- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope that, now that I've rewritten the first 3 chapters, I'll get more reviews as well. It's been a while since the last update but I'm slowly on getting back into my "writer's bubble". (:

Oh, and the Boys will soon be involved as well.
I didn’t want to answer. I was afraid that if I would, I’d break down in tears. The night of the attack was still freshly in my mind like it had happened just a few days ago. I didn’t want to talk about it. How much I tried to ignore it, I still saw it happening in my mind.

*Flashback*

It was Thursday night and me and Ellen were strolling on the pavement along the streets in San Francisco. The night was young; it was only 1 am. We just returned from a birthday which was, seeing the time, a lot of fun.

We arrived at Ellen’s house after a short 5 minutes. “Are you coming inside for another drink?” Ellen asked inbetween giggles.

“Nah, thanks. I have a long day ahead for tomorrow. I need my sleep,” I said and stretched my arms to emphasize the fact I was tired.

“Ok, then. We’ll call tomorrow. Good night!” Ellen said as she closed her front door.

I continued walking with my hands in the pockets of my coat. I didn’t live that far from Ellen’s house, which was a good thing. We wouldn’t have to travel long if we wanted to see eachother.

We might live close to eachother, even in that short distance a lot of things can happen. And it did that night.

When I took a shortcut into an alley, I heard footsteps behind me. I didn’t look back to see if someone was walking behind me, I already knew that someone did. However, I didn’t think the person behind me was aiming for me.

Before I knew it, a man suddenly appeared right in front of me. He startled me and I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Hi,” the man said with a crooked smile.

“H-hey,” I stuttered and took a few steps back to get a good sight of him. When I could clearly see his face, I gasped.

“I know you,” I muttered.

“Of course,” he said as he turned his head sideward in an attempt to hide his smile. Then he turned his head back to me with a serious look on his face. “Everybody knows me.”

“Wh-what are you doing here? What do you want?” I said, slowly stepping back some more.

The man stepped forward every time I took a step back. “I was wondering if you could help me with something.”

“Like, what?” I didn’t want to know the answer though.

“You see, I’m so hungry and I have no money.”

“What the hell, you have enough money to buy three cars,” I swallowed.

He took a quick sprint, so fast my brain couldn’t even comprehend. He pinned me against the wall, my wrists above my head. “You’re gonna feed me,” he whispered hungrily.

“How? I don’t have any food with me. If you want my money, take it,” I said terrified.

He grinned. “I don’t want your money. I want you.”

“What?!” I shrieked. Right after that I saw him opening his mouth, showing two white sharp fangs. Before I could scream, he already bowed his head to my neck and sunk his fangs deep in it. The pain; it was unbearable. It hurt so much, I wasn’t even capable of screaming. Fire. My body was on fire. It was burning, like a huge fireball was there in my chest. And another one, in my head. It burnt everywhere. But I couldn’t move. I just stared with huge eyes at the night sky as he slowly started sucking blood out of me. I started feeling weaker and weaker, muscle by muscle. I practically hung in his arms now.

“Please,” I whispered hoarsely as I felt my life slowly coming to an end. One second I was in his arms, dying, as he sucked from me. The other second I felt myself falling on the ground with a hard thump. I was too weak to move. I laid on my right side, one arm draped above me. While I was trying to keep my eyelids from closing, I saw the man fighting with another man. The second man was wearing a cap, sunglasses and a hoodie, hiding his face.

I was too weak to wonder why the second man was wearing sunglasses at night. I just watched the fight unfolding in front of me. Soon enough the second man won the fight and my attacker ran away in such a speed that it was even for my eyes impossible to follow. The second man turned and walked up to me. Well, he rather rushed to me in the same speed as my attacker. I felt two hands taking hold of me as I was lifted up from the cold ground. I didn’t want to be lifted up. The cold floor felt rather nice against my burning body, though I knew it wouldn’t stop it.

“Don’t worry, I’ll save you,” I heard a kind voice saying close to my ear. The next moment, he bit me.

What?
Again? I wanted to panick and yell but the only thing I could do was groan softly. However, I felt he wasn’t sucking from me. Well, he was sucking but not my blood. I felt the thing that caused me so much pain, that made me feel like I was on fire, fade away from my body. Whatever it was, he was sucking it out of me.

After a few minutes he pulled his teeth out of the wound. He wiped off his mouth with his sleeve and spit on the ground next to him.

The pain inside of me was gone. The fireballs faded away. I was relieved even though my neck still hurt like hell.

“C’mon. I will take you away from here,” the man said, and that was all I remembered because then everything faded to black as I fell into unconsciousness.


*End of flashback*

“So?”

I scared at the unexpected voice of Jack. I was so deep into my thoughts that I totally forgot I was in the car, next to Jack, who was patiently waiting for an answer.

“I… I…,” I stuttered but fell quiet again as I stared with an empty look in my eyes at my shoes.

“I see. You can’t explain it, it’s too hard for you,” Jack sniffed. He understood but he was still eager to know. I could tell by his face. “Well, we have time enough. Maybe you could describe to me how your attacker looked like?”

I thought about the face of my attacker. Someone I never expected to be the one to attack me like that. “I knew him,” I whispered with a dark look.

Jack rose an eyebrow. “You mean, you’ve met him before?”

“Well, no. I just knew his face. In fact, everybody knows his face,” I rolled my eyes at the last sentence.

“Do I know him?”

“Well, if you’re a crazy, obsessed teenybopper, you might do,” I said as I made a face. All boyband fans were teenyboppers. And I happened to be friends with one.

Jack snickered. “Teenybopper? What’s that?”

“Well, you know. A screaming, crying, hysterical fan,” I said while making gestures with my hands.

“So… if I understood right, your attacker is someone famous?”

I sighed. “Unfortunately.”

“Hmm.” He stared grimly outside the window, focusing on the road. “Then I might know him.”

“In the sense of, if he’s famous I know him because I know many famous people, or in the sense of, if he’s famous I know him because I know a famous vampire?” I said in one breath.

“In the sense of, if he’s famous I know him because I know a famous vampire.”

I groaned. “That’s what I was afraid of.”

“There are only a couple of vampires that are famous as well among the hunters as among the mortals.”

I huffed at the word ‘mortals’. “And I’m afraid my best friend is a fan of them.”

In a split second, Jack pushed down the brake and the car came to a halt. My upper body fell forward but was stopped by the seatbelt, and fell back into the comfy seat. I had to catch a deep breath at the sudden stop. “What’s up?” I asked confused.

Jack turned to me with a serious face. “Did you know that your best friend is in great danger by being a fan of them?”

I sunk down in my seat, feeling quite intimidated by the tone of Jack’s voice. “No, I didn’t realize that,” I said with a small voice.

“Of course,” Jack sighed, turned back into his seat and ran his hand through his messy, long grey hair.

“What now?”

He sighed again. “Well, as long as she stays away from VIPs and such, she should be ok.”

“Wait, are we talking about the same ones?”

“There are only a few vampires with crazy, hysterical fans.” He slowly pushed down the accelerator and the car started driving again. “But tell me now, if you know him, you know his name, right?”

I nodded quickly.

“Who of the four was it?”

“Four? Oh yeah, we’re definitely talking about the same ones,” I snorted.

Who of the four?”

I sighed in defeat. I couldn’t postpone it anymore, I had to answer now.

“Alright, it’s Nick Carter.”

“That son of a bitch! I knew it was him!” Jack yelled to my surprise.

“Oh well, in that case, he must be quite famous among the hunters,” I muttered.

“Damn right he is! I have been after him for years! But everytime I have a chance to kill him, he gets away somehow!” he shook his head in dismay.

“You said my best friend has to stay away from VIPs. Do I want to know why?”

“Well, it’s their private moment with their fans. The perfect chance to feed themselves unnoticed.”

I shivered as the image of a group of innocent fans, excited for their meeting with their favorite boyband, is being rudely killed by their idols. “Oh,” I sighed sadly. “Do they do this at every VIP or meet & greet?”

“Only when they’re hungry. Sometimes they kidnap one or two for dessert.”

“Ugh, don’t talk about them as if they’re part of dinner!” I scowled.

“It’s true. It’s reality. And if your best friend is going to take part of a VIP or a meet & greet, there isn’t much chance you’ll ever see her back again.”


I swallowed. “I will make sure she won’t purchase any VIP or whatever else. She doesn’t have the money now anyway.”

“But someday she will,” he said rigid.

Our conversation fell quiet after that. I was trying to think of ways to keep Ellen from going to a VIP or a meet & greet, but it was an unsuccessful attempt.

After half an hour of pure silence, we arrived at an old house. Jack stopped the car. “Here we are. My residence.”

With that, he opened the door and got out.