- Text Size +

 

This is the updated version I wrote! MUCH better, but still probably not something I'd write today.

 

Ouch! How the hell does Megan manage to walk in these things? Melissa wondered as she wobbled on the uneven planks of the boardwalk in her sister's strappy silver stilettos. Self consciously she tugged at the hem of Megan's sparkly silver minidress, which Megan had also insisted she wear. The look was completely not her and Megan knew it.

       "Stop doing that!" her twin chastised. "You're never going to attract any male attention if you act self conscious all night."

       That was easy for Meg to say. She looked completely comfortable and natural in her own black mini skirt and lacey camisole tank top. She couldn't believe that she'd let her sister drag her out to some club to meet a guy that she had been flirting with earlier. It totally wasn't Melissa's scene, but being a bit of a pushover, her twin sister had won out in the end.

       "This is it," Megan announced as they approached a particularly crowded looking bar. They stood at the door and flashed the bouncer their IDs before stepping into the pulsating building. Her eyes scanned the dance floor, her brow knitted with worry that she wouldn't be able to find AJ after all. All of a sudden Melissa got a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach that the night was going to be awful.

       A skinny built guy with tattooed arms and a perfectly trimmed goatee approached Megan from behind and slyly wrapped his arms around her waist. "Hey beautiful. I thought you'd never get here."

       Megan whirled around a flirty grin on her face as she leaned up to kiss the guy on his cheek. "I told you I'd stop by." As if she finally remembered her sister she gestured towards Melissa. "This is my sister Melissa I was telling you about. Mel, this is AJ."

       "Nice to meet you," AJ told her as he took her hand. He quickly turned his attention back to Meg though. "I scored us a table up in the VIP section. Follow me. My friends are already up there waiting."

       AJ led the two girls up towards the VIP section. On their way up the stairs Megan turned around and mouthed the words he's really hot to her sister. Melissa just rolled her eyes and continued to follow AJ towards the table he had reserved. She stopped dead in her tracks once AJ reached what was presumably his table. Already seated there was the very same gorgeous guy that she had caught sight of in the hotel lobby checking in earlier and the same girl he had been kissing at the time. She assumed that they were probably a couple. Just great, she told herself as she awkwardly stood there. It totally figured that out of all the guys in the area, Meg's new friend had to be friends with this guy. Tonight is just getting better by the minute.

      
"This is my friend Nick and his girlfriend Erin," AJ introduced, gesturing over at the happy looking couple.

       Nick, Melissa thought. So he does have a name. It seemed to fit him well.

       Her thoughts were interrupted by Meg's bubbly personality taking over. "Hi guys. It's nice to meet you. I'm Megan and this is my twin sister Melissa," she told the pair with a wave of her hand.

       "It's a pleasure to meet you two," Nick replied. Was it her imagination or did it seem as if Nick was looking at her as he spoke. It probably was just wishful thinking or something. His girlfriend was sitting right there.

       "Can I get you ladies something to drink?" AJ offered.

       "Sure. Red bull and vodka," Megan quickly answered.

       AJ smirked. "My kind of girl." His gaze shifted to Melissa. "What about you?"

       "I'm good," Melissa quickly declined.

       AJ narrowed his eyes at her. "Are you sure? It's no trouble."

       Melissa shook her head. "I'm positive. I'm not much of a drinker."

       He shrugged his shoulders. "Well, ok then. Your loss." He turned his attention back to Megan and held out an arm for her to grab onto. "Shall we?"

       Meg giggled before accepting his arm. "Of course." The pair headed off in the direction of the bar leaving Alyssa to awkwardly stand there alone with both Nick and Erin.

       Wow... Uhh awkward, she thought as she turned her head to see Nick and Erin deep in conversation, their foreheads bent together so closely that they were almost touching. It seemed like such a perfect, intimate moment and Melissa couldn't help, but to feel torn with jealously as she stood there and watched. She wasn't sure if it was the fact that she found Nick attractive or the fact that she just longed to have someone to be able to share a moment like that with. Whatever the case, she found herself having to look away when their lips met to steal a sweet kiss. Suddenly she felt way too much like a fifth wheel. Nick and Erin appeared to be in their own little world and Megan and AJ were too infatuated with their flirtation to even notice her. Feeling a choked up sensation in the back of her throat, she turned on her heels and ran back down the stairs. She didn't stop until she was out in the open air. Pausing only to momentarily ditch the blasted stilettos, she continued down towards the beach, collapsing onto the sand when she was far enough from the boardwalk to ensure that she was completely alone.

       By now tears were freely streaming down her face and she felt absolutely pathetic and stupid all dressed up like she was Megan. This wasn't her at all. Furthermore she felt embarrassed that seeing Nick and Erin seem so happy together had gotten her so upset. Sometimes she wondered if she'd ever get the chance to have somebody love her in that way. Considering what she was up against the odds were unlikely. In a few weeks she could very well be dead.

       The operation to remove the tumor growing inside her head was scheduled to take place only two weeks after her and Meg were to arrive home from Cancun. It was scary as hell to think about. She knew the risks of the surgery she was about to have and there was a very good chance that complications could arise and she wouldn't make it through. Still, though the possible advantages far outweighed the risks. Without the surgery, the tumor would only grow bigger and she probably wouldn't even make it to see nineteen. She definitely wasn't ready to die. There were so many things that she wanted to accomplish in her life. She wanted to attend college... Start a career... Fall in love... Get married... Have a family some day...  But all those aspirations were on hold right now. Her fate remained solely in the hands of God.

       As juvenile and as stupid that it had sounded, a part of her secretly dreamt that she'd go away on this trip and meet a completely perfect guy who would at least give her a small taste of what romance could feel like. She felt that she should at least be granted that before she died. What a dumb idea, she realized. Most of the guys around here are just looking to mess around and you're too shy to catch a guy's attention anyway. She's hoped that Meg would pull her out of her shell a little more, but based on the way she'd been glued to AJ's side, it seemed as if she was only interested in helping herself. Face it... It's not going to happen.

       Fate works in funny ways though, and little did Melissa know that in just another hour or so a chain of events would be set off that would change her life forever.