- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long wait. You know how writers block is...thank you so much for keeping up with Jack...I LOVE AND APPRECIATE all the reviews. *hugs*

All I remembered, as I sat there, staring at Yelina’s terrified eyes, was that something had hit my fucking car. I had lost control and almost slammed into, another god damn tree. “Are you alright?” I gave Yelina a pat on the leg, and she gave me a silent nod. I was in a rage, so I hopped out of the car and stormed over to the truck, in the middle of the road.

A goofy looking guy was standing outside, I could tell he was shaking, as I approached him. “Look…uh…man…” he stuttered already putting his hands up.

Turning around to look at the massive dent in my car, I pursed my lips in anger and muttered “Holy fuck, You fucked up my car.” Then, instantly swung my arm, only hearing the crunching sound of my fist, connecting with his jaw.

He instantly fell back, on his ass, and sat there looking at me in horror. “I told you I didn’t do it, man.” He cried, moving his jaw from side to side.

I didn’t give a fuck, what he was saying at the moment, all I knew was that my car, had a fucking dent in it. Then, I heard a really high pitched scream, and when I turned around, all I saw were stars.

My name was being called out in the distance, and it was getting louder and louder, by the second. “Alex…Alex. Are you alright?” I snapped my eyes open, and looked around.

“What the fuck happened.” I asked, trying to put my jaw back in place.

Yelina bit the side of her lip, as she looked up at the woman in front of me. “I’m sorry, but you assaulted my husband, and I don’t know what came over me.” Holy fuck, a woman had hit me. What has my life come to? With a deep and irritated sigh, I got up, and dusted myself off.

“Look man, I told you I didn’t hit your car. I just came to a stop, when I saw the other car hit you?” his arms were crossed now, and he was protectively standing next to his wife. “There were two cars behind you, then all of a sudden, one cut off the other and I saw the nice old car, hit your side and continue it‘s way. I thought I would stop to see if you guys were ok?” He glared at me.

I felt like an asshole, but I have my reasons, to believe that everyone and their fucking momma is out to get me, lately. I stormed over to my beauty, and ran my hand over her dent. Fuck, that hurt! Who the hell hit me, and why? Yelina walked over to me, and I watched the truck drive off. “I can not believe you…are you so stupid?” she smacked my arm, her brows furrowed, and her lips pursed.

I wanted to laugh, the word “stupid” coming out of her mouth, is the funniest shit…no…wait it’s probably “Asshole” now, that’s the funniest shit. Then I realized, that her voice, was still going a mile a minute. My eyes, slowly rolled up to look at her, I was pissed and seriously not in the mood to hear her, fucking voice, echoing in my ear. “Just shut up…alright, this really sucks, and hearing your voice in my mind…isn’t helping.” That went well…very smooth Alex.

There were the tears, brimming from her eyes, and her teeth were clamping the corner of her lip. I knew she was fighting them back, and right away, I felt like a bigger asshole. “Look I’m…”

With a scowl on her face, she raised her hand, to stop me “Don’t even…lets go.” without another word, we both got back into the car, which sounded like a god damn tractor. The rest of the drive was extremely quiet, with exception of the phone call, from Jenkins. I was wondering what he needed me at the office for, I guess I would find out, once I got there.

There was guilt brewing in the pit of my stomach, I tend to be a fucking asshole with her sometimes, she gets the bad end of everything. I wanted to apologize, but I didn’t. You know, how I am, when it comes to shit like that.

There was a commotion going on in the station, there were people walking around everywhere, voices were high and someone was in interrogation. I walked past everything, not giving a fuck. I just wanted to get this conversation with Jenkins over with, so I could go home and pass the fuck out. Yelina stayed behind, I got a glimpse of her sitting on a bench, near the main entrance. She must really be pissed.

As soon as I walked in, Jenkins was yapping a mile a minute. “We found a blonde, she just had a hit and run, the car must be stolen. It’s not under her name. Her prints match the last crime scenes…it’s a damn mess…” he continued on.

My brain was to focused on the hit and run. It could have been, the damn lunatic that had clipped my car. “Um…you said it was a blonde…”

He nodded “Yeah, but that’s not what I called you here for. Listen, I have to go out of town, I was wondering if you could keep an eye on the family, for me?” he was looking at me dead serious.

Why would he trust me to watch his family? I haven’t the slightest idea, but I sure as hell, wasn’t going to say, no. “Uh…no problem…I’ll check up on them.” I gave him a reassuring smile, as we both exited his office. The commotion was still going on outside, an officer was obviously manhandling a petite blonde, but she was surely putting up a fight.

Jenkins chuckled and then bellowed “Peterson, let go of Miss Richardson…”

The name hit me, right in the gut, if I wouldn’t have known it was just a feeling, I would have bent over in pain. My mouth fell open, as my eyes met with the familiar blue eyes, I had longed so much, to see, again. “Holy fuck!” I muttered.

I narrowed my eyes, as we approached them. Peterson had let go of her, and now she was just standing there, her gaze locked on the floor. I came to a stop, only a foot or so away. Leaning forward a little, to get a good look at her, I whispered “Crystal?!?” Not believing my eyes, my hand rose slightly, wanting to touch her and make sure I wasn’t imagining this. I felt like time stood still. I didn’t hear anyone talking. I didn‘t see everyone that was around me. Just her.

“Alex…” Jenkins clapped his hand on my shoulder, bringing me out of my thoughts, and my hand dropped to my side. “You remember me telling you about your father’s partner, and best friend, Kevin Richardson? Well…this is his daughter.” I licked my lips, nodding my head, my gaze burning into her. What the fuck was she doing here? She was staring right back at me, and I could recognize the look on her face, as her exyes scanned me up and down. It was, as if she couldn't believe that I was standing there. "Miss Richardson, the car you state is yours, belongs to a Jack D. It's not even, under your name." the information, coming out of Jenkins mouth, brought me back to the present.

Our eyes met once again, as she let out a frustrated sigh "How many times, do I have to tell you...that...he's..." her eyes glazed over, if I wasn't mistaken, she was about to burst into tears. "...he's dead. He died six months ago." her eyes narrowed, and she moved her gaze down to the floor.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I didn’t mean to be so harsh…it just came out that way...I guess some habits never die. Damn it, Alex, you’re letting her get to you, again. Her gaze lifted, and her eyes met mine, again. Remember that stupid fluttery feeling I used to get, when I was on that ranch…yeah…well that shit is back. Looking into her eyes, I saw a wide range of emotions…oddly enough, they were really damn close, to mirroring mine.

“I was…well…I um…” Her eyes darted, around the room, avoiding me.

“Oh…so you two have met?” Jenkins chuckled, looking from me, to her, and back. “Well, like I was saying, Alex, Miss Richardson was involved in a hit and run…” His talking became muffled, for a moment, as my thoughts clicked. “We picked her up at her apartment, down on Severna, for questioning.” Apartment?!? Was he fucking serious? That means she’s been lurking around, for a while. She was supposed to be off, in college, getting her education…but, no…here she was cuffed, like a damn criminal. Plus, she fucked up Beauty!

“You hit my car…my Beauty…she’s got a fucking dent!” My brows furrowed, not just in anger, but so much more. They don’t question people, over a hit and run.

“That is so typical…you always think about the damn car.” She glared at me, her voice much colder than I expected. “I see some things don’t change…like you being an assho…”

Jenkins cleared his throat, making both of us look his way. “Alex...we don’t have enough evidence to keep Miss Richardson, in custody and since she is a suspect…” he gave Crystal a serious look, “…in a murder. Since I am going out of town, and you two already know each other...I am going to need her to stay with you, until I get back. I can’t risk her skipping town.”

“Excuse me, sir…” Crystal’s voice had returned to its normal polite, warmness, as she met his gaze. “I can just stay in jail. Really. I wouldn’t want to impose on Alex and…” Rolling her eyes, she tilted her head, looking at me. “…his GIRLfriend.”

What the fuck? How did she know about Yelina? "Wait a damn minute...how do you know about that?" I questioned, with furrowed brows. She had better get prepared, cause if they hadn't questioned her ass, yet. I was sure to do it. "She is not..."

"I'm not his girlfriend." Yelina's voice, interrupted me. I quickly turned to find her, standing against a desk, her arms crossed and a scowl on her face. "He's a good friend..." she gave me a menacing glare. "when he wants to be." Crystal gave her a smile, that I could tell was forced, as the officers took her to finish her paperwork. My eyes followed her till she disappeared. "Wow...she's beautiful, I see why you are so head over heels." Yelina let out a soft sigh.

"I am not!" I defended, but seriously, who the fuck was I kidding. Definitely, not Yelina. "I can't believe she's been here the whole time..." I voiced, it had been intended to be a mental thought. The buzzing of my phone, startled me, and I quickly reached to answer it "Mclean!"

"You didn't think we were done with you, did you?” I felt the muscles in my face tighten, and hot rush run through me. No lie, I had totally forgotten about these bastards.

“What the fuck do you want?” I muttered, looking around for anyone, on a cell phone. “I’m really getting tired of your…”

“Shut the fuck up!! I’m the one doing the talking here!” the voice demanded angrily. “I noticed the cute little blonde!” there was a mocking laughter on the line.

It dawned on me, that I was being watched again. That I didn’t even know who this person was, or how long they had been keeping an eye on me. Now, they knew Crystal was here. “I’m not really into fucking games…just come out and tell me what you want.” I was trying really hard, to keep my cool and not yell.

“Beatin the latin girl was pretty fun. I get kicks out of hearing girls scream!” the laughter filled the line again, and my grip on the phone tightened. “I wonder what the blonde would sound like? You got to many females on your hands…Jack!”

“Why don’t you just fuck off…I don’t have shit of yours already…so leave me the fuck alone.” I snapped back, between clenched teeth.

There was heavy breathing, “Have it your way, Jack. I just know you have to give in…at some point…”

I still held the phone to my ear, even when I heard the line go dead. I watched Crystal and Yelina approach me, finally slipping the phone back into my pocket, I looked at one and then the other. This was going to be, interesting. With a sigh I motioned towards the door “Let’s go…”

“Is everything alright?” Yelina asked, trying to read my expressions, as we made way towards the glass doors.

Crystal looked up at me at the same time and frowned “Obviously not…your brows are furrowed, and you have that confused look on your face.” I looked at her, a bit baffled, at her evaluation of me. She didn’t know me anymore? Did she?

“I’m good…” I did a double take, staring through the glass doors, at my old baby. She was still as sleek and shiny…and dented, her whole front side and fender were smashed in. “Look what you did…” I stated, as we swung the doors open. “You killed her…” I glared at the kid, taking a swim in her blue eyes.

She rolled her eyes, “The thing is still fine and running…it’s still in…”

Her words were cut off, by a thundering blast of heat, that sent all three of us flying in different directions. When I opened my eyes, I found Yelina looking around disoriented, next to me. I looked around for Crystal, but didn’t see her, anywhere. “Crystal!!” I shouted, feeling a burning sensation on my face and arms. I ignored it, and carefully stood to my feet, looking at the shattered glass door to the station, people scrambling around, and the debris that floated about in the air.

“I‘m around you for one day…and I‘m already in danger.” She crawled out, from behind a car, extending her hand for help.

I sighed, with relief, my girls were ok. I was ok. Too fucking bad, I couldn‘t say the same shit for Sheeba. She was up in flames, along with any cars, that had been close to her. My phone buzzed in my pocket, angrily I stuffed my hand in to retreive it and took it in my hand. “Mclean” I announced, already aware of who it could be.

“What about now Jack? I heard you loved that car." the laughter, was really getting on my fucking nerves. "Two down...three to go Jack. I can play this fucking game all fucking day. SO STOP FUCKING WITH ME AND GIVE ME WHAT I WANT...JACK!" the line clicked.

I was temped to fling the phone into the fire, but I knew they would only find my new phone number, too. Why had he said two down, and three to go? What the hell did that mean? I started counting the females in my life...Crystal...Yelina...Sheeba...Beauty...who the hell was the fifth? I was fucking confused.