- Text Size +
Chapter 1: Once upon a time

I really hate to sound cliché, but hell, once upon a time really is the best way to start a story. When somebody says the words ‘once upon a time’ you know you’re in for a ride. And well, there’s really no other way to describe what happened to me. So, that being said, once upon a time on my 28th birthday, I just knew trouble was headed my way. Can’t exactly explain it but from the minute I woke up I just had this un-nerving feeling in the pit of my stomach.

It was a Thursday, not that it mattered, and I got dressed for work same as I always did. I quietly snuck out the door so as not to disturb the sleeping dragon in the room next door. She was so wasted that she’d drunk herself into a coma the night before and surely wouldn’t remember exactly what happened. Nor how much she owed me one.

Before I walked out I quickly checked my make-up in the mirror. Not the kind of make-up girls put on to make themselves pretty. Well, the same kind I guess, but I only used it to cover up what I could of the fresh bruise across the left side of my face. You see, Dad showed up last night and got a little physical with mom before I got home from work. The damn bastard gets off on beating helpless women. You could hear the commotion from the entrance to the trailer park. Nothing says welcome home like, “Suck my dick bitch before I break your fucking face.”

I heard mamma whimpering for help as I walked inside. Daddy bloodied her up pretty good this time. “Get the fuck out.” I said coldly when I found them.

Daddy forced a smile at me but we both know the prick is afraid of me and he instantly stepped away from my mom. “You gonna stop me darlin’?” He slurred through his drunkenness, “We all remember what happened the last time you did that.”

“Yeah, you’re a fucking big shot, beating up 14 year old girls and drunk women. I’m not afraid of you.” I said standing my ground.

That’s when he flew at me. He must have been piss drunk this time because in the last 24 years he’d never had the balls to try it. He really surprised me; caught me off my guard. That’s the only reason he got a shot in. It was a good one too. Knocked me on my ass, the bastard, I’ll be popping the Excedrine for a week now. I got up quick enough though and it didn’t take much to lay him out after that, two or three punches is all. Then I dragged his ass into the back of his own pick-up truck and hauled him down to the sheriff’s station. We’re on a first name basis over there. All I had to do was hand the clerk my daddy’s keys and they knew. My face was starting to swell by the time I got there so Daddy will be in jail for a good week this time.

Anyway, fast forward back to the next morning, my birthday. I had a massive headache and my face was throbbing. I was surprised as how bad it looked. I didn’t know how much a face could swell. I think maybe he cracked my cheekbone but I sure as hell can’t afford a trip to the ER for an x-ray just so they can tell me to go home and take some asprin, so I popped a couple of painkillers and went to work. I was running a little late so Danny and John were already workin’ on Mr. Thompson’s old Ford. Piece of shit car was in our shop more than he drove it but he was old school and refused to drive anything else.

I breezed past them heading straight for the office barely hearing the shit they were giving me for being late. I knew they were joking but I just wasn’t in the mood. I slammed the door shut behind me and poured myself a cup of coffee. I didn’t come out of the office for nearly 20 minutes. Thy guys had known me long enough not to bother me and I was grateful for the privacy. I may be the toughest girl on this planet but even I can’t be strong all the time.

I never cry, ever, but that morning was the closest I’d ever come to it. Not because of what happened the night before, but because I was just fucking tired of all the shit. No matter what happened it seemed that shit was always waiting for me somewhere and for the first time in my life I felt like I just couldn’t keep doing it. But I had no choice and I knew it. I also knew that if I stayed hold up in the office for more than a half and hour the guys were bound to break the door down, so I sucked it up, finished my cup of coffee and taped up my hand. – I may have cracked a knuckle or two last night as well but shit, that pain was good pain.

I pulled my long dark ponytail through my baseball cap and let out a deep breath as I met their curious eyes for the first time. Danny saw my face and his eyes filled with anger. “I’m gonna kill the son of a bitch! You tell me who did it Cin! Was it Hank? I’m gonna kill the fucker!”

You have to understand, Danny is very protective of me. The night my dad nearly killed me, I went to his house for help. He was always kind of sweet on me and I was so insecure. I needed to feel safe that night and that’s exactly how Danny makes me feel. He cleaned me up and then held me all night long. It was the most violent and yet the most tender night of my life. I lost my virginity that night. Danny and tried to date for a while but we really are just made to be best friends. He’s the big brother I never had.

“He’s in jail, alright? Just relax and don’t worry about me, I guarantee he feels worse than I do right now.” I said forcing a harsh laugh as I showed him my bandaged hand.

John grabbed my hand and examined it closely. He was clearly upset but it wasn’t anger like Danny. His was more worry. John always worries. Not just about me, but about everything, although I suspect he worries about me the most. John is the most girlie of the three of us but that ain’t sayin’ much. Some days I have half a mind to accuse him of being in love with me but because of my history with Danny, he’d never say it.

One night when I was 17 and Danny was dating this tramp from the town over one, John and I got a little too drunk and well, like I said, I’ve fucked ‘em both. Danny and I had long since been over but that didn’t stop him from being a jackass and over reacting about the whole thing. He gave John his first shiner and then didn’t speak to either of us for at least a month. Eventually we all got over it and decided that sleeping with each other should be a thing of the past. We’ve been like siblings ever since.

“You sure you’re ok?” John asked me knowing I probably wouldn’t tell him even if I wasn’t.

I simply nodded and Danny broke the awkward silence before it could begin. “Alright then, this piece of shit’s not going to fix itself.”

“I got this one boys. I feel like beating the shit out of something. You can do the 50k tune up on the Toyota.”

Danny and John didn’t question me. They both knew better than that. Besides, I was by far the best with a mystery and Mr. Thompson’s Ford was always a challenge. The guys left me alone to cope the only way I knew how, by getting’ dirty under the hood of a car. Like I told you, cars just come easily to me. It’s like I’m in my zone or something when I’m tinkering with an engine so I happily leaned far over to see if I could figure out what was wrong with her today.

I heard the familiar sound of Pete’s tow truck roll up the drive but I didn’t bother to acknowledge it. I was in no way ready to deal with that son of a bitch today. The pervert practically drools every time he sees me. His breathing gets all heavy and then he hurries back to his truck as if we don’t all know what he’s doing under the steering wheel. Fucking hick.

John went out to greet the frequent client and I heard the sound of unfamiliar voices. Three of them, male. Definitely not from around here. City boys. My curiosity was peeked and I glanced over my shoulder trying to get a look at the strangers. There was a tall blonde. By no means fat but definitely a little on the stocky side. Not really my type at all. He walked with his chest slightly puffed. I bet he’s a cocky little prick.

He was joking around with a – Hello, what do we have here? Shaved head, tattoos, big brown eyes and a rock hard body showing through his tight white tank. Everything about him screamed trouble. Nothing wrong with getting a little city boy every now and then, DAMN! I felt myself getting a little hot so I quickly focused my attention back on the car.

Wait, there was three. Didn’t I say I heard three voices? I turned back around but the only person still there was fucking Pete, undressing me with his eyes. Fucking pervert. I shot him a warning look. Danny saw the trouble behind it and quickly stepped in before I beat the shit out of the fat fuck. God I hate that man! Danny shooed him off, no doubt to go jack off to some twisted fantasy involving me. I went back to work having completely forgot all about the strangers that had arrived with him.

I was still fuming over Pete and never heard the office door open. Before I knew it Danny was dangling a set of keys in my face. “Ever had the pleasure of a Beamer before?” he teased as if I actually make love to the cars or something.

“Fucking city boys and their fucking Beamers! Expensive pieces of shit ya know.” I spat without looking up. “What fucking rich prick drives his BMW around a shit hole like this?”

“That would be my best friend.” I heard someone smirk, “And he’s really partial to his ‘piece of shit’ so I’d appreciate it if you would take as much care of it as you do this fine looking ass of yours.”

My fingers clenched into fists at his comment about my ass, but when I felt the stranger’s hand reach out and grab a handful I lost it. “What the fuck!” I screamed.

I whirled around and without warning punched the guy’s fucking lights out. Danny must have seen it coming but made no attempt to stop me. In fact if I hadn’t done it I’m pretty sure he would have. I shook my head in shame disgusted by how easily he went down yet it still brought me satisfaction. “Fucking city boy!” I smirked as I stepped over the blonde nearly twice my size lying in a daze on the greasy concrete.

I stormed off to the office before I could do more damage. I’m pretty sure I heard the fine motherfucker laughing about the whole thing, but I didn’t stop to find out. I swung the office door open just as John was coming through it with the third and final city boy. The one I hadn’t yet seen. They scared the shit out of me and I screamed. “Jesus fucking Christ!”

I’m not sure why but the poor stranger nearly froze when I yelled. I don’t know if it was fear or surprise or what but it was almost pathetic. This guy seemed different from the cocky prick on the ground and the fine fuck who seemed to think he was don juan or some shit. No, he was different. Shy or something. He stood only an inch or two taller than me, which for a man is a fucking short. Dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin, like he was part Mexican or some shit. But not like any Mexican I’d ever seen, his features were soft, pampered. Maybe he was gay?

Whatever the fuck his deal was, he seemed confused as his eyes shifted from me to the blond. “He’ll think twice before he grabs a woman’s ass again.” I explained before I slammed the door to the office shut for the second time that day.

I kept myself busy in the office with random paperwork until the fuckers left the shop. Honestly I should have thanked him I guess. I really did feel better after I hit him and it made for a good laugh the rest of the day. “You workin’ Hal’s tonight?” Danny asked me before I left.

I actually laughed at the ridiculous question. “You can’t be serious. Kentucky’s playing Duke. Everyone in the fucking town is going to be there tonight.”

Danny smirked realizing the stupidity of his comment. Small towns take their college basketball very seriously. “Just don’t kick anyone’s ass if we lose.”

“You know I can’t promise that.” I teased him back

Danny and John both seemed glad to have me back after the shitty day. John grinned wickedly. “What’d ya say we close the shop tomorrow and get piss-ass drunk tonight in honor of Cin’s birthday?”

“Fuck ya!” Danny hollered.

“Close the shop? You mean take a three day weekend?”

“It’s my fucking shop. I can close it whenever the hell I want.”

“And the city boy’s Beamer?”

“Let the mother fuckers wait!” John smirked.

I love John. He’s really the fucking greatest sometimes. I may complain about my life a lot but I really do have the best friends anyone could ever ask for. He saw the smile creep over my face and that was that. Within ten minutes the shop was dark and sign written on a large greasy piece of cardboard hung in the window reading: shop closed ‘till Monday due to some serious fucking hangovers. I smiled when I saw the “Happy fucking birthday Cin!” added at the bottom. Maybe today wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.