- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Thanks for all of the reviews. Sorry if this story doesn't get updated as often as I would like. As much as I love the concept, it is hard for me to write it, because it hits so close to home with me.

However, I plan to continue it....it just takes a gentle nudge every now and then.

Once things get going in Iraq, I am sure things will start to flow alot faster!
Year: 2011

For the past 10 years our great country the United States of America has been at war. A war that we thought would only last a few months, somehow turned into 10 years. A war that we thought would only involve Iraq and maybe Afghanistan, now has taken over the Middle East. Our War on Terror has exploded. Many people are referring to this as Would War Three.

In the past three years, Iran has become a source of great conflict. Having gained access to Nuclear Weapons, Iran has forced themselves into other countries, trying to gain more power. We have been fighting side by side with Iraq, Britain and France to try and keep Iran from gaining more power. In doing so, the United States has lost tens of thousands of soldiers and marines. As our military is getting weaker, Iran is recruiting more and more soldiers by the day.

This has left our government with no choice but to instate the federal draft.

***Atlanta, GA***

Brian casually unloaded his mailbox as he arrived home from work. It seems that is all he does lately, work. “Leigh Anne and Bayleigh are probably feeling abandoned” he thought to himself as he put his key’s into the door. As he opened the door the fresh aroma of pot roast hit him in the face. Taking a deep breath and inhaling the scent he knew his wife must have been cooking for him.

He flipped through the mail opening the envelopes one by one. Most of it bills and invitation to events, but one thing caught his eye. “Why am I getting a letter from the Department of Defense?” he asked himself out loud. He opened the letter and slowly begins reading it.

***Malibu, CA***
“Seriously, do we have to discuss this now?” Nick asked into the phone. He hated nothing more than when his ‘girlfriend’ nagged him about flirting with other girls. ‘Hasn’t she learned by now that it is just part of who I am?’ He thought to himself. He reached into his mail box and pulled out the mail. He tossed it over onto the seat, not really paying attention to his actions. He just needed to get this girl off the phone.
“Look, Mia I have to go. I just pulled up to the house. I still have a busy evening ahead of me. I don’t have time to argue with you.” He hung up the phone and stepped out of the car. As he started to walk away, he remembered his mail and reached through the window to grab it.

Flipping through the mail the one Addressed from the Department of Defense caught his eye first. Curious, he opened the envelope and began reading.

***Meanwhile, across town***

“Yo, John I am home, Bro!” AJ called out as he entered the house.

“Back he man.” Called his roommate.

John ran into a hard time about six months ago and AJ couldn’t see himself allowing one of his best friends to be out on the street, when he had some much to give. So AJ invited John to move from Florida to L.A. in hopes that John could make a fresh start. AJ had to admit, he enjoyed having the company. He hadn’t exactly had the best luck with relationships lately and most of his other friends were busy with their own lives.

AJ stopped at the desk in the corner of the room and flipped through the mail laying on it. A yellow envelope caught his attention “Why the hell am I getting a letter for The Department of Defense?” he asked himself out loud. He opened the letter and began read.

****The letter****

To whom it may concern,

If you are receiving this letter, you have been randomly selected through a lottery to participate in the Draft currently instated by the United States government. This is not on voluntary bases. You must swear into the United States Army. You must report to your nearest military installation with-in thirty days of receiving this letter. Your social security number has been logged and federal repercussions will be forced upon you in your failure to report. We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience, but the safety of our way of life is at stake.

Thank you,
Secretary of Defense.

***Atlanta, GA***

“Oh, my God.” Brain said as he stared down at the paper in his hand. “How am I going to tell Leigh?”

***Malibu, CA****

“You’ve got to be shitting me!” Nick yelled as he crumpled the paper in his hand. “There is no fucking way I am fuck going, NO W AY!”

***Other Side of Town***
“What the FUCK!” AJ wasn’t quite sure he understood what he was reading. He was being drafted. Like DRAFTED, like WAR. He reread the letter once more to make sure that he comprehended the letter. “I am going to fucking war….” He whispered.