- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the last chapter, hope you like!

Chapter 6

Friday arrived and I was on a late shift, ten until six, so I had a bit of a lie in before getting out of bed. I needed it after a late night playing World of Warcraft, once I start playing that; I can be playing for hours and hours.

Seeing as we could wear what we liked on a Friday, I just threw on the first pair of jeans and t-shirt that I could find. They looked clean and that was good enough for me!

“Morning Nick” Kevin said when I strolled in at five to ten “late night?”

“How’d you guess?” I asked

“You look like you just rolled out of bed” he replied as he shook his head. He could be an arse when he wanted to be, but on the whole, he was a good guy. Who else would put up with the shit Alex pulled from time to time, or my pranks?

I logged on to my computer and was relieved to see that there was nothing new in my work queue just yet. Perhaps we’d be in for an easy day today.

“Do anything good last night guys?” I asked my little group of co-workers, who were also very good friends.

“Leighanne wanted to go and see that new chick flick” Brian replied.

“And Brian here is so whipped, he took her on the opening night” Alex laughed.

“Well, at least I know how to keep a woman happy…unlike you, who can’t seem to keep a girl for more than a couple of weeks” Brian retorted.

“I know how to keep them happy, I just get bored of them” Alex shrugged “but maybe this one will be different”

“Oh yeah, you seen her again then?” Howie asked.

“As a matter of fact, she came over last night” Alex grinned.

“Must be getting serious!” I exclaimed.

“We’ll see” he smiled “let me guess, you were playing games last night?”

“World of Warcraft” I replied “it was a long night”

“Guessed as much” Howie said.

“And what did you do that was so interesting?” I asked Howie who as usual, looked well groomed and out of place amongst the rest of us. We were all in jeans and t-shirts (although I have to say, the rest of them looked as if they’d ironed their clothes, whereas I hadn’t bothered), and Howie was in a smart pair of jeans with a shirt.

“I spent a nice evening in with my girlfriend” he replied.

Maybe I’d have to get out there and get myself a girlfriend, it had been a while. But on the other hand, I was also enjoying the single life and doing whatever I wanted, when I wanted to do it. Maybe I’d go out on the weekend and see if I could entice a girl back for a one night stand.

“Anyone fancy a night out tomorrow?” I asked hopefully.

“Sorry dude, I’ve got plans” Alex answered.

“Me too” Brian replied “we’re going out for a meal”

“I’ll come out for a few drinks” Howie responded “we could go to that new place; I hear it’s good there”

“Cool” I replied. Even though Howie could be quite serious, he knew how to have a good time when he let himself, and he’d keep me out of trouble, which is always a good thing.

I was on the fifth call when Kevin sent an email out to the team asking which pizza we wanted today. It was the last Friday of the month and therefore Pizza Friday. Kevin bought them for us as a thank you for our hard work during the month. He was good like that and even though we did mess about sometimes, we got the work done efficiently.

Hmm, what do I fancy today?

I had a quick look at the Dominos menu and emailed him back that I’d have a Meat Feast. Howie was having the Tandoori Hot, Brian decided on Pepperoni Passion, whilst Alex went for The Sizzler. I loved Pizza Friday!

About an hour later, the pizzas arrived and we dug in after thanking Kevin. It was usual for a customer to call when I had a mouthful of delicious pizza, and today was no different. I’d just bitten off a huge bite when I heard the beep in my ear to signal a new call.

Fucking great!

I quickly swallowed the pizza down and greeted my caller in the usual way. Luckily for me it was a quick fix, I just had to reconfigure some of her settings to allow her access to the internet, and then I was able to go back to my pizza. There’s something about free food that makes it even more delicious, not that Dominos isn’t delicious at any time!

We spent the rest of the afternoon tackling the few calls which came in – Fridays were usually very quiet – and talking about food, drink, films and TV shows. Today’s topic was action films and TV shows.

“Y’know, if I was a girl, I’d totally go for Christian Bale” I said.

“Dude, that is one of the gayest things you’ve ever said!” Alex laughed.

“C’mon, you know what I mean” I defended myself. I was in no way gay (nothing against gay people, just not for me) but I could understand the attraction to him.

“Leighanne doesn’t like him” Brian added “she does like Brad Pitt though”

“He’s made some good films” I agreed “but he’s no action hero”

“Who do you reckon are the top ten action hero actors?” Howie asked.

We spent about an hour discussing who we thought deserved to be in the top ten, and then moved on to actresses and our top ten women we’d like to ‘do’. Brian admitted that if Jennifer Aniston offered herself to him, he’d take her up on it, but to be fair he’d let Leighanne have a night with Brad Pitt. Kevin was just smiling and shaking his head at his desk. As it was quiet in the office he could hear our discussion, but he had nothing against us talking when our work was up to date. In fact, he sometimes came over and joined in.

Four thirty arrived and Alex was first to leave the office as he’d been on the early shift.

“Have a good weekend guys, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” he grinned. That wasn’t leaving much!

“See ya” we all called out and then he was gone.

Working until six sucked on a Friday.

Five o’clock saw the departure of Brian.

“Have a good weekend Bri, see you Monday” I said, with Howie saying almost exactly the same.

“Same to you guys, see you” he said and vanished out of the door.

Howie and I talked between the odd call that came in, and then at five thirty, he too was on his way.

“I’ll call you tomorrow, we can decide what time to meet up” he said.

“OK, sounds good” I replied “see ya”.

Kevin left a few minutes later and then I was all on my own (although there were still other people dotted around on other teams). The last half hour of a late shift was always quiet, so I browsed Ebay for a while and then updated my Facebook and Twitter seeing as no one was about to see my screen. Before long, six o’clock arrived and it was time to switch my computer off and go home.

It was the end of another working week in the story of my life.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Of course this isn't exactly like my working week (it's not all fun and games) but it's not a bad place to work :)