- Text Size +
The Lincoln pulled into the parking as Anita stuck her head out the window and took a whiff of the misty, sticky and salty air. “Wow this is what the beach smells like” she laughed as she sat back down and looked at Nick, who was amused with her excitement.

“Well come on you’ve got lots more to see.” He took her hand and helped her out of the car “So I thought we would go to dinner first and then take a walk. What do you think?”

Anita smiled broadly and nodded “That sounds great Nick. Just one thing we aren’t’ going to a fancy place are we? It’s just that those places make me nervous.” she shivered as they made their way up the stairs to the pier.

He laughed as he took her arm into his “Well it’s fancy, but not that bad. It’s a Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier. Come on” But Anita came to a halt as she stared at the pier “Oh hell now…that is over the water, what if we fall in or what if this thing falls off…seriously. Who makes something like this.”

Nick was intrigued by her modesty and chuckled “Come on your with me, I’ll save you if something happens.” she smiled, it seemed to be all she could do every time she looked into his blue eyes.

They made their way down the pier and into the restaurant.

They were seated right away and everyone seemed to be staring at them, Anita moved from one side to the other in discomfort. Nick noticed and gave her a grin “Don’t worry it’s definitely not you. It’s me…that’s what happens when a Backstreet Boy wants to have a decent meal. So tell me about yourself.”

Oh god this is the part where I start to lie…and tell him I live in a nice home…well I can just pretend to still have my old life.

“I live in Summerlin with my sister and my mom.” he took a sip of his beer “Oh so you have a sister? Why didn’t she come with you?” These questions are going to get harder…I better scarf down my food so we can get out of here.

“She didn’t come, cause she had to work.” I’m off the spot…that was a close one.

He nodded “I see…what does she do? How about your mom and dad?” she cleared her throat as she looked around the restaurant for some help. “Uh…well my sister works at…” she paused trying to scan decent places to work in Las Vegas. “She’s an usher for the shows at Mandalay Bay.”

“No way that is crazy…we were there a few years ago. Shoot I probably saw her and didn’t’ even notice. How about your mother?” he took another sip of his beer.

“Oh my mom…she stays at home right now. As for my father he passed away about six months ago.” her eyes became glossy as she remembered her father and that fateful day.

“Oh sorry didn’t mean to get you upset, just want to get to know you. So lets change the subject. What about AJ? How are you guys related.” Oh fuck! I wonder what AJ said, what if I answer wrong…I could say through my dad…God! Help me! Think Anita…think

“Hey are we done I really can’t wait to get my feet in the sand.” Anita changed the subject instantly. Nick paid the bill and they headed back down the pier, she held onto his arm tightly as she looked around admiring the beautiful view and how endless the beach was.

As they reached the sand, Nick began to remove his shoes and socks, as Anita stared at him. “What are you doing?” she asked a little puzzled as she shivered again.

“Well it’s not really comfortable to walk in the sand with your shoes on. But you can try if you really want to.” he began for the water, she just stood there a little nervous about putting her feet in the sand, hell no was she taking off her shoes.

She reached him and they walked next to each other, all of a sudden Anita fell face first into the sand, “Holy shit are you ok?” Nick helped her back up to her feet.

As embarrassed as she was, the laughter was choking her “Oh my god your right, it’s hard to walk with shoes on.” they both laughed as she also removed her shoes and they both ran towards the beach.

“It’s cold.” she shouted as the water splashed at her feet “No that is nothing come on let me show you what cold is?” Nick pulled her closer to the water, they stood next to each other as the wave tackled them both down.

They laughed and played with the water as the waves came and went. Anita felt like freezing that moment, for the first time in her life, she was having decent fun.

“So do you have a boyfriend back in Vegas?“ Nick asked as they waited for what they could make out as a wave in the distance. She blushed, luckily he couldn’t tell how nervous he made her feel.

“No I don’t and I’m ok that way. How about…“ before she could finish, she remembered that Casey had mentioned his heart being broken and she sure didn’t want to open that can of worms. But before she could rephrase herself he had caught the question.

“No not anymore…she cheated on me and I hate her. I don’t believe in loving anyone ever again. Women can really be cruel.“ he stated bitterly, but before Anita could answer, a wave came tumbling right over them, making her fall right onto him.

They stared at each other, his dreamy blue eyes made her float off, all she would of liked was for him to lean in and give her, her first real kiss. They became so quiet all that could be heard were the voices in the distance and the waves colliding with one another.

As Nick brought up his head to lean in, another wave came through, knocking Anita right off of him, killing the whole moment. She was disappointed as he decided that it was late and time to go home now. The way back was quiet and somewhat uncomfortable she was kicking herself for even bringing up the old girlfriend.

Finally they were home, she was so beat her back ached “Well I had a great time Nick, thanks a lot for the outing.” she smiled and kissed him on the cheek, before he could answer she dashed to her room.

Nick stood his mind plagued with the thought of Shannon, he found himself thinking if Anita was trustworthy, he had to admit she had been lots of fun and he had almost kissed her, if it wouldn’t have been for that damn wave. “Just go to bed Nick” he told himself out loud and headed to bed.