- Text Size +
Tampa, Florida
Twenty-one years later


Nick paced a rut in the floor.  Checking his watch every ten seconds, he worried and studied the arrivals list in the airport terminal.  Running a hand through hair that was slightly silvered, he swore under his breath before he pulled out his cell.

“Nick, hi!”

He automatically felt slightly better hearing her voice.  “Hey, babe.  Listen, I’m going crazy here.”

“The flight hasn’t landed yet?”

“Apparently it landed half an hour ago, but she’s not here yet!” Nick ignored the people who stared at him.  “I mean, she should’ve been out by now, right?”

“Maybe the baggage claim is stalling.  Nick, you shouldn’t worry so much.” She tried to soothe him.

It didn’t help.  “Not worry? How can I not worry? I hate every time that she flies out by herself because anything could happen to her.”

“She’s twenty-one years old, Nick.  Besides, she’s a responsible adult now.  I don’t think you have to be so scared.”

His eyes constantly scanned the passengers streaming out the doors.  “Twenty-one is nothing, Cara!”

“This coming from the man that had flown all over the world by the time he hit that age?” There was a smile in her voice, and he had to admit that he did sound pretty silly.

“Okay, okay maybe I’m overreacting a little bit.” Then, he spotted her, and the world was steady again.  “She’s here.  I’ll see you in a bit, baby.”

“Great! Tell her I’ve got a great welcome home dinner waiting for her.”

“Will do.” Nick turned off his cell and hurried to meet his daughter.  When Sydney saw him, she, too, started to rush towards him, a huge grin on her face.  He crushed her into a big bear hug before letting go of her.  “Oh, man, have I missed you! It’s so good to see you, kid.”

Sydney let herself cling to her father for a moment longer.  “It’s good to see you, too, Dad. Christmas was forever ago!”

“I know.” Nick grinned as he tousled her rich red curls.  Her hair, the same shade as her mother’s, fell to her shoulders.  “You cut all your hair.  It used to be, like, halfway down your back.”

As they walked out of the terminal and towards the parking lot, Sydney touched a hand to her hair.  “I thought it was time for a change.” She studied her father for a moment.  “You’ve got some more wrinkles, old man.”

“Get out.  I do not.” Nick ran a hand over his forehead.  “Don’t lie to your dad.”

Her blue eyes, so similar to his, sparkled with humor.  “I’m not lying.  But it’s okay.  You look distinguished.  I bet all the women still swoon over you.”

Nick grinned.  “They always have.”

“Wow, Dad.  Anyone tell you that your self-esteem is through the roof,” she teased.  

He stopped by his car and shook his head.  “It’s good to have you around again.  You’re always good at keeping me in line.”

“Hey, it’s what I’m here for, old man.” But she hugged him back when Nick enveloped her in his arms again.  “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you, too.” He stepped back and started putting her bags in the trunk.  “So, you’re here all summer, huh?”

She nodded as she climbed into his car.  It was a stately BMW sedan—a far cry from the convertibles her carseat had been buckled into when she’d been younger.  “I still can’t believe I was lucky enough to get that internship in Tampa.  It’s perfect.”

“Yeah, now I get you for three months instead of half that time.” Nick started the car and didn’t bother to think about how annoyed Spencer probably was at the fact that their daughter wouldn’t be in Nashville that summer.  “Lucky me.”

“You’re not touring or anything, right?” Sydney buckled her seatbelt.  “I’d hate to be at your house and not see you.”

Nick shook his head.  “Nah.  Not this summer.  There’s a charity event we’re doing in Orlando at the end of August, but that’s a one day thing.” He reached over and tugged on her hair.  “You should come with us, Syd.”

Sydney smiled at the thought.  She loved seeing her father and his friends perform.  They’d been doing it for years, and she secretly thought they’d gotten better with age.  While they didn’t perform as often as they had in the past, the Backstreet Boys always tried to tour a little every year.  Their last studio album had come out nearly three years ago, but they were still riding off of its success.  She knew people thought they were washed up, but she loved them.

“I’ll have to find out if I can get off work that day,” she said as the car entered the highway.  “I’d love to go.  How are the others?”

“They’re great.  Kevin’s going to come down next weekend with Mason and Kristin.”

“Really?” She loved hanging out with Mason.  He was only a year older than her, and they’d always been close.  “That’s great! I can’t wait to see them.”

Nick smiled.  He couldn’t wait either.  He hadn’t seen Kevin in months, and he had big news to tell the man he’d always considered his big brother.  “Well, we’ll see them soon.  In the meantime, Cara wanted to let you know that she made your favorite for dinner tonight.”

“Really? Cool.” Sydney studied the city as they drove through it.  “How’s she been doing?”

“She’s great.  Really great.”

She turned to look at him, hearing his voice soften.  “Yeah?”

“Of course.  But, we’re almost home, so you’ll be able to see her for yourself.  She missed you.” Nick took their exit.  “We both did.  I wish you’d been able to make it by for spring break.”

Sydney didn’t bother to sigh or regret.  Whenever she was at either parent’s house, they lamented about the fact that she wasn’t at their house often enough.  Once upon a time, it had made her feel guilty, but not anymore.  After all, she wasn’t the one who’d decided not to get married.  Still, she’d been shipped back and forth between Nashville and Tampa all her life.  During the school year, she’d stayed with her mother, but for every holiday and break, she’d visited with Nick.  She’d never really felt a lack of love from either parent, but, every Christmas, she’d wished for a miracle that would bring them back together.  Nearly fifteen years of wishing hadn’t gotten her what she’d wanted.

When she was quiet for a while, Nick glanced over at his daughter.  There was a frown on her face, and he winced, knowing his words had put that look on her face.  “Hey, don’t worry about it.  I’m glad you’re here now.” He patted her hand.  

Sydney didn’t say anything, but, knowing he needed it, she smiled.

***

When Sydney stepped in the front door, she had a moment to look around for any changes before she was caught up in a hug.  

“Sydney, honey! Oh, I’m so glad you’re here.” Cara held on for a moment longer before stepping back to study Nick’s daughter.  “I swear, you just get prettier every time I see you.”

Sydney smiled.  “I’m glad I’m here, too.  You’re good for my ego.  And, hey, you look great, too!” It was true, Nick’s girlfriend of three years seemed to defy age and look better the older she got.  At forty-four, her skin was naturally smooth, her dark brown hair barely touched by gray, and there wasn’t a trace of wrinkles at the edges of her pretty green eyes.  “Gosh, I hope I age as well as you do.”

Nick slipped an arm around Cara’s waist.  “I always feel like her dad whenever we’re out in public.” He chuckled when she poked him.  “Hey, you know it’s true.”

“Whatever.” Cara turned to Sydney.  “Last week, your father and I were at a restaurant, and the waiter told Nick his daughter was beautiful.”

Sydney’s eyes widened.  “He didn’t!”

“He did.” Nick shook his head.  “He was definitely flirting with her, too.” He brushed his lips over Cara’s temple.  “Weird as it was, it’s nice to know I can attract someone as perfect as Cara.”

“Please, you know you don’t look old.”

“Nah, he just looks distinguished,” Sydney put in, earning a glare from Nick.

He put his hand over his heart as though he were wounded.  “My own daughter.  No respect.  You just have no respect for age.” But he grinned as he said it.

Cara squeezed his hand before slipping an arm around Sydney’s shoulders.  “Why don’t you go on up and get freshened up? Dinner’s just about ready.  The old guy and I will set the table.”

Sydney ignored Nick’s insulted voice and kissed Cara’s cheek.  “Thanks. I’ll be right down.”

When she was gone, Nick beamed.  “She’s perfect, Cara.  She’s everything I could’ve hoped for.”

Cara took his hand in hers and led him into the kitchen.  “It feels like we were at her high school graduation last week.  Now, look.  God, I feel old.”

Nick tipped up her chin and kissed her.  “You and me both.  It’s good to have her back here.”

“When should we tell her?” Cara moved away from him and began to take silverware out of a drawer.  

Nick shrugged.  “After dinner, I guess.  Don’t be nervous, Cara.”

“I’m not.” But she was.  “I hope she’ll be happy.”

It was his biggest fear that she wouldn’t be, but he had to be confident for Cara.  “She loves you, so she’ll love the news.”

“Yeah?”

They heard Sydney’s footsteps come down the stairs.  

“Definitely.”

***

After dinner, they settled on the deck, overlooking the pretty sight of the beach and the water beyond it.  The air was warm, and gulls soared overhead.

“So, Cara.” Sydney scraped more cheesecake off her plate.  “You still haven’t moved in with Dad, huh?”

Cara and Nick exchanged glances, surprised that Sydney had given them the perfect opening.  “Uh, no, not yet.” Cara smiled a little.  “I always told Nick that I wouldn’t live with a man, unless we were married.”

“That’s pretty admirable of you.” Sydney licked her spoon.  “I mean, most people don’t even think twice about moving in together.”

“Yes, well, things change,” Cara replied simply.  

Nick cleared his throat.  “But, uh, we’re planning on moving in together in July,” he said carefully.

Sydney looked up, surprised.  “Really?  But I thought you said…” She trailed off and looked from Nick to Cara before her gaze dropped to the ring that glittered on Cara’s left hand.  “Oh.”

“Oh?” Nick was nervous now.  “We’re getting married, kid.  I asked Cara a couple weeks ago, and she said yes.”

“So the wedding’s in July?” Sydney was careful to keep her voice neutral while her insides bubbled and boiled.

Cara nodded.  “We wanted to do it quietly and fairly quickly.  I didn’t want to give Nick a chance to re-think things,” she added jokingly, trying to ease the tension she felt.

“Don’t be silly.  You’re what I want,” Nick told her.  “’Til death do us part and all that jazz.”

Sydney managed a smile.  “Well, that’s really great then! I’m happy for both of you.” She got up and hugged the two of them.  “You picked a good one, Dad,” she whispered into his ear.

Nick grinned at her, feeling as though he’d received the greatest gift.  “Yeah?”

“Absolutely.” Sydney grinned.  “So, seeing how I’m twenty one and all, I think we should celebrate with champagne.  Got any?”

He frowned at her.  “You’re not allowed to touch alcohol until you’re fifty, young lady.”

She rolled her eyes while Cara chuckled.  “Come on, Dad.  The law says I’m allowed.”

“In my house, Nick’s law is the only law,” he said solemnly.  “But, because this is a special occasion, I think I can let it slide.”

As they raised a toast to the engagement, Sydney stewed on the inside.  All of her life, she’d wanted nothing more than to see her parents get back together.  It had given her some hope when neither of them had married, but, now, she was afraid that those hopes were about to be dashed forever.  She loved Cara, but she loved her mother more.  She didn’t want a stepmother, Sydney thought bitterly, she wanted Nick and Spencer to be her only parents.  

Obviously, Fate didn’t care what she wanted.  So, Sydney decided, she’d just have to come up with a way to do it herself.