- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
SURPRISE!!!
Who would have thought that the water would be so cold. When I first thought about my ridiculous idea, it seemed to be brilliant. Now, I felt like such an idiot. I was shivering, my clothes were soaked and Jack14…I mean, Alex was looking at me like I was in a straight jacket.

“What the fuck were you thinking?” He paced the bedroom with his hands on his hips.

Sometimes I wondered what it was that I loved about him so much. I know damn well it wasn’t his foul mouth. Just looking at him made my stomach twist into a tight knot and sometimes the knot even reached my throat. “I don’t know…I was thinking that this thing would deactivate and I wouldn’t have to worry about exploding any minute.”

He ran a hand over his face and I saw his jaw tighten. I wanted to smile. “Jesus fucking Christ Crystal…didn’t I tell you I’m trying to do what I can. I was talking to Jenkins to try and get some information. FUCK!!” The pacing continued.

Why did I feel so vulnerable around Alex? Why when he talked to me in such a tone I felt like a scolded puppy and I wanted to cry, yet I liked it. So, I didn’t always make the smartest choices, but I was trying. He on the other hand seemed to have lost his guts…balls…whatever and didn’t want to stand up and fight. What the hell had happened to him? Where was that aggressive asshole I had met six months ago?

“Stop looking at me with those puppy eyes! It’s not going to work.”

I felt myself pout. “Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.” I felt my body shiver again and I hugged myself. “I’m sorry…I know I’m an idiot. Ok!”

Alex looked me straight in the eyes and I felt myself warm up everywhere. His eyes softened and he spoke in a low tone, “I can’t afford something happening to you. I’m trying to figure all this out…”

Just as I opened my mouth to answer him, there was a light knock on the door. “I’m sorry to interrupt you guys, but I have a towel and some clothes. Their my daughter’s. They might be a bit big, but it’s all I have.” Mrs. Jenkins was an older woman, with a bit of wrinkles around her eyes when she smiled. But she seemed so sweet.

I took the clothes from her and placed them on the bed. “Thank you so much!” I smiled back and stood up to wrap the towel around my shoulders. Instantly my body stopped shivering and warmth embraced me.

She looked at both of us and grinned. “Who would have thought you two would end up together. Well you guys can stay in this room for tonight and I’ll give Lizzy’s room to Yelina, if she shows up. You guys should rest for a bit.” Swiftly she was out the door.

“She thinks you and I are a couple.” Alex stated plainly.

I laughed. “Yeah, what is wrong with her.” I stood up and threw the towel on the bed. Then grabbed the ends of my shirt and began to pull it over my head.

“Wait! What are you doing?” His eyes caught with mine and moved down to my exposed stomach.

My cheeks flushed with warmth, “What’s the problem you already saw me. The whole fire department and half the police department saw me.” I ignored him and pulled the wet shirt over my head. “Or does this make you nervous?” Alright so maybe the guts that Alex had lost, I’d gained. I slowly walked up to him, my eyes never leaving his. And I stood up close, running my hand up his chest and wrapping it around his neck.

I was being as he would call it, ballsy .But, deep down my heart was drumming against my ribs and my knees felt like they might give in, but I had to try. I doubt Alex knew exactly how I felt about him. There were times that he looked at me like a person looks at an annoying puppy. Other times he looked at me like he was hypnotized by me. Maybe I was asking for too much from a guy that had never showed any type of emotions. Someone who had been taught to be callous and detached.

I’d gone so deep into thought that I hadn’t realized how close I was to him.

The warm of his body against mine made my stomach shrink in size. And surprisingly Alex hadn’t budged, instead he remained leaned against the wall hands on his hips. A part of me would have wanted him to be the same aggressive guy I knew, to forcefully grab me and take me right then and there. The other part of me, liked this new thoughtful and…slow Alex.

I bit down on my bottom lip as my eyes bored into his. There was no way to read Alex’s mind…I never knew what the hell was going on in that head of his. “Say something!” I whispered brushing his ear with my mouth. That seemed to catch his attention, because I felt the warm of his hands take hold of my sides.

“We can’t do this right now.” He picked me up like nothing and sat me back down on the bed.

Embarrassment flushed from my cheeks down to every area of my body. I should have been used to being turned down by him, he’d done it so many times before. “Fine!” I didn’t want to be mad, but I couldn’t help to wonder if he’d turn down Yelina like this. “It’s only when you want to…I get it.” I swallowed the knot in my throat. Damn knot.

“Stop being such a baby…and get dressed. I think I hear Yelina.” He started for the door.

The mention of her name hurt.

Without a doubt Alex had no idea how much I loved him or how I longed to feel his warm hands on my skin. To feel his lips against mine. It had only been that one time in the barn, but I had never forgotten it or him. He’d been nothing like I thought he would be. He’d been amazingly warm and gentle. And through these six months, the events of that night played through my mind like a movie. Sometimes it was all that kept me going, knowing that he was out there and he was alive.

I slipped a pink tank top on and switched my wet jeans for a pair of really tiny shorts. What is up with all the small clothes. It’s like everyone buys a size or two smaller than they are. The whole time Alex watched me dress, but his expression still showed nothing. Angrily I passed right by him and into the hallway. The Jenkins’ house was huge and well furnished. Everything seemed to be high end and very pricey. By the looks of it, they had two daughters, about the same age as me. Who according to Mrs. Jenkins were in school. I inspected every picture in the hallway, they had so many frozen memories on that wall. Something to look back on…and if they were to ever start to forget a face they could just look at the wall.

I on the other hand didn’t have anything. Both my parents were dead and if I were to start forgetting their faces, well there wouldn’t be a wall with frozen memories for me to go back and look at. I felt the tears prick my eyes, but I wiped them away before they even surfaced.

“Well your all dried up!” Jenkins was all smiles sitting on the sofa with a small glass full of some dark brown concoction. “Look who is back…now if you will excuse me. I‘m going to help the wife in the kitchen. Please make yourselves at home.” He stood and walked out of the room with the glass still in his hands. Yelina was standing by the fireplace, with a tight dress that didn’t cover much on, as always. Quickly she ran over to Alex and gave him a big hug. I saw his hand casually wrap around her waist. It was more than I could get from him.

“Where the hell have you been?” he asked with concern.

She smiled that gorgeous smile of hers and gave me a head nod. “I was with my father, and you wont believe who I bumped into?”

Alex wasn’t much for guessing games…she should have known that. “I have the slightest idea. Just spit it out.”

“You are no fun. I bumped into Max…he said he would be here in time for dinner.” Yelina hung onto Alex’s arm, and he didn’t seem to budge.

I was starting to think that maybe exploding might not be so bad.

The rumbling of a motorcycle made me jump. We all turned to the window and I felt at ease when I saw Alex’s face. That meant it was a good guy, or in better words someone that wasn’t out to kill us.

Alex walked off and left both us women standing in the living room. There was an awkward moment of silence and then she broke it. “So how are you doing? Any news on the…”

“Um…I jumped into the pool thinking it might deactivate this piece of crap.” I raised a brow. “Didn’t work!”

She pursed her lips in thought, “Well that seriously sucks! Alex will figure it out. He cares a lot about you and will not let a thing happen to you. Plus he just got some back up.” Her lips broke into a smile as she looked towards the door.

My gaze followed, and my mouth just about dropped. What the hell was it with me and bad boys lately. In walked a tall guy in combat boots, leather pants, a white t-shirt and a leather jacket. He carefully removed his motorcycle helmet and turned to look at me. His hair was military cut, his lips were spread into a wide grin exposing perfect teeth and his green eyes were looking right at me. I could feel the grin on my face widening with each passing second.

Advenutre time.