- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next part, hope you like!

Chapter 4

“Ugh” I groaned once again as the alarm went off, waking me from a dream in which I was killing zombies with a pick axe. It was a totally awesome dream!

I swung out of bed and headed straight for the bathroom. I had time for a nice long shower this morning, so that’s exactly what I did.

“Hmm…what to have for breakfast” I mused to myself as I looked at the boxes of cereal on the shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards. I couldn’t decide, so thought I’d close my eyes and pick whichever one I caught hold of first – it turned out to be Cap’n Crunch today.

By 8.37 I was out of the door and on my way to work, a bit of Bon Jovi rocking out of the car stereo. It was Wednesday and therefore the hump of the week, after today we’d be on the countdown to the weekend, which was always something to smile about!

“Still up for the gym after work?” Alex asked when I strolled into the office. We tried to go at least twice a week, but then usually ruined our hard work with a curry and a pint in the local pub afterwards.

“You trying to back out of it McLean?” I teased “worried you won’t be able to handle the weights bench?”

“We both know that was just an accident” he protested. The last time we’d gone to the gym, he was lying on the bench, doing his bench presses, when the weight fell backwards and rolled across the floor. I hadn’t stopped laughing for a full five minutes!

“Excuses, excuses” I laughed

“I bet you I can do more bench presses than you” he challenged

“Is that a bet you’re willing to put money on?” I queried, hoping we could make it interesting.

“Too right, but how about the loser buys the drinks in the pub afterwards?” he suggested.

“Deal” I said and we shook on it. I couldn’t wait to be drinking beer for free later!

We got down to work before Kevin decided to come over and see what we were up to. He had a habit of sneaking up on us and catching us doing things we shouldn’t be doing, like updating our Facebook status. Facebook and MSN were supposed to be banned in the office, but of course we ignored that rule. It had been banned due to a couple of stupid fuckers on other contracts who were hanging up on customers, or putting them on hold unnecessarily because they were too busy with Facebook (the guy had been caught with his hand down his pants whilst looking at nude pictures of girls in his friends list) or chatting on MSN (not just any kind of chat though, I’d heard the guy had been web camming with some chick who’d been putting on a dildo show).

It was another morning for irate customers, although today Howie was on the receiving end and ended up with John Crisp, the customer from hell. Howie was usually the calmest person among us, but after ten minutes with John Crisp, he wasn’t looking so cool and collected.

“I need a coffee…anyone else want one from the machine while I’m up?” he asked as he tossed his headset down onto his desk and stood up.

“I’ll have a number fifty three” I called out and leaned back in my chair.

“Anyone else?” Howie called.

“Go on then, I’ll have a fifty six” Brian replied

“Water please” Alex requested.

“I’d better take the drink holder then” Howie smiled and reached over to grab it off Brian’s desk, before walking over to the drinks machines.

It had gone really quiet in work and I was in the mood for a prank. With Howie away from his desk, an idea came to mind.

“Hey Bri, did Howie lock his computer when he got up?” I asked casually.

“Hang on” Brian answered and then leaned over to look “no, he didn’t. Why?”

“Oh no reason” I grinned and wheeled my chair over to his desk. Hmm, what can I do? I tapped my chin for a few seconds whilst I was thinking and then googled ‘women sumo wrestlers’. A few seconds later his desktop background was changed and I was laughing my way back to my desk.

“What did you do?” Brian asked in a hushed voice as Howie was coming back.

“Nothing” I grinned “just thought it was about time he got himself a new background”

“He’s gonna freak” Brian chuckled

“Probably” I laughed

We managed to wipe the grins off our faces before he got back.

“Here you go” Howie said handing the drinks out before carrying his own back to his desk.

He unlocked his computer (I’d locked it for him so he’d have a nice surprise) and then almost choked on his coffee when he saw his screen.

“What the hell? Who’s been messing with my computer? Women sumo wrestlers? Ugh!” he said and then turned to look accusingly at us.

Alex reached across and high fived me.

“I knew it must be you” Howie shook his head “you’d better not have done anything else”

“As if!” I replied. Although I liked a good prank, I wouldn’t have caused any harm to anyone’s computer. I usually just locked their account, or changed their password to something ridiculous, or unplugged their mouse, or gave them an interesting background, or adjusted their chair…you get the idea.

“That’ll teach you to leave your desk without locking your computer” Brian laughed.

“I guess so” Howie gave in and smiled.

Five o’clock soon came around and it was time to get out of the office and go to the gym. I was quietly confident that Alex would be buying the drinks later.

“You ready to lose the bet?” he asked as we changed into out gym clothes.

“I hope you brought plenty of money because I’m going to work up quite a thirst here” I smirked.

After an hour of cardio stuff, is was time for weights. I had a long drink from my water bottle before lying down on the weights bench.

“OK Carter, let’s see what you got” Alex crossed his arms across his chest and began counting with me.

“Impressed?” I asked when I’d done as many as I could. My arms were killing me.

“Not as impressed as you’ll be” he shrugged and positioned himself on the bench.

“All talk” I laughed

“We’ll see” he replied and began bench pressing.

The bastard!

“I think the drinks are on you tonight Carter” Alex said as he sat up and shook out his arms to get the feeling back properly.

“Great” I muttered.

There’d be other bets, of that I was sure.