- Text Size +

 

Chapter 2:


 

Glancing curiously to the over hang of ominously charcoal shaded clouds in the early evening sky, Brian Littrell nearly found it to be a rather fitting atmosphere. His mind preoccupied with their impending departure, he couldn't deny the quake that raced along his spine from a sudden chill that crept from around him, and not trusting the uncertain weather, he backed slowly towards the double glass doors he had stepped from only moments before with the expectance of rain. Not that he was really expecting any different and his opinion over the matter had yet to change. In fact, had he been given the chance, he was certain to have expressed some not so positive feelings towards what they had been roped into doing. But money had spoken, and when money speaks, sometimes you are forced to just shut up and listen, especially when you're legally bound through contracts that you never had much say over to begin with. So the faster they got this over with, the sooner Brian would allow himself to release a breath of relief.

“So I was thinking…” 

Jumping in surprise when the door he’d been reaching for opened on it’s own, Brian turned on the heels of his feet and watched with quirked brows as his friend brushed past with determination. And at the way AJ’s brows curled characteristically towards the center of his forehead, he felt the comings of a rueful smile surfacing to his lips. “I do hope you didn’t hurt yourself in the process,” he quipped, taking a step in his friend’s wake. 

AJ contemplated the statement for a mere moment before allowing the joke, clearly pressed at his expense, to roll away with the chill of the evening air. Digging hastily into the back pocket of his jeans, his dark mocha eyes narrowed in contempt as he withdrew a near empty pack of cigarettes. Shaking one free, he brought it to his pursed lips and quickly lit it before choosing to speak. “Aren’t you just a barrel of laughs tonight,” he snorted before taking a long drag, an action that seemed to work wonders for whatever must have pulled him outside in the first place. Releasing a sigh of relief as his eyes followed the stream of wispy smoke through the air, he turned his attention back to the older man and shrugged. 

“You were saying?” Brian chuckled as he held up a hand to express his apologies. 

“Ah Hell, I forgot what I was saying,” AJ muttered dismissively. 

“Your memory seems to be receding just as quickly as your hairline-” Brian started to laugh. 

“You can kiss my ass,” AJ decided, his stare defiant as he flipped a middle finger towards his friend and waited for a challenge in return. When the air became thick with silence, he roughly cleared his throat and took a few steps off on his own path. “I’m going to venture a guess and say that I’m not the only one who thinks what we’re doing is absolutely insane. And not only is it insane, but it also has to be the most ridiculous thing we’ve been forced to do-” 

“I wouldn’t say you’re too far off on that assumption,” Brian agreed with him and there was clearly truth in that statement. Though it seemed AJ was more than willing to vocalize the common opinion for the rest of them. And watching as his eccentric friend continued to rationalize their situation with wild hand motions, he felt the first drops of a light drizzle come in contact with his heated skin. Reaching to pull his light jacket closer to his body, he retreated back beneath the safety of the overhang and pressed his back comfortably against the brick wall as he waited patiently for his friend to finish. AJ didn’t appear all too bothered by the fact that his thin material t-shirt was slowly becoming saturated, nor did his temperament change in the least. Especially as he turned to assure that Brian was still listening. 

“You weren’t listening to a single word I was saying,” AJ accused when Brian’s cheeks flushed crimson. 

“Something about ghosts, tromping around in the dark, and making sure Nick screams like a girl at least once on camera?” he offered hopefully with an impish smirk that seemed to quiet the younger man’s accusations. “Nope, wasn’t listening…” 

“I see we’re on the same page then,” AJ smirked, his tongue clicking against the roof of his mouth with devious thought. Then, moments later as the mischievous glint in his dark mocha eyes faded, he turned sharply to face to his bandmate. “Kevin being involved with this has really caused an uproar with Nick, huh?” 

“That’s one way to put it I suppose,” Brian responded with a brief shrug. 

“I don’t trust his intentions,” AJ murmured with a quick flicking of his fingers. As the burning cigarette flitted to the moist pavement, he lugged his lean body lazily under the shelter of the overhang with a grunt of distaste. Wincing from Brian’s sudden uncomfortable stare, he retreated against the opposite wall, his lips pursed into a thin line. “Shit, I know he’s your family, but honestly, what is he really doing-” 

“Ya know, at one point in time I remember you saying he used to be your family also,” Brian sharply returned, and even as his voice remained eerily calm, it was still laced with a bitter coating. 

AJ opened his mouth to rebuke the seemingly simple proclamation, but he exhaled a wheezing breath from his lungs and instead shook his head without meaning as he focused his attention to the ground at his feet. He’d argued with himself otherwise many times, attempted futilely to abandon the idea that he indeed missed the way things used to be, and each time the result was the same. He detested the change Kevin had forced upon them, blamed the older man for refueling the abandonment issues he’d struggled with most of his life. Yet AJ still found it difficult to let go of the past and he was damn bitter about it. 

Although Brian was no less bitter over the matter, despite his soothing acceptance when his cousin had approached to break the news that for a brief moment felt like it had shattered their whole world. He’d refrained from the contentious outbursts their youngest bandmate exuberated during the aftermath because it wasn’t in his demeanor. No, he had merely sat back and offered his blessing for his cousin’s decision and wished him luck. The offering still made AJ snort with annoyance because if he knew one thing about Brian, it was that the man couldn’t lie if his life depended on it. AJ had seen a certain flame in the man’s eyes extinguished within moments that day, even if Brian would never bring himself to forthright admit such a fact, especially not to Kevin’s face and especially not when it had been Kevin who had disrupted Brian’s simple home town life by getting him caught up in the whirlwind of the music industry, only to disrupt that life a decade and a half later. Brian may have offered blessings and wishes of luck to his cousin, but the faint memory of overhearing the sounds of the man’s muffled sobs while on the phone with his wife that evening spoke a magnitude otherwise and AJ was determined that meant something. 

“I’ll admit it’s a bit awkward,” Brian broke the silence a few moments later with a firm nod. His features softened as he ran his fingers through his tasseled locks of hair and attempted to offer a small smile, though it appeared tentative in every form. “Maybe I’m biased because he is family, but I’m looking forward to having him back for a while. If anything for old time’s sake-” 

“And Littrell receives the award for most clichéd statement of the day,” AJ responded as he pushed himself away from the brick wall. Smirking when his friend’s smile broadened into a disapproving frown, he moved towards the double glass doors. “All I’m saying is it just doesn’t make sense why he would come back for something like this. He made it pretty clear he wanted nothing more to do with-” 

Following him, Brian reached out to catch the door before it could slam in his face. “Is it really that hard for you to give him the benefit of the doubt?” 

“Maybe it’s time to start doubting the benefit,” AJ muttered and the silence that ensued felt mutual. He allowed his shoulders to round forward slightly as they navigated the short hallway of the small warehouse that had been designated as their point of departure that night, a location that was admittedly eerie to begin with, above and beyond the fact that it was their last meeting place before they blindly stepped into the realm of the unknown. Expecting the producers of MTV to set them up with something a little more suitable and appealing to the eye before the five of them did their respective parts had been a foolish assumption that AJ didn’t care much to give a second thought towards. And so, inhaling deeply as they stopped just outside a plain closed door, he shot one last glance to Brian before pulling the door open and stepping inside. 

“Was wondering if the two of you had gotten lost,” Howie immediately greeted them, his expression flustered as he ushered the two of them further inside the room. Grabbing AJ’s upper arm, he yanked the younger man towards where a group of people had congregated near two gray fold up tables, his ignorance intentional to his friend’s instant protests at the abrupt movement. 

“Look at this shit, Aje!” Nick called to him from the opposite end of the furthest table. 

Glancing up with uncertainty, AJ found himself amused as Nick fiddled with various pieces of electronic equipment set out before him and when an individual from the staff roughly removed the objects from his grasp with a sharp lecturing to be careful, he released a hearty laugh and quickly moved in that direction with interest. “I’d listen to him,” he pointed out as he reached to examine parts of the equipment. “Or you’ll end up with a houseful of useless electronic equipment you had to buy that you don’t know how to use and that don’t work anyway ‘cause your clumsy ass broke it all.” 

“That’s bullshit-” 

“Good evening gentlemen!” a familiar voice pierced the air and caused the idle chatter to come to a sliding halt.

“If it isn’t my good friend Palermo!” AJ gruffed as he fought the urge to roll his eyes when he turned to catch sight of the two executives from the day before approaching. 

“Don’t flatter yourself, Kid,” Mr. Palermo returned, reaching to shake hands with Howie and Kevin who greeted him appropriately. Though far from interested in exchanging any sort of pleasantries with the two men, he took great care in retreating several steps to create a comfortable distance and buried his hands into the depths of his dress pants. “I trust everyone is well rested and prepared to depart tonight in order to start the first night of FEAR?” Hardly waiting for an audible answer from those present, he raised a hand in motion to the line of staff to draw them further forward. Small, clear plastic tubs were then placed before each individual as Mr. Palermo prepared to continue. "As you can see before you are the electronic devices you will be fitted with to aid you in your paranormal research over the next three days. You will be required to use each instrument as instructed by the on-sight computer system and any mishandling of any piece of equipment will result in penalty towards the individual and/or up to the team as a whole. In other words, you break it you buy it. So I do suggest you take great care with what you are about to be provided."

“They say that even with the knowledge that they are about to trust those two loons with this stuff,” Brian chortled quietly with a quick nod of his head in AJ and Nick’s general direction. 

“I think that is exactly why they are saying that,” Kevin murmured just above a whisper. 

“When you leave here tonight, the five of you will be blindfolded and escorted by van to the undisclosed location where tonight and the next two nights will be taking place,” Mr. Andrews explained. His dark jade eyes flickered with a brief bit more interest then his associate, but it dissipated quickly as he spoke. “Upon arriving, you will be taken into what is referred to as the ‘safe house’. This building is designated as the place you will remain in when you are not participating in a dare, or when all dares have been completed for the night. You will also be using this building to eat, bathe, and sleep in. Anyone not participating in a dare at any given time is to remain in the ‘safe house’, unless instructed otherwise.” 

“You will now be fitted with your assigned equipment, consisting mainly of strap on vests hooked to ‘point of view’ cameras that are to be kept on at all times while completing a dare. Digital cameras, thermo-video recorders, digital sound recorders, Electromagnetic Field Meters and flashlights have been provided, along with five two-way radios you will use to communicate with each other during dares,” Mr. Palermo explained further when the technician staff began the process of assuring the five men were assigned the correct vests and all equipment was found to be functioning properly. “We also ask that you place any devices not issued by MTV into the plastic tubs before you. This includes cell phones, pagers, Ipods, and any other device that could lead to outside communication during the three day period. They will promptly be returned to you upon your return. If there are no further questions, we will get you on your way.” 

Feeling a breath of surprise leave his chest when a solid black blindfold was placed over his eyes to conceal his sight, Howie reached out to grab a hold of anything that could stabilize his balance. The thought of not being able to rely on his vision for direction was more unsettling than he had been prepared for and the weight of the electronics vest pressing on his shoulders seemed to make it even more difficult for the stale air in the warehouse to enter his lungs. “Are the blindfolds really necessary?” he choked in a dry tone, assuming his friends had been placed in an identical predicament. 

“I assure you it is only temporary, Mr. Dorough,” Mr. Andrews answered him. “The blindfolds are in place to conceal the location until you get there and to elevate the element of surprise.” 

“Surprise is an overrated word,” AJ grunted. 

“Alright, gentlemen. If you could link hands with one another, you will be lead out to the awaiting van that will be taking you to your destination.” 

A short period of time later after being filed out into the cool light drizzle, they found themselves seated upon cold metal seats in a tiny enclosed space that didn’t leave much to the imagination. A few departing statements from the two executives were the last words they heard before doors were slammed and the floor board beneath their feet vibrated as the vehicle was brought to life. A thick silence circulated through the atmosphere, which seemed to be an unspoken agreement between the five of them that words to be said were suddenly hard to come by. Not that any of them really knew what to say at that moment. Speculation towards what they were about to do had been plentiful in the hours leading up to their departure, and now that they were actually on their way, speech had fallen into a quiet void. 

“Anyone else having second thoughts?” Brian spoke up, his voice tentative as he proposed the question. Opening his mouth to speak further, he paused when he heard a muffled ‘clicking’ and his nose quickly scrunched up, grimacing at the distinct scent of nicotine suddenly circulating through the stifling air. Sighing in disbelief, he allowed his hands to fall limply on his lap. “AJ…are you smoking?” 

“No…” 

“You’re lying through your teeth, AJ,” Kevin grumbled. “We can all smell it.” 

“And you obviously think I give a shit at the moment,” AJ snorted in return. 

“Would be nice to give the rest of us a bit of consideration-” 

“Yes, well, unfortunately that isn’t on my agenda today-” 

“Shit, it’s dark in here,” Nick complained abruptly. “I can’t see a damn thing!” 

“No shit Sherlock,” AJ answered. “Don’tcha think that might have to do with the fact that we’re all blindfolded? Though it doesn’t surprise me that such a fact has obviously passed you-” 

“Shut up, dumb ass. I took the damn thing off.” 

Reaching up to yank the cloth material away from his face, AJ was no less pleased than he was seconds before when he found himself still shrouded in a suffocating darkness. Digging his lighter out of his pants pocket once more, he ignited the flame to watch as the rest of his friends followed suit in removing their blindfolds also. “Carter is actually right for once…” he snickered as he brought the cigarette to his pursed lips for a long drag. Though in the soft glow of the tiny flame, he noticed Kevin watching him intently with an uncertain consideration. “What the Hell you staring at?” he demanded quietly. His dark eyes narrowing, AJ quickly broke the uncomfortable stare and had to swallow several curses when the van jolted roughly. 

“You have something you want to say?” Kevin prompted him, his brows raised in question. 

“As a matter of fact, I can think of a few choice words I’d like to say to you at the moment,” AJ challenged him as his lips curled into a sarcastic smirk. “But I think Nick said it all perfectly yesterday.” 

“So that’s what this is about…” Kevin relented with a tight shake of his head as he sunk back against the interior metal wall of the van. But as the seconds passed, a soft sigh wheezed from his lungs. 

“Let it go, AJ,” Brian warned immediately when he noticed his younger friend’s facial features tense at the impending argument. 

“No, I want to hear what he has to say,” Kevin interrupted with a sharp hiss. “You have something you want to say to me, Alexander, then you say it to my face. Here’s your chance-” 

“I no longer have to answer to you,” AJ snarled as he took another drag from the cigarette and allowed it to idly drop to the floor at his feet. Squishing it with the bottom of his shoe, he offered the eldest man a final look of contempt and released his thumb from the lighter’s igniter lever to extinguish the flame. Although the moment the glow dissipated, he felt a strong grip latch around his wrist and instinctively he reignited the flame to catch Kevin’s piercing stare and face mere inches from his. 

“Say it,” Kevin demanded, his tone low and his brows curling towards the center of his forehead. 

“Get out of my face-” 

“Geez, Aje, why don’t you tell us all how you really feel right now…” Nick chuckled. 

“You obviously have some pent up anger towards me, AJ, so why don’t you just lay it all out on the table, right now,” Kevin insisted, his grip tightening ever so slightly. The quake that seemed to race through AJ’s body didn’t appear to phase him as his breathing became ragged with regret. “Because whether you like it or not, we are stuck together for the next three days-” 

“Anger doesn’t even begin to cover it!” AJ spat as he yanked his hand away and cradled it tenderly against his body, almost as if the older man’s touch had seared his skin. Seething, he inhaled sharply. “I fucking hate you.” 

“Feel better now?” Kevin whispered, and watching as the glow of the flame faded a second time, he sunk back into his seat. 

AJ’s stomach clenched, reeling with a nausea that nearly caused him to double over. He hadn’t expected the guilt to come rushing as the words spilt from his mouth. In fact, he hadn’t expected the statement to dominate the heated moment. Certainly Kevin’s presence alone made his blood boil with irritation, but AJ would never admit that was partly his own fault. Allowing the sores of his resentment to fester for far too long, the pain had finally burst, oozing the fire of his frustration into a statement that in all honesty he didn’t actually mean. 

“You don’t mean that, Alex,” Howie murmured several moments later when the tension in the air grew considerably thicker. 

Although he couldn’t physically see him, AJ winced at the uncomfortable nature of Howie’s tone. And yet, the apology he wished to blurt remained buried within the thick sludge of his conscious. “I’m done talking…” he all but muttered. 

Once again no one spoke, allowing the silence to circulate dangerously. It wasn’t until the van came to a slow, rolling stop an uncalculated amount of time later that it became obvious how withdrawn everyone had become. Following suit after the sound of muffled voices echoed from outside the van, the five men replaced their blindfolds and prepared to stand at the creaking of the door being yanked open. One by one, they were lead down a ramp until everyone had congregated outside on the sodden ground. Time seemed to pass by slowly as blindly they all listened to the sound of the unfamiliar air breezing past their ears, amidst the non-assuring sound of heavy objects thrown at their feet. And then the roar of the van’s engine sent a soft vibration through the ground until finally the silence had settled once again. 

“Well that was rude,” Brian mumbled as he pulled the blindfold away to barely catch sight of the van’s red tail lights fading into the dark distance. Frowning, he reached down to grab hold of the strap of his duffle bag before slinging it sluggishly onto his shoulder. “Suppose it would have been too much of them to actually give us a little more direction…” 

Howie eyed his friend in agreement as he retrieved his own bag and allowed himself a moment to take in their newest surroundings. Cast beneath shadows of a drowning darkness, he was less than pleased to find that the landscape left much to the imagination. Off in the short distance, he was able to make out the faint outline of a forest line of trees that were native to the area and the gravel path they stood upon seemed to lead directly into the middle of it. Though unable to conclude further details, he looked back to his bandmates to find them just as puzzled. “I’m going to assume that’s the safe house,” he mentioned after seconds of contemplation. The others turned in the same direction to see a plain rectangular shaped structure looming several yards ahead of them, much resembling a double wide trailer barely out of the building stages. 

“Talk about five star accommodations,” AJ sarcastically retorted as he took several steps forward. 

“What’d you expect?” Nick returned. 

“I for one don’t want to stand out here any longer than I absolutely have to. So lets head inside and see where we need to go from there,” Brian interrupted and turned to move forward with the assumption that he would naturally be followed. Hearing his friends’ footsteps fall into rhythm with his own, he continued to lead the way until they reached the singular white washed door on the facing exterior wall. Twisting the knob and pushing it open, the interior seemed to be just as dark and desolate as the outside had been, though the temperature was considerably set to a tolerable warmth and Brian welcomed it gratefully. Biting back a curse when his eyes failed to adjust to the darkness, he groped at the closest wall for a light switch and when he finally found it and bathed the room in a bright yellow glow, all the relief he felt sailed right back out the open doorway before Kevin could close it as he brought up the rear. “It could be worse, I suppose.” 

“I would say they spared no expense, but I think that’s clearly a lie,” Kevin stated as he brushed past his cousin and moved towards the center of the room. Slowly turning on his heels as the other shuffled inside, he completed a full circle to take in the proximity of the room. The dismal setup was less than desirable, a conclusion that was showcased by the frown that twisted his normally handsome facial features. Set along the wall just off to his right was a row of small cots covered with white sheets and coarse material forest green flannel blankets that designated their resting area. Though Kevin wondered how much sleep they would actually be getting over the next several days. Dropping his duffel bag to the floor at his feet, he took a few more steps forward. Centered against the furthest wall was a desk and computer system, and off to the immediate left an open doorway lead path into a tiny bathroom that consisted of only a toilet and washing sink. It was conditions he’d hardly imagined, but the challenge had already been set and never one to back down without a fight, Kevin found himself determined to make the best of their situation.

 

“Now what the Hell are we supposed to do?” AJ grumbled as he carelessly tossed his belongings onto a random cot and worked diligently to remove the electronics vest from his body while the others followed suit. Abandoning it next to his bag, he rejoined them as they began to gather around the computer.

 

“Logic would say to consult the computer,” Brian knowingly answered with a small smirk as he lowered himself into the empty swivel seat when no one else exhibited any effort to do so. Reaching for the mouse, he released a deep breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding and cleared the screen saver to reveal the main screen for the program. Then hesitating only a moment more, he finally clicked on the first link labeled ‘BEGIN’ and waited once more with baited breath.

 

“Before you begin, locate the black velvet pouch containing five individually colored patches inside,” a deep male’s voice, almost computerized in a sense, emitted through the speakers stationed on each side of the screen. “You will then reach into the bag, one by one, to choose a colored patch until all colors have been assigned. These colors will be used to determine who is to participate in each dare. Do so now.”

 

“That was easy,” Howie murmured as he held up a medium-sized bag he noticed was placed on the floor by the desk. Eying his bandmates with question, he quirked a brow. “Who’s first?”

 

“If I get some girly color, then I am quitting here and now,” AJ insisted. Taking a step forward, he looked to his feet as he reached into the bag and moved his hand around until it came in contact with a different type of fabric. He held his breath as he withdrew his hand and glanced at the patch. “Red.”

 

“Go ahead, Brian,” Howie mentioned and extended his arm towards his friend.

 

“Green,” Brian answered him a moment later and raised his patch up for view.

 

Kevin took the opportunity to dig inside the bag next and with determination, produced his patch after several drawn out seconds. “Guess I’m yellow,” he shrugged and backed out of the way when Nick pushed his way forward.

 

“It better be something good,” he growled and shoved his hand out of view.

 

“There’s only two colors left, Nick. What exactly are you searching for?” Howie inquired.

 

Removing his hand as he eyed his older friend briefly, Nick’s stormy eyes set into a deep glare of disbelief and disgust at the patch he held in his grasp. “What the Hell?!” he shouted and attempted to drop it back into the bag for another try. Only Howie kept the bag just out of reach, fueling Nick’s frustration as his cheeks tinted a fiery crimson. “No fucking way am I going to be labeled pink and the damn pansy of the group!”

 

“Sorry, Nicky,” Howie fought to keep his laughter at bay as he revealed the last patch, a deep royal blue. “The computer said nothing about second choices.”

 

“Pink suits you,” AJ pat his fuming friend’s shoulder. “Brings out the color of your eyes.”

 

“Kiss off, asshole,” Nick returned with a quick hiss and a flipped middle finger.

 

Waiting until the silence had returned once again, Brian returned his attention to the computer screen and dragged the mouse to the link labeled ‘HISTORY’, giving it a short click and settling into the seat as the screen changed and a video faded into view.

 

“Welcome to Satan’s Playground. Originally named St. Anna’s Hospital, built in 1887, it was the most advanced psychological treatment facility of its time. It was hidden from the judgmental disapproving eyes of society, strategically located within the heart of nature’s beauty, surrounded on all sides by lush green forests and rolling hills. Geared towards treating the curable mentally ill and to confine those deemed as a threat to themselves and others, St. Anna’s contained an abundance of one hundred patient rooms and had the capability of housing up to three hundred patients at any given time, with a staff consisting of two keepers to maintain the condition of the grounds and facility itself, six nurses, four matrons to overlook the care of female patients, and four physicians. Also located within St. Anna’s pristine red brick walls was a full service chapel that allowed patients multiple days a week the opportunity to mend their spiritual path, often the widespread belief for the origin of one’s mental illness.

 

Life at St. Anna’s consisted of a strict daily regimen of therapy, medical treatment, and recreational activities, both indoors and outdoors. It was believed by the staff that interaction between the patients under controlled supervised conditions would aid in the healing of one’s state of mental health. However, medical treatments for psychiatric disorders during the late nineteenth century were never a pleasant ordeal and often consisted of forms of restraint and the application of discomfort, as many believed the irrational behavior exhibited by the mentally ill to be a conscious choice that the patients were to be dissuaded from, all measures also believed to be best suited when assuring the physical safety of the individual patient.

 

Often times, patients were placed under a variety of restraining devices and drugs, while also subjected to sometimes cruel and borderline abusive treatments, such as cold plunge baths where a patient was secured by an iron band in a strongly made wooden arm chair and dipped repeatedly into a deep tub of cold water. Bloodletting was another form of treatment, though not as widely used but believed that the act of withdrawal of often considerable quantities of blood from a patient could possibly cure the illness inflicting their mental stability. Leeches would be used on some occasions to induce syncope, or fainting, and was considered to be a beneficial treatment. Patients were also subjected to the acts of cupping glasses, blistering slaves, and shock therapy by means of electrostatic machines where short bolts of high voltage electricity or low continuous currents were administered at short intervals.

 

There were consequences for a patient’s refusal to cooperate, lack of response to treatment, or blatant disruption to daily life at St. Anna’s. The “Hole of Despair” or Isolation Chamber was used in such extreme cases of violent outbursts exhibited. Patients would be taken to the isolation chamber where they would be administered doses of paralyzing drugs and kept isolated from the rest of the residents, often remaining there for days at a time. One such patient, a man by the name of George Pelowski, was most notorious for spending the longest recorded times in isolation in all the history of St. Anna’s. 

 

George Pelowski came to St. Anna’s in the fall of 1937, fifty years after the hospital first opened it’s doors. Suffering from an acute case of schizophrenia, Pelowski exhibited much a wide variety of odd behavior, dating back to the early days of his youth and through out his days at St. Anna’s. Horrific tales of nonsense and irrational behavior, sometimes harmful towards other patients, led to Pelowski being isolated from the rest of the residents. They kept him under close surveillance, fearful that his outbursts and exaggerated threats against the safety of others would only be detrimental to the healing of the other patients. It would, however, be at the hands of the man named George Pelowski that St. Anna’s, a safe haven of hope for the mentally ill, would crumble in a blaze of sheer terror.

 

October 3rd, 1942, marked a horrific end to the life of St. Anna’s Hospital. Morning staff returned to the hospital to discover bloody carnage and wandering patients of those who had survived the previous night’s massacre. It is believed that in the middle of the night of October 2nd, George Pelowski managed to escape the watchful eyes of those ordered to watch over his security and those of the other patients, living out the delusional threats of satanic rights and rituals he was known to express. Walls were adorned with bloody satanic symbols and claims of the devil’s rising, as well as symbols carved into over half of the near unrecognizable corpses. Among those who perished at the hands of Pelowski’s evil were two young female nurses, an elder matron, chief physician Harry Williams and his only daughter, twelve year old Addilyn Williams who had accompanied her father the previous night to fuel her curiosity of the medical world. However, despite dark and twisted passages written upon the hospital walls detailing the demise of Pelowski himself, remains of the man responsible for a massive wave of death within the hospital walls were never recovered. St. Anna’s doors were quickly closed and a community shadowed in the memory of such a disaster tried to forget.

 

Over the decades since St. Anna’s tragedy, paranormal teams, investigators, and law officials have since returned to the decaying walls of the once bustling institution, to unmask hidden details, investigate accounts of possible paranormal activity from visitors beforehand, and possibly solve the mystery of George Pelowski’s disappearance. Your job over the next three nights will be to conduct your own investigation of the place now known as ‘Satan’s Playground’. You will be visiting four key locations while completing a series of dares: the Isolation Chamber, Room 669, the Chapel, and the Basement. At the end of the three nights, after all dares have been completed, it will be up to you to decide if ‘Satan’s Playground’ is indeed haunted.

 

Good luck.”

“What…the…Hell…?” AJ murmured, his brows creasing as he slowly straightened his posture and glanced curiously to his equally as baffled bandmates. Watching Brian turn the chair to face the rest of them, his expression grim, he immediately crossed his arms over his chest. “They have got to be kidding, right? This is absolutely insane! Satan’s Playground?!” 

“That’s pretty fucked up,” Nick whispered. 

“Could you give me any more of an understatement, Nick?” AJ retorted. 

“I’m sure some of that had to of been exaggerated,” Howie attempted to reason as he idly dropped the black velvet pouch onto the surface of the desk. Though he seemed no less certain about the information then any of them. “I mean, it makes sense. Think about it. We’re officially on a show called ‘FEAR’. I would think it would make sense that they’re going to do whatever it takes to up the chances of scaring the crap out of us while the cameras are rolling, which is the whole purpose to begin with. Besides, they were known to embellish the stories and histories of locations during the original two seasons. What would make this any different?” 

“You realize they can hear us right now?” AJ mentioned, his brows cocked. “And you’re openly bashing their intelligence-” 

“Which is why I don’t understand why you are whining like a hormonal girl in the first place,” Howie interrupted in return. 

“Why don’t we just get started with this before we continue arguing about how ridiculous this all really is?” Kevin suggested. “We have three days to figure out what we’ve managed to get ourselves into. No sense in complaining about it now.” 

“Old man of wisdom,” Nick snorted. 

“Ready?”  Brian spoke, the hesitance lacing his voice more obvious than he cared to admit. 

“Go ahead, Bri,” Kevin approved. 

“Here goes nothing,” Brian mumbled and inhaling deeply, he brought the mouse to the link in the bottom right hand corner of the screen labeled ‘NEXT’. 

Dare ONE,” the computer spoke as the words flashed upon the screen. “Green will blindfold Blue and will accompany Blue to the front entrance of the hospital where both will wait for further instruction. Red will navigate.”