

When Hermione entered the living room with the plate of snacks in her hand, Harry and Ginny were laughing at some talk show host on television.

“Where’s Ron?” Harry asked.

“He’s gone to bed, said he’s too tired.”

“You know you don’t have to worry too much over him.” Ginny said. “It’s normal for him to have an early night. Sometimes, when it gets too much, he takes long naps in the afternoon as well. It was very weird at first, you know how Ron is don’t you? He’s always moving around and doing something and always very loud.”

“He’s kind of not, anymore.” Harry added. “Not that it’s his fault.”

Hermione sighed. “I wish he’d let me help him.”

“Don’t we all?” Ginny said. “He takes good care of dad though, something that I should be doing.”

“Because you’re a girl?” Hermione asked.

“When it all comes down to…yeah.”

Hermione smiled. “I have you know, Ron wouldn’t have any of that.”

“How would you know that?” Ginny asked suspiciously.

“Because I know him.” Hermione smiled. “Am I right, Harry?”

Harry was smiling and shaking his head at the same time, a knowing look in his eyes. “Yes…yeah, you’re right. Crazy as it sounds, yeah, Ron would rather prefer you be out there with me even though it worries him to no end to know you’re risking your life every second.”

“Sometimes I feel like you both know my brother more than I do.”

“It’s not that Ginny. This is just something a big brother usually keeps from his little sister.” Harry explained.

“Hey, did he tell you guys about this cure Neville and Luna had been working on?” Hermione asked, changing the subject. It still made her giddy just thinking about what this could mean for Ron. More flexibility and lesser of a hassle, definitely something Ron Weasley would like to get back in his life.

And perhaps, he’d let her in too.

“Cure?” Harry asked.

“Is it for his wound?” Ginny asked, equally hopeful.

Hermione nodded, failing miserably to hide her grin. “It’s been approved for testing and they thought Ron would be the best candidate to try it out. He had his first session yesterday in fact.”

Harry grinned. “Well, this look like it’s something more than just fixing a pipe and cooking dinner to me.”

“Is that all you guys ever think about? Honestly.” After giving Harry a playful smack on the arm, Ginny turned to Hermione once again. “Does this mean he’ll be cured entirely?”

“No, not really. It uses a more advanced spell to control the bleeding and if things work out for him, it’ll even stop eventually.”

Ginny had tears in her eyes and Harry was grinning as wide as Hermione. “Oh it has to work! He deserves that much!”

“It won’t heal the wound though but the good news is, he doesn’t have to use the salve anymore, which, after what I saw yesterday, is something he’d do good without.”

Harry nodded. “Yeah, the salve was a tough one…So, he’s okay with everything then? I just thought he looked too pale tonight but if-”

“Well, he’d been looking pale since earlier today…I’m not sure what the arrangements are between him and Neville. I had to leave early for work…of course, I should check with Neville about this, we need to know about the process and the side effects if there are any.”

“I wonder what kept them tonight.” Ginny said. “We could drop by St. Mungo’s and pass them your dishes if you want Hermione.”

Harry nodded. “Yeah, I bet ten galleons those two are stuck with some kind of emergency back there. You should come too Hermione, we can floo back to your apartment from there. It’s not safe to travel on your own this late, even by floo.”

“Of course, I’d like that.”

There was a little pause as they helped themselves to some éclairs and Hermione wished she could ask them about their job but most of the tasks were kept secret and she didn’t want to put them in difficult position about it. She could offer them some insight on her job but she didn’t feel like talking about anything job related.

“So, I have a question.” Hermione blurted out. It had been sitting at the back of her mind, nagging it’s way to the front for quite sometime that night.

“As long as it’s not work related, shoot away.” Harry said.

“Why shouldn’t the twins apparate in the Burrow? Does this rule apply to everyone?” Hermione asked as she took another bite of her éclair. “Because we apparated here this morning from Hogsmeade.”

“Wait, you were both at Hogsmeade this morning? Together?” Harry asked.

“Oh honestly!” Ginny rolled her eyes. “Ignore Harry for a minute why don’t you? He’s been rather weird lately, I mean, he cried when we watched that muggle movie Titanic just two days ago.”

“Oh really?” Hermione laughed.

“Most women love a sensitive romantic guy.” Harry said, rather seriously.

“I’m not most women, that’s why you married me.” Ginny reminded him. “Anyway Hermione, remember in your fifth year when we were in Grimmauld’s Place and they apparated on his laps?”

Hermione laughed at the memory and then when it dawned upon her, every trace of smile was gone from her face. “Oh Godric no way!”

Ginny shook her head. “It was worst than that. This happened the first week after everyone left the Burrow. It was only Ron and Dad in the house and he was still coping with doing everything on his own then and it took a toll on him and he sort of…”

“He was dehydrated and collapsed on the kitchen floor and couldn’t call for help. When the twins apparated, George stepped on him.” Harry finished.

Hermione gasped. “How come I didn’t know any of these?”

“Well…Ron asked us not to tell you. It took a lot to convince you to start living on your own Hermione, he didn’t want you to come running back when you heard about the little accident.”

Hermione slumped back on her chair. There was so much she had missed ever since she moved out. This was exactly why she was reluctant to go in the first place. She refused to listen to Ron and was quite stubborn about staying around and helping him out. It really didn’t matter to her if Ron was having second thoughts about their relationship for whatever reason; she loved him and wanted to be there for him and the family that had always treated her like their own.

But Hermione is so much more than that, and Ron knew this other side of her. He convinced her to step forward and do her part in salvaging what was left of the Wizarding world.

“You know you want to.”

“I do. But I can start with you. Let me help you.”

“I have a roof over my head and I’m not starving to death, I think I’m much better off than those poor kids we read about in the Quibblers. They need your help more than I do. You’re not going to turn away from them, are you? That’s not the Hermione I know.”

“I know why Ron do the things he do, that’s just Ron. But it still hurts sometime, to be pushed away.”

Ginny reached out to hold her hand and Harry gave her an apologetic smile. “Do you want me to get Viktor? Maybe that would wake him up.”

Hermione laughed. “Oh that’d be a sight.”

An owl flying into the living room out of nowhere caught them off guard. It landed on Harry.

“Must be from the Ministry.” Ginny sighed. “Damn it, we’re not supposed to work tonight.”

“Riot in Azkaban…got to go…” Harry rushed, already reaching for the cloaks.

“What! Okay, go on then, don’t let me stop you!” Hermione exclaimed.

“Hermione, don’t go home alone tonight alright? Just-”

“Harry don’t worry, I won’t. You both go now and-”

There was a pop sound and both Harry and Ginny were gone in a blink of an eye. “…take care.”

Hermione sighed, unsure of what to do next. It was still too early to call it a night and since she would be in the Burrow, there was nothing to keep her mind busy since all her work related stuff were back home. There were the éclairs and the television; she figured that would do.

“Maybe I should check on Ron and Mr. Weasley first.” Hermione thought out loud. “Great, now I’m talking to myself.”

Making her way up the stairs, she grinned when it started to creek on the 6th step. Back then, when she was young (she knew she was still very young at 19 but wars forced kids to grow up in a blink of an eye) and naïve, she’d contribute this little founding as a sign.

Isn’t Ron the sixth child?

Ron’s heart creeks for you, Hermione.

Hermione felt herself blushing. How corny was she back then?

She reached Mr. Weasley’s room first and the overpowering smell of Lavender was undeniable. If she closed her eyes, she swear she could feel Mrs. Weasley bustling around in that room, always doing something to keep herself entertained.

Mr. Weasley was sound asleep and it brought a smile to her face. There used to be a time when he couldn’t even bring himself to step into this very room. This made her think of her own parents back home. It really didn’t matter that she spent at least once a week with them, she missed them all the time. You never really know how much you love someone until they were taken away from you. Or for her case, almost taken away from her.

Sensing that everything was in order, she left and made her way to Ron’s room, which was conveniently unlocked.

“Ron?”

There was no answer, although Hermione thought she heard his soft snores. She walked into the room almost on tip-toes and went straight for the window to make sure it was locked. The room felt cold to her and she shivered slightly. From what little light left in the room, she could see the side table lined with vials of medications. There was also a new roll of bandage and the familiar powering smell of that infamous salve, still in it’s powdered form, kept in a bottle.

It was hard to believe that Ron had been living with these for two years. Hermione remembered how back in school and even while they were away hunting for horcruxes, she’d listen to the conversations between Harry and him, talking about the future. He had always wanted to be an Auror, or keeper for the Chudley Cannons. Hermione always told him he could be whatever he wanted to be. That’s you Hermione, not us, he’d joke.

Look at him now, her heart whispered.

“It’s so unfair.”

He looked so peaceful in his sleep, albeit the still pale and parched looking lips.

Pulling the rather worn out blanket up to his chest, she took another look at his face before whispering a soft goodnight and left.

Making her way to Ginny’s room, she stifled a yawn. She didn’t realize how tired she was; all those work in the kitchen the entire day had suddenly taken a toll on her but she found herself looking forward to another fun time such as that night. Perhaps being a housewife wasn’t that bad after all? Look at Mrs. Weasley, she was a housewife and Hermione regarded her as one of her heroes. Such a strong woman and witch she was.

She sank appreciatively on the bed and allowed her muscles to relax. As she wondered the reasons behind Neville and Luna’s no show at dinner and worrying about the safety of both Harry and Ginny out there, Hermione fell into a dreamless sleep.