- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ok, I by no means think I'm a good writer and I don't want to sound concited or anything, but reading back over this one my head is kind of spinning. I hope you like!!!
Chapter 12: Prince Charming

Oh sigh! I know, right now you might need to stop and take a bit of a breather. I have to every time I get to this part of the story and God knows how many times I’ve told it now, but I was so angry I could have probably killed somebody right then. I left the shop but was way too emotional and high-strung to get behind the wheel of a car so I started walking. I didn’t know where I was going; I was just cooling off. After a couple of minutes I heard someone catch up to me and put their hand on my shoulder. “Damnit John, I don’t need a fucking lecture right now!” I yelled assuming that’s who was behind me.

“No lecture. I just wanted to see if you were alright.” Said a much softer voice.

My heart stopped when I heard Howie speak. It startled me and I whirled around so fast that my ponytail actually smacked him in the face. “Sorry.” I cringed when he blinked a hair out of his eye.

“It’s alright. That’s what I get for being so short.” He said.

One sentence out of his mouth and there was a smile on my face again. It’s amazing how he can do that, but he’s just so god damn likeable. So… charming. So… Prince fucking Charming! I let out a sigh and then shrugged. “I’ve been through worse.” I replied. I don’t know what kind of answer that was but honestly I didn’t know if I was all right. All I knew is that eventually I would be.

Just as I was wondering to myself what he was doing there, Howie looked at me with a guilty expression. “I’m sorry if that back there was because of me.” He said. I didn’t mean to laugh, but what kind of ridiculous statement was that?

“Is he your boyfriend?” Howie asked.

I laughed again. “Danny? No.” I answered but then sighed, “Not for a long, long time. That back there really had nothing to do with you. I’m afraid that’s been building up for a long time. He just used you as his excuse to get it out.”

Howie shrugged shyly not really sure what to say next. He seemed sad though. I could tell he really wanted to make me feel better and this time I kind of wanted him to. “I know I sort of blew you off before,” I said deciding to just fuck it all and go for it, “But if I say I’m sorry, would you still want to buy me lunch?”

I was relieved when Howie’s face lit up at the suggestion. He held his arm out and I looked at it curiously. I didn’t know what the hell he was doing. He laughed at me and then used his other hand to place my arm in his. God I’m such an idiot! How did I not know he was offering his arm to me? Well, I guess maybe its because no guy ever has.

I blushed and forced a nervous laugh but I could tell that no matter how stupid I felt, Howie just thought it was cute. I looked down at my hand resting gently on his forearm and smiled. That was a good place for it. Without saying anything he began leading me down the street. As we walked I felt completely at peace. It was like everything that I’ve been through lately never happened. Like the world didn’t fucking exist. Nobody had ever been able to make me feel half of what I felt as we walked up the street in silence. I glanced up at him curiously and he smiled sweetly. I looked into his eyes and god, I just wanted that man to rescue me from this place and take me home with him. I know that sounds a bit like a fucking fairy tale and I’ll be the first to admit that those aren’t real, but a girl can dream can’t she? If there were a shooting star anywhere I would have fucking wished on it!


Neither of us spoke until Gale, (I mean the waitress) asked us what we wanted. Before she left she looked at Howie and then flashed an approving smile at me. I don’t think Howie saw it but I smirked and when I smiled he smiled. “I’m glad you changed your mind.” He said, “Because I was planning to ask you again and it would have broken my heart if you’d have said no.”

“I’m sorry about the other day. I was just having a rough week.” I tried to explain but it felt somewhat pointless. “I’m also just not used to people being nice to me.”

“I know. You told me all about it on your birthday.”

Great! I was drunk and spilling all my problems to a fucking stranger. How the fuck did he get “amazing” from that? “You know I really have no idea what happened that night, right?”

“I know.”

“So you want to tell me how the hell I ended up in Nick’s bed the next morning? Because it’s been driving me fucking crazy. Even drunk I can’t imagine how I let that happen.”

“Well that’s quite an interesting story really.” Howie laughed.

“And you obviously remember it.”

“I wasn’t drinking that night. AJ doesn’t like being in bars too much since he got sober, so he took Brian home right after the game. I knew I was going to have to drive Nick home later, so yeah, I remember everything that happened that night.”

“So?”

“You really want to know?”

I thought about that for a minute. Did I want to know? Finally I decided I was probably better off leaving it a mystery, especially the Nick thing. When it came down to it, I really didn’t want to know. There was only one thing I was curious about. “Just tell me one thing.” I said making him curious, “What song did we dance to?”

Howie grinned and I blushed, yet again. “It’s just that I’ve never actually danced before and since I can’t remember it I’d like to at least know what it was I danced to.”

Howie sat there staring at me and for some reason I felt so self-conscious. I must have seemed like the biggest fucking idiot on the planet. Howie looked around the diner and then smiled at me full of excitement. “I can do better than that.” He said and then got up from the table.

I had no idea what the fuck he was about to do. Where was he going? I watched curiously as he walked across the room and slid a quarter into an old jukebox. Then he walked back over to me and held out his hand. Was he really asking me to dance right there in the middle of the diner? I looked around at the other people eating their lunch and I mush have looked at him like he was crazy. Howie smiled. “Why just tell you when I can help you remember. Dance with me.”

OK, so how fucking romantic was that? What could I do? I didn’t have any choice, my body just kind of gravitated toward him and he pulled me to my feet. God, all my butterflies were back and I swear I felt lightheaded as he pulled me against him. He put my arms around his neck and then fucking slid his hands around my waist.

When the music started he began to rock me back and forth and twirled me in circles to the music. I was fucking hypnotized by him and no longer cared if everyone in the room was staring at us. I wasn’t pulled from my trance until I figured out where I’d heard this song before. It was the same song that Leighanne had as the ring tone on her cell phone. “What is this song?” I laughed.

Howie smirked and then pulled me even tighter against him. “This is the song we danced to.” He answered, “Just listen.”

I’m really not that much of a music listener but when I do, I tend to listen to country, not pop. But, a slow song is a slow song I suppose and I have to admit it was kind of catchy. I laid my head down on Howie’s shoulder and listened to the lyrics. Really kind of beautiful actually. A love song. But there was something about the lead singers voice that I just couldn’t get out of my head. I pulled my head back up and looked at Howie as I tried to figure it out. “Something wrong?” he asked with a playful smile on his face.

I hesitated but it was driving me nuts. “Call me crazy, but doesn’t that kind of like… Brian? I mean without the accent though?”

Howie kind of giggled but then the singer changed and I recognized AJ’s sexy voice instantly. It had to be him. It just fucking had to! I stopped dancing pulled away from Howie now just listening intently. Theses city boys had me all messed up. They hadn’t just invaded my life and my heart, now they’d invaded my mind too because I swear to god I was hearing their voices. “That’s AJ.” I said, “It has to be.”

Howie laughed this time and I thought I was losing my mind. He pulled me back to him and began to spin me around again. And then he began to sing along with the chorus. I couldn’t believe what I was fucking hearing. He had the voice of an angel. “I’ll never break your heart.” He sang, “I’ll never make you cry. I’d rather die than live without you. I’ll give you all of me honey that’s no lie.”

I can’t even count how many firsts I’ve had this week but you can add romantic dance in the middle of a crowded restaurant while the man of my fucking dreams serenades me, to the top of the list. Who needs fucking fairy tales! God I just wanted the moment to never end. I laid my head back down on his shoulder listening to the beautiful sound of his voice while he sung along with the second verse.

It was a dream. It had to be. It was too fucking amazing to be real. Shit like this doesn’t happen in real life. Not to me. But then the door to the diner opened I heard the harsh sound of my father’s laugh. “Well if it ain’t my favorite whore of a daughter!”

Nope. I was right. Moments like that aren’t real. At least not for me. Nice fucking timing dad! I turned around to see my father and Pete the Pervert staring at me. Hank’s eyes darted to Howie. “Did ya fuck her yet? Hope she didn’t charge ya too much. She ain’t god damned worth it.”

“Nice hair princess.” Pete added licking his fat greasy lips. One of these days I’m gonna kick that man’s ass just for being him.

Poor Howie looked like he was going to be sick. My father’s words didn’t hurt me. I was long since numb to anything that bastard had to say. But Howie, he seemed to feel it with every ounce of his soul and that pissed me off. “Real nice dad, and you wonder why I don’t like you much.”

“You broke my fucking nose bitch.”

“You’re luck I didn’t castrate you for raping mom.”

“Ha! I’d like to see you try it Cinderella. Besides That bitch wanted it.”

I began to lose my patience. “You nearly killed her this time you know.”

Hank’s eyes narrowed and he smiled so fucking satisfied to see me angry that I half expected him to pat himself on the fucking back. “That fucking bitch had it commin’ to her.” He said and fucking cackled and evil laugh. “You should have heard her beggin me. Crying like fucking 6 year old. ‘Help me somebody, help me. Damn it Cinderella where are you!’ Fucking heartbreaking.”

Hank and Pete burst into laughter and I became so full of rage that things kind of turned red and all blurred together as I flew at him. “I’m going to fucking kill you, you bastard!” I screamed as I knocked his ass to the ground.
I jumped on him and just began punching. Pete pulled me off of him and I kicked him in the fucking balls. The ground practically shook as he hit it. He wouldn’t be back in this fight. Not today. I flew at my father again just as he was getting to his knees. I tried to strangle the bastard.

I probably would have killed him. I know I fucking wanted to. But before I could I was being dragged off of him. I was so out of it that it took Howie and two of the cooks to stop me. I fought as hard as I could as they dragged me from the building. I could hear my father screaming but the fucking coward didn’t come after me. “You ever come near me or my momma again I’ll fucking kill you! I swear to god Hank! I’ll fucking kill you!”

I didn’t realized how out of touch I was with reality until I snapped back and I was lying on the ground. Howie had my face in his hands and he was whispering something to me. I couldn’t understand him at first but as I started to calm down the words came into focus. “Cindy! Cindy! Honey calm down! It’s all right. It’s over.”

I looked into his eyes and regained control of myself. I literally shook it off and then got to my feet. Howie looked so worried and I had no idea what to say to him. I looked inside where the cooks were helping Pete and Hank into a booth. Dad was bleeding a little but really I hadn’t done much damage. Pete probably hurt a lot worse, not that the fucking prick doesn’t deserve it. I looked back at Howie who just stared at me speechless. “Let’s just get the fuck out of here.” I said.

I apologized as best I could as we walked back to my car. Then I took him for a drive. I told him a little about my fucked up family history as we went to the one place I’ve always run to ever since I was a girl, Vista Lake. It was a little bit of a drive from Hanley but hell, a drive was sounding good right then. Howie just listened as I talked. I told him my whole life’s story just about. I was sure that after today I didn’t stand a chance with him but he was really sweet to listen anyway.

When we got to the lake we walked out to the dock and hung our feet off the edge. It was nice out but it was a weekday afternoon so we had the lake to ourselves. It was quiet and peaceful and I really needed the fresh air. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Come here a lot?” Howie asked as he watched me look around the familiar setting.

“Ever since I could drive.” I admitted taking another deep breath. “Hal showed me a picture once, of my mom. He used to have quite the crush on her back in high school. She was so pretty. Sunbathing in a bikini right out there.”

I pointed out to the middle of the lake where a wooden platform floated. I sighed. “She was smiling like she didn’t have a care in the world. She looked happy. But that was before my father. I’ve never seen that woman.”

“I’m sorry.” Howie whispered.

“I used to come out here when dad finally started hurting her and I would pretend she was out here and that she was happy again. I always wished that I could be happy like that. I wanted to swim out to that raft and just soak up the sun as if I didn’t have a care in the world. Just to see what it feels like.”

God I couldn’t believe I just said that. I’d never told anyone else that, ever. I could feel Howie staring at me but I couldn’t meet his gaze. I stared at my hands in my lap. Then he stood up. I looked up just in time to see him pull his shirt over his head.

DAMN! OK, I didn’t know what he was doing and there were a million thoughts running through my head at the moment but I think it’s safe to take a quick time out to say DAMN! I mean fuck! He may be a little short but ladies don’t let that fool you. Shit, I didn’t have any idea he looked that good under his clothes. I was distracted to say the least!

I know I was staring with my tongue hanging out like a fucking dog, but Howie didn’t seem to notice. His eyes twinkled and he said, “So let’s do it then.”

Do what? What were we talking about? Like I could think of anything other than the fact that he was taking off his pants. Before I knew it he was standing there in nothing but his boxers. “What are you doing?” I asked and I fucking meant it.

“It’s a beautiful day to get a tan.” He said, “You can swim can’t ya?”

“But?”

“There’s nobody here but us. Lets just swim out there and lay out like we don’t have a care in the world.”

Howie winked at me and then took off running. He jumped feet first into the water. When he surfaced he smiled at me. God he looked good all wet. “You coming or not?” he asked and then headed for the middle of the lake.

I took a deep breath and then shed my clothes. I couldn’t help but smile as I pulled my shirt off and saw the silky red bra. Thank you Leighanne for insisting I need more than one pair of “sexy” underwear.

I couldn’t believe I was doing this but I stripped down to my bra and panties and dove into the water. I mean if you think about it, It’s not much different that a bikini. A little sexier maybe, but that’s not such a bad thing.

The swim out to the platform was longer than I realized and I was out of breath when I got there. Howie pulled me up and I fell on my back. I lied there catching my breath and Howie laid down next to me. Neither of us said anything for a few minutes. I closed my eyes and stretched letting the sun beat down on my skin. God it felt so good. “It’s just like I imagined it.” I whispered more to myself than anything.

“And I bet that smile on your face is every bit as pretty as your mommas picture.” Howie whispered back.

I opened my eyes to see Howie propped up on his side staring down at me. He was so fucking perfect. I know he didn’t have any idea what he’d just done for me, to him it was just a spontaneous swim, but for me, it was so much more. It was freedom.

In that moment I fulfilled a dream that I’d always wanted and thought I could never have. Right then I was so happy. If I could do this, why couldn’t I do anything I fucking wanted? Why couldn’t I own my life instead of it owning me? For the second time in my life I felt tears well up in my eyes, but this time it felt different. Happy tears are so much different than sad tears. I was overcome with a whole different kind of emotion yet I was every bit as overwhelmed. I got a grip on it fast though and smiled back at Howie. “Thank you.” was the only thing I could think to say.

I closed my eyes again just wanting to make the moment last as long as I possibly could. I lied there until I felt that same magical soft touch from the fucking hotel elevator. I couldn’t make my eyes open, it felt so fucking good. Goosebumps, all over my skin and fucking chills on the inside. Finally I opened my eyes. Howie was running his index finger up and down my arm like he just wanted to see what I felt like. God I was ready to make love to him right fucking there in the middle of the fucking lake.

I couldn’t help it and my whole body tensed up. He realized I was staring at him and he nervously pulled his hand away from me. I just wanted to scream out, “Oh God, don’t stop!” but somehow I managed to keep quiet.

There was more silence and then Howie smiled at something he was thinking about. I questioned him with a look he said the last thing I expected. “So, Cinderella.”

Normally that was a word that would get you beat no matter who you are but I was so shocked to her him say it that I couldn’t react. “Is that really your name?”

He was smiling but not laughing. I was still in fucking shock and just stared at him like a dumbass. “In the restaurant,” he continued obviously having no idea how delicate a topic this was, “You’re father kept calling you Cinderella.”

“Nobody calls me that except my parents, and I mean nobody.”

I didn’t mean for that to sound like a threat but looking back it may have just been one. I kicked myself the instant I said it and I felt like a total jerk. He didn’t know. How could he? But he didn’t seem to mind. I don’t think it fazed him at all actually. Instead he began running his fingers along my skin again. (yeah, he was forgiven.) “That’s too bad.” He finally replied. “I kinda like it.”

Did he really just say that? He lifted his eyes to mine and smiled. “I’ve never known a Cinderella before. (hmm big fucking shocker there.) “But I’ve also never known anybody like you before.”

Oh God I’m such a sucker! He had me hook line and sinker and he fucking knew it. I looked up at him too nervous to do or say anything and I just watched the smile on his face fade. He slowly began lowering his face closer and closer to mine and his eyes turned from playful to passionate. Holy shit was he about to-

His lips brushed mine for only a brief second making me desperate to kiss him. He was drowning me in my own fucking desire. He scooted himself right up against me and then brushed the back of his soft fucking hand up the side of my face combing my new, wet bangs back. “Cinderella.” He whispered reverently and then threw his lips delicately onto mine.

I could have died right then and gone to fucking hell and I still would have been happy for all eternity. He tasted so sweet the way his lips gently tugged on mine and the way his tongue seemed to pull me closer to him. It was the kiss to end all fucking kisses. The kiss at the fucking end of the book. Fireworks. Passion. Romance. Longing. Desire. All fucking rolled into one soft, gentle kiss.

Love.

Fucking true love’s first kiss! Fuck fairy tales! This was real and right now there was no one to ruin our fucking moment. God! I just wanted to feel his lips on mine forever but eventually he pulled himself back. He sat up and I barely managed to do the same. My breath had been stolen away and my fucking heart along with it. I felt weak all over and I was shaking. Howie saw the shivers and pulled me into his arms. He squeezed me tightly and kissed the side of my head. I just let him hold me.

I have to say it. After all that the only word I could think of to describe that moment in my life was fucking amazing! AMAZING! Then he opened his mouth to say something again but hesitated like he was piecing together his thoughts. Finally he asked, “Did you mean what you said earlier today? About leaving?”

The question kind of threw me for a loop. It seemed so out of the blue. But I knew the answer. “Yeah, I did.” I said.

“Do you know where you’re gonna go?”

Oh god, how the hell would I know that? I had nowhere to go. Everything I knew was this town. I released a long sigh and then said, “I don’t know, I don’t really care as long as it’s far away from here.”

“What about Florida?”

I turned so that I could see into his eyes. I thought he was joking but he was one hundred percent serious. “Florida?” I asked. “What’s in fucking Florida?”

Howie shrugged. “Me.”

Was he saying what I think he was saying? “It’s really nice there.” He said, “You might have to get used to city boys, but I have a place there. It’s kind of all right. Has a guest room… or two. You know… if you needed a place to stay.”

I couldn’t believe it. Was this really happening? To fucking ME? I didn’t know what to say. Howie smirked, “I should warn you though, that would mean living in the same state as Nick, but we could lock him out if we had to.”

Holy fucking shit! He was being fucking serious! I sat there and stared at him for so long that he eventually got tired of waiting for me and pulled me in for another kiss.

I’d like to say that this was where the story ends, but I’m sure you know that, that simply isn’t the case. There is so much more to this epic tale of tales, but had I known just how much I would have put the two of us on a fucking plane right then instead of waiting around to go to some fucking ball. But fate, as it seemed, was about to take its coarse.