- Text Size +
I wrote this story with my friend back in the summer of 1999. It’s pretty terrible… the basic premise is that Nick’s girlfriend breaks up with him, and doesn’t really give him much of a reason as to why. He spends the entire story trying to win her back. We come into the story after they’ve just spent the night at Nick’s apartment. He rented a movie for them to watch, and they fell asleep in his bed. I remember that at the time, I was particularly proud of this scene. Not so much anymore, haha! Maybe one day I’ll re-write the whole thing.

I Want It That Way
Chapter 10 – Nick

I woke up, but Steph was nowhere to be found. My heart started beating faster at the thought that she had left. I quickly got out of bed, no time to get dressed and ran down the hall.

There I saw Steph. Sitting in the kitchen, sipping coffee and eyeing me suspiciously.

“Why are you wearing…. Um… nothing?” She asked, looking over the rim of her cup.

“Um, because that's what I sleep in.” I wasn't going to let it show that she was stronger than I.

“Well, Nickolas.” She said in a huff, as she put her coffee cup down on the table. “Tell me why I woke up beneath your grasp?”

“Steph, I don't know.” I lied. “Maybe it was instinct.”

“Instinct? We slept together once. ONCE! You can't gain an instinct from ONCE!!” She stood up and she was right it my face. I knew I should be screaming right back at her, after all, I did nothing wrong. Actually I wasn't even sure why we had broken up in the first place. Sure I knew the reason, but it didn't make any sense.

“We had sex one time! We slept togther many times!” I replied.

She started walking towards the door but I grabbed her arm. “No, You will not leave!!!.”I said to her.

“WHY NOT?” She yelled. By now, I was pretty sure everyone that lived at Summerland knew about my relationship problems.

“Because,” I said quietly. “I want to know why you dumped me.”

“Ugh, Nick, I thought you were different. Don't you understand??? I already told you, and I don't want to talk about it anymore!!” She escaped from my grasp and ran off. And so, I did the thing I always do when I'm depressed. I pulled out some paper and a pen. I began to write. For an hour I spilled my feelings out onto the loose leaf. I came up with this.

If I could right the wrongs that made you cry
I make a promise not to say good-night
'Cause I'm holding on
With a love so strong
And I can't take a day without you by my side

Girl if I could
If I could change your mind
Baby you help me wipe these tears from my eyes

Chorus

Girl don't stop
The sun from shining down on me
'Cause I can't face another day without your smile
And if you take away the loving arms that suit around me
Then I may break down and cry
just like a child

Girl, I can't belong and I won't be free
If I fail to bring you back to me
So I'm pressin' on I hope you understand
There's a broken heart that lies inside your hands

Girl if I could
And it won't hurt your pride
Baby you can help me stop these tears that I cry

Chorus

Like a child Just like a child
With the spirits running free
She showed me why
Oh, she did

Like a child Just like a child
Think of what our love could be
If our hearts would set us free
Like a child

Chorus

I sat back and admired the song I had just written. I named it 'Like A Child', because I felt there would be no future for me unless I had a future with her. I got up, and went into my room. Just twelve hours ago, I had my arms wrapped around the most amazing girl in my life. Now I was being punished for my actions. I fell onto my bed and slept.

I woke up and looked over to the kitchen clock. it read 2:17 am.

‘Great’ I thought, ‘I just had to go and screw up my internal clock.’ I got up and made myself some coffee. I sat reading the lyrics to the song i had written the day before. Before i knew what i was doing, the phone was pressed to my ear.

“Hello?” A voice answered sleepily.

“Frick, it's me.” I said. My voice was shaky.

“You're insane. Try calling in eight hours.” Brian said followed by the sound of a line hanging up. I stared into the receiver. Great, rejected by my best friend and girlfriend. Well there was only thing left to do, one person left to call.

“Nick? Is that you?”